daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 16th, 2011, 09:48 AM   #2701
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57899

Oh please... All the poor modernism just sucks. End of discussion. Please go somewhere else or create a new thread if you want to continue it.

This one here is only (and by that I mean ONLY) about the Neumarkt project in Dresden!

(I'll move the unrelated posts soon...)

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Highcliff liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 16th, 2011, 12:50 PM   #2702
mhjo
mhji

Likes (Received): 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
Oh please... All the poor modernism just sucks. End of discussion. Please go somewhere else or create a new thread if you want to continue it.

This one here is only (and by that I mean ONLY) about the Neumarkt project in Dresden!

(I'll move the unrelated posts soon...)
I cannot agree more. If one is not positivly interested in the Neumarkt reconstruction there is nothing to gain by only spreading shit.
mhjo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 06:51 PM   #2703
dlamoureux

Likes (Received): 8

I agree. Stop slamming the modern introductions to Neumarkt. I will say again......At least the same street pattern is used and the buildings are to scale to create a humanistic feel that is needed. The mix of baroque and modern form a beautiful street scape. There are plenty of historical building all around Dresden so you can get that sense of history (even in altstadt). Dresden is turning into a beautiful place to walk around and enjoy the atmosphere in all senses. Perhaps some people prefer an empty lot that stood there for 65 years. Do you think it feasible to reconstruct every building to the standard of 200 years ago? That will never happen. When you go to Dresden, you will be awestruck by what is going on there. The people, the food, the drink, the scenery, the streets, the reconstructions.......Awesome.
dlamoureux no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2011, 06:01 PM   #2704
White Light
Shines in the dark...

Likes (Received): 943

Rampische Straße 31-33

Believe in architecture..........

White Light está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2011, 08:55 PM   #2705
Skymino
Ambrosian User

Likes (Received): 5472

Thanks for the photos, very interesting, I wonder if these ruins will be kept in the rebuilt palace?

Urbanfile Blog - MyFlickr - Milŕn l'era inscě
Skymino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2011, 04:06 PM   #2706
wolfpaw

Likes (Received): 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLAG View Post
I have just witnessed a crime.
Horrible, and insane behaviour. Can you imagine the sort of sub-human mindset that would've thought such actions were acceptable

I actually had to delete the cache of my internet browser after watching it as I didn't want any trace of that video left on my computer.
wolfpaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2011, 04:16 PM   #2707
wolfpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
And who says a city needs a specific "heart" to be viable with obsolete, medieval narrow streets that evoke times in which people thew sewage on streets and pestilence was rampant?

If a city still has such out-of-shape streets, variable length, then fine. Otherwise, it is better to adapt a city to 21st pace. A pace which is FAST, when people move themselves by car, trains, monorails, trams, and don't have time to stare at too detailed buildings and don't care much for what is between their house and workplace as they zip fast on the surface, underground or on some elevates structure.
I'm afraid your attitudes are about 60 years out of date. Where I live, after the war, there were many people who had the same opinions. They wanted to do away with those narrow old streets, to widen roads, to let as many cars into the city as possible, because living in a museum was bad and economically unviable and the future was going to be quite different. Such views have since proven to be wrong. Now the same city is trying to reinstate the same narrow streets that were swept away. Cars are being forced out of the city as much as possible, and clearly as far as a local economy is concerned, many people do want to visit old city centres. People don't want to live in Brutalist high-rise apartment blocks. Modernism only crushes the human spirit and it rarely accomodates it.
Old November 18th, 2011, 05:58 PM   #2708
dlamoureux

Likes (Received): 8

I completely agree with you Wolfpaw.................There is no better feeling in the world when you feel a scense of oneness within your urban environment. Dresden is getting back to that point even with the mix of modern and baroque. I'm happy with it! It's a great feeling when you walk around that town. It gets better every year........
dlamoureux no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2011, 10:12 PM   #2709
SonOfThomp

Likes (Received): 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpaw View Post
I'm afraid your attitudes are about 60 years out of date. Where I live, after the war, there were many people who had the same opinions. They wanted to do away with those narrow old streets, to widen roads, to let as many cars into the city as possible, because living in a museum was bad and economically unviable and the future was going to be quite different. Such views have since proven to be wrong. Now the same city is trying to reinstate the same narrow streets that were swept away. Cars are being forced out of the city as much as possible, and clearly as far as a local economy is concerned, many people do want to visit old city centres. People don't want to live in Brutalist high-rise apartment blocks. Modernism only crushes the human spirit and it rarely accomodates it.
And that should be the end of that!
SonOfThomp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2011, 10:37 PM   #2710
[email protected]
Global Citizen

