daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 16th, 2012, 09:30 PM   #3061
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57899

It makes a slightly gaudy impression, just as the Kaiserpalast or similar opulent historicist buildings do.

But still, it's impressive, a great heritage of its time and a lot more interesting than most of all the bland modernist boxes.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Highcliff liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 16th, 2012, 10:49 PM   #3062
TheReconstructer

Likes (Received): 176

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
It makes a slightly gaudy impression, just as the Kaiserpalast or similar opulent historicist buildings do.

But still, it's impressive, a great heritage of its time and a lot more interesting than most of all the bland modernist boxes.
I really hope that they'll reconstruct the Kaiserpalast. And indeed, more interesting then the modernist buildings around the Neumarkt.

The only streets and places which really annoy me in Dresden are the Altmarkt, the Wildruffer Straße and the Neustadter Markt. Hope that they will start some day with the rebuilding of the Neustadtischer Rathaus and surrounding houses.

I think that the Altmarkt is a bit of 'lost'. I mean, I love the pictures of the Altmarkt before war, with all the houses and the Altstadtischer Rathaus. That lego buildings that architects planted there are really a pain in the eye.

Wish they could rebuild the Altstadischer Rathaus (at the left)

TheReconstructer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 11:05 PM   #3063
erbse
LIBERTINED

I actually adore the Stalinist historicist Altmarkt buildings of the 50s. They somehow make up a bit for the loss of older structures there. But indeed, the modern additions since the 90s are... questionable at least.

The only thing that really annoys me in the area is the Kulturpalast, as it fails to adapt in any way. There would have been fantastic solutions to integrate it though...

Concept by Hans Kollhoff:

Source & more: http://www.neumarkt-dresden.de/Kultu...-Chemnitz.html

Last edited by erbse; May 16th, 2012 at 11:15 PM.
Old May 17th, 2012, 12:52 PM   #3064
TheReconstructer

Likes (Received): 176

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
I actually adore the Stalinist historicist Altmarkt buildings of the 50s. They somehow make up a bit for the loss of older structures there. But indeed, the modern additions since the 90s are... questionable at least.

The only thing that really annoys me in the area is the Kulturpalast, as it fails to adapt in any way. There would have been fantastic solutions to integrate it though...
Oops, forgot to say I didn't mind the Stalinist buildings :S

I think it was better if they builded some reconstructions/rebuildings at the southern part of the Altmarkt, so the plaza would've looked much better.
But now I think that the architects of the lego buildings were a bit uninspired......
TheReconstructer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2012, 01:00 PM   #3065
aarhusforever
EU citizen

Likes (Received): 9117

+1

Aarhus - the second largest city in Denmark

Aarhus...my Aarhus

aarhusforever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 09:05 PM   #3066
WhiteMagick
Moderator - Επιτηρητής

The Kaiserpalast is gorgeous. The Zentraltheater is very nice too but that huge head at the top might be...a bit over the top.

如果希腊国民继续信阴谋论,外资救世主的,不为自己的行为负责, 他们会灭亡。

人は何かの犠牲なしに何も得ることはできない。何かを得るためには同等の代価が必要になる。それが、生活における等価交換の原則だ。その頃僕らは、それが世界の真実だと信じていた。時間は、最も貴重な資源である。だから、誰の時間もあなたは無駄にしてはいけないし、誰もが他の人の時間を無駄にしないでください。
WhiteMagick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2012, 06:27 PM   #3067
william of waco

Likes (Received): 258

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMagick View Post
The Zentraltheater is very nice too but that huge head at the top might be...a bit over the top.
"There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion." - Francis Bacon
william of waco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2012, 10:17 PM   #3068
SonOfThomp

Likes (Received): 226

SonOfThomp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 01:22 PM   #3069
schum-ho
HALLEluja!

Likes (Received): 21

What are you trying to say/imply?

Anyway - I love what is happening in Dresden. What a beautiful reconstruction project.
Not everything is perfect but I would still reckon it as a leading initiative to bring back the beauty to European old towns.
schum-ho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 04:56 PM   #3070
SonOfThomp

Likes (Received): 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by schum-ho View Post
What are you trying to say/imply?
Um, well......I think you got it! But just in case: each building is worse than the one preceding it. And yes, the newest one looks like it's made of Legos.

In the last photo, the building barely visible on the left demonstrates that architectural blunders aren't a new phenomenon. That thing is so out of place!
SonOfThomp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2012, 10:23 PM   #3071
JMNostalgia
Nostalgia

Likes (Received): 23

I love this project, what they are doing in Dresden is very admirable. Although some people consider it 'Disney' or re-creating the past, I think the people of Dresden have a right to rebuild their beautiful city considering the destruction of it was beyond their control and was pointless cultural vandalism with no real purpose.

My blog: http://medieval-london.blogspot.co.uk/

interesting blog I thought I would share about a reconstruction project - http://theeustonarch.blogspot.co.uk/

Last edited by JMNostalgia; September 21st, 2012 at 09:47 PM.
JMNostalgia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2012, 09:56 PM   #3072
WhiteMagick
Moderator - Επιτηρητής

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfThomp View Post
Um, well......I think you got it! But just in case: each building is worse than the one preceding it. And yes, the newest one looks like it's made of Legos.

In the last photo, the building barely visible on the left demonstrates that architectural blunders aren't a new phenomenon. That thing is so out of place!
+1 The new building is an eyesore.

如果希腊国民继续信阴谋论,外资救世主的,不为自己的行为负责, 他们会灭亡。

人は何かの犠牲なしに何も得ることはできない。何かを得るためには同等の代価が必要になる。それが、生活における等価交換の原則だ。その頃僕らは、それが世界の真実だと信じていた。時間は、最も貴重な資源である。だから、誰の時間もあなたは無駄にしてはいけないし、誰もが他の人の時間を無駄にしないでください。
WhiteMagick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2012, 11:02 PM   #3073
Piltup Man

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMNostalgia View Post
I love this project, what they are doing in Dresden is very admirable. Although some people consider it 'Disney' or re-creating the past, I think the people of Dresden have a right to rebuild their beautiful city considering the destruction of it was beyond their control and was pointless cultural vandalism with no real purpose.
My blog: http://medieval-london.blogspot.co.uk/
I quite agree, and I wouldn't even call it "re-creating the past". It's rebuilding what had been there for centuries and is no more than re-appropriating what should be their present architectural heritage, if the bombing raids hadn't taken place.

I wish more European cities were as determined as Dresden in reclaiming their lost heritage, although realistically it isn't that easy of course.
Piltup Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2012, 04:43 PM   #3074
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Source: http://www.bausituation-dresden.com/

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."

Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2012, 02:50 AM   #3075
dbmillbank

Likes (Received): 1

thanks Kampflamm

Are you lucky enough to live in Dresden? I really need to get back to see the city.

Most of that modern dreck, just looks like the developer ran out of money. As long as the proportions are as the original building - they can always demo the shell and rebuild it to what it should have been.
dbmillbank no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2012, 05:55 PM   #3076
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmillbank View Post
Are you lucky enough to live in Dresden? I really need to get back to see the city.
I wish. The pics are taken from a great blog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmillbank View Post
Most of that modern dreck, just looks like the developer ran out of money. As long as the proportions are as the original building - they can always demo the shell and rebuild it to what it should have been.
I think most of the modern buildings are okish. Maybe 20 years down the road we can add some ornaments to the facades and make them look better. Right now I'm just happy about the return of these small alleys to Dresden's inner city.

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."

Last edited by Kampflamm; June 18th, 2012 at 06:12 PM.
Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2012, 06:11 PM   #3077
erbse
LIBERTINED

Indeed, the biggest gain here is the new urbanity of central Dresden, all the nice architecture aside.

Old June 19th, 2012, 01:35 AM   #3078
JohnnyMass
Whatever

Likes (Received): 1493

Lowenhof will look much better once the trees get bigger! Love the small corner dome, too bad it isn't sheathed in copper though.
Old June 28th, 2012, 03:25 PM   #3079
ArchitectCS

Likes (Received): 1

Has more work been done on Rampische Straße yet? That building on the end was, in my opinion, one of the nicest in Dresden and the ensemble it created with the two adjacent streets was incredible.
ArchitectCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2012, 02:08 AM   #3080
erbse
LIBERTINED

It's under way now. They're working on the foundations.

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, construction updates, dresden, reconstruction, redevelopment, rekonstrucje, rekonstruktion, sachsen