daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 10th, 2013, 08:28 PM   #3521
GhostOfDorian
Smartshitter

Likes (Received): 5959

The city of Dresden sold the Semper storefront for a higher profit. That's unbelievable!

If already August der Starke would have thought that way, Dresden would be as interesting as Castrop-Rauxel today.
GhostOfDorian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 11th, 2013, 07:59 AM   #3522
TimothyR
Ike

Likes (Received): 2085

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepthepast View Post
TimothyR...that is the Police Station. It was one of the few in the area that survived the bombing enough to be repaired, generally.
Thanks for the info

“In keeping silent about evil, in burying it so deep within us that no sign of it appears on the surface, we are implanting it, and it will rise up a thousand fold in the future. When we neither punish nor reproach evildoers we are thereby ripping the foundations of justice from beneath new generations.”

“The meaning of earthly existence lies not, as we have grown used to thinking, in prospering but in the development of the soul.”
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

"We are more closely connected to the invisible than to the visible"

-Novalis
TimothyR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013, 08:01 AM   #3523
TimothyR
Ike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampflamm View Post
I agree. Walking across the bridge towards the Hofkirche and Georgentor...it was odd, something that I've never really felt before when visiting a city. Maybe it was cause I had been following Dresden and its reconstruction online for such a long time that it was just special to finally see it firsthand. Still, that assortment of fantastic architecture really evoked some sort of emotional response.
---------------------------------------------------

“In keeping silent about evil, in burying it so deep within us that no sign of it appears on the surface, we are implanting it, and it will rise up a thousand fold in the future. When we neither punish nor reproach evildoers we are thereby ripping the foundations of justice from beneath new generations.”

“The meaning of earthly existence lies not, as we have grown used to thinking, in prospering but in the development of the soul.”
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

-Novalis

Last edited by TimothyR; March 11th, 2013 at 07:00 PM.
Old March 11th, 2013, 10:06 AM   #3524
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57844

Indeed. Sehnsucht is so darned romantic! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Mxjgl4f-xg

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Highcliff liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013, 06:38 PM   #3525
TimothyR
Ike

del

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

-Novalis

Last edited by TimothyR; March 12th, 2013 at 03:20 AM.
Old March 11th, 2013, 07:35 PM   #3526
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1676

Based on the graphic images, it's hard to imagine that the cost difference for construction between the two options would be dramatic. The main cost in any construction of this nature is foundation work, internal structural, HVAC, elevators and electrical/plumbing. The windows and exterior finishes are not a deal-breaking budget item.

CF221, Highcliff liked this post
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2013, 12:55 AM   #3527
GhostOfDorian
Smartshitter

Likes (Received): 5959

Well, the store front will be a craftmens work. That's not cheap. But Dresden has a lot of areas where this developper can build something cheap. Nobody has to build at Neumarkt, if he wants to save a few coins.

That's why I don't understand this decision.
GhostOfDorian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2013, 04:38 AM   #3528
keepthepast

Is there any general sense that an email and letter-writing campaign to the developer that pleas for the more favorable design would be useful and yeild good results?

CF221 liked this post
Old March 13th, 2013, 04:44 PM   #3529
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOfDorian View Post
The city of Dresden sold the Semper storefront for a higher profit. That's unbelievable!

If already August der Starke would have thought that way, Dresden would be as interesting as Castrop-Rauxel today.
Luckily not true:
http://neumarkt-dresden.de/pdf-dateien/PM13.03.13_2.pdf
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2013, 04:48 PM   #3530
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Could look like this after all:

At least the Kulturpalast will then have disappeared from sight.

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."

Tiaren, erbse, cinxxx, Batavier, Chadoh25 and 2 others liked this post
Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2013, 04:59 PM   #3531
WhiteMagick
Moderator - Επιτηρητής

+1000!!!

Quartier 6 looks gorgeous!

如果希腊国民继续信阴谋论,外资救世主的,不为自己的行为负责, 他们会灭亡。

人は何かの犠牲なしに何も得ることはできない。何かを得るためには同等の代価が必要になる。それが、生活における等価交換の原則だ。その頃僕らは、それが世界の真実だと信じていた。時間は、最も貴重な資源である。だから、誰の時間もあなたは無駄にしてはいけないし、誰もが他の人の時間を無駄にしないでください。
WhiteMagick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2013, 05:13 PM   #3532
Tiaren

As far as I know, only that narrow green house (inbetween the two orange ones) isn't yet confirmed to be recontructed. Still, this will look amazing!
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2013, 05:33 PM   #3533
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

It could be the nicest part of the Neumarkt. The entire Neumarkt square is so vast but this particular part looks cozy and it'll be a great place to have a beer during the summer time.

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."

erbse, Highcliff liked this post
Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2013, 12:48 AM   #3534
keepthepast

Quote:
It could be the nicest part of the Neumarkt. The entire Neumarkt square is so vast but this particular part looks cozy and it'll be a great place to have a beer during the summer time.
Yes, and part of this part's overall view and appearance will be the final design/buildout for quarter VII, which will be visible as a background to this area from the Frauenkirche area.
Old March 14th, 2013, 04:20 AM   #3535
TimothyR
Ike

Quote:
Could look like this after all:

At least the Kulturpalast will then have disappeared from sight.
It looks wonderful.

I remember when I first started following the rebuilding of the Frauenkirche on the internet. I think the site itself no longer exists. I recall seeing all of those wonderful photos of the old Neumarkt and I thought "Will I ever see Dresden?"
"I wonder if any of those wonderful buildings around the Fruenkirche will ever be rebuilt? Maybe not..."

And now they have - and will be!

And I did see Dresden after all.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

-Novalis

SonOfThomp, Highcliff liked this post
Old March 14th, 2013, 05:30 AM   #3536
keepthepast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyR View Post
It looks wonderful.

I remember when I first started following the rebuilding of the Frauenkirche on the internet. I think the site itself no longer exists. I recall seeing all of those wonderful photos of the old Neumarkt and I thought "Will I ever see Dresden?"
"I wonder if any of those wonderful buildings around the Fruenkirche will ever be rebuilt? Maybe not..."

And now they have - and will be!

And I did see Dresden after all.
My first exposure to Dresden was 1987 when I got a two day pass to go behind the Iron Curtain. Dresden was my goal and the scene throughout the city was one of unbelievable destruction from the bombing 42 years previously. Buildings that made it through the bombing were in 42 years of neglect and disrepair; buildings that were new were necessary blights to serve a desperate housing purpose; and buildings blown up remained largely in the state they were left in February 1945.

My wonder was 'will Germany ever unite to fix all this?' No one thought such was possible.

My second wonder was 'how miserably sad to have lost such a great treasure...forever'.

Well, 'forever' sometimes isn't as long as we sometimes think.

mhjo, Axel_F, SonOfThomp, Highcliff liked this post
Old March 19th, 2013, 04:49 AM   #3537
Axel_F

Likes (Received): 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiaren View Post
As far as I know, only that narrow green house (inbetween the two orange ones) isn't yet confirmed to be recontructed. Still, this will look amazing!
But is there any date for groundbreaking of the orange ones?

erbse, Highcliff liked this post
Axel_F no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 06:11 PM   #3538
SonOfThomp

Likes (Received): 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiaren View Post
It might be the color on my monitor, but I don't see a green house. Is it the one next to the Dinglinger Haus?
SonOfThomp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 07:35 PM   #3539
keepthepast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfThomp View Post
It might be the color on my monitor, but I don't see a green house. Is it the one next to the Dinglinger Haus?
I thought so as well, but on high magnification, the 'green' house is the one at the corner of quarter VI, just opposite the facades of quarter VII. The reference to "in between the orange ones" is a visual reference (two dimentional) to one of the buildings in quarter VI and one in quarter VII.

SonOfThomp, Highcliff liked this post
Old March 19th, 2013, 10:43 PM   #3540
Tiaren

Wasn't that obvious? XD

Dresden's rebuilt cityscape:

image hosted on flickr

DRESDEN - Alemanha by JCassiano, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, construction updates, dresden, reconstruction, redevelopment, rekonstrucje, rekonstruktion, sachsen