daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 3rd, 2009, 07:52 AM   #441
viatorek

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastresorter View Post
Jericho... arh... I'm sure it is one very historic city... never really seen its pics b4 tho'... anyone care to share?

Another contender from that part of the world that I could think of is... Cairo?
well! i was seeing movie serie hehe

Sponsored Links
Old November 17th, 2009, 07:20 AM   #442
Mahratta
Ayatollah

Likes (Received): 17

Alright, so we've concluded that it's Povoa, then?
Old November 28th, 2009, 12:38 PM   #443
travelbug

Likes (Received): 9

I think this thread is slightly silly unless you actually define what you mean by historical.

In terms of architecture then Rome, Athens and Cairo have the oldest surviving buildings that I can think of.

In terms of politics and influence over hundreds of years then Athens with its starting role in politics and modern warfare, London with the empire and our warring leaders have changes the lives of millions, Paris with its historical affect on European politics, in the East, Xian or Delhi have been influential over many years.

In terms of religion, Mecca and Jerusalem and Constantinople/Istanbul are candidates, Christianity and Islam have affected the lives of Billions over the years.

In terms of what effect they will have on future history then Shanghai and Washington.

I could go on. Anyway in which you define your parameters will bring a different result. But then if there was only one answer this would be a very short thread!

Last edited by travelbug; November 28th, 2009 at 12:40 PM. Reason: I forgot Athens!
travelbug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2009, 06:26 PM   #444
Anshul

Likes (Received): 9

one must consider south Asian cities such as Delhi, Jaipur, Agra- the place where the iconic Taj Mahal is situated!! Plus places such as Khajuraho, vijaynagara, Madurai, Bhubaneshwar, Konark, Sarnath
Anshul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2010, 10:14 AM   #445
The Dude of Dhahran

Likes (Received): 2

Religiously speaking i think Mecca - Saudi Arabia had the most effect on the human history,
on the pre-Islamic era mecca was the home of the idol Hubal who was seen in the Arabian Mythology as the chief of god of gods,
on the the Islamic era simply because Prophet Muhammad the man who followed Gods message to teach humans the true path ( as told to us ) was born in mecca, his effort of making sure that the message was told can be seen on our current world.
The Dude of Dhahran no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2010, 03:47 PM   #446
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6445

Rome
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2010, 08:49 PM   #447
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude of Dhahran View Post
Religiously speaking i think Mecca - Saudi Arabia had the most effect on the human history,
... you ever heard of the ancient world? cities like rome, athens, mycenae, constantinople, alexandria etc... not to mention pre- china and india.
Old April 18th, 2010, 04:28 AM   #448
Chainedwolf

Likes (Received): 3

Hard question, I'm going to tell you some 10:
Beijing
Jerusalem
Baghdad
Istanbul
Cairo
Rome
Athens
London
Paris
Mexico City.

Based on your criteria probably, although this is really open for debate.
Chainedwolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 05:05 PM   #449
Belgrader

Likes (Received): 401

First Athens; Second is Rome.

Probably we should add New York today. City that accepted values created in Athens and Rome and spread them all across the World, adding its own flavour. Today other cities are just copies. In historical sense we could say Constantinople (Byzantine empire), Moscow (Russian empire, Soviet Union), Beijing (Chinese empire), but today those are just simple cities that completely adopted, or trying to adopt values created in Athens and Rome.
Old May 17th, 2010, 06:21 PM   #450
OzanKirmizi

İstanbul !
OzanKirmizi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 11:13 AM   #451
draqul

I can judge only the cities I was in, so now for me I can say Cracow, Poland and Nurnberg, Germany. But an old city of Brussels looks so beautyfull, especially small and tight roads with colorfull tenement houses. Maybe one day I will visit more great historical cities (about medieval and renessance times).
Old May 18th, 2010, 04:47 PM   #452
greenice

Likes (Received): 4

jerusalem
greenice no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 07:03 PM   #453
krkseg1ops

Likes (Received): 1152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgrader View Post
First Athens; Second is Rome.

Probably we should add New York today. City that accepted values created in Athens and Rome and spread them all across the World, adding its own flavour. Today other cities are just copies. In historical sense we could say Constantinople (Byzantine empire), Moscow (Russian empire, Soviet Union), Beijing (Chinese empire), but today those are just simple cities that completely adopted, or trying to adopt values created in Athens and Rome.
I hate to rain on your parade but are you suggesting that Moscow and Beijing are simple cities? Have you ever been to those places? For me, Moscow is by far the greatest city in whole Europe, both historical and modern. Moscow(and Beijing) has gone through so many periods that cities like NYC can only wish they had more than 200 years of British, French, and Irish legacy. If anything, NYC is a copy of other cities, not the other way around. And what values you speak of that had been adopted from Athens and/or Rome? It's utter rubbish.
I agree with you on the Rome/Athens choice, though. These are truly magnificent and magical places

Last edited by krkseg1ops; May 18th, 2010 at 07:05 PM. Reason: lingo errors
krkseg1ops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 03:09 PM   #454
dark_shadow1
arctic tern

Likes (Received): 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude of Dhahran View Post
on the pre-Islamic era mecca was the home of the idol Hubal who was seen in the Arabian Mythology as the chief of god of gods,
on the the Islamic era simply because Prophet Muhammad the man who followed Gods message to teach humans the true path ( as told to us ) was born in mecca, his effort of making sure that the message was told can be seen on our current world.
Religiously speaking- its definitely Jerusalem since its the main city in Judaism and affected both Islam and Christianity.
dark_shadow1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 04:43 AM   #455
Hudson County

Likes (Received):

IMO, Rome would have the most history on a world level.

I would have to go with Philadelphia, NY or Boston for the U.S.
Old June 4th, 2010, 10:03 PM   #456
italiano_pellicano
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2010

ROME
italiano_pellicano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 10:05 PM   #457
italiano_pellicano
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2010

ROMA
italiano_pellicano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 05:25 AM   #458
OtAkAw
BUMMED

Likes (Received): 530

ROME - It isn't called "The Eternal City" for no reason. Capital of what was once the greatest empire on the planet.
OtAkAw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 02:19 PM   #459
sucram

Boston,Mass maybe not a very old city but full of american history for if you like.
sucram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 04:15 PM   #460
Solopop
Solopop

Likes (Received): 99

Rome, Athens, Jerusalem...
Solopop no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
history