daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old June 13th, 2013, 05:36 PM   #3701
keepthepast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 977
Likes (Received): 1677

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperus View Post
it seems to me that most work in reconstruction of Dresden was done in DDR with poorly economy - Zwinger, Semperoper, Hofkirche, Albertinum and many more... more than 90% of reconstructions?
While the very short list of reconstruction projects completed during the DDR decades are notable, it represents a tiny amount of the quality and valued reconstructions, taken in total, that we have today.

Your list is pretty much the extent of what the DDR accomplished in terms of attempting to "rebuild" in former fashion. While most of these were completed with excellent exterior reconstructions, only the Semperoper had its interiors attended to with proper detail and precision.

The DDR's claim to building efforts is definitley not in the area of historic reconstructions. Rather, that period does indeed leave us with a legacy of what a poor and poorly run communist economy is unable to accomplish.
__________________

erbse, Highcliff, Wiederschönmachung liked this post
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 13th, 2013, 06:31 PM   #3702
SonOfThomp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 290
Likes (Received): 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepthepast View Post
Rather, that period does indeed leave us with a legacy of what a poor and poorly run communist economy is unable to accomplish.

Or, as in the Kulturpalast, what it is able to accomplish.
__________________

erbse, keepthepast, Highcliff liked this post
SonOfThomp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2013, 09:51 PM   #3703
skyscraperus
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: skyscraperopolis
Posts: 1,661
Likes (Received): 2267

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepthepast View Post
While the very short list of reconstruction projects completed during the DDR decades are notable, it represents a tiny amount of the quality and valued reconstructions, taken in total, that we have today.

Your list is pretty much the extent of what the DDR accomplished in terms of attempting to "rebuild" in former fashion. While most of these were completed with excellent exterior reconstructions, only the Semperoper had its interiors attended to with proper detail and precision.

The DDR's claim to building efforts is definitley not in the area of historic reconstructions. Rather, that period does indeed leave us with a legacy of what a poor and poorly run communist economy is unable to accomplish.
From communist economy

image hosted on flickr


From capitalist economy



In capitalist economy, people are selfness.

It is same story in Poland - Warsaw and Gdansk are reconstructed in communist era.
Today, Poles only clean buildings.
__________________

Highcliff liked this post

Last edited by skyscraperus; June 13th, 2013 at 10:00 PM.
skyscraperus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2013, 09:57 PM   #3704
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA
 
Kampflamm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Occupied Europe
Posts: 23,654

First of all the castle on the right was still in ruins in 1990. Rebuilt thanks to capitalism. And while the buildings in the second pic have crappy roofs they were nonetheless rebuilt after the entire square had been left derelict for several decades.

Ultimately the GDR did a poor job of rebuilding its cities, particularly compared to Poland and the USSR. There was no need to tear down the castle in Berlin or several churches across the Democratic Republic.
__________________
Free German passport

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."
Kampflamm está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2013, 10:11 PM   #3705
skyscraperus
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: skyscraperopolis
Posts: 1,661
Likes (Received): 2267

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampflamm View Post
First of all the castle on the right was still in ruins in 1990. Rebuilt thanks to capitalism. And while the buildings in the second pic have crappy roofs they were nonetheless rebuilt after the entire square had been left derelict for several decades.

Ultimately the GDR did a poor job of rebuilding its cities, particularly compared to Poland and the USSR. There was no need to tear down the castle in Berlin or several churches across the Democratic Republic.
Poor job of rebuilding in Dresden ???

90% of today reconstruction are completed during the DDR.

What about Frankfurt, Koln, Hamburg ???
__________________

flierfy, Highcliff liked this post
skyscraperus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2013, 10:34 PM   #3706
Saxonia
Registered User
 
Saxonia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Res publica Banana
Posts: 1,057
Likes (Received): 7398

You are welcome, Dresden in August 1989
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EvDz_vFjcU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNCW2tpm3eI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXmLxQhVBcY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMxUTh8Fc98

October 1987
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryhaf1P0EdI

The number of buildings which were rebuild by the DDR is a joke compared to this which have been torn down and left in ruins or uncompleted.
We don't call it the "second destruction" for nothing.
__________________
Saxonia está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2013, 10:38 PM   #3707
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA
 
Kampflamm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Occupied Europe
Posts: 23,654

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperus View Post
Poor job of rebuilding in Dresden ???

