daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 17th, 2014, 10:18 PM   #4481
WhiteMagick
Moderator - Επιτηρητής

Umbau Kulturpalast + Impressionen vom Neumarkt

http://www.bausituation-dresden.de/

如果希腊国民继续信阴谋论,外资救世主的,不为自己的行为负责, 他们会灭亡。

人は何かの犠牲なしに何も得ることはできない。何かを得るためには同等の代価が必要になる。それが、生活における等価交換の原則だ。その頃僕らは、それが世界の真実だと信じていた。時間は、最も貴重な資源である。だから、誰の時間もあなたは無駄にしてはいけないし、誰もが他の人の時間を無駄にしないでください。

Jasper90, durden5573, Batavier, erbse, BringMe liked this post
WhiteMagick no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 18th, 2014, 04:49 AM   #4482
RaymondHood
Retired Mohawk Ironworker

Likes (Received): 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMagick View Post
What activities go on in the newly-built 6-8 story buildings --
housing? offices? maybe some are small hotels? something else?

If residences, what income level do they serve?
Have they been rented/sold? are they even occupied yet?
Other than tourists, these shots seem so underpopulated.
RaymondHood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2014, 05:03 PM   #4483
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1677

Unfortunately, the former (before 1945) usages of the Neumarkt will not be too similar. It heavily included multiple rental spaces for private housing, along with shops that residential areas need--butchers, clothing, cleaners, tailors, etc. It was a vibrant area with tons of people/pedestrian traffic.

The new spaces will have much few rental units, I am told. Some high end, expensive "condos" as well as office space will make up much of the upper floors. Ground floors will largely be retail; more of what we see now in the completed areas. The hotels already there--Taschenbergpalais, Swissotel, Innside, Steigenberger, Hilton, and more--seem plenty; I would be surprised if any more go in the new Quarters.
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2014, 06:44 PM   #4484
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57898

There definitely will be more hotels, since there's enough demand.

But I think the mix of usages would be very similar today, if Dresden survived the bombing. At least that's what you can tell easily by experiencing other such very central and important old town areas across Europe. I mean, have a look at the core of Venice, there's hardly anyone living anymore.

Many of them have a kind of open air museum feeling, in both bad and good ways.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2014, 10:43 AM   #4485
RaymondHood
Retired Mohawk Ironworker

Likes (Received): 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
I mean, have a look at the core of Venice, there's hardly anyone living anymore.

Isn't that because rents are so outrageously expensive there?
RaymondHood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2014, 11:31 AM   #4486
erbse
LIBERTINED

That's part of the reason, as in many old towns. Another factor might be there's so many freaking tourists around you that you hardly feel like a Venetian. And then there's also the rather high maintenance costs which is a strain especially in Venice, with the salty Adria water all around. It doesn't smell all that nice in the summer, either.

Poor rich city...

Old June 20th, 2014, 06:51 PM   #4487
Jasper90
Unità

Likes (Received): 12105

Quote:
There definitely will be more hotels, since there's enough demand.

But I think the mix of usages would be very similar today, if Dresden survived the bombing. At least that's what you can tell easily by experiencing other such very central and important old town areas across Europe. I mean, have a look at the core of Venice, there's hardly anyone living anymore.

Many of them have a kind of open air museum feeling, in both bad and good ways.
Hey, there's 60,000 people living in Venice centre and 30,000 living in surrounding islands!
And the city is expanging its university, attracting a lot more students than before.

It's true, Venice centre had 160,000 inhabitants 60 years ago. But my mom used to live in an apartment with 12 people
Same for my dad, there were 10 people in his home. And ground floors were inhabited too, with huge risk for flooding and terrible humidity.
Venice is a lot more lively and healthy than someone can think from outside! And I know it quite well, since I'm one of those 60,000

Quote:
That's part of the reason, as in many old towns. Another factor might be there's so many freaking tourists around you that you hardly feel like a Venetian. And then there's also the rather high maintenance costs which is a strain especially in Venice, with the salty Adria water all around. It doesn't smell all that nice in the summer, either.

Poor rich city...
There's a special chapter in the Italian state budget, specifically giving money for Venice maintenance (it's called "special law for Venice"). It's meant to cover the different cost of maintenance between a normal building and a Venetian building, even if it's not enough.

Sorry for the OT, I just wished to give a broader picture of my city

Going back on topic: are some of the newly reconstructed buildings used for public services? E.g.: city hall, library, public offices, schools and whatever else.

Please visit my thread, and feel free to ask any question :) don't forget to subscribe!

Wawrzyniec Senes, JValjean, Union.SLO liked this post
Jasper90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2014, 06:12 PM   #4488
SonOfThomp

Likes (Received): 226

This is a very lovely view. It's almost a shame that it is temporary.

BringMe liked this post
SonOfThomp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2014, 01:46 AM   #4489
erbse
LIBERTINED

Dresden's Forum Romanum. Just not that eternal.

SonOfThomp liked this post
Old June 27th, 2014, 08:10 AM   #4490
TimothyR
Ike

Likes (Received): 2085

Dresden is in a state of constant transformation because of the construction and renovation. Of course it looks somewhat empty.

In ten years it will likely look quite different: active and alive throughout the area that is now being reclaimed.

“In keeping silent about evil, in burying it so deep within us that no sign of it appears on the surface, we are implanting it, and it will rise up a thousand fold in the future. When we neither punish nor reproach evildoers we are thereby ripping the foundations of justice from beneath new generations.”

“The meaning of earthly existence lies not, as we have grown used to thinking, in prospering but in the development of the soul.”
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

"We are more closely connected to the invisible than to the visible"

-Novalis

djole13 liked this post
TimothyR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2014, 01:43 PM   #4491
erbse
LIBERTINED

I wouldn't expect too much hustle bustle on the Neumarkt area in this decade. Of course you'll always find many tourists and a few regulars. But frankly Dresden's old town core is somewhat insular. You'll find mostly commieblock-like structures for housing in the center surrounding it, and only a few of them. Old Dresden was virtually wiped out. The urban quarters mingle around the center.

Dresden is booming, but it still takes time until it really reaches the for now rather unattractive central area. It'll probably get densified more throughout the years to come though, with some residential developments already going up at Prager Strasse (the shopping street connecting the Central Station and old town).

Old June 27th, 2014, 02:09 PM   #4492
novaguy
novaguy

Likes (Received): 19

What is being built on the ruined foundations in the picture above?
novaguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2014, 09:37 PM   #4493
TimothyR
Ike

Likes (Received): 2085

Dresden will be an ideal city for business conferences and events. It is a medium sized city of great historical, cultural and historical interest, but it is not a very crowded tourist center at this time.

I know there are many posters here who have understandable complaints about the reconstruction, but for a visitor the restored Neumarkt and the many churches, monuments and civic buildings are quite stunning and beautiful. The Frauenkirche alone is a reason to visit. Try to imagine what it is like for someone to see the Elbe panorama for the first time. It is quite magnificent.

Dresden has excellent, high quality hotels - but they are not all expensive. The prices vary. There are small hotels in the Neustadt that are very reasonably priced. Also the extensive construction and restoration assures a high level of quality in the venues.

Leipzig and Prague are in close proximity (by the standards of business travel). Vienna and Berlin are accessible by short flights. Even London is reasonably close. I don't know how large Dresden's airport is. But that should not be a problem.

Germany is at the center of Europe again and will continue to grow as an economic power. It is the financial engine of the EU. There will likely be another worldwide economic boom in the next decade, and central Europe will benefit as Poland, Hungary, the Czech republic, the Baltic states and other nations will experience rising living standards.

Dresden is well placed to provide facilities for businesses and conferences of different types in the future. As Berlin grows rapidly, the other cities in the former eastern part of Germany will grow in importance. Dresden has the appeal of a city without the huge crowds and activity of a major national capital. That makes it very appealing for business.

“In keeping silent about evil, in burying it so deep within us that no sign of it appears on the surface, we are implanting it, and it will rise up a thousand fold in the future. When we neither punish nor reproach evildoers we are thereby ripping the foundations of justice from beneath new generations.”

“The meaning of earthly existence lies not, as we have grown used to thinking, in prospering but in the development of the soul.”
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

"We are more closely connected to the invisible than to the visible"

-Novalis

erbse, keepthepast liked this post
TimothyR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2014, 03:36 AM   #4494
Judge Roy Beam

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiaren View Post
Libeskind's extension of the Military Museum is imho a really great and impressive piece of architecture! Or should I say piece of art?

image hosted on flickr
I too would describe that as a piece of something, but "art" isn't the word that I'd use
Old June 29th, 2014, 07:01 AM   #4495
william of waco

Likes (Received): 258

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyR View Post
Dresden is in a state of constant transformation because of the construction and renovation. Of course it looks somewhat empty.

In ten years it will likely look quite different: active and alive throughout the area that is now being reclaimed.
I wonder how many descendents of the pre-war citizens will return to Dresden and live in these rebuilt neighborhoods. Or will the majority be those who move there because Dresden is currently the "it" place to live in.
william of waco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2014, 12:50 PM   #4496
bavarian urbanist
Verdens Beste

Likes (Received): 647

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Roy Beam View Post
I too would describe that as a piece of something, but "art" isn't the word that I'd use
Well, it's the museum of war and without the libeskind scar, the building would be far to heroic for that purpose. Plus, it is art.

SonOfThomp liked this post
bavarian urbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2014, 02:01 PM   #4497
socrates#1fan

Likes (Received): 1318

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian urbanist View Post
Well, it's the museum of war and without the libeskind scar, the building would be far to heroic for that purpose. Plus, it is art.
No, it is a monument to his ego and his incredible amount of arrogance (unfounded arrogance). He is a modernist with dogmatic belief about art. A deconstructionist attitude (an attitude that is useless and destructive to the formation of cities).

He butchered and violated a historical building in Dresden, a city that has already lost so much of its historical architecture. Of course no one complained for fear of looking "unsophisticated" (the emperor’s new clothes no doubt) and now a beautiful classical building has a ridiculous and pointless shard that people only tried to justify with "war" and "scar" after the matter.

It is a failure of architecture and in the future people will look around at all this terrible modernist buildings and go "what the hell were our ancestors thinking?" before they take them down with the wrecking ball.

It being art does not justify it having been built. It still looks like shit.

"I don’t know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there."-Kurt Vonnegut

Rohne, TimothyR, erbse, Kim André, Nõgesh and 4 others liked this post
socrates#1fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2014, 02:07 PM   #4498
Batavier
"Covfefe" ??? Enjoy!

Likes (Received): 831

I think it looks awesome.

Old June 29th, 2014, 02:30 PM   #4499
freeksregistration

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates#1fan View Post
No, it is a monument to his ego and his incredible amount of arrogance (unfounded arrogance). He is a modernist with dogmatic belief about art. A deconstructionist attitude (an attitude that is useless and destructive to the formation of cities).

He butchered and violated a historical building in Dresden, a city that has already lost so much of its historical architecture. Of course no one complained for fear of looking "unsophisticated" (the emperor’s new clothes no doubt) and now a beautiful classical building has a ridiculous and pointless shard that people only tried to justify with "war" and "scar" after the matter.

It is a failure of architecture and in the future people will look around at all this terrible modernist buildings and go "what the hell were our ancestors thinking?" before they take them down with the wrecking ball.

COULDN'T AGREE MORE!!

437.001 liked this post
freeksregistration no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2014, 02:46 PM   #4500
bavarian urbanist
Verdens Beste

Likes (Received): 647

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates#1fan View Post
No, it is a monument to his ego and his incredible amount of arrogance (unfounded arrogance). He is a modernist with dogmatic belief about art.

Calling a piece of art one doesn't quite like shit is surely not an expression of a dogmatic view of art...

And as you can see in the photos, the scar doesn't really intrude into the building. It's only built over and around it and may be dismantled within a short period of time.

Tolbert liked this post
bavarian urbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, construction updates, dresden, reconstruction, redevelopment, rekonstrucje, rekonstruktion, sachsen