daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 25th, 2005, 07:25 AM   #41
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutooo
seriously, i have to write something....

first of all, I-275westcoastfl,

you say that the amazon produces a decent amount of the worlds oxygen, everybody knows that this is BS!!! Plants produces oxygen during the day, but they use it all during the night, they breathe!!!! So who thinks that the amazon is "the world's lungs" is wrong.
For real? if that is true than damn who woulda guessed oh well florida education what do you expect

Quote:
you said that brazil should relocate the states capitols....but...to where? both states are "all amazon"!!! And, 2 centuries ago, they were really important cities in Brazil, and they still are!! If we relocate them we would create 2 new big cities, cause Manaus and Belem would never stop to grow!!! History and politics are things that must be consider too!!!
Wow i didnt know that the 2 states were completely amazon in that case sorry for the comments before then and thanks for clearing that up for me the other person just complained about american sprawl mostly but yea i think in areas like this urbanity is a must. the only thing that needs to be worked on its the massive farms there.
Quote:
Another thing, the USA polute more than any other country...

its really insane...and it relutes to sign the Kyotos threaty......
You can compare us to china in its pollution we have so much industry and cars here we cant meet the standards of the treaty its simply why. We are trying to cut down on pollution and have been for years but its simply we have so much industry and cars it doesnt look like we could meet the standards easily. With gas prices so high people are switching to more fuel efficient cars and we are going to have hybrids soon its only a matter of time but for now we wait.

Last edited by I-275westcoastfl; August 25th, 2005 at 07:31 AM.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 25th, 2005, 07:32 AM   #42
AcesHigh
Taking On The World

Likes (Received): 7958

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl
And you only made one good point on how what i wrote was nonsense and the fact they were built 2 centuries ago cause back then people had no idea of the importance of the area when people first came to california people didnt know it had earthquakes and didnt understand them till the mid century. Brazil is a pretty developed country they relocated the countries capitol why not 2 state capitols.
Well, this is the kind of thing that creates anti-americanism in the world. Arrogance. Relocate two state capitols? Do you mean just relocate the political entity or completely removing the cities and building elsewhere??

Both are, sorry, stupid suggestions. If you create new cities to be state capitols, the existing OLD cities, will continue to exist, and you will just create new centers of urban development INSIDE the jungle (since these states are compltely covered by jungle). Now, if you suggest removing 4 million people from these two cities and moving 1000km to some other place... well... maybe they could all immigrate to US. Would you like that. And you could use your taxpayer money for the transportation!!!

Quote:
Mostly i here you complain about american sprawl which i dont mind yes we do sprawl i like it better than a bunch of commie blocks and its a reason are country grows so fast people dream of having such homes they can get them here without being that rich. And for example Manuas does sprawl just which the first pic is an example but see how the houses are cramped next to each other thats why it hasnt sprawled out so much like an american city cause in america we have yards and wider roads.
liking big yards and wide roads IS NOT ECO-FRIENDLY. If you want to defend removing entire cities from the amazon, maybe you should begin at your own country by defending NON-SPRAWL.

Yes, Manaus and Belém still have many houses, and EXACTLY BECAUSE OF THAT YOU SHOULD DEFEND THE HIGHRISES BEING SHOWN IN THIS THREAD! Or are you in contradiction?

Quote:

congratulations for finding the worse and oldest pictures of Manaus ever
there are better pics to be found on the brazilian forums

some better ones:

Last edited by AcesHigh; August 25th, 2005 at 07:42 AM.
AcesHigh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2005, 07:35 AM   #43
AcesHigh
Taking On The World

Quote:
For real? if that is true than damn who woulda guessed oh well florida education what do you expect
yeah, the real lungs of the world are the blue algaes on the ocean. They are dying from ocean pollution.
Old August 25th, 2005, 08:20 AM   #44
HudsonSa
Landed

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcesHigh
yeah, the real lungs of the world are the blue algaes on the ocean. They are dying from ocean pollution.
Yeah, this is exactly what I learned. Maybe Florida's schools should update their subjects...

Last edited by HudsonSa; August 25th, 2005 at 08:28 AM.
HudsonSa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2005, 09:14 AM   #45
Renzo
Since 2004

Likes (Received): 1310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightsky
Very nice to see something from Brazil's 2 most underrepresented large cities on the fourm. I will add some of them for them diagram, Manaus and Belem don't even have a single building listed!!!

Btw, strange title of the thread...
I did this ones, but I dont know what to do for put them in SSP

And I have a LOT more of other Latin American cities, but I dont know what to do with them
Old August 25th, 2005, 02:43 PM   #46
Nightsky
Illustrator

Likes (Received): 3704

@Renzo: These are nice drawings, Renzo! Why don't you become a member. If you do, you can draw as many buildings you can. But first you have to ask an editor, like me D:, to add the buildings. It is really a waste if you don't do that!

There are info
http://skyscraperpage.com/members/illustrators/

http://skyscraperpage.com/site/document/?17

Website about my travels and buildings in USA and Europe -many cool pics:
http://www.worldtravelimages.net

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510
Nightsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2005, 03:49 PM   #47
bobdebouwer
Your advertisement here?

Likes (Received): 14

Nice development BTW...
Old August 25th, 2005, 04:05 PM   #48
Gatis

Likes (Received): 591

Seeing dense cities (especially Para) next to primeval looking jungle in Google maps doesn't look bad at all. Would be happy to visit the places one day...

I really think that US people should look at themselves a bit more instead. Who uses more biofuel - US or Brasil? Who has got more area protected - US or Brasil? And looking from the other side - who uses more gasoline to move his average personal ass per 100 miles? Who has got "bigger "ecological footprint" - average American of Brasilian? (I can tell you - average Brasilian needs 2,2 ha to sustain his life, while US citizen - 9,5 ha)
If you look a bit closer - the enormous "ecological footprint" of American somehow stretches outside the area of US... May be to Brasil?
OK, Europe could be only a bit better...
Old August 25th, 2005, 05:54 PM   #49
gutooo
neonico

Likes (Received): 1497

"It must also be said that most of the intemational campaign against Brazil, regarding to ecology, is not pertinent. First of all, the Amazon is not the 'world's lung'. Anyone who studies plant ecology knows that while they gow, plants produce much more oxygen than they consume, thus enriching the environment. The Amazon, however, has already reached its climax and when this happens, almost all oxygen produced during the day is consumed through plant respiration and oxidation of dead vegetable matter. The Amazon has an amazing potential to produce oxygen but, ironic as it may seem, part of its fully-developed vegetation must the cut down to exploit the potential. It may be not necessary, after all, to manipulate oxygen production in the Amazon; the proportion of oxygen in the air globally has remained at a steady level over the last several centuries, on average 20.95 percent.38 In fact, it is the sea - not the forest - that actually provides the oxygen that one breathes in the world, through its plankton, phytoplankton and various ocean micro-organisms."

http://fmso.leavenworth.army.mil/documents/vision.htm

Flickr
Twitter YouTube

gutooo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2005, 07:56 PM   #50
Rodrigo_BSB

Likes (Received): 10193

One answer to some forumers here: The true "world's lung" is the phytoplankton of the seas. Everyone that passed at least through middle and secondary school knows that.

Some people here needs to have Biology and Geography classes again.
Old August 26th, 2005, 06:06 AM   #51
mopc

Likes (Received): 11815

Quote:
MOPC, the voice of reason.
Thanks, I do my homework!
mopc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2005, 10:31 AM   #52
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

Wow, that's a lot of buildings. Is that deep within the Amazon?
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2005, 06:30 PM   #53
AcesHigh
Taking On The World

Samsonyuen: read the other posts in the thread, there are even googleearth images with the location of the cities and info about them.
Old August 27th, 2005, 03:33 AM   #54
cello1974
BANNED

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
this is sooooo bullshit.

1-The amazon is the size of Europe and it has like 16 million people at most. The same number of people living in netherlands.

2-The population in amazon area has not grown so much. New buildings mean better economy, not population growth. Better economy means less deforastation.

3- tall buildings means NO SPRAWLING. Much better have tall buildings in COMPACT DENSE cities inside the amazon than american style suburbs sprawling in area that should be FOREST.

4- go to google earth and look at both Manaus and Belém. They are not big sprawling cities despite their 2 million people populations.
And it means sewage cleaning, clean roads and no uncontrolled use of the forest areas!
cello1974 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2005, 03:38 AM   #55
cello1974
BANNED

BTW: Percentage of deforestation is much higher in Inonesia and African countries!!! Much of the deforestation is illegal, but noticed mostly too late by the authorities, since the vast empty area cannot be controlled so easily. But when Brazilian government wanted to launch a satellite (exactly for that observation), people from all over the world called it waste of money. The forest being used for these buildings is inside the cities' boundaries! Look at all the ignorant rich people throughout the world buying mohogany wood and others to still heat up the illegal deforestation!!!!
Old August 27th, 2005, 04:00 AM   #56
AcesHigh
Taking On The World

have you changed sides again Cello???

Old August 27th, 2005, 04:14 AM   #57
cello1974
BANNED

No, there are no two sides, but I am sick of that 'they-kill-the-amazon-comments'! Mostly it is people from countries where one person pollutes more than 5 people in Brazil!!!
Old August 28th, 2005, 02:20 PM   #58
Vanman

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
^Well actually they do build out too hi-rises mean its a decent sized city but i still think its bad theyre building there its one of the most important places on earth to preserve with all the posibilities for its medical possibilities and the fact it provides a decent amount of the worlds oxygen. Brazil really needs to do its part to make sure that it doesnt disapear i mean cmon in florida we are preserving the everglades which consists of and ecosystem of alligators, insects, rodents,rednecks, and mangroves its fairly useless but yet we preserve it so Brazil should too and put heavy restrictions on current areas built and highly unlikely but abandon those cities and over time all that stuff could/might grow back.

Florida's everglades are far from 'useless', they clean and filter fresh water, I don't think you can classify any ecosystem as useless,they all play there parts
Vanman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2005, 09:59 AM   #59
paroara
papachibé

Likes (Received): 1

Anyone who wants to know a little more about the two biggest Amazon cities check these threads (in portuguese):

Belém (Pará):

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=202942

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=130005

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=232004

Manaus (Amazonas)

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=133703

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=244518

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=166258

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=183885
paroara no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2005, 02:29 AM   #60
urbanaturalist

Likes (Received): 75

Every road in the rainforest increases the chance for another road to connect to it which is damn scary.....not to mention the steady frightening proliferation of good ole soybean farming. However, I won't get upset with these VERTICAL structures in already WELL ESTABLISHED cities because those same towers could have been "Phoenix style" horizontall subdivisions. Belem is an awesome city that sits at the mouth of the Amazon River right on the Atlantic Ocean. Manaus sits smack! in the middle in the Amazon rainforest on the Amazon river. Basically, smart growth advocates, etc need to get their asses and ideas down to these cities and region to prevent "the cure for cancer" from being built upon.
urbanaturalist no está en línea   Reply With Quote