4K views 35 replies 20 participants last post by  Bertez 
#1 ·
Port land's mega studio is one step closer to final approval

Mega studio gets mixed reviews
City touts port facility's ability to draw blockbuster movies

Rival production firms decry deal's non-competition clause

PAUL MOLONEY
CITY HALL BUREAU

A mega studio designed to attract blockbuster movies will be built on publicly owned lands in Toronto's derelict port area.

The Toronto Economic Development Corp. (TEDCO) approved the plan yesterday despite a flurry of objections by other studio operators to the deal, which gives Toronto Film Studios Inc. a 99-year lease on the former oil storage site.

Details of the deal have not been made public.

The winning company, owned by land developer and financing firm Rose Corp., proposes to build a studio large enough to attract big-budget films.

The 150-page deal now goes before city hall committees and on to council for final approval.

"You can't do the big majors like a Superman or a Titanic in Toronto because we just don't have the film studio space," said Councillor Brian Ashton, a member of TEDCO's board.

There is broad support in the film sector for a large studio, and TEDCO believes it will help all industry players by bringing more production work to the city, said Ashton (Ward 36, Scarborough Southwest).

"We need a big, class A production capability. The ones who are complaining have class B or even class C space, so this isn't displacing their production space. This should help the whole industry by attracting business."

But elements of the deal worry rivals who argue that a non-competition clause would prevent other studio operators from opening facilities on TEDCO land in the port district.

"I think that is scandalous," said Peter Lukas, president of Showline. "This country was built on competition."

Lukas said he was "stonewalled" for three years in his attempts to lease port land for film and TV studio facilities.

The non-competition clause, limited to less than a decade, was defended by Deputy Mayor Mike Feldman, another TEDCO board member, who accused rivals of sour grapes.

"They could have bid (for the site). They decided not to. Now they want to go on TEDCO's land next door even though they weren't the winner. You can't do that. (Toronto Film Studios) won the bid."

Steve Mirkopoulos, president of Cinespace Studios, attacked the deal as unduly secretive.

"This process has not been an open, transparent and fair process. We want to know what the total subsidy package is (and) ... know how much land is involved."

Ken Ferguson of Toronto Film Studios said competitors are needlessly fearful of the studio, to be located near Cherry and Commissioners Sts.

"We're going to be drawing a lot more business to Toronto so everyone will benefit."

The development of a large studio has been talked about for years and is overdue, said Feldman (Ward 10, York Centre).

"We have a film industry that ... can't go further without some heavy investment."

See less See more
#2 ·
this is VERY risky!
CALIFORNIA is going to introduce legilation with tax incentives to keep movies in the state. I read an article on this a while back. It could virtually collapse our industry and in that case this great new building would rot.
I hope this works.

#5 ·
I agree, a bit of a gamble here. It could be great for the industry, but if California is succseful in bringing back productions, it could mean this building would be rendered obsolete.
I also don't like the location right in the heart of the portlands, which would be better suited for the overall portlands masterplan of residentual use. Wondering why they could'nt build it further east in the portlands closer to Leslie St.

#6 ·
Mechie said:
CALIFORNIA is going to introduce legilation with tax incentives to keep movies in the state. I read an article on this a while back. It could virtually collapse our industry and in that case this great new building would rot.
I hope this works.
Ahhnold has yet to introduce that legislation, and he's most likely not going to get reelected, so I'm not too worried.

He made that threat as an election promise as well, and we all know how politicians keep their election promises. I haven't heard anything about that legislation since the California election, until you mentioned it in this thread, of course.

#7 ·
I think that the Governator was just playing to the masses with that particular threat.

If such a thing was to go through, alot of companies would just outright leave California for cheaper areas.

#8 ·
Filmport - Toronto's new megastudio

I caught the tail end of the press conference on CP24 this morning about the new film studio being built in the Portlands.

The schedule was to get the shovels in the ground by this winter, and for the studio to officially open some time (late) next year.

The largest sound stage would be able to house the Parthenon, and then some.

Mayor Miller was there, as well as the City Councillor for that Ward.

The area surrounding the studios will have restaurants, a convention centre/meeting centre, and other retail to draw in tourists.

The renderings were all lowrise, nothing above 3 stories.

If anyone has any articles about this development, please post them here. I didn't find anything at any of the Toronto newspaper websites yet.

#9 ·
$100M mega-studio to break ground by spring
Officials hope first phase of 30-acre site will open in late 2006

CURTIS RUSH
STAFF REPORTER THESTAR.COM

The long-awaited $100-million mega-studio that officials hope will solidify Toronto's "Hollywood North" status while catalyzing new commercial development for the portlands was formally announced this morning.

Toronto Film Studios Inc. will develop the 30-acre parcel of docklands on the southeast corner of Commisioners St. at Don Roadway that will come to be known as Filmport. They hope to break ground by spring and are obligated to do so by summer's end.

The development, which aims to attract high-budget, blockbuster movies to the city, will include a 45,000 square foot megastage and a cluster of sound stages.

Twenty-one acres of surrounding land will be set aside for commercial development to house film and media companies.

Toronto Film Studios signed a 99-year lease with the Toronto Economic Development Corporation.

The agreement obligates Toronto Film Studios to start building the first phase of the $100 million production complex no later than Aug. 31 next year. The lease agreement is for an initial 30 acre site between Don Roadway and Bouchette Streets, south of Commissioners St. and north of the shipping channel.

The transaction also includes option rights on 15 acres of land north of Commissioners St.

This initial phase will comprise 232,500 square feet of production facilities, including six state-of-the-art sound stages totalling 123,000 square feet and over 100,000 square feet of production offices and support facilities.

Filmport will "become recognized worldwide and establish a brand that will benefit Toronto Film Studios and its tenants," Toronto Film Studios president Ken Ferguson said.

Toronto Film Studios will contribute $25 million in equity toward the project and HSBC will provide the construction financing, reporters were told today at the location on Commissioners St.

Mayor David Miller, who attended the news conference, said the development will "breathe life into the waterfront."

Reporters were told that various cultural, recreational and tourist amenities will spring up around the media complex.

Miller said the film industry is critical to Toronto and noted that 150,000 people are employed either directly or indirectly in the industry

The first phase of the project is expected to be completed by late 2006.

Source: http://www.thestar.com/

#14 ·
"Hopefully they can start work on this quickly. I remember once going on Eastern Ave. and all I saw of the current "Studio District" is a bunch of factories and hoarding and fences that prohibit anyone from entering."

I wouldn't expect this new mega project to look any better than the current "studio district." Studios tend to be massive compunds that are cordened off: a city within a city that's closed to the public.

"This should be great for the area"

I think it'll be horrible for the area. A studio may attract off-shoot film-industry businesses like post-production houses, but it won't create a vibrant neighbourhood that tourists would flock to. It'll look like a suburban industrial park at best, or a super-jail at worst. I can't believe that Miller would support the construction of such a behemouth in the portlands.

Downsview park would be a more suitable location for a giant studio.

#16 ·
Buster said:
I wouldn't expect this new mega project to look any better than the current "studio district." Studios tend to be massive compunds that are cordened off: a city within a city that's closed to the public.
Well, this one is meant to be more open. It will have restaurants and walkways. One of the things mentioned was that the water channel would be used for filming, and there would be a location from which pedestrians could watch the filming. Of course that might change if the crowd is a nuisance instead of just observers.

Buster said:
I think it'll be horrible for the area. A studio may attract off-shoot film-industry businesses like post-production houses, but it won't create a vibrant neighbourhood that tourists would flock to. It'll look like a suburban industrial park at best, or a super-jail at worst. I can't believe that Miller would support the construction of such a behemouth in the portlands.
Well, just making the space into parkland won't help either. This will definitely have a tourist draw. The post-production facilities don't worry me, as those are usually offices. The fact that companies that supply productions with industrial equipment, food, etc. to the studio, will be located just north of the site, does make it look like it will be isolated.

