daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 18th, 2006, 12:44 AM   #81
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13283

Shows what an ignorant dolt you are.
wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 18th, 2006, 02:03 AM   #82
Svajoklis

Likes (Received): 0

Rome, Athens and Jerusalem all spring to mind. Sorry I can't really contribute more meaningfully than that...
Svajoklis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2006, 04:18 PM   #83
kilgarvan

Likes (Received): 3

Most historical cities of our world. (Arranged in order)

1. Athens
2. Rome
3. Istanbul
4. Jerusalem
5. Beijing...

The rests can not compare with these cities.
kilgarvan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2006, 04:57 PM   #84
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 892

Paris and London both are very historical and important but not just old enough. There are many cities far older. Check out the middle east, the balkan, egypt, asia and the old indians in s-america.

Bte the oldest city in the world is Dolni Vestonice i the Czech Republic. The city was founded 27 000 a.d.
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2006, 05:00 PM   #85
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13283

2,000 years isn't old enough?

There are Roman remains in London you know.
Old February 23rd, 2006, 06:53 AM   #86
UD2
A very cool person

Likes (Received): 31

2000 years is old... but just not old enough....

I am not saying that London is not an important and historical city, but there are others that are far more histrocial than London.

You must realize that urban civialization came much later in the west than it did in the East.

Damascus had two miles of lit streets before London had its walls. The Chinese capital of Chang'an (now Xi'an) had blocks of the most modern urban planning (concepts widely used today) before London had its first cathederal.

London is the core of the industral revolution. It is no doublt that London and Paris played unmatched roles in the course of modern history, but as I said before... the history of man kind didn't began in the year 1867.
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed" - President Eisenhower
UD2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 08:22 AM   #87
Mackerel

Likes (Received): 1

I also think Xian is appropriate for China. ( not Beijing )

Kyoto had been the capital of Japan about 1000years but newbie...here
Mackerel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 08:41 AM   #88
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2572

This is the first time participating in this thread cause I don't care much for historic cities but I choose Xian as the most historical

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 10:36 AM   #89
Pax Sinica
Rise of SERES

Kyoto really preserves a lot of Tang Dynasty's Chang'an city planning, with a smaller scale though. Without Chang'an, the famous Silk Road would never become the world's oldest, busiest and longest trade route. When Chang'an was at its peak, it always represented some of the most expensive goods in the ancient time such as silk, porcelain, jade or tea.

BTW, "Chang'an" means eternal peace and its current name "Xi'an" means western peace. For those don't know Chinese characters, "Beijing" means northern capital, "Nanjing" means southern capital and "Tokyo" means eastern capital.

The site of Chang'an of the Han Dynasty(206 BC–AD 220) was located in northwest of today's Xi'an, Shaanxi. Another site, Chang'an of the Tang Dynasty(618–907), includes the area inside the walls of Xi'an, small parts of eastern, western and major part of southern suburbs of modern Xi'an city. It is 8 times as big as the Xi'an city in the Ming Dynasty(1368–1644), which was reconstructed on the basis of the imperial city of the Sui and Tang Dynasty. Chang'an was one of the largest and the most populous cities in the world.

As the capital of the Western Han Dynasty, it was the political, economic and cultural center of China, the start of the Silk Road, and an cosmopolitan metropolis comparable with the greatest cities of the contemporaneous Roman Empire. It was a consumer city, a city whose existence was not primarily predicated upon manufacturing and trade, but rather boasted such a large population because of its role as the political capital of China.

Xi'an is now listed as one of the Four/Eight Great Ancient Capitals(Xi'an, Nanjing, Beijing, Luoyang/Kaifeng, Hangzhou, Anyang and Zhengzhou) of China because it has been the capital of 13 dynasties such as Zhou, Qin, Han, and Tang.

Some of the most important events in this eternal peaceful city....

11th century BC-770 BC: Zhou Dynasty established its capital in Feng and Hao, both located west of contemporary Xi'an.
221 BC-206 BC: Qin Dynasty constructed its capital in Xianyang, on the north shore of Wei River. It was burned by Xiang Yu at the end of the dynasty.
202 BC: Liu Bang, the founding emperor of the Han Dynasty, established Chang'an County as his capital; his first palace Changle Palace was built across the river from the ruin of the Qin capital. This is traditionally regarded as the founding date of Chang'an and Xi'an.
200 BC: Emperor Liu Bang built Weiyang Palace in Chang'an.
194 BC: Construction of the first city wall of Chang'an began, which did not finished until 190 BC. The wall measured 25.7 km in length, 12-16 m in thickness at the base. The area within the wall was ca. 36 km².
582: Emperor of Sui Dynasty ordered a new capital to be built southeast of the Han capital, called Daxing. It consisted of three sections: the Palace, the Imperial City, and the civilian section. The total area within the wall was 84 km², The main street Zhuque Avenue measured 155 m in width. It was the largest city in the world. The city was renamed Chang'an in Tang Dynasty.
7th century: Buddhist monk Xuan Zang, well-known as Tang Sanzang in China, established a sizeable translation centre after returning from India with Sanskrit scriptures.
701: Construction of Da Yan Pagoda. It measured 64 m in height. This pagoda was constructed for the storage of the translation of the Buddha Sutra obtained from India by the monk Xuan Zang.
707: Construction of Xiao Yan Pagoda began. It measured 45 m in height. After the earthquake of 1556 AD, its height was reduced to 43.4 m.
904: The end of Tang Dynasty brought destruction to Chang'an. Residences were forced to move to Luoyang, the new capital. Only a small area continued to be occupied after the destruction.
1370: Ming Dynasty built a new wall to protect a much smaller city of 12 km². The wall measures 11.9 km in circumference, 12 m in height, and 15-18 m in thickness at the base.
1936: This city was the site of the Xi'an Incident during World War II. The Xi'an Incident brought the Communist Party of China and Kuomintang to a truce so the two forces could concentrate on fighting against Japan.

