daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Old September 3rd, 2005, 02:43 AM   #21
kids

Likes (Received): 172

we will one day wish we had never done this *sigh*

Sponsored Links

Old September 4th, 2005, 04:24 PM   #22
highriser

Likes (Received): 19

Two pics of the Bio centre, looking very nice

highriser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2005, 06:17 PM   #23
Manchester Planner
Chief Bureaucrat

Likes (Received): 1

Very nice stuff!
Manchester Planner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2005, 06:53 PM   #24
Northbeach
A roussos is for life.

Isn't it just.
Piccadilly Station would've been better suited with such a quality design imo.
Northbeach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2005, 10:49 AM   #25
Farsight

Likes (Received): 141

If you think it looks nice, remember that some building you don't like could perhaps be economically reclad in the same style. Personally I don't think it's quality design. It's a lowrise box with some glass and steel stuck on, and I thinks it looks very iffy from the South side. There's also a flythrough that illustrates internal flaws which I wrote up but I think they got zapped. Basically it's cramped inside.

http://www.mib.ac.uk/Building/

IMHO: what an absolute tragedy that Manchester University are demolishing an iconic architectural gem like the Maths Tower for boring boxes tarted up with tinsel.

Last edited by Farsight; September 5th, 2005 at 10:55 AM.
Farsight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2005, 11:37 AM   #26
highriser

Likes (Received): 19

Architectural gem in your opinion ,good riddence to an eyesore in mine , but we won't go down that road again

Farsight , the MIB building looks great ,i would have loved a 40 storey there ,but ey this low rise box will do
highriser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2005, 12:13 AM   #27
Sir Miles Platting

Likes (Received): 4

I think the subject of highrise v lowrise for educational purposes has been discussed before. For purely logistical reasons I believe lowrise would be more conducive to a place of learning.
Sir Miles Platting no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2005, 02:50 PM   #28
Farsight

A university has lecture theatres, labs, libraries. And it has offices and recreational. In essence it's a city in miniature. But whilst the city at large is building highrise, the University of Manchester are intent on demolishing theirs. See if you can work out why.

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/

Browse the website, see their "21st Century" vision. See old stone. Browse the vision document:

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/aboutus/thefile,3563,en.pdf

See the heritage pictures. Read the heritage talk:

"The University’s rich heritage, symbolised by its iconic buildings, will provide the foundation for the new institution. (Left to right: The Whitworth Building, Sackville Street Building)."

No room for highrise here.

Pray that such stupidity doesn't catch on, or your 21st Century will start to look like the 19th.

Last edited by Farsight; September 6th, 2005 at 03:14 PM.
Old September 6th, 2005, 03:18 PM   #29
Jongeman
van het noorden

Farsight, it's probably got something to do with trying to look like Oxford, and trying to get more research funding to compete effectively with those three big unis down south

All we need are a few dreaming spires.........mock, of course.

The Americans will just love it......punting on the Medlock in Manchestercestershire
Jongeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2005, 03:38 PM   #30
frozenmusic

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jongeman
Farsight, it's probably got something to do with trying to look like Oxford, and trying to get more research funding to compete effectively with those three big unis down south

All we need are a few dreaming spires.........mock, of course.

The Americans will just love it......punting on the Medlock in Manchestercestershire
Oh Jonge, please don't get him started. He came out with the immortal insult 'the Ivy-league dreaming spires brigade' last time we went down this route. Anyhow it's all good fun.
frozenmusic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2005, 04:04 PM   #31
Accura4Matalan

Likes (Received): 338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Miles Platting
I think the subject of highrise v lowrise for educational purposes has been discussed before.
And we all know who is always involved

Jongeman, just ignore Farsight's comments on MIB and the Maths tower.
In his opinion, anything that is tall is good. And the demolition of a crappy highrise is well... an act of terror

Accura4Matalan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2005, 04:27 PM   #32
Manchester Planner
Chief Bureaucrat

I wouldn't get so worked up about the demolition of the Maths Tower. While its a bad thing for statistics about high rise in Manchester to have one fewer tower, it was a good thing to replace it with a modern building for the university.
Manchester Planner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2005, 06:59 PM   #33
Farsight

Jongeman: I'm sure you're right and it's to do with the University of Manchester trying for an Oxford dreaming spires look.

Manchester Planner: they plan to demolish all highrises. That's their 21st century vision. A conservative heritage vision and they've said as much.

