SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Windsor Tour (July 2005) - Ford City

3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Oaronuviss 
#1 ·
Here is the second part of my City of Windsor tour I have done in July 2005. This is Ford City, located in Mideastern section of the city, east of Walkerville. Ford City is a little village in the City of Windsor where Ford's Canadian headquarters was once located until it went to God-forbid Oakville. You can tell by these pictures, that Ford City has definitely seen better days, but it still looks better than areas in the city across the river. :) Most of Ford City isn't in disrepair, though, in fact, all the murals and statues in Ford City are cool and is one of Windsor's many unique neighborhood towns before the city gobbled it up. Business really thrived in this community when Ford was still around. Ford City, though, maintains its history and heritage quite well.

Coming Soon: Ottawa Street, Walkerville, Via Italia, Downtown Windsor, Sculpture Park, Downtown Detroit and Detroit skyline shots!

See less See more
#5 ·
Which may be quite soon...

I guess the Ford Strike of 1945 (like on the plaque), led to the Ford headquarters/plant's fate... yeah, it takes a lot to recover an old neighborhood that has struggled like that, kind of like Old East London. Although Ford City isn't in terrible shape, not like some areas in its neighbor to the north across the river.

#6 ·
Two questions......

1. Is there a picture of Ford's old headquarter? Demolished?
2. Why did Ford move? Was it because of Ford Strike of 1945, Ford get mad and moved?

Kinda reminds me of Barton in Hamilton, blue collar area gone through tough time. Though by the looks Ford City looks better.

#8 · (Edited)
My friends and I took a drive through Ford City the other day in search of hookers. LOL. Not for us, but because we saw in the paper how they have a problem down there, so we decided to take a look and joke around saying to ourselves every person we saw was a hooker. "She's a hooker." "Yep she's a hooker for sure."
To our shock, eventually we did come across a few women that looked exactly like a beat up prostitute. Waiting out on the street.

Then we went to Burger King cause we were hungry, and it was whopper wednesday.

*HISTORY 101
Ford City was actually a small French village before Ford even came over. Right where that plaque and church stand was a parish named Notre-Dame-Du-Lac. The area was settled in the late 1880s and faded away as Ford came.
Windsor is actually composed of other hamlets as well, such as Pillette Village (which to this day I have not seen any information on),

Another hamlet was 'Merocors'? (Tecumseh Rd. AT Pillette)
And another two out near Cabana and South Walkerville I believe.

#11 ·
I have a "DISLIKE" passion for Oakville as well. I have past it many times on the QEW en route to Buffalo (on a Greyhound bus) and it doesn't look like that impressive of a town, in fact, near the lake, it looks rather dumpy and cheesy to me, same goes for Burlington and Mississauga (and yes, even Toronto). In fact, Hamilton absolutely positively BLOWS ALL THOSE away. So do Niagara Falls, St. Catharines, and Fort Erie as well. Windsor does as well, of course. :)

But we're keeping it as peaceful as we can on these forums. Why they decided to put the Ford Headquarters in Oakville and NOT keep it in Windsor, I don't understand that. Windsor would have been a more strategic place.

Blitz is right about all those towns being amalgamated and swallowed up, because a couple of years ago, he gave me a nice tour of the city, and this was one of the areas he showed me. I got pretty much all the areas he showed except for around Devonshire Mall and Sandwich (why didn't I do Sandwich, ugh!). But I will do Sandwich sometime.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.