Last edited by Pax Sinica; February 23rd, 2006 at 10:43 AM.
Pax Sinica no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2006, 09:29 PM   #90
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

I wonder why Berlin isn't mentioned as often as cities like London, Paris or Amsterdam(a well preserved city center counts nothing!).
For the history in the 20th century Berlin IS definetly the most historic city.

My list for the most historic cities (that still exist) are:

1.The cities: Athens for the western world, Xian for the eastern world
2.Rome
3.Alexandria
4.Beijing
5.London (played much later a roll in history!)
6.Paris (same as London)
7.Berlin (same as London and Paris)
8.Baghdad (great role in ancient times and today...)
9.Jerusalem
10.Istanbul
11.Moscow/ St.Petersburg (they share a place)
12.Lisbon
13.New York
14.Kyoto
15.Boston

Other cities that are very historc and played a great role in world history.
Venice, Florence, Washington DC...

Last edited by Tiaren; February 25th, 2006 at 09:37 PM.
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2006, 11:21 PM   #91
LeCom

Likes (Received): 698

Jerusalem, Athens, Rome, London, Moscow, Istanbul
LeCom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 01:20 AM   #92
weird
vagamundo

No order:

Rome, Athens, Alexandria-Cairo, Xi'an-Beijing, Babylon.

London, Paris, Berlin, Tokyo, Moscow, Toledo-Madrid were the centre of big imperiums, but, those cities are more historical.
weird no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 07:31 AM   #93
cementationfurnace

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuomiPoika
Bte the oldest city in the world is Dolni Vestonice i the Czech Republic. The city was founded 27 000 a.d.
I don't think you could call it a city. It is the earliest known location for ceramic production (as far as I know), but does that satisfy the requirements (whatever they are) for being a city? Even if it had been a permanent settlement and there had been a few buildings grouped together there, would it qualify as a city?

Anyway, I don't think it's possible to call any one city the MOST historic. I believe that most of the cities which have been mentioned - Rome, Athens, Paris, Xi'an, London, Jerusalem, Teotihuacán etc- have all had significant impacts on history, although some have probably have had larger impacts than others. I think I'll nominate Milton Keynes or possibly Telford for the most 'historic' city.... just because

Last edited by cementationfurnace; February 26th, 2006 at 08:26 AM. Reason: spelling
cementationfurnace no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 07:34 PM   #94
grachtengordeldier
Grachtengordeldier

Funny to see how nationalistic many people are; English choose London, Persian choose Isfahan etc.
I think the question is very hard to answer, as many people already said.
Europe is not Asia or pre-columbian America and must of us (myself included) just don't know enough history of the whole world.
I think Athènes, Rome, Paris, London, Prague, Istanbul, Bagdad, Alexandrie, Thebe (Egypte), Xian (after having read some postst!), Peking...I don't know what all...
And of course AMSTERDAM :-)
Amsterdam is i bit a joke from me, but it was the first European city between 1600-1750. Well...sort of.
grachtengordeldier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 07:42 PM   #95
Insignia

English choose - York.
Insignia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 06:36 AM   #96
alpteKING

I love Istanbul as a historic and modern city. Istanbul is a bridge between two world and it was the capital of three huge empire (Rome, Byzantine and Ottoman). It has a perfect history. But I would like to say Adiyaman. Historically Adiyaman is one of the oldest city in the world.
Adiyaman is one of the oldest settlements in history, dating back to 40 th century B.C. Historical findings indicate that between 7.000 and 3000 B.C. Paleolithic, Neolithic and Chalcolithic Ages reigned in the area. It has been the host of many civilizations, including Hittite, Persian Kommagene, Roman and Byzantine. Founded at its present place, in thie 7 th century by the Ummayyads, Adiyaman later housed several empires and states, including Anatolian Seljuks and finally the Ottomans.
Unesco World Heritage List.
Mount Nemrut
The mausoleum of Antiochus I (69–34 B.C.), who reigned over Commagene, a kingdom founded north of Syria and the Euphrates after the breakup of Alexander's empire, is one of the most ambitious constructions of the Hellenistic period. The syncretism of its pantheon, and the lineage of its kings, which can be traced back through two sets of legends, Greek and Persian, is evidence of the dual origin of this kingdom's culture.

alpteKING no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2006, 01:56 AM   #97
tocoto

Anyone who thinks US cities have no place in history is overlooking the world dominance of the US that began as a rag-tag rebellion in Boston, NYC and Philadelphia. History that is not as old as other cities but just as profound on the modern world.
tocoto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2006, 06:14 PM   #98
im_from_zw038
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

what about

?
im_from_zw038 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2006, 10:29 AM   #99
Mosaic
BANGKOK

Likes (Received): 758

Rome, Paris, Xian, Kyoto.
Mosaic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2006, 12:30 PM   #100
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2572

I think the measure of being most historical is not just how old the city is but the no. of significant historical events that happened in this city.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
history