daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Old April 14th, 2006, 07:09 PM   #81
liverpolitan

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blabbernsmoke
...The Customs House looks like something from Rome- what a tragic loss! At the expense of sounding like a heritage freak, I'd like to see it re-built, using identical materials to the original. This has been done in Warsaw's old town, which was also destroyed during the war- it has been replaced and is identical to the original town- literally. -And is now a WHS in recognition of this.

What does everybody think? Liverpool is entitled to this. Mind you, I'm not sure what is in the present location.

I agree, the Customs House should be rebuilt. It is the only lost building I believe has to be rebuilt, although I'd also be keen on Gorree Piazzas and Dukes Dock warehouses being replaced, if that was practicable.

Pity such a plan was not integrated into the Paradise Street develpment. Maybe when the police HQ or Crown Courts are due for replacement, there will be an opportunity? Not sure precisely where it actually was - I always thought it was near the fire station site, but not sure if that is right. Anyway, the replacement doesn't have to be precisely where the old one was, if that's not feasible.

It should be the home to the Liverpool City Regional assembly.

I assume it's okay to reproduce the relevant postcards here, he doesnt say they are copyright on his website, I assume old postcards aren't anyway as there are usually more than one in circulation - someone tell me if they think I'm not doing the right thing I'll take them down.

Last edited by liverpolitan; April 14th, 2006 at 07:22 PM.
liverpolitan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 14th, 2006, 07:11 PM   #82
Gareth
Keltlandia

Likes (Received): 60

I quite like the idea of a LCR being in Hamilton Square, as I'm sure you suggested a while back.
Gareth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2006, 07:13 PM   #83
Liverpool8
southcentralLiverpool

Maybe when the postcode changes back to L from CH!
Liverpool8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2006, 07:15 PM   #84
Gareth
Keltlandia

Would probably only happen if the post office built a brand new state of the art main sorting office in Liverpool, which is about as likely as the BBC relocating North West Tonight.
Old April 14th, 2006, 07:19 PM   #85
b4mmy
★★★

Likes (Received): 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverpolitan
I wish I'd seen this earlier. Tremendous link, thank you.
Old April 14th, 2006, 07:19 PM   #86
liverpolitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth
I quite like the idea of a LCR being in Hamilton Square, as I'm sure you suggested a while back.
Not sure if that is directed to me or not Gareth - I wanted a LCR assembly to be built on a landing stage at Woodside. Perhaps the Customs House can become a Liverpool branch of the Hermitage Museum, another of my pet ideas, if the regional assembly doesn't exist / want to go there.
Old April 14th, 2006, 07:20 PM   #87
Gareth
Keltlandia

What new build? The cloud maybe?
Old April 14th, 2006, 07:27 PM   #88
the golden vision

Likes (Received): 759

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverpolitan
I agree, the Customs House should be rebuilt. It is the only lost building I believe has to be rebuilt, although I'd also be keen on Gorree Piazzas and Dukes Dock warehouses being replaced, if that was practicable.

Pity such a plan was not integrated into the Paradise Street develpment. Maybe when the police HQ or Crown Courts are due for replacement, there will be an opportunity? Not sure precisely where it actually was - I always thought it was near the fire station site, but not sure if that is right. Anyway, the replacement doesn't have to be precisely where the old one was, if that's not feasible.

It should be the home to the Liverpool City Regional assembly.

I assume it's okay to reproduce the relevant postcards here, he doesnt say they are copyright on his website, I assume old postcards aren't anyway as there are usually more than one in circulation - someone tell me if they think I'm not doing the right thing I'll take them down.

The Goree and Dukes docks warehouses were a big loss,especailly the Goree,with their colonades. The custom house was huge building,from what i've read it was bigger than St Georges Hall. I'm not too sure about rebuiliding from scratch without any original material.
the golden vision no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2006, 07:30 PM   #89
liverpolitan

While I'm about it, where are all the sailing ships? The maritime museum is a ******* disgrace, it's got what in it? Liverpool's central south Docks should have a few old sailing ships in them. What kind of maritime museum is it, that doesn't have a few decent sailing ships?
Old April 14th, 2006, 07:40 PM   #90
JUXTAPOL
800th birthday in 2007

Likes (Received): 5

The Custom House was bombed but was structurally sound, just sad to think it was demolished. Does anyone know when it was finally demolished.

There is no chance it will be rebuilt, as it would cost a fortune, unless we got the Polish to do it for us.
JUXTAPOL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2006, 09:25 PM   #91
John-MK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUXTAPOL
The Custom House was bombed but was structurally sound, just sad to think it was demolished. Does anyone know when it was finally demolished.

There is no chance it will be rebuilt, as it would cost a fortune, unless we got the Polish to do it for us.
Domolished 1945. A lone Junker 88 hit it. I recall a old man at the local pub, who showed us the machine gun marks on his torso. He was crossing Park Lane when he heard a large boom, looked down and saw a JU 88 at roof level flying up Park Lane machine gunning anything in sight, and got him.

