daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old July 23rd, 2011, 09:18 PM   #2361
wolfpaw
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 304
Likes (Received): 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepthepast View Post
Somewhat true, but not completely. This comment suggests that for about 300 years, building owners in Dresden did not maintain their structures, both in terms of repairs as well as decorative upkeep. What many people mistakenly do is look at the old photos in black and white and sepia tones and believe that was what the area actually looked like in color too. Not so. Some of the color city scape paintings show the array of colorations in the structures and of course artists usually dramatize the shadows, patinas, etc for creating a more interesting, in their views, painting. But to believe that the beauty of pre war Dresden was in a collection of run-down, battered, and othewise uncared for structures is not the case.
Take the roof tiles as an example. I don't believe for a moment that the good citizens of Dresden got up onto their roofs and washed the tiles every Sunday, but anyone who has seen old roofs will instantly see the difference between an old roof tile and the modern ones that have been put on the Dresden reconstructions. That difference is down to techniques of construction, material used and, probably most importantly, time. There's no weathering to the buildings at the moment, obviously. There are a lot of subtle details that can contribute to a sense of age than merely the colour of the walls or the newness of the paint. I don't recall implying that the attraction of pre-war Dresden was down to its scruffy appearance...
wolfpaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 23rd, 2011, 09:20 PM   #2362
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA
 
Kampflamm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Occupied Europe
Posts: 23,654

I wouldn't call it uncared for, but just look at Warsaw's old town. It just feels older, not run-down. Right now these places still look spick and span which makes them stand out since we're just used to these buildings looking a bit less clean. Within 10 years the roofs should already look a bit more worn out.
__________________
Free German passport

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."

Highcliff liked this post
Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2011, 10:28 PM   #2363
ArtNouveauFan
Registered User
 
ArtNouveauFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Osijek
Posts: 2,363
Likes (Received): 378

What an amazing project!
ArtNouveauFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2011, 12:22 PM   #2364
Skyscraperer
Scraping Skies
 
Skyscraperer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Orchard, Singapore
Posts: 115
Likes (Received): 1

It makes me happy, for some reason, that we are still able to build these "historic style" buildings, even though its a reconstruction.
__________________
The end
Skyscraperer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 07:40 PM   #2365
keepthepast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 977
Likes (Received): 1676

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpaw View Post
Take the roof tiles as an example. I don't believe for a moment that the good citizens of Dresden got up onto their roofs and washed the tiles every Sunday, but anyone who has seen old roofs will instantly see the difference between an old roof tile and the modern ones that have been put on the Dresden reconstructions. That difference is down to techniques of construction, material used and, probably most importantly, time. There's no weathering to the buildings at the moment, obviously. There are a lot of subtle details that can contribute to a sense of age than merely the colour of the walls or the newness of the paint. I don't recall implying that the attraction of pre-war Dresden was down to its scruffy appearance...
sorry, didnt' mean to ruffle your feathers. You did say the new construction is "(missing) centuries of dirt and grime and hundreds of years of subtle weathering" which is seems to imply a scruffy appearance indeed.
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 11:02 PM   #2366
citysur
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 24
Likes (Received): 1

amazing reconstruction !!
citysur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2011, 02:51 PM   #2367
dlamoureux
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 25
Likes (Received): 8

Who cares if the buildings look new. There was nothing there! I'm just happy something is there now after all these years. Looks wonderful.
dlamoureux no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2011, 08:01 PM   #2368
SonOfThomp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 290
Likes (Received): 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlamoureux View Post
Who cares if the buildings look new. There was nothing there! I'm just happy something is there now after all these years. Looks wonderful.
The buildings that were there before 1945 were new once, too. One day, the reconstructions will no longer be new, and will no longer look new. That point seems moot; time will have its way. But the hideous, modernist buildings they see fit to drop here and there throughout the Neumarkt area will still look just as ugly then as they do today.

In evidence:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-klyBoq1Inj...4/s1600/10.JPG

The modern building on the corner is the most visible on the black. And there it is, sneering at us!
SonOfThomp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2011, 02:11 AM   #2369
wolfpaw
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 304
Likes (Received): 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfThomp View Post
The buildings that were there before 1945 were new once, too. One day, the reconstructions will no longer be new, and will no longer look new. That point seems moot; time will have its way. But the hideous, modernist buildings they see fit to drop here and there throughout the Neumarkt area will still look just as ugly then as they do today.

