daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 24th, 2014, 12:06 PM   #4361
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57898

Aerial views of the central Dresden area around Neumarkt - we're finally getting a glimpse of a real old town again:

ooo

Source: www.fotos-aus-der-luft.de

As you can see, they're a little older, the quarter next to the Royal Residence wasn't finished yet.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 24th, 2014, 12:25 PM   #4362
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57898

Dresden from above again - in motion:

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2014, 02:21 PM   #4363
william of waco

Likes (Received): 258

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
^ Some of them were proposed to be integrated in the reconstructions. I think this was mentioned before.
I remember reading that some of the basements have already been integrated. I was referring to actual items discovered during the excavations. I'm curious if they find artifacts that are very old as well as things left behind by the people who died in them. Something similar to what they found in Stralsund:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...29&postcount=3
william of waco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2014, 04:44 PM   #4364
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1677

Quote:
Originally Posted by william of waco View Post
I remember reading that some of the basements have already been integrated. I was referring to actual items discovered during the excavations. I'm curious if they find artifacts that are very old as well as things left behind by the people who died in them. Something similar to what they found in Stralsund:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...29&postcount=3
yes, I have tried to find this out as well. Unless those cellars were previously excavated and paved over after the war, there must be much buried, including human remains.
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2014, 01:01 PM   #4365
WhiteMagick
Moderator - Επιτηρητής

Palais am Neumarkt/ Eckhaus Rampischestr. - Stand 18.02.2014

http://www.dresdner-bauten.com/

如果希腊国民继续信阴谋论,外资救世主的,不为自己的行为负责, 他们会灭亡。

人は何かの犠牲なしに何も得ることはできない。何かを得るためには同等の代価が必要になる。それが、生活における等価交換の原則だ。その頃僕らは、それが世界の真実だと信じていた。時間は、最も貴重な資源である。だから、誰の時間もあなたは無駄にしてはいけないし、誰もが他の人の時間を無駄にしないでください。
WhiteMagick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2014, 01:04 PM   #4366
WhiteMagick
Moderator - Επιτηρητής

Aussichtsplattform Dreikönigskirche

http://www.bausituation-dresden.de/

人は何かの犠牲なしに何も得ることはできない。何かを得るためには同等の代価が必要になる。それが、生活における等価交換の原則だ。その頃僕らは、それが世界の真実だと信じていた。時間は、最も貴重な資源である。だから、誰の時間もあなたは無駄にしてはいけないし、誰もが他の人の時間を無駄にしないでください。
Old March 2nd, 2014, 03:23 PM   #4367
JohnnyMass
Whatever

Likes (Received): 1493

Man, those commies on Hauptstrasse are such an eyesore. They need to be demolished asap...

erbse, G Hansel, Chrissib, Max BGF, Chadoh25 and 2 others liked this post
JohnnyMass no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2014, 03:35 PM   #4368
mhjo
mhji

Likes (Received): 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMass View Post
Man, those commies on Hauptstrasse are such an eyesore. They need to be demolished asap...
Those parts of Hauptsrasse could easely be recontructed.
mhjo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2014, 03:47 PM   #4369
JohnnyMass
Whatever

Likes (Received): 1493

Of course they could. You just have to have will and money!
Old March 2nd, 2014, 04:20 PM   #4370
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18268

Don't people live inside them?
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2014, 08:55 PM   #4371
keepthepast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
Don't people live inside them?
the upper levels are housing, mostly, and the lower levels are commercial. Doesn't matter, though, people move constantly all over the world when their buildings go through renovation or rebuilding or tear down and not replaced.
Old March 9th, 2014, 05:01 PM   #4372
WhiteMagick
Moderator - Επιτηρητής

Impressionen Neumarkt Dresden - Ende Februar 2014

http://www.dresdner-bauten.com/

Old March 13th, 2014, 09:43 AM   #4373
MettP

Likes (Received): 61

It's amazing that hey have got so many nice houses rebuilt, but as long as there remain these terrible prefabs and especially buildings like that horrible ugly eyeshore boxy thing on north of Altmark, they can do anything and it won't help
MettP no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2014, 10:07 PM   #4374
bolg

Likes (Received): 759

Quote:
Originally Posted by MettP View Post
It's amazing that hey have got so many nice houses rebuilt, but as long as there remain these terrible prefabs and especially buildings like that horrible ugly eyeshore boxy thing on north of Altmark, they can do anything and it won't help
Honestly, those boxes aren't nearly as irritating as the fact that the architects & planners aren't fully embracing the opportunity to recreate all of Neumarkt. Talk about repeating past mistakes when they sneak modernist designs into the streetscape or rebuild with flat roofs.

SonOfThomp, keepthepast, rychlik, Max BGF liked this post
bolg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2014, 01:08 AM   #4375
Autostädter

Likes (Received): 994

There could be more buildings reconstructed. On the other side, the newly designed buildings integrate quite well in my opinion. They are not trying to create any contrasts. I guess the reason is to make visible that there has been war damage and not to pretend nothing happened in the meantime. Or maybe they are doing it because they feel guilty for constructing such a beautiful ensemble

keepthepast liked this post
Autostädter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2014, 06:21 AM   #4376
keepthepast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autostädter View Post
There could be more buildings reconstructed. On the other side, the newly designed buildings integrate quite well in my opinion. They are not trying to create any contrasts. I guess the reason is to make visible that there has been war damage and not to pretend nothing happened in the meantime. Or maybe they are doing it because they feel guilty for constructing such a beautiful ensemble
Oh the German post-1945 self-flagellation emotion. No wonder the market for whips and chains.
Old March 14th, 2014, 07:18 PM   #4377
dlamoureux

Likes (Received): 8

The modern additions to Neumarkt are within human scale and fitted into the old streetscape. Remember....the whole area was a pasture for sheep for 50 years and ruin. The citizens are thankful just for their city back. The mix of styles is amazing and a pleasure to walk around. Once the ugly DDR stuff is gone (which will take time), I hope the city will return the old streetscape throughout the town.
Old March 18th, 2014, 04:58 AM   #4378
fish_heads

Likes (Received): 6

so will patina actually form on these, or are the building materials too new and disallow it?

it's been quite a while on some of the older reconstructions, and they don't seem to be changeing at all.

shame if they don't, they look nice but rather look like plastic dollhouses at the moment.

keepthepast liked this post
fish_heads no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2014, 05:38 AM   #4379
keepthepast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_heads View Post
so will patina actually form on these, or are the building materials too new and disallow it?

it's been quite a while on some of the older reconstructions, and they don't seem to be changeing at all.

shame if they don't, they look nice but rather look like plastic dollhouses at the moment.
Good question. The new building materials are often created to not weather and denigrate as the more natural supplies of former times. In addition, the conditions that created the old looks over the past hundreds of years included forms of air pollution that no longer exists, mostly coal dust. Lastly, many of the images we have of the old structures are black and white or sepia which give an interesting impression of the facades' appearance. However, some color photos of the Neumarkt pre 1945 with a totally black Frauenkirche are not so pleasing.

So, I think the answer is 'it remains to be seen'. I suspect modern materials, paint, finishes, and cleaning will keep the current appearances for quite a long time.
Old March 19th, 2014, 12:30 AM   #4380
fish_heads

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepthepast View Post
I suspect modern materials, paint, finishes, and cleaning will keep the current appearances for quite a long time.
that's somewhat of a shame... pollution is bad of course, and there's still the issue of acid forming in clouds and dissolving materials, but a little bit of natural 'grime' outlining the shapes can really add contrast to a building and give it that pleasing texture that older structures have.

on an urelated note, does anyone know of any landscaping plans? the platz could really benefit from a few trees
fish_heads no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, construction updates, dresden, reconstruction, redevelopment, rekonstrucje, rekonstruktion, sachsen