daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 7th, 2013, 11:41 AM   #4281
Mruczek
Warrior of Excel

Likes (Received): 13455

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian urbanist View Post
It was definitely easier to implement Grids in America due to the fact that the country was measured before the cities were built. Therefore, there are many griddy places, whereas European cities did almost always exist before accurate maps were drawn(this happened mostly in the 18th and 19th century)
Middle Ages are called Dark Ages for a reason, but c'mon, our forefathers were able to measure 90-degree angle in 12th century
Barcelona Budapeszt Grodno Kowno Madryt Moskwa Ukraina

rychlik liked this post
Mruczek está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 7th, 2013, 06:59 PM   #4282
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57847

Sure. But I'm glad they didn't care too much about 90° angles at all, I love the smooth, organic and romantic alleys of our European old towns. Dresden is luckily restoring some of this charme.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2013, 07:41 PM   #4283
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1677

Quote:
It was definitely easier to implement Grids in America due to the fact that the country was measured before the cities were built. Therefore, there are many griddy places, whereas European cities did almost always exist before accurate maps were drawn(this happened mostly in the 18th and 19th century)
Exactly correct. Excellent point.

In my opinion, one of the best ways to see the grid pattern in real time is to fly into O'Hare Airport in Chicago on a clear night. The vast grid of perfectly placed streets and lights is an awesome sight. Of course it was more lovely with the former mercury vapor bluish-green lights than the new sodium vapor orange glow.
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2013, 09:48 PM   #4284
socrates#1fan

Likes (Received): 1318

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mruczek View Post
Middle Ages are called Dark Ages for a reason, but c'mon, our forefathers were able to measure 90-degree angle in 12th century
Yeah, they're called the "dark ages" because Petrarch was an arrogant douche.

"I don’t know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there."-Kurt Vonnegut
socrates#1fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2013, 09:54 PM   #4285
socrates#1fan

Quote:
This is very true. Most American cities are from either the 18th, or early 19th century, and many of these cities were built in areas where creating grids was the most practical.

However, there are a handful of US cities that followed the same pattern of development as the motherland, as Boston exhibits.

"I don’t know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there."-Kurt Vonnegut

erbse, JValjean liked this post
Old December 8th, 2013, 09:27 AM   #4286
Sapere Aude

Likes (Received): 1895

Quote:
Many towns of Central Europe, to the east of Elbe and Saale, are planned cities with grids built on uncultivated land (beside earlier settlements), just like American cities. The same is true for many mining towns, like Freudenstadt or Marienberg. Maybe they hadn't accurate maps in the Middle Ages, but they could measure distances and 90-degree angles.

Mruczek liked this post

Last edited by Sapere Aude; December 8th, 2013 at 09:39 AM.
Sapere Aude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2013, 08:44 PM   #4287
WhiteMagick
Moderator - Επιτηρητής

Striezelmarkt 2013

Source: http://www.dresdner-bauten.com/

如果希腊国民继续信阴谋论,外资救世主的,不为自己的行为负责, 他们会灭亡。

人は何かの犠牲なしに何も得ることはできない。何かを得るためには同等の代価が必要になる。それが、生活における等価交換の原則だ。その頃僕らは、それが世界の真実だと信じていた。時間は、最も貴重な資源である。だから、誰の時間もあなたは無駄にしてはいけないし、誰もが他の人の時間を無駄にしないでください。

Kampflamm, erbse, Tiaren, durden5573, Mruczek and 4 others liked this post
WhiteMagick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2013, 01:43 PM   #4288
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."

cilindr0 liked this post
Kampflamm está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2013, 10:19 AM   #4289
WhiteMagick
Moderator - Επιτηρητής

Archäologische Grabungen Landhausstraße/Friesengasse im Quartier IV/3

http://www.bausituation-dresden.de/

如果希腊国民继续信阴谋论,外资救世主的,不为自己的行为负责, 他们会灭亡。

人は何かの犠牲なしに何も得ることはできない。何かを得るためには同等の代価が必要になる。それが、生活における等価交換の原則だ。その頃僕らは、それが世界の真実だと信じていた。時間は、最も貴重な資源である。だから、誰の時間もあなたは無駄にしてはいけないし、誰もが他の人の時間を無駄にしないでください。

Kampflamm, Chadoh25 liked this post
WhiteMagick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2013, 12:47 PM   #4290
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Man, that teal piece of shit really has to go...

Also tried looking at juwel-dresden.de and sure enough the site doesn't exist.

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."
Old December 19th, 2013, 04:46 PM   #4291
socrates#1fan

Am I the only one bothered by the increasing amount of modernist structures in these "reconstructions"?

NUMERATZI, CF221, rychlik liked this post
Old December 19th, 2013, 04:54 PM   #4292
keepthepast

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates#1fan View Post
Am I the only one bothered by the increasing amount of modernist structures in these "reconstructions"?
No, you're one among many.

That said, we're living in an entire world dominated and controlled by the internationalist architectural religion of modernism.

It's nearly impossible to find designers who draw from the past, even when the goal is to recreate it. When a project like the Neumarkt is even close to being acceptable, it's a major win. The basic shape, height, footprint, and roof lines of "reconstructions" while modern in feel, tend to integrate and far better than the modern cubes of characterless boxes build everywhere else.
Old December 19th, 2013, 04:59 PM   #4293
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Well, the buildings I posted in post # 4288 were never slated to be reconstructed along historical lines anyway, seeing as the buildings that were there before 1945 were hardly anything to write home about either. I don't have a problem with modern additions as long as they're not any duller than their predecessors. That next project (Frieseneck) certainly comes close to breaching that guideline but I'm willing to give it a pass.

Batavier, Roman_P liked this post
Old December 27th, 2013, 08:33 PM   #4294
photolitherland

Likes (Received): 956

I used to not be able to wait to check this thread out to see all the beautiful reconstructions but as of late I dread looking at this thread to see what horrible modernist shit they are building. Its really a shame and I am greatly disappointed in what the architects and planners have done.
Old December 27th, 2013, 08:57 PM   #4295
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

It might be just your perception, that the projects get worse (there's also a lot of talk and pictures of the ugly Kulturpalast in here recently.) Actually, the rate of faithful reconstructions got higher in recent years, compared to the beginning of the whole Neumarkt project. The modern additions now mostly integrate better as well, imho.
And you musn't forget, that Quarter VI and Quarter VII, which are next in line, will probably be some of the most beautiful quarters, with the highest recontruction rate to date:

Old December 27th, 2013, 09:03 PM   #4296
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

I agree. In a sense the best is yet to come. Let's not forget Palais Hoym either...

Tiaren, durden5573 liked this post
Old December 27th, 2013, 09:10 PM   #4297
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

And Hotel Stadt Rom, which was finally confirmed to be reconstructed like this:

Chadoh25, White Light, durden5573 liked this post
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2013, 09:32 PM   #4298
keepthepast

I think Photolitherland may also be reacting to the impression from tangential discussions that most of the rest of Dresden's rebuilding is modernist. It is.

Step outside the Neumarkt, even into the Altmarkt, and one can easily see the missed opportunity that the clean slate offered just a few years ago presented. Dresden, like Berlin, could have been reborn into its full former architectural glory. But the Neumarkt is an island in what will ultimately be seen an a modernist metropolis of mediocre miseries.
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2013, 09:39 PM   #4299
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Quote:
Dresden, like Berlin, could have been reborn into its full former architectural glory.
Are we talking about the same Berlin that is full of bland 90s buildings? Don't get me wrong, I like some of the modern additions to the capital but it's hardly a shining example of historical reconstructions.

erbse, rychlik liked this post
Old December 28th, 2013, 01:08 AM   #4300
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57847

The question is whether the above statement says that both Dresden and Berlin should have been more faithfully reconstructed - or if keepthepast means what you responded to.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, construction updates, dresden, reconstruction, redevelopment, rekonstrucje, rekonstruktion, sachsen