daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 3rd, 2015, 04:02 AM   #4881
AlbertoZH

Likes (Received): 4

Dresden 10 points ! It is amazing how the City has changed from when I was visiting it 10 years ago !

Zaz965 liked this post
AlbertoZH no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 3rd, 2015, 04:12 AM   #4882
Hed_Kandi
Registered Usurper

Likes (Received): 12577

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedemann View Post
Comparison 2010/2012 – prewar.
The devastation is an absolute crime against world heritage and an utter tragedy.

Had the allied forces allied possessed the foresight of the architecture that was to follow in the decades after the war, I am certain they would have thought twice before laying waste to all of Germany.

Fudgis, Zaz965 liked this post
Hed_Kandi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2015, 11:10 AM   #4883
mhjo
mhji

Likes (Received): 90

really..

Zaz965 liked this post
mhjo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2015, 12:17 AM   #4884
calabrone

Likes (Received): 283

Hi,

Because - one from You was asking:"What means AH?" For the historic Postcards in the Gallery from Arstempano I make from every Owner of the Postcards the First letter and AH is for me, thats all. In the next month I will work also on this galery.
Otherwise - you can go around with Arstempano over the whole Neumarkt withe the red Points in the map ore the hotspots in the panos. The Panos are from 2012 and 2014. When the Frieseneck will be finishd, we Change the panos. In the next weeks we ar working für Infocards for every Buliding from the Neumeurkt like the "kurfürstliche Schmiede".

Kopfbau Rampische Str. 33

erbse, Tiaren, Chadoh25, cilindr0, Erni79 and 3 others liked this post
calabrone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2015, 03:09 PM   #4885
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1677

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hed_Kandi View Post
The devastation is an absolute crime against world heritage and an utter tragedy.

Had the allied forces allied possessed the foresight of the architecture that was to follow in the decades after the war, I am certain they would have thought twice before laying waste to all of Germany.
There is very little foresight in war. Plus, Churchill and his group were extreme Germanophobes. I think, based on their own commentaries, they possessed a high degree of jealousy and envy of Germany's vast and varied architectural jewels. England's number of architectural keepsake cities paled in comparison, as did much of the rest of Europe. Jealousy and envy usually knows no bounds.

UrbanMyth, Zaz965 liked this post
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2015, 10:21 PM   #4886
Mruczek
Warrior of Excel

Likes (Received): 13458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hed_Kandi View Post

During the war Allies had more priorities than taking care of architecture of Germany or anywhere else. Basically, the war, especially total war, is bad time for cities, inner cities and monuments of history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepthepast View Post
There is very little foresight in war. Plus, Churchill and his group were extreme Germanophobes. I think, based on their own commentaries, they possessed a high degree of jealousy and envy of Germany's vast and varied architectural jewels. England's number of architectural keepsake cities paled in comparison, as did much of the rest of Europe. Jealousy and envy usually knows no bounds.
In your anti-English sentiment you apparently forgot who the real enemy was. You forgot to mention Jewish-Communist-Slavic-Capitalist-Untermensch-LGBT plot to destroyed Sacred-Holy-Third-Reich, which started on Sept 1st, 1939 when Jewish Poles (paid both by Rotschild and drunk syphilitic Churchill, obviously) invaded German radio station in Gleiwitz and in fact that sad epoque lasts even today Since it is obvious that Jewish-LGBT-Slavic-did I forget anything? aaaah Untermensch! puppet chancellor half-Polish (what a shame and downright Rassenschande) Angela Merkel is forcing Germans to be merely the best soccer players, car-manufacturers, chemists, builders, bankers, engineers, urbanists and architects who are rich, happy (that is insult - how Germans dare to be happy?), joyful, democratic, federal and tolerant (even to Jews and homosexuals - aaaaaah, what a shame).

And that is all instead of their Sacred Fate of being Fuehrer soldiers dying in the Ostfront, or concentration camp guards, or Stuermer journalists or Treuhanders of "acquired" Jewish property). What a shame to Germany and all the civilisation of White Aryans

Having said that, I suggest we surface from this abyss of 80-year-old madness and come back to topic of Dresden reconstruction, which is happening right now, as we speak.
Barcelona Budapeszt Grodno Kowno Madryt Moskwa Ukraina

Last edited by Mruczek; May 5th, 2015 at 10:37 PM.
Mruczek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2015, 11:26 PM   #4887
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1677

It's trolling again. Too bad it can't be stopped or deleted.
Old May 6th, 2015, 12:51 AM   #4888
Jozef77

Likes (Received): 401

Dresden is really doing a fantastic job. Allied bombing did one good thing i can think of, diversity. Frankfurt for example would not be a city with one of the best skylines in Europe today. Keep in mind that historical architecture in many other countries did not survive because they just replaced old buildings with new ones. Bigger cities are always changing over time. We don't know how they will look like in 30 years. Old architecture is best preserved in smaller towns in my opinion.

Zaz965 liked this post
Jozef77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2015, 01:17 AM   #4889
AUTOTHRILL
chill

Likes (Received): 1948

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepthepast View Post
im speechless- you truly believe that? nothing you have written here is correct, although i agree pre war germany was the most beautiful country in the world. to have walked the streets of pre war hamburg...

Zaz965 liked this post
AUTOTHRILL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2015, 01:25 AM   #4890
robertwood

Likes (Received): 273

What I don't understand is even if one can't recreate the baroque details in architecture that was lost, why cant the new buildings at least be built in a basic traditional German style? Lots of German cities have pretty simple buildings that still have an elegance about them that might even cost less to build than some of these modern uninspired replacements that are being built. The building going in next to the wonderfully recreated British Hotel illustrates my point. That said, l visited Dresden in 2000 and then again in 2012 and the difference was remarkable! Despite the WW2 losses it is a beautiful city that is getting prettier with each passing year. The Germans are doing a great job overall and everyone should visit and financially support the restorations.

Steve Gatlin liked this post
robertwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2015, 02:37 AM   #4891
dreis

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertwood View Post
What I don't understand is even if one can't recreate the baroque details in architecture that was lost, why cant the new buildings at least be built in a basic traditional German style?
I live in Germany presently and from my gatherings those "basic German style" buidings or houses arent easy or cheap to remake. Remember that Dresden Church cost about €200 million to rebuild. Old style buidings arent made anymore and if they are its a specialty like half-timbered houses which are expensive and have very little craftsmen to build them.

We live in a expendable world now where everything is made as cheaply as possible with everything machine made that has next to no hand made details.

Zaz965 liked this post
dreis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2015, 03:04 AM   #4892
Hed_Kandi
Registered Usurper

Likes (Received): 12577

From SSP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIan View Post
Seeing pictures of german cities before the war is really bad for my heart...

There were a los of innecesary bombered cities destroyed by the allieds.

Here you have some fascinating coloured photos...

Berlin

Dresden

Leipzig

Breslau/Wroclaw

Stettin/Szczecin

München (Munich)

Freiburg

Hamburg

Karlsruhe

Magdeburg

Halle

Danzig/Gdansk

If we reach the second page i have more...
Old May 6th, 2015, 09:22 AM   #4893
Tolbert

Likes (Received): 1607

Hed Kandi, please stopp this. This threat is for recontruction in Dresden and not for random fotos of prewar Germany!!!

EagleswordTW, Zaz965 liked this post
Tolbert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2015, 10:53 AM   #4894
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57899

Indeed, that's what we have this thread for:
Germany at the end of the 19th century / before WWII (historical photos)

And well, that gallery from "SSP" is basically a repost from that thread's first post.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Zaz965 liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2015, 11:20 AM   #4895
Saxonia

Likes (Received): 7404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mruczek View Post
soccer players
He said soccer, burn him!

EagleswordTW, Mruczek, Zaz965 liked this post
Saxonia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2015, 01:04 PM   #4896
MikkelAndersen

Likes (Received): 259

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozef77 View Post
Dresden is really doing a fantastic job. Allied bombing did one good thing i can think of, diversity. Frankfurt for example would not be a city with one of the best skylines in Europe today. Keep in mind that historical architecture in many other countries did not survive because they just replaced old buildings with new ones. Bigger cities are always changing over time. We don't know how they will look like in 30 years. Old architecture is best preserved in smaller towns in my opinion.
I don't agree. Frankfurt could easily be a skyscrapercity too, but only with the skyscrapers a bit outside the city center like e.g. Paris, London or Milan. Diversity is only a good thing when it is balanced. Meaning keeping old from new in most cases.
I believe most people would prefer the Montparnasse skyscraper to be removed to the outskirts of Paris in La Defénse.

http://www.paris-montparnasse-hotel....nasse_huge.jpg

The only think I ask for is the modern buildings to be placed next to each other and keep them away from the inner core in historical cities. Could you imagine Frankfurt skyscrapers next to Piazza Navona in Rome? No. But 2-3 km away from the city center? Yes. By the way I think Frankfurt will benefit greatly from rebuilding the altstadt. Only minor problem is that some of the buildings will be modern with an old touch. I would have preferred 200 metres times 200 metres with only historical buildings.

http://www.fr-online.de/image/view/2...adthaus_02.jpg

This is better:

http://img.welt.de/img/kunst-und-arc...ankfurt-2-.jpg

Should old architecture only be kept in small towns? So how about Paris, Rome, New York etc?
This is, sorry, nonsense. But modern architecture should be allowed everywhere, perhaps especially in bigger cities as long as you preserve and protect certain areas.

erbse, keepthepast, Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by MikkelAndersen; May 6th, 2015 at 01:20 PM.
MikkelAndersen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2015, 06:44 PM   #4897
mhjo
mhji

Likes (Received): 90

Please stick to topic, Dresden

Zaz965 liked this post
mhjo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2015, 07:35 PM   #4898
intervention
planning inaction

I thought you would all enjoy this piece by the National Film Board of Canada:

Return to Dresden

erbse, Zaz965 liked this post
intervention no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2015, 08:40 PM   #4899
AUTOTHRILL
chill

Likes (Received): 1948

christ, those pictures are amazing. germany really did have it all. what a crying, crying shame. they made russian/ british/ french cities look, well, a bit rubbish in comparison. jewels, taken from the world.

Fudgis, Zaz965, Wiederschönmachung liked this post
AUTOTHRILL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2015, 12:24 AM   #4900
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 719

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTOTHRILL View Post
christ, those pictures are amazing. germany really did have it all. what a crying, crying shame. they made russian/ british/ french cities look, well, a bit rubbish in comparison. jewels, taken from the world.
But that doesn't mean we can't get them back. We just have to inform and show people how European cities before WW2 were beautiful places to live in.

Fudgis, Zaz965 liked this post
Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, construction updates, dresden, reconstruction, redevelopment, rekonstrucje, rekonstruktion, sachsen