In evidence:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-klyBoq1Inj...4/s1600/10.JPG

The modern building on the corner is the most visible on the black. And there it is, sneering at us!
I bet the sneering ones will be knocked down in ten years and rebuilt as something more historically accurate
wolfpaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2011, 02:37 PM   #2370
Dr.Seltsam
Live in HD
 
Dr.Seltsam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Heidelberg (HD)
Posts: 2,479
Likes (Received): 3217

I don't think this building is so bad...it's pleasable! But let's wait untill it is finished.
Dr.Seltsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2011, 04:38 PM   #2371
wolfpaw
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 304
Likes (Received): 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Seltsam View Post
I don't think this building is so bad...it's pleasable! But let's wait untill it is finished.
I agree. For me one of the worst is that hotel on Rampische Straße, but people have said that it looks a lot less hideous from street level than it might appear in the photos.
wolfpaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2011, 05:34 PM   #2372
SonOfThomp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 290
Likes (Received): 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpaw View Post
I agree. For me one of the worst is that hotel on Rampische Straße, but people have said that it looks a lot less hideous from street level than it might appear in the photos.
The hotel on Rampische Straße is similar, in my view, except for the color of the roof.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/--863A6psRQ...Q/s1600/14.JPG

Relative to That Sneering Thing, it is hidden, not being on a corner and thus not in plain view.

A similar pair that seems to mock their neighbors:

http://media.photobucket.com/image/r...b4aa0094_b.jpg
SonOfThomp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2011, 07:33 PM   #2373
wolfpaw
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 304
Likes (Received): 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfThomp View Post

A similar pair that seems to mock their neighbors:

http://media.photobucket.com/image/r...b4aa0094_b.jpg
The thin glass-fronted one isn't totally horrible because at least it doesn't pretend to be anything other than what it is, but the giant block next to it on the right is just grim.
wolfpaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 12:28 PM   #2374
WhiteMagick
Moderator - Επιτηρητής
 
WhiteMagick's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 18,087

Quartier VIII





























Courtesy of: http://www.bausituation-dresden.com/
__________________
Ο κάθε λαός έχει το κράτος και την κυβέρνηση που του αξίζει. Καθρέφτης λαού, ἄστη αυτού.

如果希腊国民继续信阴谋论,外资救世主的,不为自己的行为负责, 他们会灭亡。

人は何かの犠牲なしに何も得ることはできない。何かを得るためには同等の代価が必要になる。それが、生活における等価交換の原則だ。その頃僕らは、それが世界の真実だと信じていた。時間は、最も貴重な資源である。だから、誰の時間もあなたは無駄にしてはいけないし、誰もが他の人の時間を無駄にしないでください。

Highcliff liked this post
WhiteMagick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 12:30 PM   #2375
erbse
LIBERTINED
 
erbse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: McLenBurg
Posts: 43,167
Likes (Received): 57844

Awesome, thank you! Nice to see it slowly stripping, that's sexy.


I still don't like the greyish colors, but oh well. The buildings themselve turn out to be gorgeous.
__________________
GET FREE!
D W F


🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Highcliff liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 12:55 PM   #2376
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA
 
Kampflamm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Occupied Europe
Posts: 23,654

Looks nice but just a bit too sterile. I think some color could have worked wonders on that white building.
__________________
Free German passport

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."
Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 03:11 PM   #2377
wolfpaw
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 304
Likes (Received): 116

I love the quiet neo-classical details of the white building, the segmental pediments and angled pediments above the windows and the quoins at the corners. It's beautiful.
wolfpaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 07:06 PM   #2378
SonOfThomp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 290
Likes (Received): 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpaw View Post
I love the quiet neo-classical details of the white building, the segmental pediments and angled pediments above the windows and the quoins at the corners. It's beautiful.
I second that!
SonOfThomp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 07:15 PM   #2379
BG_PATRIOT
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 9,471
Likes (Received): 69

Gorgeous
BG_PATRIOT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 08:08 PM   #2380
Chadoh25
Registered User
 
Chadoh25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Tacoma, Washington
Posts: 8,018
Likes (Received): 805

Looking good!
Chadoh25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, construction updates, dresden, reconstruction, redevelopment, rekonstrucje, rekonstruktion, sachsen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu