daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 23rd, 2005, 02:46 AM   #21
prahsharp
hmmm beer

Likes (Received): 0

Why not the ancient city's on the silk-route? Samarkand, khiva, bukhara ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bukhara
prahsharp no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 25th, 2005, 05:57 AM   #22
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 3552

Ancient Egyptian cities like Memphis, the 1st capital on Earth, 6000 years ago!!
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2005, 05:43 PM   #23
Dezz
Crooswijkert

Likes (Received): 1332

Amsterdam! It has the largest, almost intact, historic centre in the world
Dezz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 05:52 PM   #24
serendib
Elephas Maximus Maximas

Anuradhapura

The number of old landmarks, heritage sites and monuments which are preserved in the city.

UNESCO WORLD HERITAGE SITE

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anuradhapura

First Capital City Of Sri Lanka

"Although according to historical records the city was founded in the 5th century BC, the archaeological data put the date as far back as the 10th century BC.
"
-
"With this began the great building era in which vast monastery complexes and some of the highest buildings in the old world were built. The Jetavanaramaya dagoba of the city is still the highest brick structure in the world. Large lakes were also constructed by the city's rulers to irrigate paddy lands and also to supply water to the city.
-
"Home of the sacred Sri Maha Bodhi tree, the oldest historical tree in the world, at 2300 years."
serendib no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2005, 01:42 PM   #25
shayan
Prince of Persia

Likes (Received): 34

For west asia and east europe i would say persepolis This city is the capital of the first civilisation. and it is the capital witch ruled over 90 precent of the known world.

shayan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2005, 02:58 PM   #26
Marathoner
Marathoner

For China, I will choose Xian which has more than 3,000 years history, rather than Beijing. And Xian still exists as one of the biggest cities in china.

I think the creteria should be being a big city both in ancient times & now.

I think there are some in the world beside Xian.
Marathoner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2005, 04:43 PM   #27
Douly

Likes (Received): 1611

Marseilles (france) 2600 years of history
Douly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2005, 07:16 PM   #28
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17810

Quote:
Originally Posted by prahsharp
Why not the ancient city's on the silk-route? Samarkand, khiva, bukhara ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bukhara
Do Bukhara and Samarkand even have their old architecture today? Weren't they destroyed by the Mongol invaders?

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2005, 07:45 PM   #29
thoju75
DAMNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douly
Marseilles (france) 2600 years of history
Yes it's right !!! Marseille existed before the Roman and its developement was due of its exellent place on the mediterranean See
thoju75 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2005, 08:16 PM   #30
tpe

Likes (Received): 3069

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline
Do Bukhara and Samarkand even have their old architecture today? Weren't they destroyed by the Mongol invaders?
Bukhara and Samarkand had their glory days during Timur or Tamerlane. He claimed descent from Genghis Khan. The Timurid empire is, in this sense, Mongol.

A lot of the old Timurid architecture remains today. I point you to StormShadow's excellent pictoral thread on Bukhara, Samarkand, and Khiva.
tpe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2005, 08:24 PM   #31
tpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoju75
Yes it's right !!! Marseille existed before the Roman and its developement was due of its exellent place on the mediterranean See

The founding of Rome is usually placed in around 700-800 years before Christ.

Marseille can be thought of as a part of Greater Magna Graecia (Magna Graecia normally referring to the Greek colonies of Southern Italy.) Contemporaneous is Etruria, which dominated the great swath of upper Italy and was though to have had some relation as to the founding of Rome (the early Kings of Rome seemingly Etruscan).

Latium and the environs of Rome were inhabited earlier than all this.

So it is not totally correct to say that Marseille existed before the Roman. 'Roman' of course usually refers to the inhabitants of the city founded by the twins.
Old October 17th, 2005, 09:26 PM   #32
thoju75
DAMNED

Likes (Received): 3

Ok you're right I've search and marseille have been founded in -600 by greek's seaman.
and Rome was founded in -753
thoju75 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2005, 09:34 PM   #33
tpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoju75
Ok you're right I've search and marseille have been founded in -600 by greek's seaman.
and Rome was founded in -753
They were both probably inhabited early on in any case. A hundred years or so does not really mean much.

The Mediterranean cities all have exceedingly rich histories by all counts.
Old October 17th, 2005, 10:25 PM   #34
SuperDog
BANNED

In the Westren Hemisphere it is without a doubt. Mexico City
SuperDog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2005, 10:53 PM   #35
tpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDog
In the Westren Hemisphere it is without a doubt. Mexico City
Not even Cuzco?

Of course, Teotihuacan and the Maya cities are really not functioning cities nowadays. Teotihuacan is of course the mother city of all Mesoamerica.
Old October 19th, 2005, 03:25 PM   #36
kenlau13

...X'ian
kenlau13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2005, 04:19 PM   #37
TO_Joe
Curious Traveler

Likes (Received): 1

I take "historic" to mean the continuously occupied for the longest and has always had some significance, not necessarily the most treasures architectural or otherwise that still remain today.

Americas
Definitely Mexico City.
Central America / Peru had lots of good stuff that can still be seen today, but the people moved away (e.g., Chichen Itza).
- Not much is left of the settlements of other North American and Brazilian natives, though I know for sure many North American cities are located at trading hubs / gathering places -- e.g., Toronto, Winnipeg.

Middle East and Africa
Baghdad for sure.
Istanbul. Many cities on the Anatolian plateau at different times but they have been abandoned (my favourites include the underground cities of Derinkuyu and Kaymakli though I guess they aren't that old by historical standards (sorry for the spelling)).
Jerusalem.
Luxor. I am sure there are other places in Egypt but I would have to cross-map between the ancient and the modern locations to be sure.

Far East / Central Asia
Xian
Pyongyang
Kyoto
Probably Yogyakarta.
- In many places in the Far East, when the new administrations take over, they move the seat of power (probably not a bad idea to get rid of the pesky old hangers-on plotting revenge). That's why there are historic sites all over the place but many have become pretty marginalized and dumpy -- e.g., Yangzhou in Jiangsu province used to be very wealthy and powerful but it is an unimportant provincial town that now finds itself to be on the wrong side of the Yangtse River; or Angkor Wat where the jungle has now overgrown it.
- Central Asian cities tend to be more intact (e.g., Samarkand, Kashgar, Lhasa). But I think that is because of the arid and cool continental climate -- you can only build near where the water and food is.

South Asia
Mathura, India for sure.
It's actually harder to say than I thought -- because "India" (using the British India definition here) has always consisted of decentralized kingdoms, so the prominence of the cities goes up and down depending on their power. Certainly the Moghul cities like Lahore, Jaipur are like that. Delhi seemed to have attracted wave after wave of civilizations but I think the Moghuls built much of it and created the prominence. Hindu temple towns like Khajuraho and Kanchipuram now stand in the middle of rice paddies. As with Moenjodaro that is now 50 km away from the nearest big town in a dry, dusty northern Sindh in Pakistan.

Europe
Athens
Rome -- even then, there was a big dark period when the lights went off (though I think it always retained some prominence)
- I think many of the big towns can trace their history back at least to the Roman era -- including London and Paris.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I realize that this is a very hard question.

It is a lot easier to answer the question "which major city has the most archaeological treasures today".

Last edited by TO_Joe; October 19th, 2005 at 04:28 PM.
TO_Joe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2005, 04:55 PM   #38
tpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TO_Joe
I take "historic" to mean the continuously occupied for the longest and has always had some significance, not necessarily the most treasures architectural or otherwise that still remain today.

Americas
Definitely Mexico City.
Central America / Peru had lots of good stuff that can still be seen today, but the people moved away (e.g., Chichen Itza).
- Not much is left of the settlements of other North American and Brazilian natives, though I know for sure many North American cities are located at trading hubs / gathering places -- e.g., Toronto, Winnipeg.

Middle East and Africa
Baghdad for sure.
Istanbul. Many cities on the Anatolian plateau at different times but they have been abandoned (my favourites include the underground cities of Derinkuyu and Kaymakli though I guess they aren't that old by historical standards (sorry for the spelling)).
Jerusalem.
Luxor. I am sure there are other places in Egypt but I would have to cross-map between the ancient and the modern locations to be sure.

Far East / Central Asia
Xian
Pyongyang
Kyoto
Probably Yogyakarta.
- In many places in the Far East, when the new administrations take over, they move the seat of power (probably not a bad idea to get rid of the pesky old hangers-on plotting revenge). That's why there are historic sites all over the place but many have become pretty marginalized and dumpy -- e.g., Yangzhou in Jiangsu province used to be very wealthy and powerful but it is an unimportant provincial town that now finds itself to be on the wrong side of the Yangtse River; or Angkor Wat where the jungle has now overgrown it.
- Central Asian cities tend to be more intact (e.g., Samarkand, Kashgar, Lhasa). But I think that is because of the arid and cool continental climate -- you can only build near where the water and food is.

South Asia
Mathura, India for sure.
It's actually harder to say than I thought -- because "India" (using the British India definition here) has always consisted of decentralized kingdoms, so the prominence of the cities goes up and down depending on their power. Certainly the Moghul cities like Lahore, Jaipur are like that. Delhi seemed to have attracted wave after wave of civilizations but I think the Moghuls built much of it and created the prominence. Hindu temple towns like Khajuraho and Kanchipuram now stand in the middle of rice paddies. As with Moenjodaro that is now 50 km away from the nearest big town in a dry, dusty northern Sindh in Pakistan.

Europe
Athens
Rome -- even then, there was a big dark period when the lights went off (though I think it always retained some prominence)
- I think many of the big towns can trace their history back at least to the Roman era -- including London and Paris.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I realize that this is a very hard question.

It is a lot easier to answer the question "which major city has the most archaeological treasures today".
Very nice writeup.

Your comment on Rome got me thinking. A lot of people in this forum do seem to think that Rome became insignificant after the fall of the West Roman Empire. In population, it certainly dwindled up until the 15th century. As for historic importance, I think this is the furthest from the truth.

First, let us not forget that Rome centralized Western Christianity into a form that is now recognized as the Western or Roman usage. Since Christianity was the one remaining link with Late Antiquity, it was, naturally, THE instrument of propagating and maintaining Greco-Roman civilization to the west. The conversions of Britain and Germany into Roman Usage were all done at the instigation of the great Roman Popes of the early Middle Ages.

Second, Rome remained stongly linked to Byzantium during the early part of the Middle Ages. This made it eminently more civilized than the rest of Europe.

Third, the power of the Popes was both political as well as spiritual. The Frankish-Papal alliance on the 8th-9th centuries demostrates this. The long series of Crusades instigated by the agents of Rome throughout Europe is another example. Lastly, in the great conflicts between the Holy Roman Emperors and the Popes, Rome certainly won quite a few matches (witness the brutal execution of Conradin and the extinction of the House of Frederick II).

Fourth, even with the decline of Papal power from the 15th century onward, Rome was still the preeminent city of artistic patronage and creativity. Every English noble of the 18th century headed to Rome as the apogee of his educational upbringing. The numerous collections of antique art in the UK, indeed, the core collection of the British Museum, were collected and exported via Roman agents and Cardinals.

Roman history after 500 AD is richer in significance than the histories of entire European countries. It is absolutely incorrect to say that Rome was a nonentity after that date.

Last edited by tpe; October 19th, 2005 at 05:03 PM.
Old October 19th, 2005, 05:26 PM   #39
LSyd
Megalomaniac

Likes (Received): 524

Jerusalem.

-

- gleegieboy
LSyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2005, 07:37 AM   #40
seattlehawk

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by .::G!oRgOs::.
well then tell me why the other civilisations dont come to mind first?

Because Athens is the BEGINING of the western world.....were Democracy was started, were Freedom was invented. There is a reason for it coming to mind first you know....
The reason it comes to mind first is because, unfortunately, our western information media does not teach us much about non-western civilizations. As far as it is concerned, and therefore as far as most of us in the west know, the world begins and ends in the west. The truth is that all civilizations have collectively contributed to the world that we know of today. To think otherwise is a sign of arrogance.
seattlehawk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
history