daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 7th, 2013, 02:19 PM   #3481
GhostOfDorian
Smartshitter

Likes (Received): 5959

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
^
Why do you say never? I bet back in 1980 they would have never even guess the Freincurch or however its spelled would get rebuilt let alone all of the reconstructions happening now. Who says more of the city wont be rebuilt?
I didn't say that no more of old Dresden will be rebuilt. I said that most of prewar Dresden will never be rebuilt. You only have to look on Google Earth to find out how huge the area is, which was destroit. Most of the buildings have been out of the Belle Epoque. They won't come back. Also in the USA nobody thinks about the reconstruction of lost Belle Epoque buildings like Singer Building or Pennsylvania Station. And those two have been major examples of their time.

For Dresden it already will bee a strenuous effort to restore the former blocks with modern architecture in the areas surrounding the historical center. There are no tenants, who like to pay an extra rent to live in reconstructed Belle Epoque buildings. But there are a lot of people who pay cheap rent in those long buildings in a line, with a lot of green and right next to downtown. It will be quite hard to get them out of their appartments to tear them down for a denser architecture.
GhostOfDorian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 8th, 2013, 12:05 AM   #3482
photolitherland

Likes (Received): 956

^
Well, the destruction of Penn Station and the Singer building were horrible horrible losses. Although, with the destruction of Penn Station it helped spur the modern preservation movement in NYC and the US and helped save countless thousands of buildings and historic districts. Unfortunately, here in the states, well especially here in Houston, we are destroying our history with no abandon. People dont value history in the US because you have a large majority of the country living in shit soulless vapid suburbia.

NUMERATZI, erbse, rychlik, SonOfThomp, Jo and 1 others liked this post
photolitherland no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 07:57 PM   #3483
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1677

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
^
Well, the destruction of Penn Station and the Singer building were horrible horrible losses. Although, with the destruction of Penn Station it helped spur the modern preservation movement in NYC and the US and helped save countless thousands of buildings and historic districts. Unfortunately, here in the states, well especially here in Houston, we are destroying our history with no abandon. People dont value history in the US because you have a large majority of the country living in shit soulless vapid suburbia.
some suburbs are souless, others are not. Many have effectively taken over the cuture where the urban lifestyle has degenerated into filth, crime, poverty, and fear. Houston is not a good example of U.S. average lifestyle, and the percent of population in suburbs is about 52%...not a large majority.

Like Europe after WWII, the U.S. has struggled with balancing the dire need for expanded and improved infrastructure and buildings to serve huge population growths with the desire/need to retain historical buildings. We actually owe a debt of gratitude to the suburbs because without such urban expansion, the inner cities would have been more devastated and plundered of their late 19th/early 20th century buildings in order to accomodate the populations in mega high rise concrete block complexes.
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2013, 06:28 PM   #3484
durden5573

Likes (Received): 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by storms991 View Post
For all those who doubt whether these buildings are considered 'real', the paradox of the ship of Theseus has provided a framework to ponder the question for millenia!

Regardless, the story of Dresden over the past few years is beautiful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus
Very interesting, thanks for sharing this.
durden5573 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2013, 07:15 PM   #3485
trancemaster

Likes (Received): 1

kulturpalast will be demolished? becaose is an eyesore see it in the central square..
trancemaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 12:16 AM   #3486
SonOfThomp

Likes (Received): 226

I wonder how the inhabitants of Prague's Old Town feel about living in outdated, cramped old buildings.
SonOfThomp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 12:38 AM   #3487
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5826

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfThomp View Post
I wonder how the inhabitants of Prague's Old Town feel about living in outdated, cramped old buildings.
I doubt the heart of old town has a lot of residents, has it? But "outdated, cramped old buildings" can be wonderful charming residences with all modern comfort. They are usually rather expensive if well maintained.

And then you have 19th century blocks. They are having a more spacious feel than many modern buildings because of their heigh ceilings. If they are well maintained they are very popular choices and achieve higher prices than new buildings in similar locations, at least in Vienna (where they are omnipresent in all dense parts, ie a substantial share of the entire city)
Old February 14th, 2013, 03:47 PM   #3488
Plaudit

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
They regret that Prague has not been destroyed by bombers as Dresden. We could have modernist boxes everywhere like in Austin. Fortunately at least several buildings were destroyed even in Prague during Dresden bombing campaign (allegedly by pilot's mistake) so several glass boxes now decorate outdated city center.

Last edited by Plaudit; February 14th, 2013 at 05:19 PM.
Plaudit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 03:48 PM   #3489
Plaudit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post
I doubt the heart of old town has a lot of residents, has it? But "outdated, cramped old buildings" can be wonderful charming residences with all modern comfort. They are usually rather expensive if well maintained.

And then you have 19th century blocks. They are having a more spacious feel than many modern buildings because of their heigh ceilings. If they are well maintained they are very popular choices and achieve higher prices than new buildings in similar locations, at least in Vienna (where they are omnipresent in all dense parts, ie a substantial share of the entire city)
Exactly.
Old February 14th, 2013, 08:08 PM   #3490
SonOfThomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaudit View Post
They regret that Prague has not been destroyed by bombers as Dresden. We could have modernist boxes everywhere like in Austin. Fortunately at least several buildings were destroyed even in Prague during Dresden bombing campaign (allegedly by pilot's mistake) so several glass boxes now decorate outdated city center.
Yeah, but you got "Fred and Ginger" out of the deal, right? I recall that the American crewman who made the error resulting in the bombing of Prague had been born there.

Just to be clear: I was being sarcastic when I referred to Prague's Old Town being "outdated". I think it is a most beautiful city, and I am not at all fond of "glass box" architecture, and state my opinion on that subject regularly on this thread. It has been mentioned here (more than once) that Europeans generally appreciated the clearing out of old towns, since the old quarters were filled with narrow streets and cramped, rotting old buildings. And I asked then, to no response, that if so, why is Prague not considered a bad place to live? It is a rhetorical question, since the answer is obvious ...

