daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 11th, 2013, 04:16 PM   #3881
socrates#1fan

Likes (Received): 1318

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Greco View Post
Deconstructivists are probably the only architects that can still do exciting architecture, instead of boring or apologist. I guess that's why their buildings provoke such debate.
Please

Deconstructivists architects are jokes. They lack the ability to create good buildings, so they go around creating chaos (and no, simply getting a reaction out of people does not justify the building).

They are no different than the child that runs around destroying the sandcastles of others because they are either too unfocused or untalented to create one themselves.

"I don’t know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there."-Kurt Vonnegut

Highcliff, Photodash liked this post
socrates#1fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 11th, 2013, 04:27 PM   #3882
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates#1fan View Post
Why do you consider it a great and impressive piece of architecture? What qualifies it as impressive?

It does, classical buildings are designed to create a feel of symmetry and balance. Everything flows together like water. This directly assaults the flow and intentions of the architecture.

Perhaps the reason some like it is not the piece itself, but the name attached to it?
I consider it great and impressive, because it evokes strong emotions in me. How fitting for a museum about war, to be violently cut through by a giant blade of steel. It shows us the other side of war too, not only the unbearable pathos, like (just as examples) in American, British or Russian museums of that sort.
Last but not least: I find it very intriguing and almost beautiful, how the blade changes it's shape and it's transparency, depending on the angle, from which you are approaching it.

White Light, Highcliff liked this post
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 04:38 PM   #3883
socrates#1fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiaren View Post
I consider it great and impressive, because it evokes strong emotions in me. How fitting for a museum about war, to be violently cut through by a giant blade of steel. It shows us the other side of war too, not only the unbearable pathos, like (just as examples) in American, British or Russian museums of that sort.
Last but not least: I find it very intriguing and almost beautiful, how the blade changes it's shape and it's transparency, depending on the angle, from which you are approaching it.
Getting punched in the stomach evokes strong emotions in me, but does that make my attacker impressive? No.

So with that logic, should a burger restaurant be shaped like a giant burger? Should a hospital be a giant syringe? Should a bordello be giant phallus?

This building was painstakingly created by an architect long dead. He worked to create the balance and order, only to have it defaced by an "architect" who lacked even a smidge of his talent.

"I don’t know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there."-Kurt Vonnegut
Old September 11th, 2013, 04:50 PM   #3884
fountainkopf

Likes (Received): 138

Quote:
Getting punched in the stomach evokes strong emotions in me, but does that make my attacker impressive? No.

So with that logic, should a burger restaurant be shaped like a giant burger? Should a hospital be a giant syringe? Should a bordello be giant phallus?

This building was painstakingly created by an architect long dead. He worked to create the balance and order, only to have it defaced by an "architect" who lacked even a smidge of his talent.

Who was the original architect ? Daniel Libeskind homepage don't mention it nor does wiki.

http://daniel-libeskind.com/projects...history-museum

Highcliff liked this post
fountainkopf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 05:08 PM   #3885
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

Quote:
So with that logic, should a burger restaurant be shaped like a giant burger? Should a hospital be a giant syringe? Should a bordello be giant phallus.
Now you are trolling or just dumb. In that logic, the war museum had to look like a tank. It doesn't. It features some sort of blade or shard, symbolising violence. At least for me it does. I don't even know Libeskind's intention behind this work. Everyone will have to think for themselves, to see something in it, or not. And that's the point.
In the examples you mention, there isn't any room for your own interpretation, They have no deeper meaning no deeper symbolism at all. They're just kitsch!
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 05:36 PM   #3886
Saxonia

Likes (Received): 7398

Quote:
Originally Posted by fountainkopf View Post
Who was the original architect ? Daniel Libeskind homepage don't mention it nor does wiki.

http://daniel-libeskind.com/projects...history-museum
The building was orginally used as a Arsenal for the saxon army so the plans basically derive from the own military construction office (Militärbaudirektion). The facade and some details were designed by Hermann Nicolai and Gustav Rumpel.

fountainkopf liked this post
Saxonia está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 06:26 PM   #3887
fountainkopf

Likes (Received): 138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxonia View Post
The building was orginally used as a Arsenal for the saxon army so the plans basically derive from the own military construction office (Militärbaudirektion). The facade and some details were designed by Hermann Nicolai and Gustav Rumpel.
Thanks Saxonia..I just concluded that Gustav Rumpel definitely knew who the architect was ! Hermann Nicolai was his teacher right ?