Buster said:
Downsview park would be a more suitable location for a giant studio.
I'd rather keep Downsview as a park, and develop the studios somewhere else. If the proper street presence is created, I think they could be successful in their vision at the Portlands.

#17 ·
"Hopefully they can start work on this quickly. I remember once going on Eastern Ave. and all I saw of the current "Studio District" is a bunch of factories and hoarding and fences that prohibit anyone from entering."
I think the current studios are on Lakeshore rather than Eastern.

#18 ·
"Well, this one is meant to be more open. It will have restaurants and walkways. One of the things mentioned was that the water channel would be used for filming, and there would be a location from which pedestrians could watch the filming. Of course that might change if the crowd is a nuisance instead of just observers."

The one thing we have to keep in mind is the fact that film studios are controlled environments where the most minute details are tweeked to meet the demands of the director and producer (and other production staff). As a result, most of the filming will take place in indoor soundstages. Even if filming took place outdoors, the area would be cordened off and there would be little to no public access.

Remember when the distillery district was used as an on-site film studio? Who hung out at the distillery district back then? Look what happened when they transformed the area into a viable neighbourhood that opened its arms to the public. The difference between the film-gooderham days and the present distillery district couldn't be more obvious.

Will this new studio allow the public to freely roam around its space. Hell no. No fool would allow his/her film to be ruined by gawking tourists.

"Well, just making the space into parkland won't help either. This will definitely have a tourist draw. The post-production facilities don't worry me, as those are usually offices. The fact that companies that supply productions with industrial equipment, food, etc. to the studio, will be located just north of the site, does make it look like it will be isolated."

Parkland alone will not transform the portlands. This area should be used to house people and businesses. The last thing that should be done is to encourage single-purpose businesses to set-up shop. Look at the Docks: the place has done nothing for the area.

A film studio is NOT public space. Period.

"I'd rather keep Downsview as a park, and develop the studios somewhere else. If the proper street presence is created, I think they could be successful in their vision at the Portlands."

Dowsnview is hardly a park at present; the place houses a flea market for christ's sake! The area to the north is industrial, why not build it on that strip of land between Sheppard and Keele St, a block west of Chesswood? It would blend in perfectly with its industrial environment.

The portlands' location is too important to this city. We shouldn't ruin the chances of creating vibrant medium-high density neighbourhoods that Torontonians can be proud about. This is the first time I'm disappointed with Miller. I don't know how he can talk about "livible neighbourhoods" and "film studio" in the same sentence. For shame.

#20 · (Edited)
Buster said:
The one thing we have to keep in mind is the fact that film studios are controlled environments where the most minute details are tweeked to meet the demands of the director and producer (and other production staff). As a result, most of the filming will take place in indoor soundstages. Even if filming took place outdoors, the area would be cordened off and there would be little to no public access.
I think you keep missing my point, although the soundstages themselves will be isolated, the area will not. There seemed to be two zones in the overhead rendering shown at the press conference. The interior zone will have the soundstages, and will be closed off to the public. The exterior zone will have stores, restaurants, etc. at grade along the main street, and a public walkway will go along the water channel, which will itself be used for shooting movies.

Buster said:
Remember when the distillery district was used as an on-site film studio? Who hung out at the distillery district back then? Look what happened when they transformed the area into a viable neighbourhood that opened its arms to the public.
But that area didn't have restaurants, parkland across the street, and a walkway along the water. Plus with time the area surrounding the studios will also grow with residential buildings, at grade retail, etc.

Buster said:
Will this new studio allow the public to freely roam around its space. Hell no. No fool would allow his/her film to be ruined by gawking tourists.
Yes, the plan presented today incorporates the public partially.

Buster said:
Dowsnview is hardly a park at present; the place houses a flea market for christ's sake! The area to the north is industrial, why not build it on that strip of land between Sheppard and Keele St, a block west of Chesswood? It would blend in perfectly with its industrial environment.
But I believe one of the attractions this studio will have is the proximity to the downtown area, posh hotels, nice restaurants within a short limo/taxi/car drive.

