daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 10th, 2013, 06:38 PM   #3861
MRouchell
MRouchell

Likes (Received): 235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiaren View Post
Libeskind's extension of the Military Museum is imho a really great and impressive piece of architecture! Or should I say piece of art?

image hosted on flickr

MHM Dresden / Keil by 96dpi, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

MHM Dresden by 96dpi, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

It can be (if necessary) removed in the future, so it doesn't actually harm the historic building and it doesn't hurt any historic cityscape, as the Military Museum stands on its own in a park area.
The addition actually cuts into the existing building and destroys the interiors. It can't be simply removed. To propose a design such as Libeskind's takes no talent and very much disrespect for historic architecture.

Sponsored Links
Old September 10th, 2013, 06:39 PM   #3862
Joe Whalen 7

Likes (Received): 128

That Dresden Building (The Military Museum)

We have something similar where I live. A modernistic building from the late 1950s that houses the state supreme court has an addition that is neo-classical. The local joke is that it looks like "Starship Enterprise docked at Versailles." The one in Dresden is far worse.
Joe Whalen 7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 08:18 PM   #3863
EKE

Likes (Received): 2

I find both the Libeskind and Gehry projects to be disturbing and ugly. The Dresden project is rather typical Libeskind, since despite his efforts to intellectualize and rationalize the geometries for particular projects, he really doesn't do anything else except the "jagged shard". Here its particularly disturbing for what it does to the existing classical building - his contempt for it is very clear.

Frank Gehry has always been a difficult and complicated case for me. I often find his buildings to be beautiful objects, especially when they are stand alone structures and amount to abstract compositions. Bilbao Guggenheim and The Disney Hall in Los Angeles come to mind.

But there is another group of his projects where he takes a recognized building type and deconstructs it. The Prague project is a good example. He takes a much beloved building type - the classic 4-5 story European city core building, and he warps and twists it into something from a funhouse mirror. It's perverse - it's almost as if he's saying, "see this building that all of you find so lovely and comforting - well not so fast - look at what I can do to it." I find it arrogant and narcissistic. I hate that building.

socrates#1fan liked this post
EKE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 08:38 PM   #3864
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Likes (Received): 8161

Deconstructivists are probably the only architects that can still do exciting architecture, instead of boring or apologist. I guess that's why their buildings provoke such debate.
Old September 10th, 2013, 08:49 PM   #3865
Saxonia

Likes (Received): 7398

The thing is, Libeskind wouldn't have done this with a modern building like a commiblock or something else. He need to destroy the poportions of the old building to create his own architectural "message". Thats not okay in my opinion, especially not in Dresden.
Old September 10th, 2013, 08:58 PM   #3866
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Why not? An otherwise boring old building becomes a cool modern one. Sounds good. I find it strange just how hungry you guys are for mediocrity.

Autostädter liked this post
El_Greco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 09:15 PM   #3867
Saxonia

It's not modern just because you throw a wedge in it. It provocates but I don't need to be provocated by buildings. There are women in this world who already do this all the time.

Last edited by Saxonia; September 10th, 2013 at 09:25 PM.
Saxonia está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 09:24 PM   #3868
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

So you guys would prefer something boring?
Old September 10th, 2013, 09:35 PM   #3869
william of waco

Likes (Received): 258

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Greco View Post
Why not? An otherwise boring old building becomes a cool modern one. Sounds good. I find it strange just how hungry you guys are for mediocrity.
This "forgettable old building" is one of the very few to have survived the bombing. Libeskind's design is insulting and I fail to see anything remotely original about it.

The Sainsbury Wing of the National Gallery in London is a good example of how to build an extension onto a building while respecting its historical integrity. It fits so well that its almost unnoticeable until closer inspection. You can then see how clever the design is.

image hosted on flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7111/7...92440a87_b.jpg by Aries L. http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Urbanista1, KamZolt, Photodash liked this post
william of waco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 09:41 PM   #3870
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Quote:
Originally Posted by william of waco View Post

This "forgettable old building" is one of the very few to have survived the bombing. Libeskind's design is insulting and I fail to see anything remotely original about it.

The Sainsbury Wing of the National Gallery in London is a good example of how to build an extension onto a building while respecting its historical integrity. It fits so well that its almost unnoticeable until closer inspection. You can then see how clever the design is.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7111/7...92440a87_b.jpg by Aries L. http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
As I say you guys want mediocrity.
Old September 10th, 2013, 09:54 PM   #3871
Index_LT

Likes (Received): 499

The Dancing house is the kind of modern buildings that could be built in the hystorical city centres. It is modern, actually even provocative design (that is actually beautiful for me) yet it follows the classic perimetrical planning and is has a human scale.

Although it is really bad when the modern building is an "intruder" in the hystorical environment without any respect to the planning and the scale. For example, the building at the end of street: https://maps.google.lt/maps?q=Union+...59.65,,0,-7.71
Old September 10th, 2013, 10:26 PM   #3872
MRouchell
MRouchell

Likes (Received): 235

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Greco View Post
Deconstructivists are probably the only architects that can still do exciting architecture, instead of boring or apologist. I guess that's why their buildings provoke such debate.
Libeskind's work is for shock value only. If you had to look at the Dresden Museum everyday, perhaps you had to drive by it everyday to get to work and home, the shock would wear off, and all that would be left is a disfigured building. Beautiful buildings don't spark debates. The problem is that deconstructivists architects cannot produce beautiful buildings. The standards of beauty are too much for them so they decided to purposely design ugly buildings. Deconstruction is an architecture of anarchy. It's anything goes architecture. It takes no talent, and anyone skilled enough to operate a computer can produce it.

socrates#1fan liked this post
MRouchell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 10:39 PM   #3873
bolg

Likes (Received): 758

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRouchell View Post
Libeskind's work is for shock value only. If you had to look at the Dresden Museum everyday, perhaps you had to drive by it everyday to get to work and home, the shock would wear off, and all that would be left is a disfigured building. Beautiful buildings don't spark debates. The problem is that deconstructivists architects cannot produce beautiful buildings. The standards of beauty are too much for them so they decided to purposely design ugly buildings. Deconstruction is an architecture of anarchy. It's anything goes architecture. It takes no talent, and anyone skilled enough to operate a computer can produce it.
Somehow I always think of the below quote when looking at provoking architecture.

Quote:
We want to be loved; failing that, admired; failing that, feared; failing that, hated and despised. At all costs we want to stir up some sort of feeling in others. Our soul abhors a vacuum. At all costs it longs for contact.

Mruczek, socrates#1fan liked this post
bolg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 11:28 PM   #3874
Kim André
The Norwegian

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates#1fan View Post
Lots of wise words here...
I pretty much agree with everything you have said here, fan. Well written.
Kim André no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 11:32 PM   #3875
Kim André
The Norwegian

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Libeskind's extension of the Military Museum is imho a really great and impressive piece of architecture! Or should I say piece of art?

image hosted on flickr

MHM Dresden / Keil by 96dpi, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

I don't know this building very well, but that truly makes my heart bleed. Architectural rape. Why is this even allowed?

Photodash liked this post
Kim André no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 12:10 AM   #3876
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRouchell View Post
The problem is that deconstructivists architects cannot produce beautiful buildings.
Sure they can and they do. Anyway what kind of architecture you want?

Last edited by El_Greco; September 11th, 2013 at 01:38 AM.
El_Greco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 12:26 AM   #3877
Saxonia

So whats exciting and brave about that Libeskind thing Dresden?
Saxonia está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 12:32 AM   #3878
JohnnyMass
Whatever

Likes (Received): 1493

Enough with the off-topic guys.
Old September 11th, 2013, 10:15 AM   #3879
fountainkopf

Likes (Received): 138

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolg View Post
Basically, even though you managed to phrase it better than me.

And also I don't think that the historic districts are that bad when it comes to density. Vasastan which is a Neustadt-district of Stockholm with mostly post-industrial, pre-ww2 structures has a population density of about 20 000 ppl/km^2 while still being a cozy place to live with small cafés, shops and calm back streets.
I bet the 20 000 people per km2 came by accident. If you analyze space really like the grid developing ancestors of ours did you can easily fit 150 000 people in sq km in the nordic countries and 300 000 in Chinas Goangzhou and similarly located cities like Abu Dhabi. The shadowing is heavier due to low positioning of the sun in the nordic countries during the winter.
With 150 000 people ( 60000 apartments ) you can still have 6000 shops and cafes and 100000 parking spaces, dog parks and green boulevard etc. This is not just a dream I actually drew it and counted all numbers.

keepthepast liked this post
fountainkopf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 04:12 PM   #3880
socrates#1fan

Likes (Received): 1318

Quote:

It can be (if necessary) removed in the future, so it doesn't actually harm the historic building and it doesn't hurt any historic cityscape, as the Military Museum stands on its own in a park area.
Why do you consider it a great and impressive piece of architecture? What qualifies it as impressive?

It does, classical buildings are designed to create a feel of symmetry and balance. Everything flows together like water. This directly assaults the flow and intentions of the architecture.

Perhaps the reason some like it is not the piece itself, but the name attached to it?

"I don’t know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there."-Kurt Vonnegut
socrates#1fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, construction updates, dresden, reconstruction, redevelopment, rekonstrucje, rekonstruktion, sachsen