PS: I worked in Berlin for an entwurf Bundesarbeitgeright Erfurt !

Last edited by fountainkopf; September 11th, 2013 at 06:37 PM.
fountainkopf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 07:00 PM   #3888
socrates#1fan

Quote:
Now you are trolling or just dumb. In that logic, the war museum had to look like a tank. It doesn't. It features some sort of blade or shard, symbolising violence. At least for me it does. I don't even know Libeskind's intention behind this work. Everyone will have to think for themselves, to see something in it, or not. And that's the point.
In the examples you mention, there isn't any room for your own interpretation, They have no deeper meaning no deeper symbolism at all. They're just kitsch!
No, I'm pointing out flaws in your logic.

Tank, blade, gun, what is the difference? What makes a blade in the structure more meaningful than a gun or tank? What makes a burger any less meaningful?

Had Libeskind designed a structure in the shape of a burger for a restaurant people would have made the exact same argument for its "meaningfulness" because they attach more importance to the name of the architect than the architecture itself.

A blade jammed in a historic building is kitsch. The emperor's new clothes are kitsch.

Old September 11th, 2013, 07:05 PM   #3889
Saxonia

Yes, Nicolai was professor at the Kunstakademie in Dresden and Rumpel was one of his students.
Old September 11th, 2013, 10:10 PM   #3890
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Likes (Received): 8161

Quote:

Please

Deconstructivists architects are jokes. They lack the ability to create good buildings, so they go around creating chaos (and no, simply getting a reaction out of people does not justify the building).

They are no different than the child that runs around destroying the sandcastles of others because they are either too unfocused or untalented to create one themselves.
You just keep repeating the same thing. Are you going to tell us what you consider 'good' architecture?
Old September 11th, 2013, 10:52 PM   #3891
MRouchell
MRouchell

Likes (Received): 235

Quote:
The sharp object cutting through the building is suppose to represent the violence of war, so what does this addition to the Royal Ontario Art Center symbolize?

from www.gothereguide.com.

Photodash, Wiederschönmachung liked this post
MRouchell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 10:56 PM   #3892
MRouchell
MRouchell

Likes (Received): 235

Quote:
You just keep repeating the same thing. Are you going to tell us what you consider 'good' architecture?
Here's good architecture: www.qftarchitects.com

Pod°, Photodash liked this post
MRouchell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 11:03 PM   #3893
socrates#1fan

Quote:
Good architecture is built on the organic need for space and the natural human desire for decoration and ornamentation.

Good architecture is not designed to shock for negative reasons. It is not for being as bizarre as possible.

Good architecture can be this...

It can be this...

It can be this..

It can even be this..

But all of these structures are organic and natural. They find a pleasing balance between necessity and our need for symmetry, ornamentation, and beauty. They are all the product of their specific environments. They are not born out of the emperor's new clothes syndrome and they are not born out of some insane architect's sociopathic need to shock and disgust. They borrow the positive elements of the eras before them while progressing in a reasonable and intelligent fashion.

Last but not least, you don't have to be "taught" to find them beautiful. A good piece of architecture can appeal to everyone from the genius to the illiterate beggar.
THAT is good architecture.

Old September 12th, 2013, 12:08 AM   #3894
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Quote:

Good architecture is built on the organic need for space and the natural human desire for decoration and ornamentation.

Good architecture is not designed to shock for negative reasons. It is not for being as bizarre as possible.

Good architecture can be this...

It can be this...

It can be this..

It can even be this..

But all of these structures are organic and natural. They find a pleasing balance between necessity and our need for symmetry, ornamentation, and beauty. They are all the product of their specific environments. They are not born out of the emperor's new clothes syndrome and they are not born out of some insane architect's sociopathic need to shock and disgust. They borrow the positive elements of the eras before them while progressing in a reasonable and intelligent fashion.

Last but not least, you don't have to be "taught" to find them beautiful. A good piece of architecture can appeal to everyone from the genius to the illiterate beggar.
THAT is good architecture.
No modern examples then? You just don't like modern architecture full stop. You could just say so, no need for all this philosophical talk about 'human desire'.