Regarding 19th Century architecture, who wouldn't want a flat on the SE corner of Moritz-Strasse and König-Johann-Strasse:

http://grafikliebhaber.de/tycon/pic....t=1024&width=0

rychlik, Highcliff liked this post

Last edited by SonOfThomp; February 14th, 2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old February 14th, 2013, 11:02 PM   #3491
Plaudit

Quote:
Yeah, but you got "Fred and Ginger" out of the deal, right? I recall that the American crewman who made the error resulting in the bombing of Prague had been born there.

Just to be clear: I was being sarcastic when I referred to Prague's Old Town being "outdated". I think it is a most beautiful city, and I am not at all fond of "glass box" architecture, and state my opinion on that subject regularly on this thread. It has been mentioned here (more than once) that Europeans generally appreciated the clearing out of old towns, since the old quarters were filled with narrow streets and cramped, rotting old buildings. And I asked then, to no response, that if so, why is Prague not considered a bad place to live? It is a rhetorical question, since the answer is obvious ...

Regarding 19th Century architecture, who wouldn't want a flat on the SE corner of Moritz-Strasse and König-Johann-Strasse:

http://grafikliebhaber.de/tycon/pic....t=1024&width=0

Well, a big part of Prague's old town was demolished too at the end of the 19th century. But it was highly controversial even then, many people opposed it while others supported it. Luckily the demolished buildings were at least replaced before modernism started to rule so that part of the city has similar atmosphere today as that corner of Moritz-Strasse and König-Johann-Strasse. It would be a catastrophe if it was built later. BTW, this is recently opened new building of faculty of architecture in Prague:
http://www.facility-management.cz/co...ryza12miliardy
You can easily imagine what kind of architects it will probably produce. I would commit suicide in such gloomy concrete bunker yet according to chief of Czech chamber of architects "the building is outstanding and students will finaly be in the creative environment".

erbse, Highcliff, Photodash liked this post

Last edited by Plaudit; February 14th, 2013 at 11:08 PM.
Old February 15th, 2013, 01:10 AM   #3492
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18268

cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2013, 04:24 PM   #3493
SonOfThomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaudit View Post
Well, a big part of Prague's old town was demolished too at the end of the 19th century. But it was highly controversial even then, many people opposed it while others supported it. Luckily the demolished buildings were at least replaced before modernism started to rule so that part of the city has similar atmosphere today as that corner of Moritz-Strasse and König-Johann-Strasse.
The Old Jewish Quarter was the area demolished, was it not?

I'm sorry about the new architecture facility in Prague. We have buildings in Austin that were built in the 1970s that are similarly 'creative'.
Old February 17th, 2013, 09:47 PM   #3494
Plaudit

Quote:
The Old Jewish Quarter was the area demolished, was it not?
Yes, it was.

Quote:
I'm sorry about the new architecture facility in Prague. We have buildings in Austin that were built in the 1970s that are similarly 'creative'.
Sadly they are almost everywhere.
Old March 1st, 2013, 05:59 PM   #3495
Steve Gatlin

Likes (Received): 20

de funiak

Hi! This is my first post on this thread. I will be in Dresden for the first time in May. I found this thread while searching for info about the rebuilding of the city. I have looked this over thoroughly and feel that I've received a good education regarding the construction of the last decade. I want to thank all who have contributed to this thread. The questions that come to me now: Is the kopfbau on Rampische Strasse the only construction happening at the present time? Are other projects to start soon (i.e., will I see buildings going up when I'm there in May)?

erbse liked this post
Steve Gatlin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2013, 08:48 PM   #3496
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1677

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Gatlin View Post
Hi! This is my first post on this thread. I will be in Dresden for the first time in May. I found this thread while searching for info about the rebuilding of the city. I have looked this over thoroughly and feel that I've received a good education regarding the construction of the last decade. I want to thank all who have contributed to this thread. The questions that come to me now: Is the kopfbau on Rampische Strasse the only construction happening at the present time? Are other projects to start soon (i.e., will I see buildings going up when I'm there in May)?
yes, the kopfbau is the last if the Rampische Str projects to be completed and it is in its final stages. it's target completion, last I read, was this coming summer.

Several other quarters of neumarkt area are under construction so you'll see much activity. Plus, there are building projects all over Dresden beyond the Neumarkt that are worth seeing for sure.
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2013, 01:34 PM   #3497
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57899

Steve: Welcome! For most of the current projects, you'll find photos and adresses on this blog:
http://www.bausituation-dresden.com/

Prost and enjoy Dresden!

You're also very welcome to come to the Dresden forum and ask for advice there: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1499813

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Highcliff liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2013, 10:58 PM   #3498
Steve Gatlin

Likes (Received): 20

Thank you for the information, erbse. I also want to say how much I appreciate your (and others) efforts to stop the building of that hideous Gewandhaus on the Neumarkt! It would have been like dropping a turd in the punchbowl.

erbse liked this post
Steve Gatlin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2013, 10:58 PM   #3499
SonOfThomp

Updated photos of the Rampische-Straße kopfbau:

http://www.bausituation-dresden.com/
Old March 8th, 2013, 01:05 AM   #3500
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

There are some good news too! Apparently the city council finally decided, that the facades of Quarter VI will be all historic! (source:http://www.neumarkt-dresden.de/)
How the quarter will look most likey:

Chadoh25, TimothyR, Roman_P, cinxxx, JValjean and 2 others liked this post
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, construction updates, dresden, reconstruction, redevelopment, rekonstrucje, rekonstruktion, sachsen