Likes (Received): 6366

I wish they would also tear down the Kulturpalast. Such an ugly eyesore in the middle of a beautifully restored oldtown.
R@ptor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2011, 12:39 AM   #2711
Varoš

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I wish they would also tear down the Kulturpalast. Such an ugly eyesore in the middle of a beautifully restored oldtown.
I have also suggested that,but they say it is the beautiful building
Varoš no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2011, 01:16 AM   #2712
Mr. America
przestrzeń-ludzie-miasto

Kulturpalast is nice, especially mosaic. But i agree, it doesn't fit to Altstadt
Mr. America no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2011, 07:43 AM   #2713
SoroushPersepolisi

Likes (Received): 5083

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlamoureux
I completely agree with you Wolfpaw.................There is no better feeling in the world when you feel a scense of oneness within your urban environment. Dresden is getting back to that point even with the mix of modern and baroque. I'm happy with it! It's a great feeling when you walk around that town. It gets better every year........

Photodash liked this post
SoroushPersepolisi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2011, 12:25 PM   #2714
ZaMa342

Likes (Received): 28

I enjoy watching the city of Dresden rising in its former beauty, and I don't think, that it's disneyland. I don't mind the replicas of buildings. As it was mentioned - nobody will be able to recognise reconstructions in 150 years, when they get a little bit dirty. I got a problem with the way how they build. Why do we need to pack every single new house into polystyrene in the name of ecology? Does anybody know, how would it look like in 50 years? Does anybody know, how would people be, living their whole lives in plastic boxes? I live in a panel house with plastic windows and new polystyrene facade and I have to put a wet towel on my heater, because the air inside is so dry that I cannot breath without coughing.

More and more scientist, engineers and architects realise that more than 7 cms of any insulation is just wasting. There’s no ecology of „green“ passive houses. Yes, your „passive“ house doesn’t need energy of outside, but can you imagine, how much energy was used to create 30 cms of your polystyrene, your glass solar panels on your roof? That’s just a hoax, just a big, BIG business. Nowadays, we need loads of energy to create insulation materials. Using more energy = growing prices. Then we start „saving“ = using less energy as before. What would energy companies do? Will they reduce their earnings? No! We will have to pay the same money for less energy to keep the profit = the prices will grow. And the insulation saves just energy used to create it – no energy can be created or saved. Just transformed or not transformed.

Do you belive, that the technologies you paid tens of thousands euros for will be still as functional as today in 30 yrs? We know it exactly about bricks, stone, wood and glass… We build traditional way for hudreds of years and somebody wants to change it in 20 years. Do we know, how would look like theese hi-tech houses as they become less maintained or just after 10 hours of blackout?

Why don’t Dresdeners rebuilt their heritage from traditional materials? That stone framing of windows fixed with steel into concrete and than „packed“ with polystyrene makes me laugh…like this. THIS is disneyland. Not the replica of destroyed house

(from bausituation-dresden.com)

ZaMa342 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2011, 04:02 PM   #2715
wolfpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaMa342 View Post
Why don’t Dresdeners rebuilt their heritage from traditional materials?
I agree with what you're saying but the simple fact is that it would never be economically viable to rebuild so many structures using traditional materials and techniques. It would simply be too expensive.
Old November 19th, 2011, 04:23 PM   #2716
White Light
Shines in the dark...

Likes (Received): 943

Quartier VIII

Believe in architecture..........

White Light está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2011, 06:43 PM   #2717
Xorcist

Likes (Received): 407

OMG....these painted windows are just ridiculous...

Xorcist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2011, 07:00 PM   #2718
photolitherland

Likes (Received): 956

When I go to Europe again, I want to first see Rome and then second on the list is Dresden. This reconstruction is absolutely amazing and I want to see it first hand real bad.
photolitherland no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2011, 07:09 PM   #2719
wolfpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorcist View Post
OMG....these painted windows are just ridiculous...
I guess that they're only temporary!
Old November 19th, 2011, 07:55 PM   #2720
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5826

They don't look temporary to me.

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, construction updates, dresden, reconstruction, redevelopment, rekonstrucje, rekonstruktion, sachsen