daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 19th, 2011, 05:21 AM   #541
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 10736

Taking "most historic" in the sense of "most well-preserved from their ancient times", my own favourites are Rome, Bruges, Budapest, Girona (in Catalunya) and Nesebar (Bulgaria). Looking forward to seeing Venice, Florence, Vienna, etc...
alexandru.mircea no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 19th, 2011, 08:08 PM   #542
psychedelic

Likes (Received): 1393

I am elated to see that after 6 years of fervent debate in this thread we've come closer to realizing that, New York and London are among the most HISTORIC cities in the world. My dream is to someday see other highly populated cities such as Shanghai, Mumbai, Tokyo and Mexico city become as historic as New York and London are to today. I'd love to see more equitable distribution of history in the future. Then, finally mankind shall attain historically unprecedented utopia.
psychedelic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2011, 05:06 PM   #543
dhuwman
BANGED

Likes (Received): 5

I nominate Los Angeles
"The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there's free thinking going on."

-Noam Chomsky-
dhuwman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2011, 09:28 AM   #544
Disturbing Reality
Noxious

Likes (Received): 412

Athens & Rome
Old May 21st, 2011, 10:24 PM   #545
Joyrider

Likes (Received): 0

Looking only at the cultural heritage of cities I'd vote for Rome and Istambul/Constantinople because of their cultural contribution to development of entire world, but other important cities are Paris, Athens or maybe Yerusalem. Why so Eurocentric? Most significant cities in Americas, Asia (without Yerusalem and Damascus) wasn't constantly cultural and political focuses of nearby regions. For example Tenochtitlan was established ca. 1325 AD so it has a real importance by less than 200 years. Earlier the real focus of these lands was Teotihuacan.

We can also recognize Jericho as the most historical city because of its age of establishment...
Joyrider no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 04:44 PM   #546
safiot

Likes (Received): 95

Istanbul
Rome
Fes
Athens

اللهمَّ صلِّ على بدرِ التّمامِ، ومِصباحِ الظلامِ ومفتاحِ دارِ السلامِ، وشمْسِ دِينِ الإسلامِ، محمّدٍ عليهِ الصلاةُ والسلامُ
safiot está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2011, 04:03 AM   #547
[{x}]

Likes (Received): 10

Rome, Athens, Alexandria, Cairo[Memphis]. After those four, Constantinople and London. Later on, Berlin, Paris, Vienna, Madrid, Amsterdam...more recently, New York City. Non-Western honorable mentions go to Delhi and Xi'an.

Too Western-centric for you? Too bad, tell me of a non-Western city that contributed even a FRACTION of as much towards science, engineering, technology, commerce, music, fashion, literature, architecture, culture, etc. as any of those cities. I bet somebody is going to find some relatively minor contributions from some other non-Western civilization's cities and ridiculously over-exaggerate their importance.

I don't like when people complain something is "western-centric." Maybe people should just accept the West's immense contributions to humanity! I'm not sitting here and complaining that Asian cities (Hong Kong, Shanghai, Tokyo, Osaka, etc.) are obviously more futuristic and modern than Western cities...I accept it!
[{x}] no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2011, 01:04 AM   #548
Clone

Likes (Received): 35

Antwerp, no doubt
Clone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2011, 06:19 AM   #549
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4892

28 pages later the answer is still Constantinople.
Old May 31st, 2011, 05:03 PM   #550
Clone

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamu maharaj View Post
28 pages later the answer is still Constantinople.
Constantinopel doesn't even exist anymore. It's Istanbul.

What is this contest even based upon? How can a city be the most historical?
When you say that that means longuest history then constantinopel is defenitly not the winner.
Clone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2011, 04:27 PM   #551
ВОДА
on the move

World: Jerusalem
Europe: Athens, Sofia, Rome - the reason is in the video

Sofia - The History of Europe

ВОДА no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2011, 05:45 PM   #552
hypnotoad
█ ▇ ▃ ▁ ▁ ▄ ▅ █

Likes (Received): 770

Well said in that video. But "experts" know better
hypnotoad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2011, 06:39 PM   #553
Crash_N
L'enfant terrible

