daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 13th, 2007, 02:50 AM   #381
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57844

Thanks Kampfy.
Do they import it from Columbia?

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Highcliff liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 14th, 2007, 12:45 AM   #382
erbse
LIBERTINED

Progress with rejoicings and embraces

Btw, let me show you some progress from the Neumarkt:

The roofs at Quartier3 forge ahead

Good progress at the Schütz-residence. They're building glamorous brick walls for a more pleasant epiphany. Niice!

The "Köhlersche Haus" heading to the Schumachergasse

Old October 14th, 2007, 02:01 PM   #383
catoneinutica

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbsenzaehler View Post
Btw, let me show you some progress from the Neumarkt:

The roofs at Quartier3 forge ahead

Good progress at the Schütz-residence. They're building glamorous brick walls for a more pleasant epiphany. Niice!

The "Köhlersche Haus" heading to the Schumachergasse
Heinrich Schuetz, a Saxon composer some consider the equal of of JS Bach, deserves no less!
Thank you for the pix! You and Kampflamm never fail to brighten my spirits with your exquisite photography.

PS: You mention supporting the rebuilding of the Berlin Schloss in your sig file. Kampflamm in an earlier post suggested that the Schloss was still facing opposition from certain quarters, particularly those who miss the glorious DDR era. Is the reconstruction of the Schloss definite, or is there a chance the plans could be thwarted? Dios mio, I hope building proceeds apace! Berlin will not be complete without it.
catoneinutica no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 03:46 PM   #384
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Right now there is a design process going on in Berlin. The problem is that the jury for the competition is filled with modernists such as Chipperfield, who's already raping the Neue Museum in Berlin. There's also some doubt as to how many rooms will be reconstructed according to the original designs. Seems like the longer the process is drawn out, the worse the proposals get. If we're lucky, we'll get a nice facade in Berlin, but that might be it.

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."

Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 03:49 PM   #385
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Some nice shots to compare the situation before WW2 and now:

As you can see, the people in charge decided to just extend (in essence double) the facade of the white building (it'll also be behind the Turkey billboard). Questionable decision IMO. At the same time you can see that even the modern buildings look quite alright compared to the old, bland ones that used to be there:

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."

Old October 15th, 2007, 04:09 PM   #386
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4197

I like it now better than before WW2. The houses looked liked ruins even without destruction.

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 09:57 PM   #387
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampflamm View Post
Right now there is a design process going on in Berlin. The problem is that the jury for the competition is filled with modernists such as Chipperfield, who's already raping the Neue Museum in Berlin. There's also some doubt as to how many rooms will be reconstructed according to the original designs. Seems like the longer the process is drawn out, the worse the proposals get. If we're lucky, we'll get a nice facade in Berlin, but that might be it.
I think most modernists fail to understand that the "stylish" and "modern" designs they put forth will be hidiouse within their lifetime, after the trend dies out. While the Dresden Neumarkt will be timeless forever. I hope people evuantally get over this whole "must be modern!" thing, because in the end it is the classical architecture that people still are in aww at, and still want to look at. Berlins downtown should be reconstructed the way it was, Berlin is too old of a city to be a modernist city. I hope people there evuantally wish to reconstruct their old city, like the people of Dresden wish to.
People will come from all over the world to see Dresden's gloriouse old city Nuemarkt, but Berlin?
Berlin dissapoints me with its development, you rarely get a slightly classical facade there.

Unionstation13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 11:04 PM   #388
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Yup, Berlin stinks. Perfect example...main building of the Technical University:

Pre-WW2:

Now:

IMO they should have reconstructed all of it. The fact that you can see its old beauty makes the new main building look even more ugly.

Old October 15th, 2007, 11:09 PM   #389
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionstation13 View Post
I think most modernists fail to understand that the "stylish" and "modern" designs they put forth will be hidiouse within their lifetime, after the trend dies out. While the Dresden Neumarkt will be timeless forever. I hope people evuantally get over this whole "must be modern!" thing, because in the end it is the classical architecture that people still are in aww at, and still want to look at. Berlins downtown should be reconstructed the way it was, Berlin is too old of a city to be a modernist city. I hope people there evuantally wish to reconstruct their old city, like the people of Dresden wish to.
People will come from all over the world to see Dresden's gloriouse old city Nuemarkt, but Berlin?
Berlin dissapoints me with its development, you rarely get a slightly classical facade there.
I think the problem is that you'd have to tear down lots of buildings to re-create "Old Berlin" (while there was nothing left on the Neumarkt). Some major mistakes were made in the 90s with Potsdamer Platz. Before the war it was a beautiful area, now it's just a bland mix of new buildings which could be located anywhere else in the world as well. I guess people like me who love old architecture will just have to live with that. Although it's sometimes really hard to look at pics of German cities before the war. If it wasn't for WW2, Germany could still be one of the if not the most beautiful country in Europe architecture-wise...now it's quite possibly the ugliest.