Btw places of worship aside your examples are rural retreats and not exactly suitable to the 21st century city. You're not going to house millions in log cabins or Japanese feudal mansions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRouchell View Post

Here's good architecture: www.qftarchitects.com
Lol.

Last edited by El_Greco; September 12th, 2013 at 12:26 AM.
El_Greco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 12:17 AM   #3895
White Light
Shines in the dark...

Likes (Received): 942

I like it actually. I was thinking about it for almost entire day, and i say YES. This is military museum in Dresden, war torn city. World famous Dresden architecture was destroyed by war havoc. This old building was cut and attacked by a strong and dominant shape that chained it forever. This building is actually a representation of the city itself. And having in mind reconstruction of Dresden city center, one more "Ideal" reconstruction wouldn't bring much good. This peace of modern and daring future looks into the past, in the best possible way it can, better then original building ever could. Museums should speak, this one screams during past remembrance. I wish to enter. Bravo.

Believe in architecture..........

Last edited by White Light; September 12th, 2013 at 12:19 AM. Reason: +
White Light no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 12:22 AM   #3896
White Light
Shines in the dark...

Likes (Received): 942

Monumental, inviting and powerful!

Believe in architecture..........

Last edited by White Light; September 12th, 2013 at 12:31 AM. Reason: fix link
White Light no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 12:24 AM   #3897
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Beautiful.

White Light liked this post
El_Greco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 12:45 AM   #3898
Saxonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Light View Post
I like it actually. I was thinking about it for almost entire day, and i say YES. This is military museum in Dresden, war torn city. World famous Dresden architecture was destroyed by war havoc. This old building was cut and attacked by a strong and dominant shape that chained it forever. This building is actually a representation of the city itself. And having in mind reconstruction of Dresden city center, one more "Ideal" reconstruction wouldn't bring much good. This peace of modern and daring future looks into the past, in the best possible way it can, better then original building ever could. Museums should speak, this one screams during past remembrance. I wish to enter. Bravo.
Yes, Churchills victory sign rammed into the main building of the once biggest military complex in europe, which - and this is actually kind of funny though this word is inappropiate in this context- was left nearly untouched by the allied bombings.
Besides, this building wouldn't have needed a reconstruction, just a normal renovation. It was completely intact before Libeskind came along.

small picture series http://www.schirmeister-online.de/

Wiederschönmachung liked this post

Last edited by Saxonia; September 12th, 2013 at 02:12 AM.
Old September 12th, 2013, 02:04 AM   #3899
Mruczek
Warrior of Excel

Likes (Received): 13455

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Light View Post
It seems I understand the symbolism of this architecture. What I fail to understand is the utility of interiors located in such twisted and absurd shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxonia View Post
Yes, Churchills victory sign rammed into the main building of the once biggest military complex in europe, which - and this is actually kind of funny thoug this word is inappropiate in this context- was left nearly untouched by the allied bombings.
Besides, this building wouldn't have needed a reconstruction, just a normal renovation. It was completely intact before Libeskind came along.
All the rest is a matter of taste. What you've bolded shows that Libeskind's project is wrong.
Barcelona Budapeszt Grodno Kowno Madryt Moskwa Ukraina
Mruczek está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 06:00 AM   #3900
socrates#1fan

When man lacks the self-esteem to walk upon his own two feet without need to belittle others he must grasp upon ideas that "separate" him from the common man.

Desperately trying to appear deeper, more intellectual, and more worthy of existence the man will try his best to act as if he has a higher level of understanding, aesthetics, etc. though none will be created himself. He will simply grasp at what is perceived to be intellectual.

When the common human finds appeal in beauty, he must pretend the grotesque and hideous has appeal so that he may distinguish himself from the masses he loathes. They will create a complex web of reasons as to why they find the grotesque beautiful, though in reality it is nothing but a show. A cheap veneer constantly changing as "intellectual" and "modern" tastes change.

You cannot convince this man otherwise, because to convince them that their "beauty" is grotesque would be an attack on their character, an attack on ideas that they did not question, but simply took as dogma. To try to change this man would be like trying to convince the "prophet" that there is no god speaking to them. To change this idea would require a complete reconstruction not only of self perception but also the world around them.

Kim André, Wiederschönmachung liked this post

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, construction updates, dresden, reconstruction, redevelopment, rekonstrucje, rekonstruktion, sachsen