daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 24th, 2011, 02:17 AM   #2081
rychlik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luli Pop View Post
Are you kidding or just being sarcastic?

everybody knows about Dresden!

is one of the most important cities in the most important country in Europe!

maybe in Justin Biebers country people don┤t know it, but in the rest of the world non-analphabetic people certainly knows Dresden!
Most non europeans would not know this city.
rychlik no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 24th, 2011, 04:40 PM   #2082
Filip01
Pilanin

Likes (Received): 87

I guess that Dresden owes much to Vonnegut, and most of Americans know the town just because of the Slaughterhouse.
Filip01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 06:57 PM   #2083
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1677

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filip01 View Post
I guess that Dresden owes much to Vonnegut, and most of Americans know the town just because of the Slaughterhouse.
"Most"? That would make the book and film the largest sales/grossing of all time. But, not even close.
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 07:26 PM   #2084
Filip01
Pilanin

Oh, you are not going to make a Hollywood blockbuster out of sth like Vonnegut's work, but still. He is responsible for the knowledge of the topic in the USA. Who should know, knows, and just admit it, most of society nowadays just don't care either way, and people who really appreciate high culture which require thinking, instead of eating some pop corn, are in the minority anyway.
Old February 24th, 2011, 08:06 PM   #2085
Dr.Mabuse
Proud Member of the DWF!

Likes (Received): 548

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filip01 View Post
Oh, you are not going to make a Hollywood blockbuster out of sth like Vonnegut's work, but still. He is responsible for the knowledge of the topic in the USA. Who should know, knows, and just admit it, most of society nowadays just don't care either way, and people who really appreciate high culture which require thinking, instead of eating some pop corn, are in the minority anyway.
true words
Dr.Mabuse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2011, 06:32 PM   #2086
eu
Magic Member

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychlik View Post
Most non europeans would not know this city.
Sadly true.
Old February 28th, 2011, 08:05 PM   #2087
SonOfThomp

Likes (Received): 226

I read SLAUGHTERHOUSE-FIVE when I was 12 or 13. That was my first knowledge of Dresden. But, since I am interested in art, architecture and history, I'm sure I would have heard of it anyway.

Quartier VIII is looking good. Will be happy to see the kopfbau for Rampische-Stra▀e (Nr. 33?) begun. Hopes for the Paias de Saxe, since it backs up to the already completed British Hotel.
Let's keep our fingers crossed for the Stadt Rom - hopefully with its original roofline.

Cheers To All
SonOfThomp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2011, 08:38 PM   #2088
SkyDiveJunkee

Likes (Received): 1163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luli Pop View Post
so what?

it's the same culture!
Preaching anti-ignorance while displaying an anti-American bias, and then to sweepingly generalize American and Canadian cultures, is embarrassing for you.

Most Americans know of Dresden. Let's move on.
SkyDiveJunkee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2011, 08:42 PM   #2089
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Quartier VIII

Source: http://www.bausituation-dresden.com/

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."

Highcliff liked this post
Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 05:46 PM   #2090
keepthepast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampflamm View Post
Interesting to wonder what the elderly couple in the for ground are thinking. Did they, as children, know the neumarkt in its original form? How do they feel about the construction projects?

JustinHerman liked this post
Old March 1st, 2011, 05:57 PM   #2091
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

From what I've read, some older people actually object to the reconstruction efforts because they liked the wide open spaces (at least that's what heard in another online forum). I suppose it may have something to do with the memories of the war particularly if they were in the city during the firestorm.

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."

Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 10:23 PM   #2092
Filip01
Pilanin

It's just changes elderly people don't find it easy and necessary to get used to. That's all.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 11:15 AM   #2093
Karasek

Likes (Received): 804

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepthepast View Post
How do they feel about the construction projects?
The people of Dresden are strange. Many of them speak of the city as if the destruction never happened. At the same time many of the older people are somewhat proud of the post-war rebuilding and see the demolition of any Commie block as a threat to their own life-time achievement.
Karasek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 11:22 AM   #2094
Skymino
Ambrosian User

