daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Old August 26th, 2005, 12:26 PM   #1
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 2734

Manchester University redevelopments!

Yep! deserves it's own thread!

Numerous redevelopments happening all over the campus!

Another pile of shite bites the dust! Grind that concrete bitch!

Royal Northen College of Music get facelift!

Ps! All places at Manchester University were taken within 36 hours!
jrb no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 26th, 2005, 01:44 PM   #2
Manchester Planner
Chief Bureaucrat

Likes (Received): 1

I got my place for a course there starting this September - in the Landscape and Planning department of the School of the Environment and Development.

The School are planning on building a new building near to their present site, on Bridgeford Street/Oliver Street.

http://www.sed.manchester.ac.uk

Last edited by Manchester Planner; October 23rd, 2005 at 05:08 PM.
Manchester Planner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2005, 12:41 AM   #3
caw123
Hit the north!

Likes (Received): 0

I might join you next year Manc Planner!

You need grades BBC minumum to be considered for Town Planning for 2006, same this year was it?

That is unless I join the dark side and become a journalist!

"Manchester is located in the center of Lancashire plain in northwestern England like a big circle theatre."
caw123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2005, 03:39 PM   #4
Manchester Planner
Chief Bureaucrat

BBC for the Masters in Town and Country Planning - the course I'd recommend of course
Old August 27th, 2005, 04:51 PM   #5
Jerv

Those minimum grades for degrees is a nonsence. They do that just to keep the pressure on A level students to get good marks. I wouldn't worry to much about them. I needed BBB on my course, got CCC (plus C in Gen studies) and pissed into my course, which I got the third best Masters degree of my class. Its a load of scaremongering.
Jerv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2005, 05:08 PM   #6
Manchester Planner
Chief Bureaucrat

Ah but when was this? 4 years ago? If so, I think you'll find things have changed - not only do more people get A's and B's (I almost said A-levels were getting easier ), but also there is a greater demand for places. Especially for the 2006 intake (thanks to the top up fees... which I fortunately have now avoided by a year).
Old August 28th, 2005, 03:08 PM   #7
SleepyOne

Found this image of the new Student and Nursing centre which, I have to say looks vastly superior to any of the previous images. Love that curved section fronting Oxford Road there. This building will really dramatically change the character of the whole campus. There also appears to be a block approaching 13 stories to the rear. This is probably the student resi section which as I remember constitutes a portion of the space within this building.

Lets hope this is the version that comes to fruition.
SleepyOne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2005, 10:42 AM   #8
Farsight

Likes (Received): 142

Let's not, because it is clueless. It looks like it's been designed by a retarded five year old who kicked his toybox over. Cringe.

OK now, let's be constructive. If the middle portion was more than a box we could be getting somewhere. Look at Central Library and the Town Hall Extension where the latter curves to mirror the former. And if the residential portion at the rear was a cylinder too we could be getting somewhere. 2 out of 10 try again.
Farsight está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2005, 04:02 PM   #9
Jerv

rant removed

Last edited by Jerv; August 30th, 2005 at 01:42 AM.
Jerv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2005, 01:34 AM   #10
Mez

Likes (Received): 8

Hardly constructive criticism. I agree with Farsight to be fair. The cylinder seems ok, but could end up lookin like that pub on Chester Rd; near Stretford Precinct.
Saying that, I generally feel cold towards most new mid-rise projects though. Looking at the Midland, Central library, Free trade hall (obvious examples I know), I feel far too many new designs are inferior to yesteryear achitecture. Ponder and discuss.
Old August 30th, 2005, 02:28 AM   #11
SleepyOne

The rant although harsh was amusing and fair. Farsight has his own peculiar sense of what he finds attractive (and what he doesn't) but is poor at expressing it. That might not be so bad were it not for the fact he is too often uninformed, aggressive and disrespectful with it. As such I tend to ignore it - unless Im feeling mischevious.

Last edited by SleepyOne; August 30th, 2005 at 02:36 AM.
Old August 30th, 2005, 10:47 AM   #12
Farsight

Ho ho.

Well then, let me rephrase my opinion of the Student and Nursing centre in terms you will understand:

I think it's poor.
Old August 30th, 2005, 10:54 AM   #13
caw123
Hit the north!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyOne

Lets hope this is the version that comes to fruition.
Not a fan of this, why have a circular building, and then have one behind it that in no way relates to it? How about giving the building behind an ident to match the circular block as if they could 'slot' together?

"Manchester is located in the center of Lancashire plain in northwestern England like a big circle theatre."
caw123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2005, 02:40 PM   #14
Farsight

OK then. As some would say, it's poor, and it doesn't relate well.
Old August 30th, 2005, 08:33 PM   #15
jrb
10th February 2008

Don't see anything wrong with circular buildings! Manchester could do with a few more! Got to agree with you on the building behind! In no way does it relate to the circular building in front! Lets hpoe the planning department highlight this problem?
Old August 30th, 2005, 09:16 PM   #16
SleepyOne

Quote:
Not a fan of this, why have a circular building, and then have one behind it that in no way relates to it? How about giving the building behind an ident to match the circular block as if they could 'slot' together?
If you remember the inital renders show the building as a set of identical rectangular blocks however I don't think this approach really served to convey the three or four very separate and distinct uses contained within it.....

Quote:
More than any other project under the initial phase of the Unity plan, this scheme is conceived at the heart of the University core. With elements of social, departmental and public facilities a rich mixture of uses will create the image of an integrated urban university. The accommodation comprises a 1000-seat lecture theatre, general teaching space, catering facilities, student accommodation, School of Nursing, Institute of Health Science and Faculty offices.
Also it would have perhaps made the the environment feel too sterile and samey with the very blocky Computer Science building next door. The cylindrical front block and the taller resi part to the rear really help to soften and add interest to the whole area in addition to making the building something of a landmark on the campus.

Notice also how they have indeed made sure the cylinder relates to the rectangular portion by adding a sort of squaring-the-circle cover on the opposite side of the building to the viewpoint.
Old August 31st, 2005, 12:47 AM   #17
Farsight

Aw cringe. It doesn't soften and add interest. It isn't a landmark. And it doesn't relate. Jeez.
Old August 31st, 2005, 01:38 AM   #18
Northbeach
A roussos is for life.

Quote:
"Son, you even godam think about goddam f*cking entering that goddam University. Boy, your ass would be mine till the birds wing strokes away the 200 foot diamond tower that stands between me, you and my goddam sanity."
"But why pops?" sobbing like a cherry "why kant I go to this Uni? Why notttt?"
"Son - I shoulda spanked your face off when you were three years of age...look at the goddam motherf*cking damage your brains have caused..."
I'd like perhaps to attend snare classes in that building.
It is rather pleasant, akin to the TH, THExtension and Central Library but on smaller scales.
Northbeach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2005, 07:50 PM   #19
Farsight

It's a 1000-seat lecture theatre, Northbeach. It won't have any windows. I'm not sure it'll be pleasant at all. In fact I think people will say They knocked down the Maths Tower for that? What were they thinking? It will cost a fortune and look awful, and the people who ****ed up will **** off. I shake my head. Tragic.
Old September 2nd, 2005, 05:00 PM   #20
jrb
10th February 2008

Taken from the MEN!

Some great small pics of the old M&S and other buildings!

Eat that concrete bridge you bitch!!

http://www.connellbrothers.co.uk/