daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 15th, 2008, 11:22 PM   #301
Mahratta
Ayatollah

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeksregistration View Post
I live in belgium for only 8 years,
first of all bruges is older then Brussels, and what are you saying, there are a dozen cities like bruges, oh yes that's why there that many tourists, because they can choose between a dozen cities that all are simular, and there are also a dozen amsterdam's and venices..... the list of unesco is fine, about damascus your wright ( mistake), I'm not a nationalist buth when you visiting bruges, ghent ..what ever it's unic ( also cities out of europ), you think only cities as old as rome, beijing.... are historical?? so a city of 1000years isn't historical. me? a orientalists?? ha! like what ever..
You seem to be misunderstanding. I don't care about age, but Brussels has held far more historical significance than Bruges, and has a fair bit more historical testament and structures in it. There are dozens of cities like Bruges, I didn't say in Belgium but go to countries in Europe like Italy, France, Germany, etc., and I'm not even going to talk about the Middle East, India, China etc.

I never said you were an orientalist, I said the UNESCO list was compiled by a group of folks like you AND a bunch of 'orientalists'.

Sponsored Links
Old May 15th, 2008, 11:59 PM   #302
kosimodo
Mapmaker

Likes (Received): 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeksregistration View Post
Bruges: VENICE of the north, it's all from the middle ages
THE HOLE OLD CITY IS PROTECTED BY UNESCO
It is very nice Brugge, but most of the city is not really old. It just looks old..... and is built in the 18th century..

Which is not really old
kosimodo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 12:53 AM   #303
freeksregistration

Likes (Received): 14

hmm i think you can not compare a italian city as pisa or..... with a city like bruges. (i'm not saying bruges is better the're just different) it's like compare brussels with praghue or something.
I really think bruges is important as a monument, I also know there are much more important things, buth it's the density, not a single modern building (accept the theater)
yes there are also very nice buildings, cities in the world better then bruges what ever.
I'm still saying Bruges is a one of a kind, because it's so athentic (?) I think you are wrong about saying there are a dozen bruges in europ. that's like saying there are a dozen venices, those are my thougths, ...end
freeksregistration no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 12:54 PM   #304
Grumpey

Likes (Received): 55

There is really too much focus on the age of the history. If something happened two centuries ago, it is as worthfull as a pile of stones from BC. It is more the way it is represented imo, and the way how it is preserved/integrated in modern society.
A city like Brugge is not unique, it is nice, but just not unique. Venice is for instance unique. And Brugges just calls themselves the Venice of the North, like Amsterdam does (I my opinion even better). I haven't been to Asia, so I can't really judge their cities.

Another critic on some reactions in this topic would be that some people tend to focus on big cities. If the city is not big nowadays, it would probably have no significant history anymore. I hear a lot of London/Athens...
In my opinion, Athens is still one of the cities with the most air pollution and London the city with the most destroyed old buildings ever. I just hope that these cities are not the best representatives of a 'most historic city', that would be horrible.
Grumpey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 04:32 PM   #305
AAL

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpey View Post
There is really too much focus on the age of the history. If something happened two centuries ago, it is as worthfull as a pile of stones from BC. It is more the way it is represented imo, and the way how it is preserved/integrated in modern society.
A city like Brugge is not unique, it is nice, but just not unique. Venice is for instance unique. And Brugges just calls themselves the Venice of the North, like Amsterdam does (I my opinion even better). I haven't been to Asia, so I can't really judge their cities.

Another critic on some reactions in this topic would be that some people tend to focus on big cities. If the city is not big nowadays, it would probably have no significant history anymore. I hear a lot of London/Athens...
In my opinion, Athens is still one of the cities with the most air pollution and London the city with the most destroyed old buildings ever. I just hope that these cities are not the best representatives of a 'most historic city', that would be horrible.
Athens is not so polluted anymore, we are not in the 1980's.

But as an Athenian who has lived in London for many years, I believe that Athens may be the city with the most destroyed old buildings ever! At least proportionally. We are talking about thousands of neoclassical houses wiped out, a few of them by the war but most of them by the post-war building boom. Of course London is bigger, so maybe in absolute numbers it has lost more buildings, I don't know.
I think Berlin is good rival for that title, too!

Last edited by AAL; May 16th, 2008 at 04:52 PM.
AAL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 09:39 PM   #306
Masters At Work

Likes (Received): 1830

Athens, Rome , Jerusalem, Alexandrie
Masters At Work no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 04:15 PM   #307
persian
Persian Gulf

Likes (Received): 551

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaitreyaSequeira View Post

No, the topic is about the city with the most historical significance / historical areas. You don't think Damascus is historical? Why? Because it isn't in Europe?

Leave your damn country and visit the world - or maybe leave your damn closed mental space and think about other parts of the world - maybe Middle East, Africa, or Asia?

I can tell you that cities like Bruges are a dime a dozen all around Europe, India, China, Iran, etc. The UNESCO World heritage sites need a big remake - probably compiled by a whole bunch of folks like you with a few 'Orientalists' thrown in for good measure.

My list - a few for each sphere of influence, I can't mix apples with oranges

Eurosphere - Rome, Athens, Istanbul / Constantinople, Paris, Moscow, London, Grenada
Islamosphere - Baghdad, Cairo, Damascus, Jerusalem, Mekkah, Istanbul / Constantinople
Persosphere - Samarqand, Tehran, Isfahan, Kabul, Fars Province (Shiraz, Persepolis)
Indosphere - Delhi, Benares, Angkor, Ayathuyya, Patna (Pataliputra), Lucknow, Lahore
Sinosphere - Beijing, Kyoto, X'ian, Chengdu, Hangzhou, Nanjing, Kaifeng

Visit Iran forum

Alitezar's great Tehran thread

The biggest problem with Iranian people is that they don't know just how great their country can be.
persian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 06:50 PM   #308
croomm

hei guys what with you???
Muhosransk of course
croomm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2008, 01:23 PM   #309
Skyline_FFM
Atheism rulez!

Likes (Received): 110

Jericho, Jerusalem, Gizeh (the Pyramids), some other cities in the Middle East...
Old July 31st, 2008, 02:59 PM   #310
Kaiser
Herr

Likes (Received): 22

Vienna, Kyoto, Rome
Old July 31st, 2008, 05:20 PM   #311
Hindustani

Likes (Received): 626

In NO particular order

Delhi, Damascus, Rome, Athens, London, Cairo, Istanbul, Beijing, Agra, Baghdad, Samarkand, Casablanca, Mecca, Medina, Ayodhya, Alexandria, Paris, Lhasa, Isfahan, Persapolis, Jerusalum, ........

Last edited by Hindustani; July 31st, 2008 at 06:40 PM.
Hindustani no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2008, 11:03 PM   #312
MPC_PT
My part-time is SSC!!

Likes (Received): 1

Lisbon, Oporto and Athens
MPC_PT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2008, 11:11 PM   #313
Mahratta
Ayatollah

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPC_PT View Post
Lisbon, Oporto and Athens
Er..why are two in Portugal?
Old August 10th, 2008, 03:23 AM   #314
ruben.briosa
BANNED

Likes (Received): 18

Rome, Lisbon and Athens.
ruben.briosa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2008, 01:04 PM   #315
Skyline_FFM
Atheism rulez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaitreyaSequeira View Post
Er..why are two in Portugal?
Because some people are biased and ignore the ancient 4.000 to 5.000 year old culture of the Middle Eastern and Asian countires!
Old August 11th, 2008, 05:10 PM   #316
bolo-ju

Likes (Received): 2

Toledo (Spain)
1º prehistoric people
2º romans
3ºvisigothics (capital city)
4ºmuslims
5ºChirstians:
-Catholics kings (capital citY)
-Spanish empire, Charles V Emperor (Capital city)
etc...
bolo-ju no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2008, 11:00 PM   #317
Skyline_FFM
Atheism rulez!

-Jericho, was founded around 8,500 before Christ, had the first city walls around 8,000.

-Çatalhöyük, today's Turkey was founded around 7,500 BC, had it's flowering time around 6,000 BC and had 10,000 inhabitants.

Mentioning Spain, I would rather say Cádiz, not Toledo since Cádiz was already a strong settlement in Phoenician times!
Old August 12th, 2008, 01:17 AM   #318
roberto0qs
:D

Likes (Received): 130

Hi! I invite to visit my signature's thread!
Old August 12th, 2008, 04:17 AM   #319
l'eau
BANNED

Likes (Received): 126

Istanbul of course!
l'eau no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 04:21 AM   #320
romanyo

Likes (Received): 16

How do you know which city is more or less historic??

I supose you are ranking the oldest cities
romanyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
history