BTW the plans for Downsview Park as currently envisioned is not something I would want to toss into the garbage. Frankly, if I had to choose between the two, I'd rather see Bruce Mau's Downsview Park plan executed, rather than the Port Authority's version of the waterfront.

(Also Downsview already has a film studio.)

Buster said:
The portlands' location is too important to this city. We shouldn't ruin the chances of creating vibrant medium-high density neighbourhoods that Torontonians can be proud about. This is the first time I'm disappointed with Miller. I don't know how he can talk about "livible neighbourhoods" and "film studio" in the same sentence. For shame.
Well, the film studio is only a small part of the Portlands. You make it sound as if they're going to cover it with soundstages and cordon off the entire area.

#22 ·
"The portlands' location is too important to this city. We shouldn't ruin the chances of creating vibrant medium-high density neighbourhoods that Torontonians can be proud about."

The Portlands is to be a mixed-use area. And that whole north-east section, especially by Lakeshore east, is certainly not where the vibrant parts are going to go...it's a crap area where this kind of stuff belongs in the first place.

it IS a shame the only stuff they are STARTING the whole Portalnds projects are these little peicemeal projects that have no bearing on what it's supposed to be.

So yes, i'm disappointed by this project....but for completely different reasons than you...I think they are not impressing anyone by announcing these kinds of projects first....get something going that really excites people and gives a glimpse at what it's going to be....not this crap....what a bad move...everyone has been talking about this great new Venice-meets-Barcelona area forever, and all we get so far is this.

KGB

#24 ·
Yea...I just think the city is continuing to leave a bad taste in people's mouths over this long-drawn-out affair. People want to see something of the "people place" they have been hearing about....all we've had so far is studios, possible power plants (yuck), bungled Rochester ferry docks, Cherry Beach fix up (hardly noticeable), and more squabbling over all levels of government and private owners of all the land. It's just been exhausting, and people just want to see something that gives us some encouragement and insight into it's real potential.

Of course, these things have to be there too, but doing those things first just isn't instilling any confidence.

And since nothing will be happening much on the main Portlands site until the East Bayfront section is completed first, this isn't going to change. At least with the latest news that the feds purchased and gave that parking lot at the foot of Yonge to the corp, it at least is some good news (even though that site is technically not part of the East bayfront site). And the actual East Bayfront site should start seeing some actual construction in the next year, which will change people's attitude towards it (if they actually manage to not screw things up in the interim).

KGB

#25 ·
I think the studio is a great start. Having employment down there is a really good idea. Where there are good jobs, restaurants, stores, residences and streetlife eventually follow. The studio will be the catalyst for redeveloping the area. Throw in Lake Ontario Park, and the whole area will be completely transformed over the next 10-15 years.
KGB said:
Yea...I just think the city is continuing to leave a bad taste in people's mouths over this long-drawn-out affair. People want to see something of the "people place" they have been hearing about....all we've had so far is studios, possible power plants (yuck), bungled Rochester ferry docks, Cherry Beach fix up (hardly noticeable), and more squabbling over all levels of government and private owners of all the land. It's just been exhausting, and people just want to see something that gives us some encouragement and insight into it's real potential.

Of course, these things have to be there too, but doing those things first just isn't instilling any confidence.

And since nothing will be happening much on the main Portlands site until the East Bayfront section is completed first, this isn't going to change. At least with the latest news that the feds purchased and gave that parking lot at the foot of Yonge to the corp, it at least is some good news (even though that site is technically not part of the East bayfront site). And the actual East Bayfront site should start seeing some actual construction in the next year, which will change people's attitude towards it (if they actually manage to not screw things up in the interim).

KGB

#26 ·
I think the studio is great as well...not only has Toronto's film industry been lacking this kind of facility, it's also a good spot for it, as this part of the Portlands is not all that great for residential/recreational anyway...plus there's already a film studio base there.

It's just not part of the residential/retail/cultural Portlands to the south and west of the site.

KGB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.