search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Fun Forums > Creative Corner > The Drawing Board > 2D Drawings

2D Drawings Showcase for your skyscrapers, skylines and urban art done in photoshop, paint or on paper

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 22nd, 2005, 12:27 AM   #1
TheNightfly
This crazy grid of desire

Likes (Received): 1

Flatiron Building, New York City

My smallest model (about 6cm/2.4inch) and one of the oldest in NYC. Most of the work went into the roof which has several layers and the facade which I drew from scratch.

My next model will be the Burj Al Arab which is halfway now and is a bitch to design because of all the curves.

Update April 9, 2006:

Building it is very straighforward. Glue part A to B to C to D and you've got the roof. Use the white center of part A to get the shape of the building, specially the round corners.

I designed this one last year. Nowadays I design them 4 times as detailed. I'm planning to redo it some other time.

Last edited by TheNightfly; April 9th, 2006 at 09:47 PM.
TheNightfly no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 22nd, 2005, 01:54 AM   #2
firulais2005

cool how do you do them
firulais2005 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2005, 08:12 PM   #3
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

Likes (Received): 96

Compound curves, like that in The Arab Tower, are almost impossible without the right software. What you'll end up with will be something like as follows, which is the layout of London's Swiss Re Gherkin.

And in the future, it might be a good idea to coordinate our efforts, so we don't end up making two models of the same tower. I am also studying several Dubai landmarks, including the BaA. I haven't done much beyond basic modelling of the shape of the tower, but if you're further ahead, you can have it and I'll move on.
Old August 22nd, 2005, 09:55 PM   #4
TheNightfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR
Compound curves, like that in The Arab Tower, are almost impossible without the right software. What you'll end up with will be something like as follows, which is the layout of London's Swiss Re Gherkin.

And in the future, it might be a good idea to coordinate our efforts, so we don't end up making two models of the same tower. I am also studying several Dubai landmarks, including the BaA. I haven't done much beyond basic modelling of the shape of the tower, but if you're further ahead, you can have it and I'll move on.
That's the "30 St Mary Axe", right? That's amazing! That was one of the towers that was on my mind but had to drop because it's almost impossible to build with the techniques I use. I don't use any 3D software, only a graphics editor. That's fine with most of the buildings with rectangular features, but it's a lot of trial and error when making the round ones. So the Burj will be the first and last with round features cos it's taking me too much time.

You're right that it's silly to both design the same building. I really don't want to start a competition, it's just that I like certain buildings and I can't wait till you design them. I found out too late that you are making the Citigroup too.

I won't be making any Dubai or far-east buildings, the Burj is the only one, so don't worry. I love NYC so I will stick to that. I have plans to design the following buildings:
American International Building
One Penn Plaza
GE Building
One Worldwide Plaza
17 State Street
Cityspire
599 Lexington Avenue
Conde Nast Building
100 U.N. Plaza
Sony Tower
Bear Stearns World Headquarters
AXA Center
One Astor Plaza
Solow Building
and a couple of others

If you want to design one of them yourself I'll pass and let you do it, no problem.

I can't wait till you release the Mary Axe!
Old August 22nd, 2005, 10:09 PM   #5
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

^Competition? Hell, I wouldn't mind hosting your models on my site. Full credit and such would of course be given, but the details can be worked out in private.

BTW I shudder at the idea of still doing trial and error models. Anything I can't work out with my head or with a little help from the pythagorean theorem is done fully PC designed, like Trump Chicago shown below.

And the wireframe to 30 St. Mary:

Last edited by STR; August 22nd, 2005 at 10:38 PM.
STR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2005, 11:57 PM   #6
TheNightfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR
^Competition? Hell, I wouldn't mind hosting your models on my site. Full credit and such would of course be given, but the details can be worked out in private.

BTW I shudder at the idea of still doing trial and error models. Anything I can't work out with my head or with a little help from the pythagorean theorem is done fully PC designed, like Trump Chicago shown below.

IMG

And the wireframe to 30 St. Mary:

IMG
Awesome, that's a very professional way of designing models. I'm a pixel-editing man, very stone-age, I know. Scaling is very limited, I can't view the parts from different angles, applying textures is difficult, curves are a headache, etc etc. I have some 3D modelling experience with the Counter-Strike Hammer editor so maybe I should switch to 3D Studio Max one day.

But still I wonder, how do you get from a 3D model to a 2D cut-out image? The Axe in particular.
Old August 23rd, 2005, 12:07 AM   #7
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

Some Japanese paper folding program, it takes a 3D mesh and unwraps it. I can't spell it and it's on my other PC so I just can't cut'n'paste the name. Paperkura...something....

Cost is $30 bucks.
Old August 24th, 2005, 03:23 PM   #8
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus

Likes (Received): 3508

U guys are amazing....I just amazed!!!

-Imate pravo da ćutite, sve što budete rekli može i biće upotrebljeno protiv vas na forumu

You know you love me. XOXO.
Chad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2005, 02:52 PM   #9
f16_freak

Likes (Received): 0

i'm sorry but my ge building is nearly done!
f16_freak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2005, 11:13 PM   #10
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

Since we're all announcing our projects, here's my list, in addition to the ones posted at skyscrapermodels.us:

World Financial Center, Shanghai
Trump International Hotel and Tower, Chicago
Swiss Re, London
Commerce Court West, Toronto
Old August 25th, 2005, 11:24 PM   #11
v:zero
Ryan Li

very nice... I like the website and the models
Old August 26th, 2005, 06:31 AM   #12
firmanhadi
Urban Addict

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR
Some Japanese paper folding program, it takes a 3D mesh and unwraps it. I can't spell it and it's on my other PC so I just can't cut'n'paste the name. Paperkura...something....

Cost is $30 bucks.
I think you mean Pepakura. Here's the website:
http://www.tamasoft.co.jp/pepakura-en/

I prefer drawing to talking. Drawing is faster, and leaves less room for lies -- Le Corbusier
firmanhadi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2005, 06:49 AM   #13
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 201

That Flatiron model is really great. I'd like to have one of those to put on my desk.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2005, 08:22 AM   #14
Cliff
Tan

Likes (Received): 163

I love this one! Its so cute I could eat it.
Cliff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2006, 09:50 PM   #15
TheNightfly

I just posted the plans. Good luck.
Old April 11th, 2006, 08:55 AM   #16
Brendan

Likes (Received): 23

TheNightFly, thankyou very much. This model is awsome. I'll build it in a few minutes.

Also, could you let us know when and what model you will be releasing next?

Please, please publish more models.

Thanks.
Brendan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 07:38 PM   #17
andrew98
bigginer paper modeler:)

Likes (Received): 3

cool building, and, what scale is it?
Old February 6th, 2011, 12:48 PM   #18
Cliff
Tan

Likes (Received): 163

wow, flatiron is just wonderful
Cliff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 06:31 AM   #19
karlkim11

a very nice scale model... thumbs up to this one.
karlkim11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2014, 05:06 AM   #20
Old Yorker

Likes (Received): 85

Madison Square Park at Night:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/strykapose/15968994266/
Old Yorker no está en línea   Reply With Quote