daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 29th, 2014, 02:59 PM   #4501
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Likes (Received): 8161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Roy Beam View Post
I too would describe that as a piece of something, but "art" isn't the word that I'd use
It's a two-a-penny neo-classical building, but now it's something special.

RaymondHood liked this post
El_Greco no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 29th, 2014, 03:36 PM   #4502
Mruczek
Warrior of Excel

Likes (Received): 13455

This is so ugly that it's pretty
Barcelona Budapeszt Grodno Kowno Madryt Moskwa Ukraina
Mruczek está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2014, 04:52 PM   #4503
Chimer
friendly gargoyle

Likes (Received): 2487

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batavier View Post
I think it looks awesome.
There could be different opinions about this, but I don't understand why historical building should suffer from such experiments.

You would like to play with mix of classical and deconstructivism? Fine, I even believe it could look well sometimes. But first you design and built this neo-classical building, and after it you can add whatever you want to your own creation, but please don't touch what was done before you, and done well.

Why this architect don't do like this? May be 'cause it's impossible to almost every modern architect to build decent neoclassical building? They are learned only to play with their Lego boxes, they can't even draw good column...

If some modern "artist" draw his crooked boxes on the Goya's or van Gogh's paintings, some people think it is "art" as well. I consider it as vandalism. Same with this building.

erbse, Photodash liked this post
Chimer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2014, 11:22 PM   #4504
socrates#1fan

Likes (Received): 1318

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Greco View Post
It's a two-a-penny neo-classical building, but now it's something special.

Before little Susie got her face burned, she was just a two-a-penny kid, now she's special!

"I don’t know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there."-Kurt Vonnegut
socrates#1fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2014, 11:29 PM   #4505
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates#1fan View Post
Before little Susie got her face burned, she was just a two-a-penny kid, now she's special!
That is supposed to be an argument? It's a run of the mill building, there's nothing special or interesting or even beautiful about it whatsoever. Now it is special. Now it is an icon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimer View Post
If some modern "artist" draw his crooked boxes on the Goya's or van Gogh's paintings, some people think it is "art" as well. I consider it as vandalism. Same with this building.
Shit analogy. Goya sits in a museum frozen in time. It was intended to hang on the wall forever somewhere. Urban realm is different. It changes. Buildings are demolished, added to, upgraded and repaired. The building in question is macneo-classical. Something you walk past without even noticing. Now people will stop and look, they will take photos, they will discuss it and maybe will be inspired to study architecture. Win.

Batavier, RaymondHood liked this post

Last edited by El_Greco; June 29th, 2014 at 11:54 PM.
Old June 30th, 2014, 12:24 AM   #4506
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57847

Frankly, the Libeskind addition helped the Bundeswehr Museum in Dresden a little to get off the ground. They could dismantle it later on. It's a solitary building, so for this example I have ambivalent feelings. It's intruding, yes. But I've seen it in person and somehow liked it after a while, actually.

Dresden still has more of these former barracks btw, perhaps that's why it doesn't feel like a "lost building" at all.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Tolbert liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2014, 07:17 PM   #4507
photolitherland

Likes (Received): 956

Quote:

That is effing horrifying. Modernism is a plague upon humanity. Kill it with fire now please.
Old June 30th, 2014, 07:23 PM   #4508
sergionni

Likes (Received): 443

Quote:

aggressive for no reason. kinda superficial attempt to merge old and new, but ok libeskind always goes for cheap sensationalism, that is expected , but of course there are better examples of how this should be done

socrates#1fan liked this post
sergionni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2014, 07:27 PM   #4509
socrates#1fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Greco View Post
That is supposed to be an argument? It's a run of the mill building, there's nothing special or interesting or even beautiful about it whatsoever. Now it is special. Now it is an icon.
It is a very juvenile to believe that being unique automatically makes something good.

Quote:

Shit analogy. Goya sits in a museum frozen in time. It was intended to hang on the wall forever somewhere. Urban realm is different. It changes. Buildings are demolished, added to, upgraded and repaired. The building in question is macneo-classical. Something you walk past without even noticing. Now people will stop and look, they will take photos, they will discuss it and maybe will be inspired to study architecture. Win.
Really? How many neoclassical buildings are they building these days? Last time I checked, not many (and reconstructions don't count), in part because of the modernist crusade against anything that isn't a pile of glass shards.

"I don’t know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there."-Kurt Vonnegut

Wiederschönmachung liked this post
Old June 30th, 2014, 07:54 PM   #4510
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates#1fan View Post
It is a very juvenile to believe that being unique automatically makes something good.
Yawn. Cut down on insults.

No one said that, but in this case it is good because it is unique. Without Libeskinds addition it would be just another macneo-classical building that people don't even notice.

Quote:
Really? How many neoclassical buildings are they building these days? Last time I checked, not many (and reconstructions don't count), in part because of the modernist crusade against anything that isn't a pile of glass shards.
Totally right. Today's architects spend their careers scheming and plotting against people with 'good taste' and get off on demolishing the old stuff...or much more likely that the times have changed and tastes with them. I like my glass shards and judging by popularity of this forum so do many, many people.

Last edited by El_Greco; June 30th, 2014 at 08:23 PM.
Old June 30th, 2014, 09:14 PM   #4511
Geography

Likes (Received): 103

Quote:
This is horrifying. What the heck was the city thinking in allowing this? "You know what this is amazing traditional building needs? A black steel shard on it. Yes, that will improve it."

I can't begin to express my shock and disappointment with that decision.
Geography no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2014, 09:29 PM   #4512
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57847

The city of Dresden didn't really have a say there, it has been owned by the army for a while, the Bundeswehr.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2014, 10:58 PM   #4513
Kim André
The Norwegian

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian urbanist View Post
Calling a piece of art one doesn't quite like shit is surely not an expression of a dogmatic view of art...
The question is whether it's the artist or the viewer who is in their right to define something as art or as utter junk.

You might call it art, some of us might call it sh*t.

But if anything is arrogant and dogmatic, it sure is the indisputable claim that "since I am an artist by definition, anything I do should be considered a piece of art".

They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Thus, the beholder should decide. Some find it beautiful (or stylish if you like), others find it butt ugly.

Like socrates#1fan here, I consider this "piece of art" to be architectural rape of the worst kind, but I won't deny you your right to call it art if you like.

But calling something like this sh*t and vandalism does not equal saying "I don't like this piece of art". So that's where I need to arrest you. He is not expressing his views on this "piece of art" - he is dismissing it as art all together. Thus, it is wrong of you to be talking about this being just another dogmatic view on art comparable to that of Libeskind. It's not art at all - it's vandalism.

BTW, interesting that this discussion goes on and on forever... I'm pretty sure it's been several months since last time I visited this thread...

Tolbert liked this post
Kim André no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2014, 11:53 PM   #4514
MRouchell
MRouchell

Likes (Received): 235

Quote:

No talent necessary; just an absolute disdain for beautiful, historic, classical buildings.

socrates#1fan liked this post
MRouchell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2014, 12:52 AM   #4515
KingmanIII

Likes (Received): 414

Hey, things could always be much worse; imagine what Gehry would've done to it...

Tolbert liked this post
KingmanIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2014, 01:13 AM   #4516
Kevlargeist

Likes (Received): 879

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography View Post
This is horrifying. What the heck was the city thinking in allowing this? "You know what this is amazing traditional building needs? A black steel shard on it. Yes, that will improve it."

I can't begin to express my shock and disappointment with that decision.
What's exactly amazing about that building? Yea it's traditional and neoclassical, doesn't make it amazing. One neoclassical drop in the ocean of neoclassical blandness.

It's a museum and needs visitors. You wouldn't prolly even know about it if it didn't look as quirky as it does now.

RaymondHood liked this post
Kevlargeist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2014, 01:28 AM   #4517
socrates#1fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevlargeist View Post
What's exactly amazing about that building? Yea it's traditional and neoclassical, doesn't make it amazing. One neoclassical drop in the ocean of neoclassical blandness.

It's a museum and needs visitors. You wouldn't prolly even know about it if it didn't look as quirky as it does now.

Neoclassical buildings are limited in their numbers. They aren't exactly building them everywhere. People who live around them become used to them and sometimes blind to how fortunate they are.

People do not appreciate the architecture they have until it is gone. You should take a look at what that attitude did to American cities in the 20th century. You wouldn't even recognize them.

These modernist structures age terribly and are born out of an urge to appear cool or as monuments to a starchitect's ego. Meanwhile, these "bland" neoclassical buildings age with grace and retain their aesthetic value through history, long enough for some arrogant fool to deface them.

These neoclassical buildings will be beautiful long after you and I and everyone alive right now is dead. The modernist building will lose its relevance and “coolness” as a new fad replaces the old.

Wiederschönmachung liked this post
Old July 1st, 2014, 01:37 AM   #4518
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

In your opinion. Some of us can actually appreciate both old and new.

Kevlargeist, LuckyLuke liked this post
Old July 1st, 2014, 02:16 AM   #4519
RaymondHood
Retired Mohawk Ironworker

Likes (Received): 336

The old building is nothing special, jsut a formulaic revival design with an unconvincing bit of a false front at its center top.
Liebeskind's intervention makes it a lot more interesting.

Quote:

RaymondHood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2014, 02:58 AM   #4520
Sister Greed U

Likes (Received): 14866

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian urbanist View Post
Calling a piece of art one doesn't quite like shit is surely not an expression of a dogmatic view of art...

And as you can see in the photos, the scar doesn't really intrude into the building. It's only built over and around it and may be dismantled within a short period of time.
Hopefully it will.

I don´t like post-Bauhaus architecture mixing with older architecture.

They just don´t mix well.

I love contemporary architecture, but on its own, and as far away from old stuff as possible.

erbse liked this post
437.001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, construction updates, dresden, reconstruction, redevelopment, rekonstrucje, rekonstruktion, sachsen