daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 17th, 2011, 08:05 PM   #2061
Luli Pop
BANNED

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepthepast View Post
Welcome! The discovery of Dresden is like unearthing a well kept secret that only a few in the world know about...both its horrific destruction and it glorious resurrection. Glad you made the discovery and found this site!
Are you kidding or just being sarcastic?

everybody knows about Dresden!

is one of the most important cities in the most important country in Europe!

maybe in Justin Biebers country people donīt know it, but in the rest of the world non-analphabetic people certainly knows Dresden!
Luli Pop no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 17th, 2011, 10:51 PM   #2062
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

I think most people have heard about the destruction but not too many people know what sort of a jewel it was before the war and the reconstruction efforts that have taken place in recent years have probably gone largely unnoticed as well.

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."

Highcliff liked this post
Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2011, 11:16 PM   #2063
TimothyR
Ike

Likes (Received): 2085

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepthepast View Post
Welcome! The discovery of Dresden is like unearthing a well kept secret that only a few in the world know about...both its horrific destruction and it glorious resurrection. Glad you made the discovery and found this site!
Thanks
TimothyR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2011, 11:19 PM   #2064
TimothyR
Ike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luli Pop View Post

maybe in Justin Biebers country people donīt know it, but in the rest of the world non-analphabetic people certainly knows Dresden!
Why are you hostile?

I do not tolerate Anti-Americanism or any xenophobia. I will avoid your posts...
Old February 17th, 2011, 11:22 PM   #2065
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Isn't Bieber Canadian?

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."

Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2011, 11:35 PM   #2066
TimothyR
Ike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampflamm View Post
Isn't Bieber Canadian?
I believe that 'Justin Biebers country' refers to the US especially as the comment was directed to a US poster.

Anyway - this is a foolish conversation about silly insults. I was hoping for more on a forum like this. Dresden is a wonderful city and it is available to the whole world.
Old February 18th, 2011, 12:09 AM   #2067
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1677

Quote:

I was not being sarcastic. Until Unification, Dresden, like many cities in the communist bloc, were largely unknown. In particular, the bombing of Dresden was described to me, by a professor of history at the University of California Berkeley, as one of history's "black holes', meaning there was very, very little academic or public interest, awareness, or study of the city/subject.

Since the rebuilding of the Frauenkirche, better awareness of the city has been acheived, partly because of its baroque background, but largely because of its semi conductor industry. Its history as a former architectural jewel, victim of (what many consider) criminal bombing in WWII, and struggle to resurrect, and worthy travel destination is, unfortunately, still not seem commonly known or embraced. Most of my friends in Berlin and west Germany have never been there and most North Americans (and their travel agents) don't put it on their itineraries. Frommer's Europe (one of the best selling travle guides) lists the following 20 cities as the most popular destinations. Dresden is not on the list.

Amsterdam
Athens
Barcelona
Berlin
Brussels
Budapest
Copenhagen
Dublin
Florence
Lisbon
London
Madrid
Munich
Paris
Prague
Rome
Stockholm
Venice
Vienna
Zurich
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 12:28 AM   #2068
Luli Pop
BANNED

from my point of view is hostile pretending that Dresden is unknown just because in ones country most people donīt know about history nor geography.

Iīm not anti American (I like most Americans in fact), Iīm just anti ignorance.

In the list you posted Seville, Verona, Siena, Lyon, Nice, Dubrovnik, Edimburgh arenīt listed and that doesnīt mean those cities are unknown.

sorry if I was rude, but Iīm kind of tired listening northamericans implying the rest of the world has the same cultural level they have.

I feel Iīm leveled down.

anyways, I love Dresden and will go there anytime soon!
Old February 18th, 2011, 01:19 AM   #2069
SO143
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3624

Dude, he is from Stratford, Canada and he is Canadian.
SO143 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 02:45 PM   #2070
Luli Pop
BANNED

so what?

it's the same culture!
Old February 18th, 2011, 05:55 PM   #2071
keepthepast

Quote:
from my point of view is hostile pretending that Dresden is unknown just because in ones country most people donīt know about history nor geography.

Iīm not anti American (I like most Americans in fact), Iīm just anti ignorance.
I never said it was "unknown". I said it was largely unknown and few people in the world know about it (it's history and stuggle). That remains a fact, imho. This is a global sitem, and I am confident that fewer than 10% of the world's nearly 7 billion people have spent time learning about Dresden. That makes it largely unknown. I'm anti ingnorance, too, and Canada is not the same culture as the USA any more than your's is the same as the USA.
Old February 18th, 2011, 06:01 PM   #2072
SO143
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3624

Quote:
so what?

it's the same culture!
Canadian may have similar accent but they absolutely do not have the same culture as the Yanks.
SO143 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 06:34 PM   #2073
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Likes (Received): 5285

well we used to have our own culture but the current dictator/prime minister Harper is making us American (in a bad way) really fast. Yes, and Bieber (who I always thought was a lesbian, but is actually a 15 year old boy) is indeed from Canada, but no doubt as all Canadians who make it, he will move to LA or Switzerland.

