daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 27th, 2015, 06:54 AM   #4921
JustinHerman

Likes (Received): 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfThomp View Post
And what was your answer?

Naturally I explained that Kultur Palast was built not long after the war, and that it is now considered to be one of Germany's most beautiful and iconic buildings. He asked, "Why don't they just tear it down?" When I was recovered enough from my shock to find my voice, I told him that doing so would be tantamount to demolishing Neuschwanstein Castle, or the cathedral at Cologne; the people wouldn't stand for it.

What I actually told him was, "I know. It is ugly. I imagine it was meant to kick-start development of Dresden's destroyed old town and push it in some modern direction. To me, it looks like it's just in the way. I wish they would demolish it and rebuild the 4 blocks it's taking up with the baroque buildings that used to be there.

Sponsored Links
Old May 27th, 2015, 03:36 PM   #4922
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1677

Would love to hear you respond to a self indulged waiter who just explained the entree that is on your plate for $100.

Given the accommodation the city gave the architect who designed the kulturpalast, the desire to 'hang out the dirty clothes' that has gripped Germany since 1945 and resistance to rebuilding/representing 'the past', and the already paid for repairs to the existing structure, this wart-on-the-nose-of-Dresden will not likely be removed for a long time. The design idea that remodeled the exterior to blend in its baroque setting would have been a wonderful compromise, but it was denied.

I think the focus now needs to be on the residential block houses along WilsrufferStr and in the areas west of the Neumarkt and Altmarkt.

JustinHerman, Zaz965 liked this post
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2015, 04:42 PM   #4923
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 718

I think the focus has to be on every ugly building in or around Neumarkt area. The worst thing we can do is give up and let a crappy architect to screw up the whole old town. I actually hope that someone from the City Council reads this thread. I would like to look at their faces as they realise they are spending millions to renovate a building which has been panned by (almost) everyone who commented it and its design. But they are probably too dumb for that, anyway.

JustinHerman liked this post
Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2015, 12:55 AM   #4924
SonOfThomp

Likes (Received): 226

I think that TheEagle, described (a few pages back) how such decisions are made: behind closed doors by unelected bureaucrats, with no regard for the wishes of the citizens of Dresden.

Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by SonOfThomp; June 1st, 2015 at 05:26 AM.
SonOfThomp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2015, 03:24 PM   #4925
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Well, citizens can always oppose something they don't like or something that will harm their city, like renovation of Kulturpalast, or building some new faceless buildings instead of reconstructing something that was specific for their city.
Old May 28th, 2015, 05:24 PM   #4926
Joe Whalen 7

Likes (Received): 128

Old Versus New

If I am visiting an area of a city like Dresden that dates from the 18th century, then I don't expect to be confronted by something that is 20th century "modern" dropped down in the midst of it. I fail to see why so many places seem to think that this is something that is a great addition to their cityscape.

The best recent example of this sort of thing is building one wall of the Berlin Humboldt Forum in modern style while the other three walls faithfully reproduce the original baroque facade. Why couldn't they just extend the baroque design on around the fourth side? Yes, I know that was not the way it originally was, but that blends with the other three sides a lot better than something modern.

Just obscuring the view of Dresden's Kultur Palast from the rest of the Neu Markt area is probably the best compromise given the fact that it is already there.

MikkelAndersen, Steve Gatlin, Zaz965 liked this post
Joe Whalen 7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2015, 09:00 PM   #4927
The Eagle

Likes (Received): 3486

The real shocking about is that the governments are holding investors and donators back.
In other countries the governments complain about a lack of investors for let's say "proven" architecture. Charlston town here in the US for example. And here? Several investors with customers wanted to build fillers neo historical. They were pulled back. Dresden didn't took
donations for a outside remodel of the Kultur Palast. OK, being fair, they also wanted to add residential buildings to make it a city block. But still.

Zaz965 liked this post
The Eagle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2015, 05:26 AM   #4928
SonOfThomp

Likes (Received): 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eagle View Post
Several investors with customers wanted to build fillers neo historical. They were pulled back. Dresden didn't took .
Could you elaborate on this, please? I'd like to know what kind of a person would do such a thing. It's almost like vandalism.

