daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Old November 21st, 2005, 09:19 PM   #121
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 2549

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyOne
Any chance you could post them at the top of the next page as my modem is struggling to cope with that ridiculously large scan of last week's planning applications!!
Your just like Caw Sleepy!

Theres no pleaseing you!
jrb no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 21st, 2005, 09:20 PM   #122
kids

Likes (Received): 172

Can we have the renders now please jrb?
Old November 21st, 2005, 09:38 PM   #123
jrb
10th February 2008

A bit dissapointed to be honest! The four blocks and tower look boring! I quite like the circular 1000 seat lecture theatre! Its different!

Its still better then the Maths tower!

The aerial view makes the development look better!

Old November 21st, 2005, 09:53 PM   #124
SleepyOne

Likes (Received): 1

Thanks.

I dont know what you were expecting jrb - thats almost idential to the render I posted previously with two major differences.

1. The student resi block has been turned around so its major side is aligned with the new pedestrian through-route. I dont have a problem with this as the slightly less interesting (ahem) rhythm in terms of the shape and arrangement of the various blocks is offset by the reinforcement of this major new pedestrian route linking Oxford Road directly with Upper Brook Street.

2. The atrium connecting the circular block with the rectangular blocks is much larger and serves to reduce the distinction between the two; making them appear as one rather than two distinct blocks. Am less keen on this change.

Overall, stylistically the design is typical McAslan - neat, modern and highly restrained. Not keen on this yellowey colour though - is that for real? Did you manage to guage what the cladding was jrb?

Last edited by SleepyOne; November 21st, 2005 at 10:02 PM.
SleepyOne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2005, 10:00 PM   #125
SleepyOne

In the last render the circular block looks almost to be touching the adjacent rectangular block. I hope this is a misleading render.

That yellow is bothering me now. Whatever it turns out to be I hope it isn't that vivid.
Old November 21st, 2005, 10:17 PM   #126
jrb
10th February 2008

Quote:
Thanks.

I dont know what you were expecting jrb - thats almost idential to the render I posted previously with two major differences.

1. The student resi block has been turned around so its major side is aligned with the new pedestrian through-route. I dont have a problem with this as the slightly less interesting (ahem) rhythm in terms of the shape and arrangement of the various blocks is offset by the reinforcement of this major new pedestrian route linking Oxford Road directly with Upper Brook Street.

2. The atrium connecting the circular block with the rectangular blocks is much larger and serves to reduce the distinction between the two; making them appear as one rather than two distinct blocks. Am less keen on this change.

Overall, stylistically the design is typical McAslan - neat, modern and highly restrained. Not keen on this yellowey colour though - is that for real? Did you manage to guage what the cladding was jrb?
Quote:
Not keen on this yellowey colour though
Indeed it is Sleepy! I was refering to how the cladding looks! Glad you agree!

Quote:
Nope! Did'nt have time to trawl through the plans!
Old November 21st, 2005, 10:39 PM   #127
Manchester Planner
Chief Bureaucrat

Looks like a great development.
Manchester Planner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2005, 11:30 PM   #128
Jerv

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
interesting (ahem) rhythm

but, but we agreed to never speak of such evil

I think the 15 storey is still in the same orientation is it not?
Jerv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2005, 11:47 PM   #129
SleepyOne

Quote:
but, but we agreed to never speak of such evil

I think the 15 storey is still in the same orientation is it not?
lol. Mmm yes, its probably my interpretation of the older render rather than how it actually was.
Old November 22nd, 2005, 12:02 AM   #130
Mez

Likes (Received): 8

F**k me. Dont mind the blocks at all. Quite nice really. But what the hell is that round concrete blot!?
Depressing, no matter how big those giant letters are. 70's Moss-side/Hulme and ......just depressing.
Old November 22nd, 2005, 10:05 AM   #131
Farsight

Likes (Received): 142

Thanks jrb. OK now. I like yellow, so the colour isn't a problem. And I think it will go nicely with the stone.

I'm so pleased to see the highrise residential block on campus, I don't mind that it's a plain unimaginative slab.