Anyway, I have always wanted to visit Dresden, looks like there is more reason to now. So bad that UNESCO took it off the list because of some new bridge. How can a bridge effect the look of a city that much. Is it that modern or something? Thanks

Warsaw Post-War Reconstruction to Present

Urbanista1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 07:22 PM   #2074
keepthepast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanista1 View Post
I have always wanted to visit Dresden, looks like there is more reason to now. So bad that UNESCO took it off the list because of some new bridge. How can a bridge effect the look of a city that much. Is it that modern or something? Thanks
UNESCO has its problems with fairness and bias. They claimed the bridge caused Dresden and the Elbe Valley to fail in keeping its "outstanding universal value as inscribed" as a cultural landscape. This is in spite of the fact that sites meet only one of their 10 evaluative criteria, listed here:

Selection criteria:

i.to represent a masterpiece of human creative genius;
ii.to exhibit an important interchange of human values, over a span of time or within a cultural area of the world, on developments in architecture or technology, monumental arts, town-planning or landscape design;
iii.to bear a unique or at least exceptional testimony to a cultural tradition or to a civilization which is living or which has disappeared;
iv.to be an outstanding example of a type of building, architectural or technological ensemble or landscape which illustrates (a) significant stage(s) in human history;
v.to be an outstanding example of a traditional human settlement, land-use, or sea-use which is representative of a culture (or cultures), or human interaction with the environment especially when it has become vulnerable under the impact of irreversible change;
vi.to be directly or tangibly associated with events or living traditions, with ideas, or with beliefs, with artistic and literary works of outstanding universal significance. (The Committee considers that this criterion should preferably be used in conjunction with other criteria);
vii.to contain superlative natural phenomena or areas of exceptional natural beauty and aesthetic importance;
viii.to be outstanding examples representing major stages of earth's history, including the record of life, significant on-going geological processes in the development of landforms, or significant geomorphic or physiographic features;
ix.to be outstanding examples representing significant on-going ecological and biological processes in the evolution and development of terrestrial, fresh water, coastal and marine ecosystems and communities of plants and animals;
x.to contain the most important and significant natural habitats for in-situ conservation of biological diversity, including those containing threatened species of outstanding universal value from the point of view of science or conservation.
The protection, management, authenticity and integrity of properties are also important considerations.

Since 1992 significant interactions between people and the natural environment have been recognized as cultural landscapes.
Old February 18th, 2011, 07:29 PM   #2075
durden5573

Likes (Received): 114

It seems to be a very polarizing topic, most of the young people I talked to in Dresden were in favor of the bridge and more concerned with economic progress than UNESCO classifications. I can empathize.
durden5573 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 11:40 PM   #2076
keepthepast

Quote:
Originally Posted by durden5573 View Post
It seems to be a very polarizing topic, most of the young people I talked to in Dresden were in favor of the bridge and more concerned with economic progress than UNESCO classifications. I can empathize.
Actually, I agree with that sentiment. Most of the UNESCO sites are literally museum pieces that are immortalized in a frozen timeframe. The resurrection of Dresden as an important historical, cultural, educational, AND center of commerce requires that it not exist in a 19th century box.

In spite of some modernist errors in design, the Dresdners have done a fabulous job at rebuilding their past (and more to come) as well as keeping pace with the future.
Old February 19th, 2011, 12:58 AM   #2077
FritzMitWitz

Likes (Received): 535

Dresden became an amazing city once again in the last few years. I just wished other German cities would follow the path of Dresden and discover the beauty of old architecture once again. There will be some reconstruction in Franfurts former old city next 6 years.
FritzMitWitz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2011, 01:19 AM   #2078
Jeanbonnau
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8

Das ist eine sehr gute Idee, Dresden wiederaufzubauen. Ich habe mich immer gefragt warum man nicht heutige Städte mit der heutigen Technologie baut, aber in ehemaligen Stylen. Dresden ist ein gutes Beispiel.
Jeanbonnau no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2011, 02:55 AM   #2079
eu
Magic Member

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by FritzMitWitz View Post
Dresden became an amazing city once again in the last few years. I just wished other German cities would follow the path of Dresden and discover the beauty of old architecture once again. There will be some reconstruction in Franfurts former old city next 6 years.
Really? Can you show us some of this projects? (maybe not in this thread, as it would be a little off topic, of course).
Old February 23rd, 2011, 08:43 PM   #2080
Chris_533976

Likes (Received): 26

Unfortunately not the Salzhaus
Chris_533976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, construction updates, dresden, reconstruction, redevelopment, rekonstrucje, rekonstruktion, sachsen