daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 18th, 2015, 08:04 PM   #4761
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57899

We won't have the bombing discussion again, b**** please!

It was a horrid time and a horrible event. We won't look for guilt here, times move on. Dresden is building a part of its future from its great history, and we should involve anyone to help and appreciate.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 19th, 2015, 12:34 AM   #4762
Goy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 154

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian urbanist View Post
I don't think one can call a strategic bombing done by the Royal Air Force a "terror attack". It was war, after all, and one that Germany started.

If anybody was guilty of the Dresden air raids, it was the Nazis and Hitler, but definitely not the Allied Forces.
I don't agree with you, because Dresden was not a strategical city. There was no militar industry there. Only civilians have died. It was a crime. I think don't matter who started the war, it doesn't give winners the right to do whatever they want. It was simply an act of revenge. Your thoughts lead to conclusions like bombing with nuclear weapons Hiroshima and Nagazaki was correct too. "It was war"..., A war is not absence of moral!!! So Americans and Britshes love to say they are "christians" and respect "christian values".... I see...

Last edited by Goy; February 19th, 2015 at 12:52 AM.
Goy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2015, 01:01 AM   #4763
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Only a Green voter could come up with the claim that Allied forces did not bear responsibility for their own actions because the war was started by Hitler.

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."

Rohne, Zaz965, Wiederschönmachung liked this post
Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2015, 01:10 AM   #4764
Goy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 154

It is necessary to understand the reasons of rise of Hitler. To say everything was Germany's fault is a simplification! I can say it because I am not German.

UrbanMyth, Rohne, Wiederschönmachung liked this post
Goy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2015, 01:54 AM   #4765
pccvspw999

Likes (Received): 1833

The bombing of Dresden was a war crime. It's just that simple. There is no shame to admit it and history has recognized this truth. 70 year passed since then no regrets, no guilty, no revenge, it's just history.
Old February 19th, 2015, 02:07 AM   #4766
Saxonia

Likes (Received): 7404

Dresden had military industry and was a huge garrison city. But both were not the primary target of the british air raids and suffered only low or no damage. Instead they bombed the strategic and military unsignificant old town. Thats the problem.
Old February 19th, 2015, 08:02 AM   #4767
TimothyR
Ike

Likes (Received): 2085

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eagle View Post
This is "Hotel Stadt Leipzig" Not in a bad shape, considering it was build 1835 and is sitting empty for 60 Years.
Renovations will speed up in the coming months. The roof has been taken of last fall...........

approved by Dresdener-Bauten.de
This is new to me. It looks like it will once again be elegant and handsome.

“In keeping silent about evil, in burying it so deep within us that no sign of it appears on the surface, we are implanting it, and it will rise up a thousand fold in the future. When we neither punish nor reproach evildoers we are thereby ripping the foundations of justice from beneath new generations.”

“The meaning of earthly existence lies not, as we have grown used to thinking, in prospering but in the development of the soul.”
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

"We are more closely connected to the invisible than to the visible"

-Novalis

Jasper90, Zaz965 liked this post
TimothyR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2015, 08:06 AM   #4768
TimothyR
Ike

Quote:
Originally Posted by cilindr0 View Post
Weird news from Dresden, seems that they are going to do something to restore the old Neustadt Rathaus!!

However in a very strange way, let's remember that building:

Quite weird, seems that the uggly building won't be teared down, and only this little monument will be placed there to remember that old and pleasant building.

How strange. I am sorry they will not rebuild this. It is one of my favorites from the former Dresden. But perhaps in the future....I would think there will be more focus on the Neustadt as the years go by.

“In keeping silent about evil, in burying it so deep within us that no sign of it appears on the surface, we are implanting it, and it will rise up a thousand fold in the future. When we neither punish nor reproach evildoers we are thereby ripping the foundations of justice from beneath new generations.”

“The meaning of earthly existence lies not, as we have grown used to thinking, in prospering but in the development of the soul.”
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

-Novalis

Zaz965 liked this post
Old February 19th, 2015, 08:11 AM   #4769
TimothyR
Ike

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post

Just so beautiful. So moving and beautiful.

I expected it to be magnificent. And it is. I had very high expectations, and they were surpassed. Pictures cannot capture the scale of the Frauenkirche or its perfect, bell-shaped dome.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

-Novalis

erbse, piotrus81, loloo, Photodash, Zaz965 liked this post
Old February 19th, 2015, 08:17 AM   #4770
TimothyR
Ike

Quote:
Talking about the Frauen church which is absolutely stunning!
There is another gigantic church in Germany reconstructed and finished just last summer.
Its called St. Georgen and is from the Year 1295. It is located in a town called Wismar on the Eastern Seaboard. It doesn't belong to Dresden, I know, but there s no own thread.
The Eastern Seaboard is an area, where germans make vacation in there own country and is almost unknown to foreigners. St. Georgen was damaged during war and was supposed to be destroyed by the communists like another 68 cathedrals and churches, many untouched by war. The People sabotaged the plans to dismantle it. The church was then left open to the skies on purpose, to let the ocean weather destroy it! In 1990 a gable collabs occurred, smashing on three homes and killing two people. Wismar is a medieval town with narrow streets. Not as well known as Frauenkirche in Dresden. The rebuilding took from 1990 to 2014.

Exquisite.
68 churches after the war! Just for the sake of destroying beauty and culture and symbols of faith in something other than communism...I am very glad that this survived.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

-Novalis

Zaz965 liked this post
Old February 19th, 2015, 10:07 PM   #4771
The Eagle

Likes (Received): 3490

The fun part was, that the city did not know about the Frauenkirche getting a masonry dome! The designer told them about a wooden dome with metal siding! He know, they where afraid it would collapse and worse, there was no money for this in the plans! So it became a "surprise" at last minute for the elected city council. Just befor the dome went up on the already finished lower parts! Of course he went over budget by accident. We are used to that nowadays!-)

SonOfThomp, TimothyR, Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by The Eagle; February 19th, 2015 at 11:22 PM.
The Eagle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2015, 10:11 PM   #4772
The Eagle

Likes (Received): 3490

It is winter and I like to show colour. There is a castle called Moritzburg in Dresden. After the "wende" as people shortcut the term "fall of the berlin wall" the state/province of Sachsen started thankfully to fix/reactivate and partly reconstruct this masterpiece! The Moritzburg started as a burg in medieval times and was later turned into this schloss/castel. The pictures show the last major construction before finally completed with it`s former glory! Dresden becomes even more beautiful now. This is one of the Castles I referred to as "under construction" a couple of pages before. I finally managed to present summer pictures as I promised! Please enjoy Schloss Moritzburg

I believe you can "tell" that the building enjoyed to be put to it`s former glory!

Housing for the gardening staff:

When it`s finished, original pavement goes back on top:

Dresden in the back:

Schloss Moritzburg

Pictures from Dresdner-Bauten.de with friendly approval by Reinhard Jentsch
Next Castel is finished!!

Last edited by The Eagle; February 19th, 2015 at 11:13 PM.
The Eagle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2015, 10:45 AM   #4773
1234Arms

Likes (Received): 0

The bricklaying work done greatly in this reconstruction. The good bricklaying and block-laying gives a modern and strength look to the building.
1234Arms no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2015, 08:45 PM   #4774
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1677

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian urbanist View Post
I don't think one can call a strategic bombing done by the Royal Air Force a "terror attack". It was war, after all, and one that Germany started.

If anybody was guilty of the Dresden air raids, it was the Nazis and Hitler, but definitely not the Allied Forces.
"it was war, after all...." was one of the excuses used to mitigate many of the other war crimes. it's a silly excuse, and one that only reflects the fact that there was no valid reason to terror bomb this city. Unlike the attacks on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, which every historian and military historian knows saved the lives of hundreds of thousands of people and brought the war to a close, the Dresden bombing shortened nothing and served only as vengeance.

by the by, why do you think when the invasion of Poland is usually used as the "start of the war" russia does not share parallel disdain for initiating the start?

UrbanMyth, The Eagle liked this post
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2015, 05:21 AM   #4775
TimothyR
Ike

Quote:
It is winter and I like to show colour. There is a castle called Moritzburg in Dresden. After the "wende" as people shortcut the term "fall of the berlin wall" the state/province of Sachsen started thankfully to fix/reactivate and partly reconstruct this masterpiece! The Moritzburg started as a burg in medieval times and was later turned into this schloss/castel. The pictures show the last major construction before finally completed with it`s former glory! Dresden becomes even more beautiful now. This is one of the Castles I referred to as "under construction" a couple of pages before. I finally managed to present summer pictures as I promised! Please enjoy Schloss Moritzburg

Schloss Moritzburg

Pictures from Dresdner-Bauten.de with friendly approval by Reinhard Jentsch
Next Castel is finished!!
Splendid.

And it is only a few miles from Dresden. I must visit some day.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

-Novalis
Old February 23rd, 2015, 12:45 AM   #4776
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18268

Some photos by me from August 2014
https://www.flickr.com/photos/271083...7646736276142/
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2015, 05:39 AM   #4777
TimothyR
Ike

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
Beautiful.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

-Novalis

cinxxx liked this post
Old March 2nd, 2015, 12:44 PM   #4778
Dr.Seltsam
Live in HD

Likes (Received): 3224

Very interesting project!

A panorama photo of the destruction of Dresden.
Old March 2nd, 2015, 03:38 PM   #4779
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57899

^ Let's better use the specific link for the Panometer project by Yadegar Asisi. http://www.bausituation-dresden.de/2...sden-1945.html

I can really recommend it to anyone who goes to Dresden!

More info: http://www.asisi.de/en/panoramas/dre...o-gallery.html
facebook: https://www.facebook.com/panometer.dresden?fref=ts

The detailing is immensiley impressive.

Parrots!

Source: Wrba / Asisi

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Photodash liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2015, 07:00 PM   #4780
photolitherland

Likes (Received): 956

Wow, war is so god damned stupid.
photolitherland no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, construction updates, dresden, reconstruction, redevelopment, rekonstrucje, rekonstruktion, sachsen