daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 7th, 2007, 09:26 PM   #401
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

The last photo looks like it the bombings never happened.

Highcliff liked this post
Unionstation13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 7th, 2007, 10:21 PM   #402
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Yep, those buildings are by far the best examples of reconstructions that can be found on the Neumarkt, especially because they didn't decide to go for flat roofs unlike the investors who rebuilt the Hotel de Saxe and the Salomonis-Apotheke.

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."

Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 04:44 AM   #403
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4197

Awesome updates.

Dresden will be the Munich of east Germany.

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 04:09 PM   #404
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Good news for reconstruction fans...the German Bundestag has backed the funding of the Stadtschloss in Berlin. If all goes well, construction should start in 2010.

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."

Old November 9th, 2007, 02:16 AM   #405
Unionstation13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampflamm View Post
Good news for reconstruction fans...the German Bundestag has backed the funding of the Stadtschloss in Berlin. If all goes well, construction should start in 2010.
Hopefully this encourages more reconstructions!

Old November 11th, 2007, 05:55 PM   #406
Grotlaufen

Likes (Received): 171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampflamm View Post
Although it's sometimes really hard to look at pics of German cities before the war. If it wasn't for WW2, Germany could still be one of the if not the most beautiful country in Europe architecture-wise...now it's quite possibly the ugliest.

Yeah, many re-constructions were done in a fast, shoddy way... but Germany being the ugliest country in Europe architecture-wise? I would give that award to those parts of Europe that were least urbanized pre-WW2 and where urbanization happened in a short matter of time in the 1960-70´s (Scandinavia, Balkans etc). In Sweden they tore down almost everything that was in their then-small towns and cities except landmarks like churches and castles, replacing it with the same 60´s-concrete as in rest of Europe. The oldest building in a typical Scandinavian town is often something like a railway station or the church. Nothing survived from the mediaevel ages because of fires etc, hence everything you see is not older than 100-150 years and look like "model houses" that could´ve come from an IKEA-catalogue. It is a big difference if the local construction methods in a place used to be lumber or stones/bricks, wooden towns burnt down, rottened quickly or were replaced with concrete and stone-facades once big-scale urbanization took place. Regions rich enough to afford stones or had to use bricks usually have older buildings that have survived to this day.

Though they may have many ugly towns and cities, the nature is still great in Scandinavia.
Grotlaufen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 10:58 AM   #407
catoneinutica

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotlaufen View Post
Yeah, many re-constructions were done in a fast, shoddy way... but Germany being the ugliest country in Europe architecture-wise? I would give that award to those parts of Europe that were least urbanized pre-WW2 and where urbanization happened in a short matter of time in the 1960-70´s (Scandinavia, Balkans etc). In Sweden they tore down almost everything that was in their then-small towns and cities except landmarks like churches and castles, replacing it with the same 60´s-concrete as in rest of Europe. The oldest building in a typical Scandinavian town is often something like a railway station or the church. Nothing survived from the mediaevel ages because of fires etc, hence everything you see is not older than 100-150 years and look like "model houses" that could´ve come from an IKEA-catalogue. It is a big difference if the local construction methods in a place used to be lumber or stones/bricks, wooden towns burnt down, rottened quickly or were replaced with concrete and stone-facades once big-scale urbanization took place. Regions rich enough to afford stones or had to use bricks usually have older buildings that have survived to this day.

Though they may have many ugly towns and cities, the nature is still great in Scandinavia.
Very interesting comment, and strangely enough, what applies to Scandinavia also applies to Japan: buildings made almost entirely out of wood in the pre-industrial era replaced by typical "commie blocks" in the postwar era. Of course, the firebombing by the US during the war helped speed up the transation, tragically, but the Japanese themselves have proven to be the most relentless destroyers of wooden buildings, even in the historic capital of Kyoto (spared by US bombers), where sometimes a crazy foreigner will buy an old wooden house that a Japanese wouldn't touch with a ten-foot bamboo pole.

PS: speaking of Japanese commie blocks, we were on a guided tour with a bunch of Japanese tourists and, staring into the commie-block nightmare that is the 1980s "New Town" in Bratislava/Pressburg, I commented to an architect in our group, "It looks just like Japan." He conceded it was true.

PPS: again OT, but Japanese houses today are so poorly built that mortgage lenders define them to be "valueless" after 18 years! Kampf, perhaps Germany's ugly postwar architecture shouldn't have been so solidly built!
catoneinutica no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 02:02 PM   #408
ALESSANDRO
MrBlackMagicHimself

Likes (Received): 523

Lest was. Bis zu Ende!
http://www.n24.de/politik/article.php?articleId=167253

"Jak przestałem kochać design" Marcina Wichy
- obowiązkowa lektura dla polskich anarchitektów, projektantów wnęk, kierowników wydziałów architortury w magistratach i...
urbanistów, jeśli nauczyli się w swoim kraju j. polskiego. Polecam!

www.miasto2077.pl

twaardy haardy pyycha
ALESSANDRO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 07:12 PM   #409
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57844

Damn it
The Waldschlösschenbrücke will look just terrible at this location, I still hope somebody in Dresden is able to prevent this bridge!

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 07:37 PM   #410
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

I think it'll be alright. The bridge is decent enough looking and UNESCO doesn't say anything while Chipperfield's raping Berlin's museum island.

Old November 15th, 2007, 10:33 PM   #411
erbse
LIBERTINED

You're absolutely right, it's annoying to see how Crappyfield is destroying Berlins heritage

But I don't really know if I could call a bridge like this 'decent'... I hope they're going to change anything at the details (the lanterns e.g.), in oder to let it look way more classy and filigree than this at least:

Last edited by erbse; November 15th, 2007 at 10:47 PM.
Old November 15th, 2007, 11:40 PM   #412
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

I don't think it's great either but at the end of the day I doubt too many tourists are gonna go to that spot to check out Dresden's skyline. Besides, who the f*ck is UNESCO to tell Dresdeners (they voted for this bridge) what sort of infrastructure projects are ok or not.

Old November 16th, 2007, 12:10 AM   #413
Unionstation13

The bridge is functional, I don't see the problem.
I'v seen nicer bridges, but its just a bridge.

Old November 16th, 2007, 12:22 AM   #414
Ataman
Some user

Likes (Received): 0

If the Dresdeners won't like it, it will be torn down anyway.

-Ataman
Ataman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 02:25 PM   #415
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Kurländer Palais

Quartier III

Schütz-Residenz/Köhlersches Haus (Quartier V/2)

Place where the bay window will be:

Modern part of the Quartier:

Old November 17th, 2007, 02:00 AM   #416
Truva
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Lol there is a Turkey advertisement on the placard

Truva no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2007, 12:28 AM   #417
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Old November 21st, 2007, 05:35 PM   #418
erbse
LIBERTINED

I hate that strange glass terrace on top of this roof:

Why are they disfiguring the reconstructed facade with such an embarrassing structure? Is it just somethin for the pleasure of some yuppies having a barbecue there? I'd be ashamed if the people could watch me doing and spitting on my head then.
At least they could have build something more classy, with sandstone or wood. Glass and steel doesn't have to do anything on the Neumarkt facades, unless for windows maybe
I hope they're tearing it down again as fast they can, or replace it with smth nicer leastwise.

Old November 24th, 2007, 12:08 AM   #419
erbse
LIBERTINED

After the lil' commotion with the glass terrace, it's time to watch some way more worthily progress at the Neumarkt

Quartier III

Quartier V - Heinrich-Schütz_Residenz

An der Frauenkirche (AdF) 16-17 - reconstruction of 2 baroque houses which are quite true to the original, at the Quartier III

Barrel-vault in the cellar

They integrated some original stones of the former houses, which were destroyed in WW2

Great to see so much effort at these reconstructions

Wooden door for AdF 17 - it's yet unfinished and going to be slightly overworked

A morning like some centuries ago, ain't it?

Old November 24th, 2007, 06:25 PM   #420
Unionstation13

I want a front door like that.

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, construction updates, dresden, reconstruction, redevelopment, rekonstrucje, rekonstruktion, sachsen