daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 21st, 2011, 01:36 AM   #2121
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Likes (Received): 5285

wow, they have come a long way. beautiful.

Warsaw Post-War Reconstruction to Present

Highcliff liked this post
Urbanista1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 21st, 2011, 02:40 AM   #2122
Galro
Humanity through Urbanity

Likes (Received): 9777

Quote:
Originally Posted by durden5573 View Post
I think you need to clarify "liked": people enjoyed LIVING with more space, modern plumbing and comforts never seen in old historical row housing, however, AESTHETICALLY I don't think anyone ever 'liked' commie blocks - that being said I could be wrong as they built a bunch here in North America in the 70s. After living in a cramped pre-war flat in Berlin for a summer, I think I wouldn't have minded 'upgrading' to a commie block.
I can't speak for other cities, but here in Oslo this building was long consider to be the ugliest building in town:
image hosted on flickr

In an attempt to de-uglify the city, many buildings where re-clad into more modern and boring structures (seen with todays eyes). A very good example of this is the building known as Hasselgården. How it originally looked:

The very same building after a reclad today:

And that's not the only example of altering of old buildings we have done, which anyone who visits the city will see.

The only advantage the new design had was that it was consider to be pretty at the time. You have only seen the same in the US where once majestic buildings have gotten reclads to follow the times. The New York Times building at times Square being one example. Historic buildings like all other buildings are offer of the same architectural fashion waves as other.

Galro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2011, 07:11 AM   #2123
BG_PATRIOT
BANNED

Likes (Received): 69

WOW! It is really sad to see such things...I hope that one day they realize the error and turn it back to its original look
BG_PATRIOT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2011, 06:46 PM   #2124
White Light
Shines in the dark...

Likes (Received): 943

AAahahaha, no, you probably just switch places of the first and third photo? I don't want to believe that it is like you presented...

Or something is just wrong there? Building from the first photo is not the same as building on the second one. You mixed something there...

Believe in architecture..........

Photodash liked this post

Last edited by White Light; March 21st, 2011 at 06:51 PM. Reason: add
White Light está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2011, 07:13 PM   #2125
Galro

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Light View Post
AAahahaha, no, you probably just switch places of the first and third photo? I don't want to believe that it is like you presented...

Or something is just wrong there? Building from the first photo is not the same as building on the second one. You mixed something there...
Yes, the first building was long consider to be worst looking building in the city. Luckily no one managed to ruin it, although we had plans to demolish it to make way for some commie blocks.

The second building (b&w) is a building that did get ruined. Like you can see in the pictures. Sadly it is not the only one. All these building stand along the same street:

Before:

After modernisation:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Sorry for taking the tread of topic, but I just wanted to add that I don't believe any architectural styles have been immune to hate.

Old March 21st, 2011, 07:51 PM   #2126
durden5573

Likes (Received): 114

Very sad, I had no idea so many other European countries went through a period of modernization which came at the expense of such beautiful classical buildings. At least many of the great European cities survived the freeway boom which occurred post-war in North America. Many of the few historic centers in NA have turned into freeway interchanges, and many of the few rail lines were pulled up for wider boulevards
durden5573 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2011, 08:11 PM   #2127
Galro

Quote:
Originally Posted by durden5573 View Post
Very sad, I had no idea so many other European countries went through a period of modernization which came at the expense of such beautiful classical buildings. At least many of the great European cities survived the freeway boom which occurred post-war in North America. Many of the few historic centers in NA have turned into freeway interchanges, and many of the few rail lines were pulled up for wider boulevards
In our case I think some of the inspiration actually came from America. Many of our buildings and trends where quite US inspired, and I believe we built among the earliest if not the first Chigaco-school inspired building in Europe (although we didn't build it with Chigaco inspired height), completed already in 1895. We also have warehouses inspired by the one along the Chicago river and few more city blocks inspired be various Us-buildings.

