daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 14th, 2012, 12:05 AM   #2841
Wolfranz
Seine Durchlaucht

Likes (Received): 608

Quote:
Originally Posted by elianzoom View Post
I really think that the problem here in Dresde and in many places where rehabilitation proyects are going on is the fact that you really don`t need to create a reintrepretation , not in the city center of the European cities. You already have the way to do things, just reconstruc the building as it was, but when an architecture studio gets a proyect like this tend to transform the thing by their own vision put their own footprint, and this is not way. You can make reinterpretation in other parts of the city but not in the center where the grid and style was very clear. European cities should be reconstruc by the age of it“s buildings usually that is patern is by rings oldest in the center. Just my opinion.
I agree. The problem is, if a building wasn't pre-documented or there aren't even photographs prior to its destruction, it would a become a guessing game. Thus architects try to fill the gaps with their own interpretations.
Wolfranz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 16th, 2012, 03:39 PM   #2842
elianzoom

Likes (Received): 0

But looking for example the new Frankfurt römer reconstructión you see there is plenty of images streetmaps and documentation, but even in this case you should allow that architectures studios to make a proyect that doesn“t reconstruc at least the front side of the house as it was in 1944. There is even a virtual view of all the medieval town. So whats in the mind of the people who plans the city ??? It will be another Lost Oportunity like it was to build the monster of the technishe rathaus and the back side of the Historic Museum instead of reconstruc this jewel part of that beautifull city.
elianzoom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2012, 07:46 PM   #2843
tommolo

Likes (Received): 3596

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfranz View Post
What's happening in Dresden now cannot be labelled as Neo-Traditionalist since the construction methods are 21st Century. It cannot also fit the term Neo-Neoclassical since designs are not in the strict classical language (as opposed to the Neoclassical Period), but from various motifs taken from historic styles. I'll vote for Neo-Revival or Neo-Romanticism because what's happening now is very similar to what happened in the Romantic Period in art.
What about "Neo trad"?

Highcliff liked this post
tommolo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2012, 07:01 PM   #2844
Jortex

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommolo View Post
What about "Neo trad"?
In a destroyed historic spaces we've got four types of architecture:

modern creation - material: steel, glass, beton - new buildings are based on modern architecture and are absolutely different towards former historical objects, which was in the same place.

traditional creation - material: wood, brick, stone - new buildings are based on strict traditional architecture (for ex: "Radical Classicism" like Quinlan Terry) and are different towards former historical objects, which was in the same place.

reconstruction - the majority of Dresden's Neumarkt - reconstructed historical objects - the same as it looks in the past.

"retroversion" - some "gaps" in Desden's Neumarkt: postmodern architecture - traditional solid but modern detail or traditional detail - but used in a non-historical manner.

Last edited by Jortex; January 29th, 2012 at 11:31 PM.
Jortex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2012, 08:49 PM   #2845
SonOfThomp

Likes (Received): 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfranz View Post
I agree. The problem is, if a building wasn't pre-documented or there aren't even photographs prior to its destruction, it would a become a guessing game. Thus architects try to fill the gaps with their own interpretations.
That is not the case regarding the Neumarkt, though. And filling the gaps with non-traditional structures is detrimental to the overall aesthetic. "We lost the cello part for this obscure baroque concerto, so we'll just insert a saxophone"
SonOfThomp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 12:12 PM   #2846
mhjo
mhji

Likes (Received): 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfThomp View Post
That is not the case regarding the Neumarkt, though. And filling the gaps with non-traditional structures is detrimental to the overall aesthetic. "We lost the cello part for this obscure baroque concerto, so we'll just insert a saxophone"

You mean synthesizer?
mhjo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 06:57 PM   #2847
SonOfThomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhjo View Post
You mean synthesizer?
Or worse.
Old January 24th, 2012, 02:48 AM   #2848
leperd
lilium inter spinas

Likes (Received): 998

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfThomp View Post
this comparison with music is meaningless.

compare a concerto with one building: perhaps. But it's several street blocks we're talking here.
leperd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2012, 05:33 PM   #2849
SonOfThomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by leperd View Post
this comparison with music is meaningless.

compare a concerto with one building: perhaps. But it's several street blocks we're talking here.
The block(s) are the concerto. The buildings are the instruments.

I've said this a dozen times, but I will say it again: it makes no good sense to go to the effort and expense of reconstructing the Neumarkt, only to randomly place a modernist/non-traditional structure in between the historical facades. It is aesthetically inappropriate, and with all the other construction going on around Dresden, there are plenty of avenues for the modernists to have their fun, too. Why diluting the overall project with parts that really don't fit, when they would be fine elsewhere?
Old January 24th, 2012, 06:19 PM   #2850
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57899

^ Totally agree to that. Modernists are like dogs, they have to take their dump everywhere.

I mean, imagine it the other way around: A city plans a huge, state of the art, glass & steel modern quarter.
Now some traditionalists jump in and say - hey, we want a baroque palace in between! Seriously, WTF?

It just doesn't work together, either way around. People should finally realize that.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2012, 11:02 PM   #2851
Judge Roy Beam

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
^ Totally agree to that. Modernists are like dogs, they have to take their dump everywhere.

I mean, imagine it the other way around: A city plans a huge, state of the art, glass & steel modern quarter.
Now some traditionalists jump in and say - hey, we want a baroque palace in between! Seriously, WTF?

It just doesn't work together, either way around. People should finally realize that.
Well said in both instances.
Judge Roy Beam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2012, 07:12 AM   #2852
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4202

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post

Exactly this happened in Frankfurt with the Turn and Taxis Palais. Not that I mind but just saying.

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2012, 01:09 PM   #2853
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

The palace was there before though and they managed to salvage some of it after the war.

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."

Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2012, 01:45 PM   #2854
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Source: http://www.bausituation-dresden.com/

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."

Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2012, 09:02 PM   #2855
SonOfThomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampflamm View Post
I can't get over how ugly that thing on the corner is. Silly, silly mistake.
Old January 26th, 2012, 10:02 PM   #2856
henrique42

Likes (Received): 1

ugly is something else. maybe it's unpretentious, or unremarkable, but not ugly.
henrique42 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2012, 11:03 PM   #2857
milkyy

Likes (Received): 1

The corner building sticks out like a sore thumb, really...
milkyy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2012, 12:08 AM   #2858
Skymino
Ambrosian User

Likes (Received): 5472

I love it... as quite all the new building, fit perfectly with the "older". I'm very exited for this mega-reconstruction

Urbanfile Blog - MyFlickr - Miląn l'era inscģ

Skymino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2012, 03:37 AM   #2859
Judge Roy Beam

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrique42 View Post
ugly is something else. maybe it's unpretentious, or unremarkable, but not ugly.
It's ugly.
Judge Roy Beam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2012, 03:57 AM   #2860
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

I'm for a 100% reconstruction and I usually hate all the modernist facades...
BUT I wouldn't call that corner building ugly at all. I actually quite like it. I like how the colors (white, red, gold,green/grey) work together and those gold parts have (depending on the light) a beautiful shine.
And you guys have to agree, that the facade is actually not much simpler than the adjacent renaissance facades.
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, construction updates, dresden, reconstruction, redevelopment, rekonstrucje, rekonstruktion, sachsen