But the four lower blocks don't quite match, and they suffer on the beauty stakes with the protuding service towers and the lack of a defined roof plus the ranks of square windows. After some of the sleek stuff we've been seeing, they result is so fifties.

And whoa! That lecture theatre is definitely a problem. It's grey, boring, faceless, featureless, too close to both the road and the building next door and totally does not (ahem) "relate". It is a definite blot on the landscape. Carbuncle Alert.
Farsight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 01:05 PM   #132
kids

Likes (Received): 172

It looks like a very attractive development, i'm glad there's a highrise going up here too. Gives us back that view, kinda.
Old November 22nd, 2005, 03:03 PM   #133
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness

Likes (Received): 126

Im not too pleased with this at all.
Irish Blood English Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 03:13 PM   #134
Farsight

Likes (Received): 142

Go on, let me say it:

Quote:
They knocked down the Maths Tower for this? What were they thinking?
jrb: Is there anything on cladding? Are we talking honey stone & stainless steel, or yellow paint & concrete?
Farsight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 09:02 PM   #135
SleepyOne

Its a vast improvement on the Maths tower and will really lift the experience of the campus on the ground. The choice and quality of cladding will be key.
Old November 22nd, 2005, 11:53 PM   #136
doka..dan
BANNED

THE QUESTION IS..DOES TARTING UP A UNIVERSITY TURN OUT BETTER GRADUATES....200 ACADEMY SCHOOLS BEING BUILT AT THE MOMENT AT A COST OF £10bill..A MONEY PIT.... how much money is spent on the aesthetics of the open university!!!!!!!!!!

THE KID FROM THE LANES OF SALFORD......WHERE IS THAT YELLOW VAN!!!!!!!
doka..dan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2005, 12:27 AM   #137
doka..dan
BANNED

WHEN I WAS AT UNIVERSITY.......(MANY YEARS AGO...HOW MANY YEARS........CANT REMEMBER...MUST BE GOING SENILE...IS THAT THE WORD!).....MY MOST IMPORTANT WORRY WAS TO GET MY DEGREE & GETTING A JOB...NOT LOOKING AT FOUR WALLS AND THINKING THATS PRETTY. A UNIVERSITY HAS A FUNCTION AND THAT IS TO TEACH AND INSPIRE STUDENTS TO ACHIEVE THIER GOALS. BY ALL MEANS DIG DEEP INTO THE POCKETS OF FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS..BUT NOT EDUCATIONAL ONES...KEEP THEM COST EFFECTIVE....I LOATHE ARCHITECTS....MUST BE AN ENGINEERING THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by doka..dan; November 23rd, 2005 at 12:58 AM.
Old November 23rd, 2005, 12:40 AM   #138
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Likes (Received): 47

Uni's already have loads of money. They are loaded, the staff are more like sales people than tutors or teachers or what ever they are called.
andysimo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2005, 01:36 AM   #139
doka..dan
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by caw123
Not only is this wrong because they are keeping the Owens Park Tower, but the old UMIST Main and Owens Victoria Uni are both actually over 35m and are therefore highrise.

Farsight. The uni wants to get rid of horrible, stained, outdated, shitty buildings with next to no architectural worth. They are replacing these with high tech buildings that will improve the uni no end. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this. Who cares what buildings are on their website? All that matters is that quality is replacing shite.
UMIST IS AN OLD RED BRICK UNIVERSITY(i.e straight science & engineering courses....not mickey mouse courses..i.e town & planning, media, "what the f_ck course can we make up next" ) ESTABLISHED IN 1824 BY ENGINEERS ....WHY REPLACE THE HEART(SHITE) OF THE INDUSTRIAL REVOLUTION (bar TELFORD)....WELL YOU WILL NOT FIND A SKYSCRAPER NEAR NEAR MY HIGH TECH COLLEGE..!!!!!

Last edited by doka..dan; November 23rd, 2005 at 01:43 AM.
Old November 23rd, 2005, 12:05 PM   #140
Manchester Planner
Chief Bureaucrat

ffs calm down doka..dan
Manchester Planner no está en línea   Reply With Quote