Likes (Received): 789

This thread should have started with a definition of a "most historic city" or a set of parametres and a criteria for even entering the contest ( so we don't get local-patriotic inspired posts nominating cities like Antwerp or such ). For example:
I. its role in the foundation and rise of a particular civilisation ( Western, Chinese, Middle-eastern, Pre-columbian...) and, naturally, for how long had the city existed ( or still exists )
II. its importance and political and millitary power during the course of human history
III. its contribution to the culture of its home county and the civilisation as a whole
IV. its political importance as a centre of an empire, kingdom or other political entity
that had or has a major impact on the course of human history
V. the amount of preserved historical buildings, monuments etc.
VI. the amount of preserved manuscripts, books and other medias on which texts of
vital importance to the human civilisation and history are written
VII.the size of the preserved historical city quarter(s)
VIII.the lasting importance of the city as a commercial, traffic and economic center for
a wider region ( country, subcontinent, continent, entire world )
IX. how much does the city "live" its history today, in other words, how well is the city's
historical part integrated into the tissue of modern city
X. the amount of world-class museums in the city and the amount of artifacts from
different civilisations and eras displayed in them
And so long and so closer...
Taking all the parametres into account, these would be my nominations:

1. Athens
image hosted on flickr

Acropolis of Athens by B737NG, on Flickr
As the economic and cultural center of Greece since its early times, Athens represents the ancient Greek civilisation as a whole, and the entire Western civilisation is practically based on the Greek culture and Christianity. Athens was founded 3400 years ago, making it one of the oldest cities in the world, and one of the very few that continue to be vibrant metropolises today ( over 4 million inhabitants, brilliant subway sistem, hosted the Olimpics in 2004...). The Acropolis, one of the most famous landmarks in the world, is a standing proof of its impact on Greek and Western culture in general. Not to mention that Athens is the real cradle of democracy, despite the contrary claims by the relatively young United States of America.

2. Rome
image hosted on flickr

Rome, Colysée, DSC_4713 by Patrick.Raymond, on Flickr
Founded between 8th and 6th century BC, Rome was the heart of the 17th largest empire in history, covering 6,5 million km2 with 36% of the world population at that time. It had unified Europe and the Mediterranean in a way that wasn't reaccomplished until the modern day European Union. The city had about 1,2 million inhabitants at its height, unsurpassed until the 19th century London. It was the center of the world and it established trading routes to China and India. Many monuments like the Colisseum have survived millenia to witness the glory and magnificance of Ancient Rome. The city retained its beauty through the ages and, although Rome is nowhere near its former glory and importance, it is the capital of a G-8 country and remains a globally important cultural and religious centre.

3. Paris
image hosted on flickr

Eiffel Tower by dvpfagan, on Flickr
Bearing the titles of "The City of Light" and "The most beautiful City in the World" ( and rightfully so ), Paris is the second largest European city ( not counting Russia ) and an alpha+ global city. No particular comments are needed to describe it, for the beauty of its boulevards, river Seine and barocque palaces adorning the city are known to the majority of the people on the planet. From a small village on the island in the middle of Seine, Paris has grown over the period of 2000 years to become the pearl of classical Western architecture, with world-famous buildings like Notre-Dame, Eiffel Tower and Louvre. The history is in the air as you sit in one of its cafes or beautiful Luxembourg gardens, admiring the grandeur of the pearl of human civilisation.

4. London
image hosted on flickr

Houses of Parliament by kingeorge, on Flickr
During the 2012 Olympics, London will once again, if only for 2 weeks, be undisputed capital of the world, the title it held for the entire 19th century, when London was the capital of the largest empire in history of mankind, and, with the population of 6,7 million in 1901, the largest city in the world by far. The city was founded 2000 years ago by the Romans, and Londinium still exist today, mostly in one of Londons numerous museums with countless exhibits from all over the world. London has 4 World Heritage Sites: Tower of London has been standing since Middle Ages, and the Palace of Westminster is a magnificant reminder of London at the height of its imperial domiance. Despite the damage it suffered in WW2, London still has an abundance of historical buildings, all of them well incorporated in the modern city - best example is the barocque cathedral of St. Paul rising above the city along the modern glass skyscrapers. The city is the financial capital of the world alongside New York and remains a global economic, political, commercial and transport centre.

5. Jerusalem
image hosted on flickr

Jerusalem, Israel by daniel-bp, on Flickr
The capital of three world religions, it is one of the oldest cities in the world by far - human settlement in the area is traced to 4th millenium BC. The city is situated in a position of priceless strategic importance, on the crossing between Asia and Africa and very close to the coast of the Mediteranean sea. The proof of its strategic siginificance and vibrant history is the fact that Jerusalem was raised to the ground twice, besieged 23 times, attacked 53 times and captured/recaptured 44 times. Because of this there aren't that many buildings of historical importance and much of the city's history lies in the history books. Its importance in international politics, trade and culture are very small today, but it's neverheless one of the cradles of Western civilisation.

6. Beijing
image hosted on flickr

Forbidden City, Beijing by Aidan McRae Thomson, on Flickr
For millenia, Beijing has been the centre of China, the oldest civilisation on Earth. The city is a global centre of culture, education, economy and finance and features many magnificent historical buildings, of which the Forbidden City is the most famous. Unfortunately, Beijing does not leave an impression of an old historic city as much of the old buildings and city quarters were torn down by the communist government to create a modernist Utopia.

So, to conclude: there is no single "most historic" city in the world, the title is shared by several cities.
Athens and Rome were the capitals of Ancient Greek and Roman cultures upon which the modern European/Western civilisation, represented by London and Paris, was built.
Jerusalem represents the mixture of Middle-eastern and Western civilisations.
Beijing represents ancient Chinease civilisation packed in commie blocks and modern skyscrapers.
Why have one most historical city when we can have 6?

Edit: I removed Mexico City. The city was only listed in the first place because I didn't want to leave Americas out. After a second tought, I realised it falls behind the other cities too far to be listed. Sorry Mexicans, but bye bye Ciudad de Mexico!

Last edited by Crash_N; June 2nd, 2011 at 01:35 AM.
Crash_N no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2011, 10:20 PM   #554
peteriralnadais
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

love this thread !!!
peteriralnadais no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2011, 10:25 PM   #555
Odoaker
BANNED

Likes (Received): 787

Rome, Athens. It were these ancient cities, where today's cultural und political standards were first imagined. A world without freedom, democracy and ionic pillars'd be a sad world.
Odoaker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2011, 03:07 AM   #556
Crash_N
L'enfant terrible

The defence of the West

Well, I skipped 75% of the thread when I first discovered it and just read the last couple of pages before posting. Now that I've read it completly, I feel like I've lost half of my brain. This thread turned into a city-vs-city and a fest of superficial nationalism and local patriotism with endless supply of utter ignorance with a nice touch of hatred towards the West. I've read people suggesting cities unkown to practically everyone except for the chosen few that, despite probably having some old buildings, had 0 influence over the course of human history. Cheap nationalism flourished with people bashing other people's comments and simply ignoring the facts other side provided. There was a suffucient amount of brainless arguments that were essentially like "who can piss further". But the pinnacle was people from Middle-east or East Asia bashing Europeans for being "West-centric" and listing a number of "magnificent and world-important cities" from China or India.
Well I'm here to kick ass and drink cups of tea. And I'm all out of tea.
Firstly, if you are reading this post you must be using a computer. The computer was invented in Great Britain and the USA, which are, you wouldn't believe this - WESTERN COUNTRIES!
I've seen a post by hkskyline, a forum moderator who had contributed to SSC forum alot, bashing London and Western cities in general. A message for him and all others like him: your city is dominated not by pagodas, but by the f*cking skyscrapers.Guess who invented them: AMERICANS!
All of you who hate West and own an automobile: you should know that it was invented by GERMANS ( who are Westerners ).
I've seen dozens of people basically calling London a shithole. Well, if your city has a subway sistem, don't use it anymore - the first subway was constructed in LONDON ( a Western city ).
And everytime you drink antibiotics, travel by plane, drink Coca-Cola, watch TV, listen to the radio, learn chemistry or physics, use Facebook, smoke cigarettes, drink beer, wear ANYTHING that isn't kimono or Arabian clothing, watch/play football, basketball, tennis, baseball or skiing, everytime you write in English language on this forum, remember: IT COMES FROM THE WEST!

God I feel relieved!
Old June 2nd, 2011, 11:13 AM   #557
Odoaker
BANNED

^

Very right, and talking about nationalism, it were again the Germans who invented the Computer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z3_(computer)

And since a majority of mankind always lived in the parts of the world today we call "eastern", eastern capitals might indeed have influenced big parts of the world, but by today's standards, the western influence is dominating.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 12:33 PM   #558
Crash_N
L'enfant terrible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odoaker View Post
^

Very right, and talking about nationalism, it were again the Germans who invented the Computer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z3_(computer)

And since a majority of mankind always lived in the parts of the world today we call "eastern", eastern capitals might indeed have influenced big parts of the world, but by today's standards, the western influence is dominating.
My mistake, I guess when I went through that article myself I overlooked the Germans ( who created all sorts of stuff - X ray scanning, jet technology, rocket that brought Neil Armstrong to the Moon was based on German V-rockets...). But in all fairness, I don't think there's a single person responsible for modern computers, just like there isn't a single most historic city.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 01:14 PM   #559
Odoaker
BANNED

Again, a true word!
Old June 2nd, 2011, 07:24 PM   #560
potiz81

Likes (Received): 776

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odoaker View Post
^

Time to pay a visit in Athens National Archaeological Museum
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antikythera_mechanism
potiz81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
history