daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old January 8th, 2009, 01:39 PM   #361
Federicoft
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 12,613
Likes (Received): 4340


I think what makes Rome "historic" are not its monuments or the vestiges of its past. They are (mildly) impressive (BTW, there is much more to do and see in Rome other than that pile of ruins), but there are cities which are older and have at least as much as Rome.

It's rather its impact on the last two millennia of human history, still enduring on today's world. Just to sum it up briefly: Latin and Romance languages; Christianity; republicanism; the spread of Greek art, philosophy and democracy; classical architecture; Baroque; civil law.

Last edited by Federicoft; January 23rd, 2009 at 01:27 PM.
Federicoft no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 8th, 2009, 01:46 PM   #362
Pincio
S.P.Q.R.
 
Pincio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Possis nihil Urbe Roma visere maius
Posts: 7,896
Likes (Received): 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federicoft View Post
but there are cities which are older.
This is not the thread of "oldest cities"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federicoft View Post
and have at least as much as Rome.
Not in Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federicoft View Post
It's rather its impact on the last two millennia of human history, still enduring on today's world. Just to sum it up briefly: Latin and Romance languages; Christianity; republicanism; the spread of Greek art, philosophy and democracy; classical architecture; Baroque; civil law.
True.

Last edited by Pincio; January 8th, 2009 at 01:54 PM.
Pincio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2009, 02:34 PM   #363
isaidso
the new republic
 
isaidso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The United Provinces of America
Posts: 29,633
Likes (Received): 10788

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kame View Post
America becoming a nation led to the Industrial Revolution?

Anyway, the winner is ... ROME!
Exactly, the industrial revolution started in Europe, Britain specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatDarnSacramentan View Post
No, this is what I'm trying to say. History is a chain reaction: because of Boston in part, the Revolutionary War started. That led to America becoming a nation, which led to all sorts of ripples throughout the world. Industrial Revolution, Great Depression, etc. Besides, it's my opinion. Opinions can't be wrong. They can just be not right to another person of a differing view.
America was a continent before the creation of the United States of America, and remains a continent today.
__________________
World's 1st Baseball Game: June 4th, 1838, Beachville, Ontario, Canada
North America's Oldest Pro Football Teams: Toronto Argonauts (1873) and Hamilton Tiger Cats (1869)

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; January 8th, 2009 at 02:42 PM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2009, 04:19 PM   #364
vittorio tauber
Doing It My Way
 
vittorio tauber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Am Ufer des Tessins.
Posts: 11,097
Likes (Received): 15507

Western History: the winner is Rome . No issue. Special mentions: Paris, London, Constantinople (though East of the West).

Globalised World: today New York. Tomorrow who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatDarnSacramentan View Post
No, this is what I'm trying to say. History is a chain reaction: because of Boston in part, the Revolutionary War started. That led to America becoming a nation, which led to all sorts of ripples throughout the world. Industrial Revolution, Great Depression, etc. Besides, it's my opinion. Opinions can't be wrong. They can just be not right to another person of a differing view.
History as a chain reaction and opinions can't be wrong?

In few words: history is a consistent narration drawn from a network of related facts among countless, not a set of cause-for-effect billiard balls, while opinions may well be wrong. Facts are true, whatever definition of "fact" you may give. (Nietzsche is dead, BTW).

Last edited by vittorio tauber; January 8th, 2009 at 09:59 PM.
vittorio tauber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 10:17 AM   #365
Leofold
Registered User
 
Leofold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mersin
Posts: 1,098
Likes (Received): 203

Asia Minor.
Leofold no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2009, 06:44 PM   #366
Mr.Burn
Il cabrone
 
Mr.Burn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tijuana, Mexico
Posts: 806
Likes (Received): 170

I dont even understand why Mexico City is not being mentioned at all, the historical importance of that place is incredible, truly a historical place.
__________________
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!!!
Mr.Burn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2009, 07:06 PM   #367
Joelre
Turkish hottie
 
Joelre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Uranus
Posts: 203
Likes (Received): 48

Constantinople> Istanbul
__________________
Muhtaš olduğun kudret, damarlarındaki asil kanda mevcuttur. M.K. ATAT▄RK
Joelre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 03:54 AM   #368
Mahratta
Ayatollah
 
Mahratta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,125
Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincio View Post
Rome is by far the most historic european city, and probably the most historic city in the world. Rome is called the Eternal city for having signs and monuments of every ages. In Rome there is the biggest and most important archeological urban area of the world, including Colosseum, the Constantine Arch, the Roman Forum, the Palatine Hill, the Imperial Forums, and many other monuments like Pantheon, the Trajan's Markets, the Marcellus Theatre, St. Angel Castle and so on.
Alright - Rome is probably the most historic European city, you've convinced me. That said, I don't think it's the most historic city in the world. Parallels to Rome can be seen in X'ian, Delhi, Jerusalem, Kaifeng, Benares...if there has to be a most historic city I would say it should be Damascus.
__________________
Leuven | Antwerp | Amsterdam | Bruges | Gent | Brussels | Chicago | Costa Rica | Vasai | Bombay
Mahratta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 05:34 PM   #369
Mr Bricks
Registered User
 
Mr Bricks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Helsinki
Posts: 6,349
Likes (Received): 891

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatDarnSacramentan View Post
That led to America becoming a nation, which led to all sorts of ripples throughout the world. Industrial Revolution, Great Depression
The industrial revolution started before America existed as a nation. America has nothing to do with it.

