daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 25th, 2012, 12:37 PM   #3381
sergionni

Likes (Received): 443

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Roy Beam View Post

Because Dresden is making an effort to restore it's former beauty.
former beauty is not only what existed till 1941, and the world didnt die in that year, so there is also beauty developed after 1945, that also belongs to the history and you can not ignore its presence. if u asked me dresden tryed to restore its beauty and it is partly succeding in doing. so, to you capital of brasil is one hell ugly city?

Sponsored Links
Old November 25th, 2012, 12:45 PM   #3382
Ingwaeone
BANNED

Likes (Received): 983

To everyone.

Photodash liked this post
Ingwaeone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2012, 09:58 PM   #3383
Plaudit

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
Hard to imagine, but we had to fight against this barbarism like lions. I myself was strolling around Neumarkt, handing out flyers against the Gewandhaus. I joined several commission sessions with some FDP folks to prevent this crap. Luckily we succeeded.
Thanks.
Plaudit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2012, 01:15 AM   #3384
sergionni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwaeone View Post
To everyone.
great most of the ones that i know love it, and they live in it.
Old November 26th, 2012, 04:44 AM   #3385
Judge Roy Beam

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergionni View Post
former beauty is not only what existed till 1941, and the world didnt die in that year, so there is also beauty developed after 1945, that also belongs to the history and you can not ignore its presence.
Puh-lease.

It's pretty much a given that by and large, the staggering banality of postwar German architecture is surpassed only by it's sometimes over-the-top ugliness.

Quote:
so, to you capital of brasil is one hell ugly city?
Apples and oranges.

Last edited by Judge Roy Beam; November 26th, 2012 at 04:50 AM.
Judge Roy Beam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2012, 10:01 AM   #3386
sergionni

Quote:
Puh-lease.

It's pretty much a given that by and large, the staggering banality of postwar German architecture is surpassed only by it's sometimes over-the-top ugliness.

Apples and oranges.

excuse me, why such frustration? i am architect that works with similar problems and similar kind or reconstructions/restorations and i understand the need of regaining the historical centre, but why no chance that someone thinks in some different way than you do on some issues? anyhow, if such opinion about kulturpalast exist why this building was not destroyed by now? you should think twice
Old November 26th, 2012, 10:30 AM   #3387
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57844

The Kulturpalast wasn't demolished because most governing Dresden politicans are some utter nutcases.

The Gestaltungskommission (a commitee controlling the designs of the Neumarkt buildings) even prevented some reconstructions or decided for really bad modernist designs instead of good and creative ones. Should tell you much about the issues of the city and this area.

The Neumarkt actually is a wonder, given the circumstances.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Highcliff, Photodash liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2012, 07:12 PM   #3388
TheReconstructer

Likes (Received): 176

Quote:
The Kulturpalast wasn't demolished because most governing Dresden politicans are some utter nutcases.

The Gestaltungskommission (a commitee controlling the designs of the Neumarkt buildings) even prevented some reconstructions or decided for really bad modernist designs instead of good and creative ones. Should tell you much about the issues of the city and this area.

The Neumarkt actually is a wonder, given the circumstances.
Could you perhaps show a few of these reconstruction/modernist designs if they're available on the internet?

Old November 27th, 2012, 11:13 AM   #3389
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57844

Frankly I don't have the time for such research, but you may find examples in earlier pages.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Highcliff liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 05:12 PM   #3390
TheReconstructer

Likes (Received): 176

Thanks for the info

Old November 27th, 2012, 08:30 PM   #3391
Judge Roy Beam

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReconstructer View Post
Could you perhaps show a few of these reconstruction/modernist designs if they're available on the internet?

He's referring to canine droppings such as these...

Highcliff, Photodash liked this post
Judge Roy Beam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2012, 12:06 AM   #3392
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5821

Actually, I like the Löwenhof. I even like the distorted ugly small "in-between" building as well. It is a strong reference to what was there before in "good-old" Dresden which was small, poor and "in-between" as well.

The first three pictures are examples of bland modern architecture, well the first building is quite ok, but its ground floor cladding is crap.
Old November 28th, 2012, 12:44 AM   #3393
Dmerdude

Likes (Received): 1770

Quote:
Originally Posted by Го́голь View Post
It seems I cried too early. The "Baroquified" Kulturpalast plan is gone, and the tranformation is now actually going to be quite tasteful:

[IMG]http://i49.************/350qz5z.jpg[/IMG]
Looks like a small crappy suburban mall and office building.
Dmerdude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2012, 07:39 PM   #3394
Piltup Man

Likes (Received): 52

What is the Kulturpalast used for nowadays? Anyway I just had a look at it on Google Earth and its physical situation and style ruins the surrounding area. I think that tearing it down and rebuilding what was there before should be done straightaway. Surely Germany has enough examples of this kind of post-war architecture that it would not be any loss whatsoever.

I will also say that it would at first seem difficult to make a building of this style like this look any worse, but that thing that the architect plonked on its roof manages just that.
Piltup Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2012, 09:35 PM   #3395
Saxonia

Likes (Received): 7397

At the moment the Kulturpalast is empty. Until now they threw out the furniture and thats it. The financing has not been cleared yet by the city council. So it could stay a long time at this unused status.
Saxonia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2012, 09:56 PM   #3396
Го́голь

Likes (Received): 793

Quote:
The Gestaltungskommission (a commitee controlling the designs of the Neumarkt buildings) even prevented some reconstructions or decided for really bad modernist designs instead of good and creative ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post
The first three pictures are examples of bland modern architecture, well the first building is quite ok, but its ground floor cladding is crap.
The term "modernist architecture" is misused in this thread for just bad architecture. Most of those buildings posted have as much to do with modernism as they have to do with Baroque.
Го́голь no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2012, 01:51 AM   #3397
JohnnyMass
Whatever

Likes (Received): 1493

Modern, or current, architecture would be a better term. Modernist architecture, or style, has created some of the world's most beautiful structures.
Old November 29th, 2012, 02:12 AM   #3398
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1676

An important, basic concept in urban planning is how the overall plan/look integrates with each piece. Whether the overall plan is to recreate baroque appearances from former times or build contemporary glass and steel unornamented structures, they must fit harmoniously with the surrounding structures. The Kulturpalast in its original form probably worked when it was surrounded generally by rubble and a vision of a more contemporary-looking Neumarkt in Dresden. However, time has passed the Kulturpalast by. No matter how anyone attempts to remake the building, it will end up like lipstick on a pig in the enviromment it now sits.

The original architect's lawsuit was a pitiful exercise in ego and utter self-pride that unfortunately works out well in most western nations' courts. He got paid, he got his building when it was commissioned...and that was over years ago. That he was able to claim eternal ownership over something he sold is nonsense.
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2012, 02:20 AM   #3399
keepthepast

Quote:
former beauty is not only what existed till 1941, and the world didnt die in that year, so there is also beauty developed after 1945, that also belongs to the history and you can not ignore its presence. if u asked me dresden tryed to restore its beauty and it is partly succeding in doing. so, to you capital of brasil is one hell ugly city?
Your point is well taken, in part. The problem however is that we are dealing with post war construction that was not, in general, created with artistic design concepts in mind. Rather, the goals were speed and efficiencey. Those goals produce shelters from the elements, not prized architectural landmarks.

I think it's smart and worthwhile to admit mistakes and if affordable, correct them. The Kulturpalast is not a building that people gaze at in awe for its beauty and harmony with its surroundings. It performed a function, but not an artistic and integrated visual appeal. Too bad it will remain. The fixes being offered are in no way approaching a point of making it work for the area.
Old November 29th, 2012, 02:33 AM   #3400
keepthepast

Quote:
He's referring to canine droppings such as these...
Generally agree, however, these "modernized-baroque" designs are at least in keeping with the size, dimensions, and general proportion/theme of the originals and area. I would think it a huge win if we had such buildings replace the Kulturpalast.

Last edited by erbse; November 29th, 2012 at 09:12 AM.

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, construction updates, dresden, reconstruction, redevelopment, rekonstrucje, rekonstruktion, sachsen