daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 3rd, 2007, 12:08 AM   #261
Ataman
Some user

Likes (Received): 0

I thought you do in Ostrava.

-Ataman
Ataman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 3rd, 2007, 01:36 AM   #262
kokpit
BANNED

Likes (Received): 22

^ you're past master Ataman
Well, they were built in socrealism style, at least they were originals.
kokpit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2007, 01:40 AM   #263
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

These buildings are "originals" in some sense as well. They stood there until they were destroyed in WW2.

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."

Highcliff liked this post
Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2007, 06:06 AM   #264
Alan G.

Likes (Received): 0

Thanks for the new pictures Kampflamm. This project is amazing to me. I hope to get over to see it in the next year ! - Al
Alan G. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2007, 12:37 PM   #265
pflo777
BANNED

Likes (Received): 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataman View Post
I thought you do in Ostrava.

-Ataman
I know, its completeley off topic...but why do you build a structure in a U-Shape, and then orientate neither the streets, nor the landscape to the shape of the buildingt?

I mean that street, that runs throught the building on the left side, is a joke, form an architects point of view....

Or the U-Shape itself ir orientated wrong in the context of the location.....

Somehow the commies had weird town planners...
pflo777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 02:58 AM   #266
intervention
planning inaction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampflamm View Post
What exactly is "chinsy" about it?
The colour scheme, proportions and the bright, thick plastic window frames But like I said, the church is impressive.
intervention no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 03:36 AM   #267
Gummo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Drezno is wonderful
Gummo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2007, 04:28 PM   #268
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Quote:
The colour scheme, proportions and the bright, thick plastic window frames
But that's what these buildings actually looked like before the war.

Quartier III

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."

Old June 10th, 2007, 12:23 PM   #269
Max BGF
Alphaist

Likes (Received): 14859

When this complex of buildings will be finished there hopefully occurs a rethinking regarding urban planning in other cities too
Old June 13th, 2007, 06:49 PM   #270
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max BGF View Post
When this complex of buildings will be finished there hopefully occurs a rethinking regarding urban planning in other cities too
these structures will never be ugly, they are timeless,
but people dont get that, modern architecture is rarely timeless, and is almost always ugly later on. These are the sort of structures we should build, not concrete and tin boxes and say its 'art' .
This is real architecture, the detail shows the confidence of the people in the city, the rich bold history, the fruitfulness of the city,
and what do glass cubes and tin boxes say?... eh, nothing.
Old June 13th, 2007, 06:51 PM   #271
Unionstation13

Quote:
Originally Posted by intervention View Post
The colour scheme, proportions and the bright, thick plastic window frames But like I said, the church is impressive.
so shall we just level it all and put in glass boxes?
these dont look fake, these are timeless designs, cities could learn a thing or two from Dresden. This is real urbanism.
Alot of it has to do with money, I have seen ornate structures constructed in this time for reasonable pricing, it all has to do with being as minimal as possible.
People say its nostalgic, hell no, its just tasteful. After probably 1940, structures became bland, ugly, etc, we just never created our own timeless style, like the ones before us. We just construct minimal crap. This are the sort of things people should live in.
These designs mark a new age of urbanism coming toward us, in which the older fashions will become more and more popular, and modern architecture will verse with older architecture for development.
Modern architecture does not show class, the ornate detail is what shows how much money is put into a structure.

Last edited by Unionstation13; June 13th, 2007 at 07:02 PM.
Unionstation13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2007, 05:29 PM   #272
KoolKeatz
█████████

Likes (Received): 102

I love every single building on the Neumarkt. Thats architecture as it should be.
If i could travel with a timemachine i would travel back to Dessau and put a bomb in the Bauhaus.
KoolKeatz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 01:51 PM   #273
ALESSANDRO
MrBlackMagicHimself

Likes (Received): 523

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionstation13 View Post
these dont look fake, these are timeless designs, cities could learn a thing or two from Dresden. This is real urbanism.
Alot of it has to do with money, I have seen ornate structures constructed in this time for reasonable pricing, it all has to do with being as minimal as possible.
People say its nostalgic, hell no, its just tasteful. After probably 1940, structures became bland, ugly, etc, we just never created our own timeless style, like the ones before us. We just construct minimal crap. This are the sort of things people should live in.
These designs mark a new age of urbanism coming toward us, in which the older fashions will become more and more popular, and modern architecture will verse with older architecture for development.
Modern architecture does not show class, the ornate detail is what shows how much money is put into a structure.
Don't get too exited mate. Not everyone dreams of no-terasse city quartier living. No-balcony way of living. Nowhere to plant the green, nowhere to go for a kip, nowhere to breathe. I agree, city centres are now somewhat short-lived [compared to what there had been 100 years ago and to what goes on in Dresden], but then again - isn't everything? Cars? Computers? Wives? City pace is much faster than it ever used to be. New buildings are built in place of those only built 20 years ago. To show sth new. To encapsulate permanent changes in city life. To show sth new, new trends in architecture, dynamics. Districts changing their roles and character over just a decade. I agree these things are timeless. I agree they are very pretty. But please do not discredit modern architecture especially in German cities [goes for whole EU really]. There are certain feats of beauty, breathtaking places. Diversity is cool.

"Jak przestałem kochać design" Marcina Wichy
- obowiązkowa lektura dla polskich anarchitektów, projektantów wnęk, kierowników wydziałów architortury w magistratach i...
urbanistów, jeśli nauczyli się w swoim kraju j. polskiego. Polecam!

www.miasto2077.pl

twaardy haardy pyycha
ALESSANDRO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2007, 06:13 AM   #274
intervention
planning inaction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionstation13 View Post

OK, relax. I am not saying that historicism and pastiches of historic buildings are bad nor are reconstructions. All I am saying is that the materials used for the blocks of buildings do not appear to mimic what was previously there. If you're going to bother reconstructing something, do it right ...
intervention no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2007, 05:32 PM   #275
Unionstation13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALESSANDRO View Post
Don't get too exited mate. Not everyone dreams of no-terasse city quartier living. No-balcony way of living. Nowhere to plant the green, nowhere to go for a kip, nowhere to breathe. I agree, city centres are now somewhat short-lived [compared to what there had been 100 years ago and to what goes on in Dresden], but then again - isn't everything? Cars? Computers? Wives? City pace is much faster than it ever used to be. New buildings are built in place of those only built 20 years ago. To show sth new. To encapsulate permanent changes in city life. To show sth new, new trends in architecture, dynamics. Districts changing their roles and character over just a decade. I agree these things are timeless. I agree they are very pretty. But please do not discredit modern architecture especially in German cities [goes for whole EU really]. There are certain feats of beauty, breathtaking places. Diversity is cool.

Then add balconies, green roofs, etc.
but today, we seem to have lacked to create our own timeless style,
structures past 1940 became ugly shortly after, and the same will happen with our era of modern architecture untill we find our own timeless style.
Just because its a new time, doesent mean we should knock down these old structures, but we must advance, and we should bring the architecture, buildings with us.
Old June 18th, 2007, 05:34 PM   #276
Unionstation13

Quote:
Originally Posted by intervention View Post
OK, relax. I am not saying that historicism and pastiches of historic buildings are bad nor are reconstructions. All I am saying is that the materials used for the blocks of buildings do not appear to mimic what was previously there. If you're going to bother reconstructing something, do it right ...

they are new, the buildings that are 200 years old now, were probably fresh and new looking too, and dident look old, settled into the foundations, worn, etc. In 100 years, these structures will look as old as structures in Paris or London.
Old June 18th, 2007, 05:50 PM   #277
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Excavation work for the "British Hotel"

Quartier III

An der Frauenkirche 16/17

Quartier VI

Could look like this:

Last edited by Kampflamm; June 18th, 2007 at 10:55 PM.
Old June 18th, 2007, 05:58 PM   #278
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Some general shots.

All of these buildings (except the one behind the Frauenkirche to the left) weren't there a couple of years ago:

Old June 18th, 2007, 06:19 PM   #279
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Some more shots for your viewing pleasure.

Frauenkirche and Academy of Arts. The left building on the left is the Cosel Palais which was reconstructed in the 90s as well:

Today

Zwinger Palace

By the Elbe river

Semper Opera

Old June 18th, 2007, 10:29 PM   #280
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Quick reminder about Quartier III

This area:

will look like this:

While this area:

will look like this:

The entire Neumarkt before 1945

Last edited by Kampflamm; June 18th, 2007 at 10:58 PM.

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, construction updates, dresden, reconstruction, redevelopment, rekonstrucje, rekonstruktion, sachsen