Accura: and of course it's fine if M&SS, Wright Robinson, Chandos, Chem Enge, Mobberley, and Sunley, Jarvis, Portland, North Tower, Arndale, Lowry House, Ramada are all demolished is it? That's fine then, they're all crappy highrises, no call for reclad because our favourite buildings are the Town Hall and the Central Library, duh.
Old September 6th, 2005, 07:07 PM   #34
caw123
Hit the north!

Stop overeacting. You've said this dozens of times now.

The uni is demolishing these buildings because they are obselete and unsuitable, not because they are highrise. Note that they are now keeping the Owens Park Tower.

"Manchester is located in the center of Lancashire plain in northwestern England like a big circle theatre."
caw123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2005, 07:22 PM   #35
Farsight

Huh? The UMIST main building is obsolete and unsuitable. Not the highrises they're going to demolish. Owens Park Tower is just as obsolete and unsuitable as some which will go, but it's staying because it's not on campus to spoil the dreaming spires vision.

Sigh. The point is that the 21st century vision is a deceit that will cost a fortune, and in my view will ruin a great University. The more important point is that if you accept that University highrises are obsolete and unsuitable you'll accept that other in the city at large are unsuitable too. Florence here we come. But fine.

Don't pay any attention. And don't notice when some of our friends who wax lyrical about heritage/lowrise don't enthuse about buildings like Beetham and find other proposals hard to love.
Old September 6th, 2005, 07:28 PM   #36
Accura4Matalan

Likes (Received): 338

Owens Park Tower the 'Dreaming Spires Vision'?
Dont make me laugh!
Accura4Matalan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2005, 11:26 PM   #37
dgnr8
Mmm, Danone

Likes (Received): 10

You do realise that the students will have the very latest technology for learning, don't you Farsight? You harp on as if they're also reverting back to bloody blackboards, chalk and the birch.
dgnr8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2005, 11:52 PM   #38
caw123
Hit the north!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farsight

Manchester Planner: they plan to demolish all highrises.
Not only is this wrong because they are keeping the Owens Park Tower, but the old UMIST Main and Owens Victoria Uni are both actually over 35m and are therefore highrise.

Farsight. The uni wants to get rid of horrible, stained, outdated, shitty buildings with next to no architectural worth. They are replacing these with high tech buildings that will improve the uni no end. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this. Who cares what buildings are on their website? All that matters is that quality is replacing shite.

"Manchester is located in the center of Lancashire plain in northwestern England like a big circle theatre."
caw123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2005, 12:38 AM   #39
Farsight

Quote:
Not only is this wrong because they are keeping the Owens Park Tower, but the old UMIST Main and Owens Victoria Uni are both actually over 35m and are therefore highrise.

Farsight. The uni wants to get rid of horrible, stained, outdated, shitty buildings with next to no architectural worth. They are replacing these with high tech buildings that will improve the uni no end. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this. Who cares what buildings are on their website? All that matters is that quality is replacing shite.
Oh boy, now I've heard it all. Umist Main and Owens Victoria are highrise. LOL!

Take a look at all the other stained, outdated, shitty buildings with next to no architectural worth. Most of what you can see have had detractors on this website calling for demolition. And new highrise have the doubters who are happy when they don't happen. But that's OK, lowrise sheds with tinsel and old stone make up for all that. Especially since there's some nice highrises called Town Hall and Palace Hotel. What a wonderful 21st century vision. For a while, until that "In the top 25 Universities in the World" target quietly turns into top 250 when nobody's looking. And people will wake up and realise that the big bucks heritage dullsville was a world class fuckup instead of a reach for the skies.

Last edited by Farsight; September 7th, 2005 at 01:05 AM.
Old September 7th, 2005, 01:04 AM   #40
Jongeman
van het noorden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farsight
What a wonderful 21st century vision. For a while, until that "In the top 25 Universities in the World" target quietly turns into top 250 when nobody's looking
Hey mate, the built environment means nothing in terms of Man Uni's status. It's about teaching, funding and research isn't it?!! And that's basically it.

That's a good pic though. Nice Manc sunny day

I'd date that pic as about 1987 (when I was an unconvincing goth) I remember when the CIS service tower was that white and I'm pretty sure I remember Portland with the SWF letters on it.

Last edited by Jongeman; September 7th, 2005 at 01:13 AM.
Jongeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote