daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 17th, 2013, 11:12 PM   #4161
White Light
Shines in the dark...

Likes (Received): 942

Does anyone have any picture of some incorporated old basement of other, already finished buildings?

Believe in architecture..........
White Light no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 18th, 2013, 05:51 PM   #4162
Skymino
Ambrosian User

Likes (Received): 5468

It 'also one of my curiosity

Urbanfile Blog - MyFlickr - Milàn l'era inscì
Skymino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2013, 06:48 PM   #4163
Saxonia

Likes (Received): 7397

Spa-Bereich Swiss Hotel

Rüstkammergebäude

http://www.neumarkt-dresden.de/baubi...r-juli-12.html

Rampische Straße 29 (GHND building)

http://www.neumarkt-dresden.de/baubi...pril-2009.html

"Zunftgewölbe" Sophienkeller Restaurant, Taschenbergpalais

http://www.sophienkeller-dresden.de/...rundgang&id=11

Heinrich Schütz Residenz

http://www.boarding-in-dresden.de/impressionen.htm
Old November 18th, 2013, 07:47 PM   #4164
White Light
Shines in the dark...

Bravooo, thanks! This is great!

Old November 19th, 2013, 02:15 AM   #4165
Concrete jungle

Likes (Received): 284

A cool concept indeed!
Concrete jungle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2013, 01:26 PM   #4166
Skymino
Ambrosian User

Likes (Received): 5468

Thanks

Urbanfile Blog - MyFlickr - Milàn l'era inscì
Skymino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2013, 03:28 PM   #4167
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

I am not superstitious...but I'd be very uncomfortable to live above or even party in one of those original basements. Dozens of people were cooped up in there in the tragic bombing night. Many people (whole families) didn't survive, but suffocated, burnt to death or took their own lives to escape this hell...

william of waco, Photodash liked this post
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2013, 07:56 PM   #4168
william of waco

Likes (Received): 258

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiaren View Post
I am not superstitious...but I'd be very uncomfortable to live above or even party in one of those original basements. Dozens of people were cooped up in there in the tragic bombing night. Many people (whole families) didn't survive, but suffocated, burnt to death or took their own lives to escape this hell...
Indeed. The way they're attempting to give them a feeling of coziness is kind of creepy. They should be filled in.
william of waco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2013, 08:15 PM   #4169
Saxonia

People also walk and celebrate on the streets where people burned to ashes or suffocated due to the firestorm. It does not help anyone to destroy all still existing basements (by the way, most basements they found are or are going to be destroyed anyway).
Old November 19th, 2013, 08:31 PM   #4170
Tiaren

I didn't say to destroy the basements. I am for preserving them. But it is still creepy as hell. (Even more to relax and party in them).

LuckyLuke liked this post
Old November 19th, 2013, 08:39 PM   #4171
william of waco

Likes (Received): 258

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxonia View Post
People also walk and celebrate on the streets where people burned to ashes or suffocated due to the firestorm. It does not help anyone to destroy all still existing basements (by the way, most basements they found are or are going to be destroyed anyway).
Most of these basements have been covered over since the war. To me they are the equivalent of tombs and to disinter them for the sake of chicness is in bad taste.

Tiaren liked this post
william of waco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2013, 09:31 PM   #4172
durden5573

Likes (Received): 114

Quote:
I totally disagree. Firstly, its a basement, many people die in buildings and we don't destroy them or board them up. You need to remember the loss of life, but you dont need to make every basement a sober place of morning. I think a plaque in remembrance would be nice, but other than that they should be able to use the space in whatever way the city zoning allows.

I would have no problem living in the building or drinking in the basement. Bad stuff happens, best to remember, but get on with living.

Chadoh25, White Light liked this post
durden5573 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2013, 09:57 PM   #4173
bolg

Likes (Received): 758

On the other hand; who can say if the basements in question were death traps or safe havens for families who managed to survive the bombings thanks to them, even though they caved in.
bolg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2013, 10:07 PM   #4174
Tiaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by durden5573 View Post
I totally disagree. Firstly, its a basement, many people die in buildings and we don't destroy them or board them up. You need to remember the loss of life, but you dont need to make every basement a sober place of morning. I think a plaque in remembrance would be nice, but other than that they should be able to use the space in whatever way the city zoning allows.

I would have no problem living in the building or drinking in the basement. Bad stuff happens, best to remember, but get on with living.
Yes, bad stuff happens and in nearly all older houses at least someone died, but these cellars are basically sites of mass murder. Come on, be real, would you buy and live in a house, where you knew, dozens of people died a cruel, violent death? And if you would, what I don't believe, would you make the exact room, where all that happened, your party room?
Again, I'm not saying to destroy the cellars or to not use them at all, I'm just saying, it is creepy and a spa paradise or a bar is highly inappropriate.
Old November 19th, 2013, 11:45 PM   #4175
durden5573

Likes (Received): 114

Quote:
Yes, bad stuff happens and in nearly all older houses at least someone died, but these cellars are basically sites of mass murder. Come on, be real, would you buy and live in a house, where you knew, dozens of people died a cruel, violent death? And if you would, what I don't believe, would you make the exact room, where all that happened, your party room?
Again, I'm not saying to destroy the cellars or to not use them at all, I'm just saying, it is creepy and a spa paradise or a bar is highly inappropriate.
I dont want to hijack this thread, and this is purely my opinion, but there is a difference between a place where "mass murder" occurred with "violent and cruel deaths" and a house that was bombed from the sky where people *may* have died. Most German cities were carpet bombed, I think you would be hard pressed to find a collapsed building in a major city that did not have casualties.

These buildings are completely rebuilt. Only a few basement cellars walls are preserved. Even then there is no evidence people were trapped inside. I love how they have preserved the original basement walls, and no disrespect to the dead, but I would have no problem using the space for a quiet spa or lounge.

As a memorial I would rather a central memorial in Dresden be built to remember those who died during the bombing. Unfortunately Germany has its own identity issues to work out before such a memorial would be politically supported. I think a memorial out in a beautiful public space would be a more fitting gesture for the people who died, then turning all the basements to tombs.

Mruczek, erbse, JValjean liked this post
durden5573 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2013, 11:58 PM   #4176
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5821

del

Last edited by Slartibartfas; November 20th, 2013 at 12:10 AM.
Slartibartfas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2013, 01:41 AM   #4177
Saxonia

Oh, Dresden already has a monument in a "public space", at the Altmarkt. It is absolutely conspicuous.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...ftangriffe.jpg

"Nach den Luftangriffen vom 13. bis 14. Februar 1945 auf Dresden wurden an dieser Stelle die Leichen von 6865 Menschen verbrannt" (After the air raids on Dresden at 13./14h February 1945, the bodies of 6865 people were burnt at this place.

erbse, Photodash liked this post
Saxonia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2013, 02:43 AM   #4178
White Light
Shines in the dark...

Old November 20th, 2013, 04:07 AM   #4179
Sister Greed U

Likes (Received): 14865

Quote:
Originally Posted by william of waco View Post
Indeed. The way they're attempting to give them a feeling of coziness is kind of creepy. They should be filled in.
No, it isn´t creepy!!

If it were so, who on Earth would want to live in or visit places like Jerusalem, who would want to visit the Colosseum in Rome? Millions do.
But places like Jerusalem or the Colosseum in Rome are full of death. You are supposed to go beyond all that, to get over it.
Lots of people died in Dresden, yes. Who will remember them in 150 years, in the year 2163? Not me, I´ll be dead, and you too.
But the basements will be there, more or less like always.
And the façades too, more or less like they were, almost undistinguishable from the original ones.

Don´t pity the dead, pity the living.

JValjean liked this post

Last edited by 437.001; November 20th, 2013 at 04:16 AM.
437.001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2013, 11:59 AM   #4180
pccvspw999

Likes (Received): 1832

Many people had died in the Fire-storm of Dresden, and many inside the basements of the old city. But no one has been buried inside these basements.
This also happened in many cities were Fire-storms occured.

No, I agree, there is nothing creepy in re-using those cellars, even for wellness.

Whom may be interested, I suggest to read this book: Der Tod von Dresden by Axel Rodenberger. That's really creepy.

erbse, White Light, JValjean liked this post

Last edited by pccvspw999; November 20th, 2013 at 12:14 PM.
pccvspw999 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, construction updates, dresden, reconstruction, redevelopment, rekonstrucje, rekonstruktion, sachsen