daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 11th, 2011, 07:22 PM   #2761
socrates#1fan

Likes (Received): 1318

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulpia-Serdica View Post

They could turn it into a library/bookstore like this church in Maastricht. From a house of ignorance, it can be turned into a house of knowledge.

I think it would be wonderful if they could find a congregation to move into such a reconstruction. However, if that cannot be done then I think a library would be an excellent option. Could you imagine reading surrounded by Gothic pillars and statues? It would be a wonderful experience! I don't really care for the modern style of that library, though I really like the idea. If they were to turn the reconstructed church into a library, I'd hope they'd do it following Gothic fashion.

"I don’t know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there."-Kurt Vonnegut

Highcliff liked this post
socrates#1fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 11th, 2011, 07:40 PM   #2762
CF221

Likes (Received): 811

Quote:

They could turn it into a library/bookstore like this church in Maastricht. From a house of ignorance, it can be turned into a house of knowledge.
I think you have to be very knowledgeable or divinely inspired to be able to design and build structures as complex as these churches. Your comment is also completely unecessary.
Old December 12th, 2011, 06:12 PM   #2763
dlamoureux

Likes (Received): 8

Forget the Sophienkirche.......It will never happen. It is just a distant memory now. Just enjoy the old pics of it.
dlamoureux no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2011, 08:13 PM   #2764
gdlrar

Likes (Received): 1403

I like the apartments idea!
gdlrar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2011, 09:51 PM   #2765
socrates#1fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlamoureux View Post
Forget the Sophienkirche.......It will never happen. It is just a distant memory now. Just enjoy the old pics of it.
Didn't they say that about every reconstruction in Dresden?

"I don’t know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there."-Kurt Vonnegut

Photodash liked this post
Old December 13th, 2011, 01:06 AM   #2766
elianzoom

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:

The real ignorance is in the mind of people like this, they´re so far from real knowledge, what is respect for the others, sad really sad !!
elianzoom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2011, 08:28 AM   #2767
Karasek

Likes (Received): 804

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiboko View Post
Who wants to pay for something like this anyway? Does anyone know how much it costs to reconstruct a gothic church (with all the hours of craftmanship in it)?
The Sophienkirche was actually a pretty simple neo-Gothic(!) church. Before the conversion in the late 19th century the church looked like this:

Karasek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2011, 05:13 PM   #2768
TheReconstructer

Likes (Received): 176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karasek View Post
The Sophienkirche was actually a pretty simple neo-Gothic(!) church. Before the conversion in the late 19th century the church looked like this:

And it looked very nice I like both Sophienkirches but I hope they decide to reconstruct this one to. If they can do the Frauenkirche than why not the Sophienkirche?
TheReconstructer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2011, 06:01 PM   #2769
Varoš

Likes (Received): 33

Maybe there is no more money because they have already spent it on the other reconstructions in Dresden.It is better to reconstruct a couple of blocks of town then just one church.And the Frauenkirche is not complicated like Sophienkirche to rebuild,if you know what I mean.
Varoš no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2011, 06:06 PM   #2770
SonOfThomp

Likes (Received): 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varoš View Post
Maybe there is no more money because they have already spent it on the other reconstructions in Dresden.It is better to reconstruct a couple of blocks of town then just one church.And the Frauenkirche is not complicated like Sophienkirche to rebuild,if you know what I mean.
Actually, no - I don't know what you mean, please explain. While I agree with you that it would be better to spend the money elsewhere in the Neumarkt project, the Sophienkirche looks rather LESS structurally complicated than the Frauenkirche.
SonOfThomp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2011, 06:19 PM   #2771
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

To be perfectly honest I think the Sophienkirche would just be a waste of money. Try to invest this money elsewhere in the reconstruction of pre-war apartments and such.

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."

Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2011, 06:43 PM   #2772
cameronpaul
Paris-the city beautiful

Likes (Received): 461

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates#1fan View Post
I think it would be wonderful if they could find a congregation to move into such a reconstruction. However, if that cannot be done then I think a library would be an excellent option. Could you imagine reading surrounded by Gothic pillars and statues? It would be a wonderful experience! I don't really care for the modern style of that library, though I really like the idea. If they were to turn the reconstructed church into a library, I'd hope they'd do it following Gothic fashion.
I agree with your comments. If you are going to create a library within a Gothic style building the least you can do is respect the surroundings but of course so many current architects/designers are so full of their own overblown egos that they would rather create something that is totally inappropriate and create discourse just to make their "mark". Pathetic really. It would be great to see the Sophienkirche rebuilt in the original designs which are not very complicated but I guess there are more pressing requirements in the rebuilding of this beautiful city.

Photodash liked this post
cameronpaul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2011, 12:14 AM   #2773
ZaMa342

Likes (Received): 28

I wouldn't be the happiest, If I saw Sophienkirche reconstructed. I don't consider the neo-gothic building as someting unforgetable, just "common" church like many others. I like the old one, but I don't think it would be possible to reconsturct it as it was - there are no remains of it. And building a gothic church today? No way. You can rebuild facades of baroque houses and create modern interior, using outside just as a theatre for tourists. I don't mind it, but rebuilding a gothic church when we don't know how it exactly looked like and what to use it for, with modern way of building - concrete skelet and gothic pillars of insulation? Betther nothing than this...the spirit of the gothic space is gone forever
Old December 14th, 2011, 01:16 AM   #2774
Sienioslaw
grumpy slav

Likes (Received): 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaMa342 View Post
I wouldn't be the happiest, If I saw Sophienkirche reconstructed. I don't consider the neo-gothic building as someting unforgetable, just "common" church like many others. I like the old one, but I don't think it would be possible to reconsturct it as it was - there are no remains of it. And building a gothic church today? No way. You can rebuild facades of baroque houses and create modern interior, using outside just as a theatre for tourists. I don't mind it, but rebuilding a gothic church when we don't know how it exactly looked like and what to use it for, with modern way of building - concrete skelet and gothic pillars of insulation? Betther nothing than this...the spirit of the gothic space is gone forever
Why not?

Btw. Sad that Germans lost interest in further reconstruction of that church, that roof could be EPIC!

Sienioslaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2011, 03:53 AM   #2775
JohnnyMass
Whatever

Likes (Received): 1493

Interesting...where is it?
Old December 14th, 2011, 11:38 AM   #2776
Karasek

Likes (Received): 804

A few pics from the 60s. Prager Straße:

Stadtschloss:

Neumarkt:

Sophienkirche, Taschenbergpalais, Schloss:

Altmarkt and western part of the old town:

Karasek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2011, 04:18 PM   #2777
Dr.Seltsam
Live in HD

Likes (Received): 3224

Unbelievable!!! A HUGE waste land in the heart of Dresden.
Dr.Seltsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2011, 06:13 PM   #2778
SonOfThomp

Likes (Received): 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karasek View Post

What is the ruined structure in the lower left corner?

SonOfThomp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2011, 07:44 PM   #2779
ZaMa342

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sienioslaw View Post
Why not?

Btw. Sad that Germans lost interest in further reconstruction of that church, that roof could be EPIC!
But this is not complete rebuilding. I have no problem to accept modern roof over gothic ruins, but there's nothing like this left of sophienkirche...In global, I don't mind reconstructions of churches. Moreover, I prefer historical reconstruction rather than modern way, but don't build just look-like replica. Sophienkirche could be reconstructed, but just with usage of traditional materials and traditional ways of building. And I'm sorry, but this is impossible for today... look, how they build Neumarkt
Old December 14th, 2011, 08:21 PM   #2780
socrates#1fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaMa342 View Post
But this is not complete rebuilding. I have no problem to accept modern roof over gothic ruins, but there's nothing like this left of sophienkirche...In global, I don't mind reconstructions of churches. Moreover, I prefer historical reconstruction rather than modern way, but don't build just look-like replica. Sophienkirche could be reconstructed, but just with usage of traditional materials and traditional ways of building. And I'm sorry, but this is impossible for today... look, how they build Neumarkt
Why could it not be built with modern methods? If the building will be just as strong and lasting, and look the same, what difference does it made if it is rebuilt with a steel frame?

I'd rather have a building reconstructed with modern materials and methods than no reconstruction at all. The only thing that is really important is if it is identical to the original and will last centuries.

Highcliff, Photodash liked this post

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, construction updates, dresden, reconstruction, redevelopment, rekonstrucje, rekonstruktion, sachsen