Zaz965 liked this post
SonOfThomp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2015, 05:25 PM   #4929
intervention
planning inaction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Whalen 7 View Post
If I am visiting an area of a city like Dresden that dates from the 18th century, then I don't expect to be confronted by something that is 20th century "modern" dropped down in the midst of it.
The vast majority of the core of the city dates from +1945

cyril sneer, Mruczek, Zaz965 liked this post
intervention no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2015, 08:48 PM   #4930
keepthepast

But, that is a separate point. As JW is suggesting, there is an effort to reinstate the 18th century grandeur of Dresden that builds interest/desire in people to travel to see the reconstructions. For those visiting to experience all the good work, the leftovers from post 1945 are indeed disruptions and disconnects.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old June 2nd, 2015, 12:20 PM   #4931
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57847

Our majesty. For your pleasure!

Frauenkirche Dresden by Tim A. Bruening, sur Flickr

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2015, 05:47 PM   #4932
TimothyR
Ike

Likes (Received): 2085

I never get tired of looking at that magnificent church.

“In keeping silent about evil, in burying it so deep within us that no sign of it appears on the surface, we are implanting it, and it will rise up a thousand fold in the future. When we neither punish nor reproach evildoers we are thereby ripping the foundations of justice from beneath new generations.”

“The meaning of earthly existence lies not, as we have grown used to thinking, in prospering but in the development of the soul.”
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

"We are more closely connected to the invisible than to the visible"

-Novalis

Zaz965 liked this post
TimothyR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2015, 06:21 PM   #4933
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

A truly magnificent building... Such a shame it will become black in few decades, I just love how the original stones can be spotted easily.
Old June 2nd, 2015, 06:57 PM   #4934
keepthepast

When seeing this magnificent building, it's hard to understand how architects and investors alike could not always want to strive for such perfection, whether it be classic/historical or modern.

I think, although it may be wrong, that the new sandstone used for construction is treated with a sealant that inhibits the normal oxidation seen in former times.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old June 2nd, 2015, 07:29 PM   #4935
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Well, perfection in contemporary architecture is expensive...
Old June 2nd, 2015, 07:35 PM   #4936
erbse
LIBERTINED

Perfection and magnificence in architecture have always been expensive. It's a matter of will.

In addition, today we got enormous ease via modern technology and knowledge in various fields. We just need to make proper use of it.

Old June 3rd, 2015, 10:17 AM   #4937
bavarian urbanist
Verdens Beste

Likes (Received): 647

The thing is, nobody except russian oligarchs can afford such magnificience nowadays. Back in the baroque times, workforce was much cheaper and there are things that can only be produced by humans. Mass produced ornaments from the 3D-printer will always look tacky because they are too perfect. It's the little imperfections that make up the charme of a place.

rychlik, Zaz965 liked this post
bavarian urbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 01:44 PM   #4938
erbse
LIBERTINED

We can program irregular imperfections for 3D printing without much hassle, pal!

Large swathes of the stucco work of the 19th century were machine-produced and replicated as well. Yet the historicist buildings are almost universally loved.

Old June 4th, 2015, 11:34 AM   #4939
Mruczek
Warrior of Excel

Likes (Received): 13455

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
We can program irregular imperfections for 3D printing without much hassle, pal!

Large swathes of the stucco work of the 19th century were machine-produced and replicated as well. Yet the historicist buildings are almost universally loved.
But rarely, if ever, reconstructed. It is individual value of buildings (older than 19th century) that is perceived as worth reconstructing.
Barcelona Budapeszt Grodno Kowno Madryt Moskwa Ukraina
Mruczek está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2015, 01:10 PM   #4940
erbse
LIBERTINED

I think that's a time issue (we're still rather close to the Belle Epoque) and it's changing rapidly already. Just have a look at the revitalization thread or this Leipzig thread, how carefully some long gone historicist details or even whole buildings are reconstructed. Then there's huge projects, like the Traffic Museum in Budapest about to get rebuilt.

Of course, much of our cities were actually built during that time, so we got swathes of the historicist style, even in destroyed/modernist-riddled places. Talking about Germany, there's much contemplation (and some action) about reconstructing 19th century buildings (like city halls) or lost elements like cupolas and gables in various cities.

Zaz965 liked this post

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, construction updates, dresden, reconstruction, redevelopment, rekonstrucje, rekonstruktion, sachsen