Highcliff, Photodash liked this post
Old October 16th, 2007, 12:11 AM   #390
Kim André
The Norwegian

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by goschio View Post
I like it now better than before WW2. The houses looked liked ruins even without destruction.
Agreed!
Kim André no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 12:32 AM   #391
Ataman
Some user

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
I think the problem is that you'd have to tear down lots of buildings to re-create "Old Berlin" (while there was nothing left on the Neumarkt). Some major mistakes were made in the 90s with Potsdamer Platz. Before the war it was a beautiful area, now it's just a bland mix of new buildings which could be located anywhere else in the world as well. I guess people like me who love old architecture will just have to live with that. Although it's sometimes really hard to look at pics of German cities before the war. If it wasn't for WW2, Germany could still be one of the if not the most beautiful country in Europe architecture-wise...now it's quite possibly the ugliest.
I am betting this trend will die down, since anything less than the top 1% of modern architecture bores. Most of modern architecture is about experimentation, where 99% turn out as failed experiments (even Wright and Foster had to experiment before they created spectacular successes).

Most of the "failed experiments" will get replaced by better ones in time. In other words, we evolve.

-Ataman
Ataman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 10:53 PM   #392
Unionstation13

Quote:
True, it would take some major demolition to reconstruct old berlin.
But structures could be remodeled or have classical facades of perviouse structures put on them. I think Germany can become once again a beautiful country in Europe, it just has to take the steps, like Dresden is. Dresden is one of my favorite cities, the classical architecture is just beautiful.
I think that if Berlin started by re-constructing its landmarks, that would encourage it to have more classical architecture, I just never understood peoples' fascination with glass boxes and commieblocks. A building should tell a story, not make you want to throw up.

Old October 18th, 2007, 08:29 PM   #393
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Heinrich-Schütz Residenz (Quartier V/2):

Old October 23rd, 2007, 08:40 PM   #394
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Quartier V/2

Quartier III

One of the old/new little alleys...Salzgasse:

Rampische Straße 29

Old October 25th, 2007, 03:13 AM   #395
erbse
LIBERTINED

Some additional photos of the Quartier III at Dresdens Neumarkt

The roofscape during the last days

From the Neumarkt square

From the observation point of the Frauenkirche

Comparison:

Today

The good old days

Near the Polizeipräsidium

Rampische Straße

They really put a lot of effort into the protection of the historical basement

Kurländer Palais

Sadly it's a bit annoying that they're building flat roofs on some of the reconstructions at QuartierIII, but ultimately it's fantastic to see how Dresden is developing that area and presses ahead with at least some really outstanding reconstructions Several European cities (particularly German ones) should follow that suit, it really is a great way to reshape many oppressed cities!

Old October 25th, 2007, 09:14 PM   #396
Unionstation13

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbsenzaehler View Post
Some additional photos of the Quartier III at Dresdens Neumarkt

Sadly it's a bit annoying that they're building flat roofs on some of the reconstructions at QuartierIII, but ultimately it's fantastic to see how Dresden is developing that area and presses ahead with at least some really outstanding reconstructions Several European cities (particularly German ones) should follow that suit, it really is a great way to reshape many oppressed cities!
I think the whole world could learn from Dresden. Here, we lost many historical landmarks to bad planning and arson, yet we never even salvaged the facades. I wish we would reconstruct our historic landmarks. I would love for Berlin to do the same thing, modernism isnt timeless like Dresden will be.
I also love the fact that Dresden isnt just going skin deep, they are doing everything the way it was, from the basement, to the interiors! You can construct old style buildings without them looking fake!
How is Dresden able to afford such expensive materials and craftsmanship?

Old October 28th, 2007, 03:25 PM   #397
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Quartier V/2

Kurländer Palais

The Castle and Zwinger in the background

Old October 28th, 2007, 04:16 PM   #398
Knuddel Knutsch

Likes (Received): 286

Quote:

the facade behind the r-class advertisement really sux...

How can they build the biggest facade heading towards the neumarkt-square in this pseudo modern ugly style????

And the shity glass thing left of it is also not better...they should seriously consider changing that facade before its too late.

Last edited by Knuddel Knutsch; October 28th, 2007 at 04:38 PM.
Knuddel Knutsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 01:10 AM   #399
Unionstation13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuddel Knutsch View Post
the facade behind the r-class advertisement really sux...

How can they build the biggest facade heading towards the neumarkt-square in this pseudo modern ugly style????

And the shity glass thing left of it is also not better...they should seriously consider changing that facade before its too late.
Eh it will probably be changed later into a more classical facade. Atleast the whole thing isn't a nasty glass box called 'art'. Modernism doesn't stand a chance in this part of Dresden.
Old November 7th, 2007, 09:01 PM   #400
erbse
LIBERTINED

Agreed, modernism sucks, especially at such a place. Dresden nearly passes up a golden opportunity with such things.

Whatever, I'd like to show you some recent progress from the Neumarkt

Schütz-Residenz

Quartier III

The outlawed big modern gizmo... Seems that they changed the size of the dormers, if you look at the original plans. A bit into the positive direction imo.

The baroque atmosphere is back at the Neumarkt - well, a bit leastwise

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, construction updates, dresden, reconstruction, redevelopment, rekonstrucje, rekonstruktion, sachsen