daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 3rd, 2010, 12:37 AM   #2001
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

The photo was made at the end of Louisenstraße in the Neustadt of Dresden.
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 3rd, 2010, 03:27 AM   #2002
Dr.Seltsam
Live in HD

Likes (Received): 3217

Tiaren...these pictures are simply amazing! Thank you!
Dr.Seltsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2010, 04:45 AM   #2003
durden5573

Likes (Received): 114

Whats happening on Hauptstrasse? It looks like they are tearing down some of the old commie blocks, any plans on what they are rebuilding there?
durden5573 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2010, 06:48 AM   #2004
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4197

Dresden in snow is just lovely.

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2010, 05:04 PM   #2005
Го́голь

Likes (Received): 793

Quote:
Originally Posted by durden5573 View Post
Whats happening on Hauptstrasse? It looks like they are tearing down some of the old commie blocks, any plans on what they are rebuilding there?
http://www.neustaedtermarkt.de/

Time for a topic on the Neustädter Markt?
Old December 7th, 2010, 12:11 AM   #2006
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Another one of my own pics of Rampische Straße...possible someday the most beautiful street in Dresden?

image hosted on flickr

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."

Highcliff liked this post
Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 03:06 AM   #2007
Tiaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Го́голь View Post
http://www.neustaedtermarkt.de/

Time for a topic on the Neustädter Markt?
Would be a rather depressing topic, since there are no actual plans to reconstruct anything there.
Old December 7th, 2010, 05:03 AM   #2008
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1676

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiaren View Post
Would be a rather depressing topic, since there are no actual plans to reconstruct anything there.
As I understand it, much planning and drawings have been completed that recreate the baroque Hauptstrasse and nearby streets and lanes. However, the stumbing block is, once again, the modernist architects who are fighting any approvals to move forward with the reconstruction of the former houses and look of the area.
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2010, 09:57 AM   #2009
johol903

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepthepast View Post
As I understand it, much planning and drawings have been completed that recreate the baroque Hauptstrasse and nearby streets and lanes. However, the stumbing block is, once again, the modernist architects who are fighting any approvals to move forward with the reconstruction of the former houses and look of the area.
I have never understood the modernist urge to bury the past. Why can't they be content with building modernist buildings where no buildings have been before? Ah, well...

On a happier note: Those pictures of Dresden in snow were fantastic!
johol903 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2010, 05:30 PM   #2010
oldcenterfan

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by johol903 View Post
I have never understood the modernist urge to bury the past. Why can't they be content with building modernist buildings where no buildings have been before? Ah, well...

it's for prestige! Architect want demonstrate their talent and let a imprint in memory.
oldcenterfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2010, 08:13 PM   #2011
durden5573

Likes (Received): 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by johol903 View Post

Couldn't agree more, i love modern buildings and architecture, but there are plenty of places for them - a historic blvd which could be beautifully restored is not one of those places! I'm eager to see what happens here.
durden5573 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2010, 09:53 PM   #2012
Tiaren

As there are no construction updates, again a beautiful picture of Dresden this winter:

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thomass...n/photostream/

Old December 10th, 2010, 01:45 AM   #2013
keepthepast

Kurt Vonnegut first laid eyes on Dresden in the winter of 1944/45. It was a heavy snow year, and he said it looked like "a fairy tale land of beauty".

Last edited by keepthepast; December 11th, 2010 at 10:20 PM.
Old December 13th, 2010, 01:47 AM   #2014
wolfpaw

Likes (Received): 116

Quote:
However, the stumbing block is, once again, the modernist architects who are fighting any approvals to move forward with the reconstruction of the former houses and look of the area.
Why don't they just piss off and find some other city to wreck

benpicko liked this post
wolfpaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2010, 05:40 PM   #2015
Tiaren

Panoramic webcam view over the Neumarkt area:
http://panorama.dresden.de/
Old December 14th, 2010, 05:35 PM   #2016
keepthepast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpaw View Post
Why don't they just piss off and find some other city to wreck
They won't go away because they, like so many professions, have been taught and trained to be selfish in their pursuits of their own beliefs, goals, and biases. Architects should praise the opportunity to use their craft to rebuild the historic structures and rebirth a once great city. However, the modernists feel they are just mimmicking others' designs and work; to an extent this is true, but that's the point they simply cannot comprehend. They'd rather utilize a premier location to put their own image of reality, and the historic value be damned.
Old December 15th, 2010, 12:51 AM   #2017
wolfpaw

Quote:
They won't go away because they, like so many professions, have been taught and trained to be selfish in their pursuits of their own beliefs, goals, and biases. Architects should praise the opportunity to use their craft to rebuild the historic structures and rebirth a once great city. However, the modernists feel they are just mimmicking others' designs and work; to an extent this is true, but that's the point they simply cannot comprehend. They'd rather utilize a premier location to put their own image of reality, and the historic value be damned.
I agree. It seems that they cannot stand the thought of returning to an earlier style. Something I don't understand is why so much 'modernist' architecture is almost exactly the same as the stuff that was being thrown up 50 years ago! Where is the evolution?? Where is the development?? Apart from a few avant-garde architects all that's being produced are almost carbon copies of the sort of crap that sprung up across Europe after WW2 i.e. slabs of square blocks and concrete rectangles with some big windows shoved in them. For me, modernism crossed an architectural Rubicon from which there is neither any turning back or any route forwards. It's just a complete nightmare. If people praise the reconstruction of historic facades in Dresden it's only because the alternatives are so pitiful. I assume that after the damage caused to the city by the Seven Years War the town was rebuilt in the latest style. The problem today is that the 'latest style' is just the same old insipid trash from 50 years ago.
Old December 16th, 2010, 08:01 PM   #2018
SonOfThomp

Likes (Received): 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpaw View Post
Something I don't understand is why so much 'modernist' architecture is almost exactly the same as the stuff that was being thrown up 50 years ago! Where is the evolution?? Where is the development??The problem today is that the 'latest style' is just the same old insipid trash from 50 years ago.

Well stated, and a much more civil tone than I could be trusted to use.
Rebuilding a street in baroque style but with a modernist (or post-modernist, for that matter) structure thrown in here and there is like pouring sugar in your beer.

There should be selected areas that are absolutely off limits to modernist architecture.
SonOfThomp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2010, 09:14 PM   #2019
sattar

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampflamm View Post
A true masterpiece. They just don't build 'em like that anymore (except in Dresden ).

I like Germany so I want to have visit there in next year because my brothers wife live there
dresden is beautiful

sattar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2010, 11:50 PM   #2020
wolfpaw

Whenever I see photos of these reconstructed facades going up I'm always amazed at the sheer gumption it took to decide to rebuild after so many years. Does anyone know exactly how it came about and who was ultimately responsible?

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, construction updates, dresden, reconstruction, redevelopment, rekonstrucje, rekonstruktion, sachsen