Likes (Received): 5472

How wonderful, the old city of Dresden is becoming visibly reborn like a phoenix

thanks for the pictures

Urbanfile Blog - MyFlickr - MilÓn l'era inscý

Skymino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 11:58 AM   #2095
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karasek View Post
The people of Dresden are strange. Many of them speak of the city as if the destruction never happened. At the same time many of the older people are somewhat proud of the post-war rebuilding and see the demolition of any Commie block as a threat to their own life-time achievement.
What I often find quite funny too is, when they speak of their city as Germany's most beautiful or even one of the most beautiful cities in the entire world. While Dresden is definitely in parts a really beautiful city (especially the outskirts) the beauty of it's core is pretty limited. I mean, you can marvel at a beautiful ensemble of historic buildings, but if you turn 180░ you behold the "beauty" of a giant empty lot, or carpark, or an ensemble of rundown commieblocks. I don't think that deserves to be called a rival of the likes of Florence and Prague (or to mention German cities: Bamberg and G÷rlitz) at all.
And when they fill empty lots with modern, bland concrete blocks, I also can hardly understand how they dare use the "in the most beautiful city in Germany"-phrase in their advertising. It doesn't really get more beautiful with those...

Last edited by Tiaren; March 2nd, 2011 at 12:05 PM.
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 12:39 PM   #2096
strandeed

Likes (Received): 107

It would be nice to see some of the areas of UK cities destroyed in Nazi bombing restored in such a way

Probably wont happen though as the public have more or less been brainwashed into "contemporary modern good, classical bad"

Photodash liked this post
strandeed está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2011, 04:51 PM   #2097
durden5573

Likes (Received): 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandeed View Post
It would be nice to see some of the areas of UK cities destroyed in Nazi bombing restored in such a way

Probably wont happen though as the public have more or less been brainwashed into "contemporary modern good, classical bad"
I wonder if this is a product of postwar economics. One could argue that the UK chose the most economical path of reconstruction which did not lend itself to rebuilding in the historical style, vs a desire for contemporary modern construction?

Also, I can understand the GDR building such drab crap, with low funds, and the immediate need to replace destroyed houses (and so many displaced Germans from eastern Europe), it made sense. Although there was a political social agenda, I think the commie block building boom of the 50s and 60s were immediate need driven. Its only since the influx of West German funds that any of this historical reconstruction is possible (although I realize much of the neumarkt is privately funded).
durden5573 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2011, 06:30 PM   #2098
cardiff

Likes (Received): 5843

I dont think we will ever see reconstruction on this scale in the UK, its not in the psyche of the people to rebuild something thats lost, just to preserve whats there as authenticaly as possible (regardless of how well the construction it would always be seen as pastiche in the uk). Thankfully this reconstruction is looking great and transforming Dresden.
cardiff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2011, 07:12 PM   #2099
keepthepast

Quote:
Originally Posted by durden5573 View Post
I wonder if this is a product of postwar economics. One could argue that the UK chose the most economical path of reconstruction which did not lend itself to rebuilding in the historical style, vs a desire for contemporary modern construction?

Also, I can understand the GDR building such drab crap, with low funds, and the immediate need to replace destroyed houses (and so many displaced Germans from eastern Europe), it made sense. Although there was a political social agenda, I think the commie block building boom of the 50s and 60s were immediate need driven. Its only since the influx of West German funds that any of this historical reconstruction is possible (although I realize much of the neumarkt is privately funded).
I think this is spot on. We must remember that millions of people were homeless after WWII, the infrastructure was decimated, and the fastest and most efficient way to house people (saving their lives literally) and get the nation reasonably patched up were the commie block houses. It hard to even compare those structures with true modernism design, but generally speaking--little or no relief or ornamentation on flat square exterior walls and flat roofs with surface materials generally concrete. This phenomenon occured worldwide, but elsewhere it was expansion rather than replacement. Either way, we now have a global-normative look to most cities. The daily banner on this site featuring a different city demonstates the vast loss of identity/beauty that cities worldwide have endured. Most of the banner photos could be anywhere.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 07:37 PM   #2100
White Light
Shines in the dark...

Likes (Received): 943

This is overwhelmingly beautiful! I cant wait to be finished, and even i am far in Serbia, i will gladly go to visit this marvelous restoration.

Well done, Dresden!

Believe in architecture..........
White Light está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, construction updates, dresden, reconstruction, redevelopment, rekonstrucje, rekonstruktion, sachsen