90% of today reconstruction are completed during the DDR.

What about Frankfurt, Koln, Hamburg ???
I never said the west did a particularly good job. Nonetheless part of the poor architectural heritage of West Germany can be blamed on the simple fact that the country had to accomodate not just its own bombed out people but millions of refugees from the territories that were given to Poland and the GDR. Still, fact of the matter is that a gem like Görlitz would no longer exist if it wasn't for the capitalist annexation of East Germany.
__________________
Free German passport

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."
Kampflamm está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2013, 11:39 PM   #3708
keepthepast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 977
Likes (Received): 1677

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperus View Post
Poor job of rebuilding in Dresden ???

90% of today reconstruction are completed during the DDR.

What about Frankfurt, Koln, Hamburg ???

...and 90% of that 90% is crappy, utilitarian and characterless "structures" that have little or no architectural, historical, or emotional value at all. They simply filled a dire need for housing and basic infrastructure that have no redeeming values other than protection from weather. There has been acknowledgment that the Semperoper is an exception, but let's be honest, one prize does not a 'rebuilt city' make.
__________________

Wiederschönmachung liked this post
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2013, 11:57 PM   #3709
skyscraperus
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: skyscraperopolis
Posts: 1,661
Likes (Received): 2267

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepthepast View Post
...and 90% of that 90% is crappy, utilitarian and characterless "structures" that have little or no architectural, historical, or emotional value at all. They simply filled a dire need for housing and basic infrastructure that have no redeeming values other than protection from weather. There has been acknowledgment that the Semperoper is an exception, but let's be honest, one prize does not a 'rebuilt city' make.
You dont know anyting about Dresden reconstructions

Zwinger, Semperoper, Hofkirche, Albertinum is crappy, utilitarian and characterless "structures" that have little or no architectural, historical, or emotional value at all?

Last edited by skyscraperus; June 14th, 2013 at 12:03 AM.
skyscraperus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2013, 11:59 PM   #3710
keepthepast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 977
Likes (Received): 1677

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxonia View Post

Wow. I was in Dresden for the first time in October 1987 and this footage brings back so many images. Fantastic. The scene where the filmmaker photographed three russian soldiers was interesting. I took still pics of two and they grabbed my camera and destroyed the film. Fortunately, it was a new role of film and not much lost. Dresden has come a long, long way.
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 12:05 AM   #3711
keepthepast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 977
Likes (Received): 1677

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperus View Post
You dont know anyting about Dresden reconstructions

Hofkirche is crappy, utilitarian and characterless "structures" that have little or no architectural, historical, or emotional value at all?
It would help to read and absorb what has been written before you get your underwear in a bundle and lash out.

I, and others, have noted some excellent work during DDR years, but the vast majority of building was crap. I never said Hofkirche was part of that crap, but I will say again that the exterior is wonderful, however they utterly failed at in inside.
__________________

Wiederschönmachung liked this post
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 12:05 AM   #3712
skyscraperus
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: skyscraperopolis
Posts: 1,661
Likes (Received): 2267

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxonia View Post
You are welcome, Dresden in August 1989
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EvDz_vFjcU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNCW2tpm3eI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXmLxQhVBcY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMxUTh8Fc98

October 1987
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryhaf1P0EdI

The number of buildings which were rebuild by the DDR is a joke compared to this which have been torn down and left in ruins or uncompleted.
We don't call it the "second destruction" for nothing.
What about Frankfurt, Koln, Hamburg ???

Anticommunist propaganda
skyscraperus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 12:08 AM   #3713
skyscraperus
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: skyscraperopolis
Posts: 1,661
Likes (Received): 2267

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepthepast View Post
It would help to read and absorb what has been written before you get your underwear in a bundle and lash out.