Last edited by Mr Bricks; January 23rd, 2009 at 12:30 AM.
Mr Bricks está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 11:10 AM   #370
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD
 
the spliff fairy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: london
Posts: 7,986
Likes (Received): 6232

Damascus all the way, its the worlds oldest city - 8000 years and counting, already a city when the Britons were putting up Stonehenge, already a cosmopolitan 2500 year old metropolis when the Egyptians were starting on their pyramids. It's twice the size of Rome, and at least 5000 years older.

However its massive Old City is on the 2008 Watch List of the 100 Most Endangered Sites in the world according to the World Monuments Fund, and many of its historic buildings are 18th Century, although it has countless examples and remains stretching all through the millennia. Much of modern Damascus is 20th Century.
the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 11:58 AM   #371
Pincio
S.P.Q.R.
 
Pincio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Possis nihil Urbe Roma visere maius
Posts: 7,896
Likes (Received): 151

I think the most historic city should be the most important city in the history and/or the city that mantains today signs and buildings of its history and an historical importance. Rome is the city of the Empire, the city of Christianity, the city of Latin languages and it's full of historical buildings. That's why I say the Eternal City is probably the most historic city in the world.
Pincio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 12:05 PM   #372
Pincio
S.P.Q.R.
 
Pincio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Possis nihil Urbe Roma visere maius
Posts: 7,896
Likes (Received): 151

Rome and Damascus are both historically important for Europe and Asia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the spliff fairy View Post
It's twice the size of Rome, and at least 5000 years older.
ROME
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rome
Area
- City 1,285 km2
- Urban 3,667 km2

DAMASCUS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damascus
Area
- City 573 km2
- Metro 1,200 km2
Pincio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 01:59 PM   #373
_00_deathscar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 5,047
Likes (Received): 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincio View Post
I think the most historic city should be the most important city in the history and/or the city that mantains today signs and buildings of its history and an historical importance. Rome is the city of the Empire, the city of Christianity, the city of Latin languages and it's full of historical buildings. That's why I say the Eternal City is probably the most historic city in the world.
From a Western centric view.
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 02:22 PM   #374
Pincio
S.P.Q.R.
 
Pincio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Possis nihil Urbe Roma visere maius
Posts: 7,896
Likes (Received): 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
From a Western centric view.
Yes. From the Eastern centric view what city would you say?
One of the 5 capitals of the Persian Empire, or the Chinese Empire, or an Indian city. I don't know.
Pincio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 02:35 PM   #375
Federicoft
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 12,613
Likes (Received): 4340

Western culture has influenced world culture more than any other culture. In many respects it belongs to the whole world, not just "the West" (as opposed to what? "the East"?).
I think nobody would make a fuss if I say e.g. that English is the most important language in the world. Is this a Western centric point of view? Or is it just a fact?

Last edited by Federicoft; January 23rd, 2009 at 06:44 PM.
Federicoft no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 02:38 PM   #376
_00_deathscar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 5,047
Likes (Received): 217

It's certainly fact.

However, you can't point to one city for the creation of English. You can, however, point to one city (or region) for the birth of Christianity, and that is not Rome.
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 02:41 PM   #377
Federicoft
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 12,613
Likes (Received): 4340

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
However, you can't point to one city for the creation of English. You can, however, point to one city (or region) for the birth of Christianity, and that is not Rome.
So where, according to your history book, was the Roman Catholic Church founded and when?
Federicoft no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 03:42 PM   #378
_00_deathscar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 5,047
Likes (Received): 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federicoft View Post
So where, according to your history book, was the Roman Catholic Church founded and when?
I did say birth of Christianity, not the founding.
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 04:07 PM   #379
Federicoft
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 12,613
Likes (Received): 4340

Federicoft no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 12:48 AM   #380
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD
 
the spliff fairy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: london
Posts: 7,986
Likes (Received): 6232

You can argue more people through history were affected by Xian than Rome, the Eastern empirical counterpart at the time, and larger city, and big helping of Chinese culture through the ages, that to this day affects 1.5 billion Chinese round the world. Also the then 'vassal states' in SE Asia, Middle East, Japan and Korea absorbed alot of Han culture, as did Chinese conquerors such as the Mongols and Manchurians. Ancient cultural cities like Kyoto and Nara owe their style and planning to Xian (basically what is today's grid plan with grand axes), followed later by old Edo (Tokyo) and Seoul.
the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
history

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu