daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 25th, 2013, 08:14 PM   #3601
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Could seem about right once the tiles are added.

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."

Chadoh25, Highcliff liked this post
Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 25th, 2013, 08:14 PM   #3602
JohnnyMass
Whatever

Likes (Received): 1493

hysterically inaccurate so far...
let's wait and see.
Old April 25th, 2013, 10:24 PM   #3603
Judge Roy Beam

Likes (Received): 53

Hard to say, in my opinion. Judging by the width of the already installed three top windows below, the metal framework above just might accommodate the correct roof design.

We'll know before too much longer. Fingers crossed.
Judge Roy Beam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2013, 11:39 PM   #3604
TheReconstructer

Likes (Received): 176

Crossing fingers and hope for an good reconstruction of the roof instead of that shitty design.......
Old April 26th, 2013, 12:59 AM   #3605
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1676

quite impossible to tell by the steel beams what the outer treatment will look like, but have confidence. The blood, sweat, tears, and time spent getting this far was not accomplished with the agreement to sacrifice the roof. We're not going to see plastic pearls on a Prada dress.
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2013, 06:25 PM   #3606
SonOfThomp

Likes (Received): 226

It's not looking good, lads:

Highcliff liked this post
SonOfThomp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2013, 06:48 PM   #3607
SonOfThomp

FYI, I drew the red lines in Photoshop, over the second photo Kampflamm posted and re-sized them on the first.

Here, I did the opposite, with more encouraging results.
However, the angle of the two photos is different (see outline of Frauenkirche), so ... who knows?

Kampflamm, Highcliff liked this post

Last edited by SonOfThomp; April 26th, 2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old April 26th, 2013, 07:07 PM   #3608
wolfpaw

Likes (Received): 116

I think it'll be ok in the end. Yes, it's hard to tell at the moment but it's possible that the roofline will respect the original. I can't see why they would jeopardise one of the landmark buildings of the reconstruction by doing otherwise.

wolfpaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2013, 10:27 PM   #3609
SonOfThomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpaw View Post
I think it'll be ok in the end. Yes, it's hard to tell at the moment but it's possible that the roofline will respect the original. I can't see why they would jeopardise one of the landmark buildings of the reconstruction by doing otherwise.

I wish that I could share your optimism:

Old April 26th, 2013, 10:35 PM   #3610
socrates#1fan

Likes (Received): 1318

One can hope that in the future these structures will easily have their facades rebuilt in an appropriate traditional fashion.

"I don’t know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there."-Kurt Vonnegut

socrates#1fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2013, 10:42 PM   #3611
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1676

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates#1fan View Post
One can hope that in the future these structures will easily have their facades rebuilt in an appropriate traditional fashion.
Right, and none of these were surprises when they were in the final stages of completion like 31-33 Rampische. These were known modernist designs from the foundation work.

Patience. Get the wine ready for the finish and celebration at the foot of Rampische.
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2013, 11:51 PM   #3612
SonOfThomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepthepast View Post
Right, and none of these were surprises when they were in the final stages of completion like 31-33 Rampische. These were known modernist designs from the foundation work.
True, but my broader point is that lapses in taste are part of the formula here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepthepast View Post
Patience. Get the wine ready for the finish and celebration at the foot of Rampische.
Do you mind if I pour a Pilsner instead?

TheReconstructer, erbse liked this post
Old April 27th, 2013, 12:17 AM   #3613
The Blond Guy

Likes (Received): 142

I don't see what"s wrong with those "modern' buildings. It's monstrosities like that swiss hotel and that ugly small grey building that are .
And i just love that small building with the complet glass facade.
The Blond Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2013, 12:19 PM   #3614
mhjo
mhji

Likes (Received): 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfThomp View Post
FYI, I drew the red lines in Photoshop, over the second photo Kampflamm posted and re-sized them on the first.

Here, I did the opposite, with more encouraging results.
However, the angle of the two photos is different (see outline of Frauenkirche), so ... who knows?
+ differnt camera lenses!!!!!
mhjo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2013, 12:28 PM   #3615
il_piccolo_chimico
#stosereno

Likes (Received): 763

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blond Guy View Post
And i just love that small building with the complet glass facade.
Me too!

I'm just glad that Dresden is getting back its density and its old urban feeling: that won't change because of a glass façade or a blue rooftop.

Batavier liked this post
il_piccolo_chimico no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2013, 01:08 PM   #3616
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfThomp View Post
I wish that I could share your optimism:

These were by no means landmark buildings though. The reason why they were replaced by modern additions can be found in their prewar blandness and to be honest I actually kind of like some of the buildings, at least the one on the left in the first picture.

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."

Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2013, 05:35 AM   #3617
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

If key structures are rebuilt as closely to the originals, then whatever fills in between will be of less concern to all but the most demanding purists. But ultimately all of it is modern new construction in keeping with updated codes and building technologies. And things can certainly be amended or added later (ironwork, rusticated tiles and other elements) to enhance the character. For now it all looks very good to me.

desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 06:20 PM   #3618
Steve Gatlin

Likes (Received): 20

wunderbar

My first visit to Dresden will happen this month. Because of this, I've been reluctant to comment on the quality of the construction at the Neumarkt until I've seen it in person. The pictures provided here makes me think I'll be pleased with the reconstruction. There are a couple of less than lovely buildings...that green skinny glass one and the sloped roof gray thing on the south side of Quartier 8...but they are minor visual disruptions on an otherwise magnificent reconstruction. Anyone who is disappointed with what has been done in the Neumarkt needs to go back to Page #113 and look at the DDR era picture of sheep in a pen (where Quartier 1 is now) with the ruins of the Frauenkirche as a backdrop! I just wish Quartiers 6 & 7, the Hotel Stadt Rom, and the Hoym Palais were in place too. It's obvious I'll have to visit Germany again in the future...goodie!
Steve Gatlin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 06:57 PM   #3619
durden5573

Likes (Received): 114

Agreed, I'm looking forward to Hoym Palais and Quartier III the most. That will really start to fill in the last of the 'wasteland' areas. I see they are soliciting private investment for QIII, I'm actually surprised there isnt more private funding considering the market value potential. Just look what is happening at Leipziger Platz in Berlin.

Its been 3 years since I've been to Dresden and its already looking like another city. Amazing
durden5573 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 09:08 PM   #3620
TimothyR
Ike

Likes (Received): 2085

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Gatlin View Post
My first visit to Dresden will happen this month. Because of this, I've been reluctant to comment on the quality of the construction at the Neumarkt until I've seen it in person. The pictures provided here makes me think I'll be pleased with the reconstruction. There are a couple of less than lovely buildings...that green skinny glass one and the sloped roof gray thing on the south side of Quartier 8...but they are minor visual disruptions on an otherwise magnificent reconstruction. Anyone who is disappointed with what has been done in the Neumarkt needs to go back to Page #113 and look at the DDR era picture of sheep in a pen (where Quartier 1 is now) with the ruins of the Frauenkirche as a backdrop! I just wish Quartiers 6 & 7, the Hotel Stadt Rom, and the Hoym Palais were in place too. It's obvious I'll have to visit Germany again in the future...goodie!
I was overwhelmed by the beauty, and I went several years ago. There is so much more to see now. The perfectionists will always find things to worry about. I was stunned. I hope you have a wonderful time.

“In keeping silent about evil, in burying it so deep within us that no sign of it appears on the surface, we are implanting it, and it will rise up a thousand fold in the future. When we neither punish nor reproach evildoers we are thereby ripping the foundations of justice from beneath new generations.”

“The meaning of earthly existence lies not, as we have grown used to thinking, in prospering but in the development of the soul.”
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

"We are more closely connected to the invisible than to the visible"

-Novalis
TimothyR no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, construction updates, dresden, reconstruction, redevelopment, rekonstrucje, rekonstruktion, sachsen