I used to play in the ruins, which remained until the late 1960s. It should have been rebuilt. But seeing as they have not, a greater treasure lays underneath, the Old Dock. This should be excavated and brought back into use ASAP.
John-MK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2006, 09:29 PM   #92
Tony Sebo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

L8 has just opened up an excellent thread on this very subject gents... go and continue this discussion there? John, it would be good to copy this info over onto it also.
Tony Sebo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2006, 04:21 PM   #93
sloyne
Help find Madeleine

Any truth to the rumour that Peel Holdings are studying the feasability of building a in river cruise Terminal near Langton Dock? Someone said that a survey barge was taking core samples from the river bed just off Langton Dock.
Old April 16th, 2006, 05:48 PM   #94
Pobbie
BANNED

Likes (Received): 21

A kind of beach cruise along the coast up to Southport (and Blackpool perhaps) would be fantastic in my opinion. We should cherish the wonderful stretch of coastline immediately north of the city, not only for its natural beauty but for the rare species which live there.
Pobbie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2006, 07:01 PM   #95
Accura4Matalan

Likes (Received): 346

Yeah, get out the quadbikes!
Accura4Matalan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2006, 09:25 PM   #96
TheMerseyOrange
M.O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloyne
Any truth to the rumour that Peel Holdings are studying the feasability of building a in river cruise Terminal near Langton Dock? Someone said that a survey barge was taking core samples from the river bed just off Langton Dock.
I've never heard any mention of an in-river cruise terminal off Langton and to be honest it sounds rather unlikely. It's possible that somewhere along the line someone somewhere has confused the existing (but on hold) plan to build another Irish Sea ro-ro terminal there with one for cruise ships. The Harbour Revision Order for that particular scheme remains in force until Dec 31st 2012 - http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2002/20023127.htm - but you'd like to think Peel would see the benefit of implementing it as soon as possible. And that probably goes double for P&O - it must be difficult for them, struggling in and out of the dock system every day, whilst over at Twelve Quays they can see their Norfolk Line competitors enjoying state of the art facilities at a hassle-free tidal terminal.

If there really is river surveying going on in the area it could just be Peel satisfying themselves that in-river conditions are the same now as they were four years ago when the HRO was submitted and so mean there would be no physical reason why the Langton scheme should not proceed if that is what Peel now wish to do but that's purely speculation on my part.
TheMerseyOrange no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2006, 10:00 PM   #97
Tony Sebo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pobbie Rarr
A kind of beach cruise along the coast up to Southport (and Blackpool perhaps) would be fantastic in my opinion. We should cherish the wonderful stretch of coastline immediately north of the city, not only for its natural beauty but for the rare species which live there.
Liverpool, a city with fine beaches.. (thogh usually not the sun).. just like Sydney or LA!... they are OURS. West Kirby, New Brighton, Crosby, Freshfield and Formby, fantastic maritime edge to the mighty metropolis.

The Bay Area being a greater metropolitan area of unrivalled amenity and environment!

Why bother going to that old and decrepit lancashire seaside resort called southport?
Tony Sebo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2006, 10:14 PM   #98
TheMerseyOrange
M.O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-MK
Domolished 1945. A lone Junker 88 hit it. I recall a old man at the local pub, who showed us the machine gun marks on his torso. He was crossing Park Lane when he heard a large boom, looked down and saw a JU 88 at roof level flying up Park Lane machine gunning anything in sight, and got him.
Hmmm.... There's a photo showing Liverpool from the air dated as "c.1949" in one of my books (one of three volumes containing prints of port postcards, most of them are also on the Geoff Topp site) which clearly shows the Custom House still standing but sadly as a burnt out shell. The dating evidence cited is construction work for the landing of HMS Eaglet ongoing at the mouth of Princes Half Tide Dock and bearing in mind the author of the book, Peter Wolley, was at the time of publication (1989) a serving Merseyside police officer of 24 years standing and frankly looks the sort of guy who'd endeavour to do his research properly, I'd be inclined to believe him rather than someone with a less than stellar record in the accuracy department.

As for that "lone Ju-88" story.....again, the version of events from someone who's actually bothered to painstakingly research and produce a detailed record of the May '41 Blitz is rather different. John Hughes, in his book "Port in a Storm" (an NMGM commissioned publication released to coincide with the 50th anniversary of the Battle of the Atlantic in 1993) says the Custom House was hit by a single bomb (he doesn't actually say it was an HE one rather than an incendiary but he has a tendency throughout the book to use the term bomb only for HE but I can't say what it was for sure) directly on the dome on the night of 31st August 1941 which caused severe fire damage to the building. The accompanying close-up photo shows damage to the roof and the lead of the dome has melted. The text goes on to say that the building was subsequently repaired but hit again on three consecutive nights during the May attacks, most probably by a succession of incendiaries, and was left completely gutted but still standing.

And now I have to sort through all the assorted maritime-related bull posted on here too....
TheMerseyOrange no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2006, 07:16 PM   #99
JUXTAPOL
800th birthday in 2007

Likes (Received): 5

A documentary about Bernard Cook, the MDHC man who went missing is to be shown on BBC 1 at 9.15am on April 26.

Full item here
JUXTAPOL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2006, 10:48 PM   #100
John-MK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMerseyOrange
Hmmm.... There's a photo showing Liverpool from the air dated as "c.1949" in one of my books (one of three volumes containing prints of port postcards, most of them are also on the Geoff Topp site) which clearly shows the Custom House still standing but sadly as a burnt out shell. The dating evidence cited is construction work for the landing of HMS Eaglet ongoing at the mouth of Princes Half Tide Dock and bearing in mind the author of the book, Peter Wolley, was at the time of publication (1989) a serving Merseyside police officer of 24 years standing and frankly looks the sort of guy who'd endeavour to do his research properly, I'd be inclined to believe him rather than someone with a less than stellar record in the accuracy department.
What is your point?

Quote:
As for that "lone Ju-88" story.....again, the version of events from someone who's actually bothered to painstakingly research and produce a detailed record of the May '41 Blitz is rather different.
Nothing you have written counters the old local guy who had the machine bullet holes in his torso that I actually saw.
John-MK no está en línea   Reply With Quote