I, and others, have noted some excellent work during DDR years, but the vast majority of building was crap. I never said Hofkirche was part of that crap, but I will say again that the exterior is wonderful, however they utterly failed at in inside.
What about Frankfurt, Koln, Hamburg ??? Dresden is in DDR time more reconstructed than all that cities together
skyscraperus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 12:14 AM   #3714
keepthepast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 977
Likes (Received): 1677



You're on a totally different page than where this discussion is.

No one, other than you, is talking about total volume or square footage of the building in Dresden during the DDR reign of terror. The discussion is about quality rebuilding with the original, historic designs and appearances.

I don't think anyone cares that Dresden built more crappy and horrible structures snce 1945 than Koln, Frankfurt and Hamburg. Winning that statistic is yet another embarrassment and tragedy.
__________________

Wiederschönmachung liked this post
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 12:28 AM   #3715
Saxonia
Registered User
 
Saxonia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Res publica Banana
Posts: 1,057
Likes (Received): 7398

Don't feed the troll....
Saxonia está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 03:52 AM   #3716
TimothyR
Ike
 
TimothyR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Born in NYC, Living in Boston
Posts: 1,264
Likes (Received): 2085

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperus View Post
You dont know anyting about Dresden reconstructions

Zwinger, Semperoper, Hofkirche, Albertinum is crappy, utilitarian and characterless "structures" that have little or no architectural, historical, or emotional value at all?


I love the Hofkirche. The Frauenkirche and the Zwinger are more magnificent, but the Hofkirche has a special beauty and warmth. It is rich and beautiful on the outside and the inside as well.

If I was only allowed to return to one building in Dresden it would be this cathedral.






http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...nds_(2005).jpg
__________________

“In keeping silent about evil, in burying it so deep within us that no sign of it appears on the surface, we are implanting it, and it will rise up a thousand fold in the future. When we neither punish nor reproach evildoers we are thereby ripping the foundations of justice from beneath new generations.”

“The meaning of earthly existence lies not, as we have grown used to thinking, in prospering but in the development of the soul.”
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

"We are more closely connected to the invisible than to the visible"

-Novalis

erbse, Highcliff liked this post
TimothyR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 04:40 AM   #3717
wolfpaw
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 304
Likes (Received): 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperus View Post
Poor job of rebuilding in Dresden ???

90% of today reconstruction are completed during the DDR.

What about Frankfurt, Koln, Hamburg ???
I wouldn't praise the DDR too much given what they got up to with the remains of the city palaces in Berlin and Potsdam or the shameful demolition of the Paulinerkirche in Leipzig.
wolfpaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 04:41 AM   #3718
wolfpaw
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 304
Likes (Received): 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxonia View Post
October 1987
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryhaf1P0EdI

The number of buildings which were rebuild by the DDR is a joke compared to this which have been torn down and left in ruins or uncompleted.
We don't call it the "second destruction" for nothing.
What a fascinating video. It's easy to forget quite what a mess Dresden was before the current reconstructions started.
wolfpaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 05:05 AM   #3719
TimothyR
Ike
 
TimothyR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Born in NYC, Living in Boston
Posts: 1,264
Likes (Received): 2085

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpaw View Post
I wouldn't praise the DDR too much given what they got up to with the remains of the city palaces in Berlin and Potsdam or the shameful demolition of the Paulinerkirche in Leipzig.
I did not know about that. It was destroyed in 1968! Terrible.
__________________

“In keeping silent about evil, in burying it so deep within us that no sign of it appears on the surface, we are implanting it, and it will rise up a thousand fold in the future. When we neither punish nor reproach evildoers we are thereby ripping the foundations of justice from beneath new generations.”

“The meaning of earthly existence lies not, as we have grown used to thinking, in prospering but in the development of the soul.”
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

"We are more closely connected to the invisible than to the visible"

-Novalis
TimothyR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 11:42 AM   #3720
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA
 
Kampflamm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Occupied Europe
Posts: 23,654

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperus View Post
What about Frankfurt, Koln, Hamburg ???

Anticommunist propaganda
Those cities didn't have huge bombed out buildings (like the castle) in their city centers in the late 80s.
__________________
Free German passport

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."

erbse, Cager, Highcliff liked this post
Kampflamm está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, construction updates, dresden, reconstruction, redevelopment, rekonstrucje, rekonstruktion, sachsen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu