daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 2nd, 2015, 07:06 PM   #4781
skymantle

Likes (Received): 3113

skymantle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 2nd, 2015, 08:03 PM   #4782
pccvspw999

Likes (Received): 1832

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
Wow, war is so god damned stupid.
War can't be smarter than the people fighting it, and viceversa.
pccvspw999 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2015, 11:08 PM   #4783
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1676

Quote:
Originally Posted by pccvspw999 View Post
War can't be smarter than the people fighting it, and viceversa.
The people fighting it are the young men forced into it. The stupid ones are the ones who got it going in the first place...who often bore none of the pain and suffering.
Old March 2nd, 2015, 11:34 PM   #4784
White Light
Shines in the dark...

Likes (Received): 942

Quote:
Originally Posted by pccvspw999 View Post
The bombing of Dresden was a war crime. It's just that simple. There is no shame to admit it and history has recognized this truth. 70 year passed since then no regrets, no guilty, no revenge, it's just history.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxonia View Post
Dresden had military industry and was a huge garrison city. But both were not the primary target of the british air raids and suffered only low or no damage. Instead they bombed the strategic and military unsignificant old town. Thats the problem.
I am SORRY, i know that this is thread about architecture and not history, i am the first one to actually react on that, but i cannot believe that today anyone dares to question legitimacy of bombing of Dresden.
Bergen-Belsen, Dachau, Auschwitz, Treblinka were also "military insignificant locations". I would that actually call, war crimes, and not the revenge destruction of cities. As we see now, cities and towns are rising again, while those people are here no more.

I also fell sorry for the lost things, but keep forever in mind real war crimes, please.

Believe in architecture..........
White Light no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2015, 11:35 PM   #4785
pccvspw999

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepthepast View Post
The people fighting it are the young men forced into it. The stupid ones are the ones who got it going in the first place...who often bore none of the pain and suffering.
Of course!
Old March 2nd, 2015, 11:48 PM   #4786
pccvspw999

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Light View Post
I am SORRY, i know that this is thread about architecture and not history, i am the first one to actually react on that, but i cannot believe that today anyone dares to question legitimacy of bombing of Dresden. Bergen-Belsen, Dachau, Auschwitz, Treblinka were also "military insignificant locations". I would that actually call, war crimes, and not the revenge destruction of cities. As we see now, cities and towns are rising again, while those people are here no more. I also fell sorry for the lost things, but keep forever in mind real war crimes, please.
Dresden was a real war crime. It's not controverse, it's an historic fact almost accepted first of all by Brits. It was a scientific, accurate and disuman act of distruction, of annihilation of lives and absolutely useless for any purpose than itself.
By all respect for all other war crimes done before, during and after WWII.

keepthepast, Wiederschönmachung liked this post
Old March 3rd, 2015, 12:18 AM   #4787
Dr.Seltsam
Live in HD

Likes (Received): 3217

Quote:
...but i cannot believe that today anyone dares to question legitimacy of bombing of Dresden.
Bergen-Belsen, Dachau, Auschwitz, Treblinka were also "military insignificant locations". I would that actually call, war crimes, and not the revenge destruction of cities. As we see now, cities and towns are rising again, while those people are here no more.
I really don't want to trivialise the horrible crimes the Nazis did to the world, especially to the Jews! But if you take a look at those photos of the destruction of Dresden on the previous page (which is only one example of hundreds of bombed cities in WWII)...how many children, for example, do you think, died in these air raids? Were they guilty for what the Nazis did? You can't kill people to revenge the killing of other people! Don't you get that? That's barbarous, too!

erbse, durden5573 liked this post
Dr.Seltsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2015, 01:36 PM   #4788
william of waco

Likes (Received): 258

Quote:
but i cannot believe that today anyone dares to question legitimacy of bombing of Dresden.
Of course you can't believe it. You've never been firestormed yourself. To you, the fiery destruction of numerous other German cities was not enough! As has been explained numerous times here, the fate of Dresden was unnecessary. The war was long since over.
Old March 3rd, 2015, 02:53 PM   #4789
Weissenberg
Grid or Riot

Likes (Received): 297

del, shouldn't have gotten into political discussions.

Last edited by Weissenberg; March 3rd, 2015 at 03:29 PM.
Weissenberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2015, 05:16 PM   #4790
Steve Gatlin

Likes (Received): 20

Well, to get back on topic: In one of the recent photos I noticed a construction crane on the site of the future Hoym Palais. Is it being used for the work on the new building across the street or (I sincerely hope) the construction of the Hoym?

Wars start when peoples argue endlessly over past grievances. I have the greatest admiration for Germany and how the country is rebuilding many of the buildings lost in WWII.

keepthepast liked this post
Steve Gatlin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2015, 06:01 PM   #4791
lcars
salvation thru star trek

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
I am SORRY, i know that this is thread about architecture and not history, i am the first one to actually react on that, but i cannot believe that today anyone dares to question legitimacy of bombing of Dresden.

I also fell sorry for the lost things, but keep forever in mind real war crimes, please.
agreed. although the firebombing of Dresden made no sense strategically and is regrettable - that is not the war crime of that period. the attempted extermination of the Jews was the war crime, among several, of that period.

as a tangential aside, does everyone remember the novel "Slaughterhouse 5" by Vonnegut and the film made about it later? among other things, it concerns the experience of allied prisoners of war in Dresden who survived
the horrendous firebombing. great story, great movie. in particular I remember the lead character Billy Pilgrim and his coat given to him by his Nazi guards while he was a prisoner. they gave him a fine woman's coat with a large fur collar. I am not sure what the author intended by that act of Billy Pilgrim being forced to wear a woman's coat, but I wondered esp while I watched the film - where did that coat come from?

could it have been the property of a prosperous German woman who was dead and bombed out? maybe . but more likely it was the stolen property of a murdered Jewish woman who died in a death camp just a hundred miles or so from Dresden - Auschwitz. that thought puts the Dresden "holocaust " in some perspective.
lcars no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2015, 08:40 PM   #4792
Roman_P

Likes (Received): 1774

Quote:

The revenge (or, more precisely, requital) for Dachau, Auschwitz etc. was the Nuremberg trial. Maybe it was not enough, cause some of persons responsible for war crimes managed to escape (in South America etc.). But Dresden bombings could not be judged as a requital, it was inadequate in terms of guilt and punishment. Because most of the people who died there (not to mention a damage to the world's culture heritage) were not those who invented or ruled Auschwitz and likes of it. And even if one considers them to be anyway responsible because they "let it happen" or so (and ignores little children who could not be claimed responsible even in that sense) - even then the "punishment" they got was not adequate to their guilt.
Roman_P no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2015, 09:41 PM   #4793
WhiteMagick
Moderator - Επιτηρητής

Neumarkt Quartier IV/3 - Friesengasse/ Landhausstraße - aktuell 01.03.2015

http://www.dresdner-bauten.de/

如果希腊国民继续信阴谋论,外资救世主的,不为自己的行为负责, 他们会灭亡。

人は何かの犠牲なしに何も得ることはできない。何かを得るためには同等の代価が必要になる。それが、生活における等価交換の原則だ。その頃僕らは、それが世界の真実だと信じていた。時間は、最も貴重な資源である。だから、誰の時間もあなたは無駄にしてはいけないし、誰もが他の人の時間を無駄にしないでください。
WhiteMagick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2015, 09:44 PM   #4794
BriedisUnIzlietne

Likes (Received): 2872

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
Wow, war is so god damned stupid.
+1

I don't know why, but I tend to be very emotional about the destruction of architecture, infrastructure and vehicles... For some reason - much more than I am about people. I just hate to see the destruction of something that men have spend enormous time, money and effort into the making. I don't even care about the political reasons - destruction is sad from any viewpoint

keepthepast, Chimer, ILOVENY, Zaz965 liked this post
BriedisUnIzlietne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2015, 05:07 AM   #4795
keepthepast

Quote:

More of the 'my pain is worse than your pain' litany that makes no sense, unless one is an advocate of vengeance and the never-ending game of 'my crimes are just, yours are not'. This mentality gave us the middle east.,
Old March 5th, 2015, 01:38 AM   #4796
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 718

Hello, guys. This is my first post on SkyscraperCity and I've been following this thread for months so I wanted to ask some questions about the project. I want to know what do citizens of Dresden think about the reconstructions going on in their city. P.S. In my opinion, they should also reconstruct the Altmarkt because it was beautiful too.

keepthepast, Tiaren, durden5573, Zaz965 liked this post
Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2015, 06:03 AM   #4797
keepthepast

The city had a once in a 100 year opportunity to at least reconstruct the south side if the AltMarkt, but largely blew it. There were some designs that would have made an excellent square, especially in contrast directly opposite the Kulturpalast. But did not happen.

Titan Man, Zaz965 liked this post
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2015, 03:14 PM   #4798
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

I agree. I think the new building is not spectacular in any way, it's just a plain modernist box and it won't become a symbol of the city, or even the square. That's why I support large-scale reconstructions which will give a "new" old look that cities like Dresden and Frankfurt deserve.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old March 5th, 2015, 04:24 PM   #4799
Strykr

Likes (Received): 31

Virtual reality is the new urbanism.

While I appreciate the intent of the rebuilding and the architectural tastes of the city planners, I think the next stage of development is non physical. In other words, with the rise of virtual reality and more powerful computers such as quantum supercomputers, the next great city will be virtual. We will be able to design our own cities and then explore them like they were real. You can recreate all the old cities of Europe in the simulation and even invent new ones. It will be like the matrix.

Zaz965 liked this post
Strykr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2015, 04:39 PM   #4800
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

That won't happen anytime soon. We should really focus on cities we have today, many of which look horrible.

Zaz965 liked this post

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, construction updates, dresden, reconstruction, redevelopment, rekonstrucje, rekonstruktion, sachsen