I think this in turn meant that we where more likely to get inspiration from the US when it comes to further development of the city after these historic buildings had gone out of fashion. Also add the Functionalism (modernism) that was popular in scandinavia at the time, and you have disaster waiting to happen when it comes to protect these old buildings. The examples shown above are just a few from the city, all taken from the same street (about 100m long or so). I would say that perhaps 80% of all classical buildings here in Oslo have been altered in some way or another.

But it's not only the buildings that have suffered. We also demolished thousands years of ruins and rock engravings to lay down railroad tracks and build freeways.

Last edited by Galro; March 21st, 2011 at 08:19 PM.
Old April 1st, 2011, 04:34 PM   #2128
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Quartier VIII:

Ugly grey rooftiles.

Source: http://www.bausituation-dresden.com/

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."

Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2011, 06:28 PM   #2129
Skymino
Ambrosian User

Likes (Received): 5472

Wow...

Urbanfile Blog - MyFlickr - Milàn l'era insć

Skymino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2011, 06:33 PM   #2130
WhiteMagick
Moderator - Επιτηρητής

good to see my favorite project still going on full speed

如果希腊国民继续信阴谋论,外资救世主的,不为自己的行为负责, 他们会灭亡。

人は何かの犠牲なしに何も得ることはできない。何かを得るためには同等の代価が必要になる。それが、生活における等価交換の原則だ。その頃僕らは、それが世界の真実だと信じていた。時間は、最も貴重な資源である。だから、誰の時間もあなたは無駄にしてはいけないし、誰もが他の人の時間を無駄にしないでください。
WhiteMagick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2011, 07:06 PM   #2131
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Likes (Received): 5285

very nice and moving along very well.

Warsaw Post-War Reconstruction to Present

Urbanista1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2011, 07:27 PM   #2132
White Light
Shines in the dark...

Likes (Received): 943

What is that gray wall with 4 vaults on the right in the second photo? Is it in the quarter VII? And is that part of something?...

Believe in architecture..........
White Light está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2011, 08:26 PM   #2133
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

It's a wall of the Stallhof (stables court) of the Castle. It's not really a part of quarter VII, but it will be attached to one of the walls of the houses, that are going to be built.
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2011, 11:20 PM   #2134
Chadoh25

Likes (Received): 805

Looking good!
Chadoh25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2011, 06:36 PM   #2135
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1677

Progress is moving along nicely. Too bad some of the cranes and bull dozers don't go wild and "accidentally" destroy the KulturPalast in the process. That remains a great big wart on the nose of the neumarkt.
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2011, 09:23 PM   #2136
intervention
planning inaction

I like the Kultur Palast :> I mean, spruce up the facade with some glass or build around the existing envelope and you'll have a nice modern contrast :>
intervention no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2011, 01:34 AM   #2137
JohnnyMass
Whatever

Likes (Received): 1493

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepthepast View Post
Progress is moving along nicely. Too bad some of the cranes and bull dozers don't go wild and "accidentally" destroy the KulturPalast in the process. That remains a great big wart on the nose of the neumarkt.
Once all the reconstruction is done around the Neumarkt it won't be seen anymore.
Old April 6th, 2011, 05:30 PM   #2138
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1677

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMass View Post
Once all the reconstruction is done around the Neumarkt it won't be seen anymore.
except front and center and quite prominent at the entrance from the southern approach.
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2011, 05:49 AM   #2139
Saigoneseguy
Vivat capitalismus

Likes (Received): 106

I just hope they'd get rid of the Kulturpalast. Why can't they build something by Norman Foster or Herzog & Meuron there, a new theater, art gallery, shopping mall...anything?
Old April 14th, 2011, 04:31 PM   #2140
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

They just don't want to! Dresden is a rich city, they could build everything they wanted...but they chose to protect that hideous monster and all over in the city (except the Neumarkt) Dresden keeps on building the most hideous concrete boxes in all of Germany.
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, construction updates, dresden, reconstruction, redevelopment, rekonstrucje, rekonstruktion, sachsen