daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 31st, 2007, 02:37 PM   #481
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da3won View Post
You should first paid 60bilions $ for Warsaw WWII destroids !! and After rebuild your cities Germans
Life is such unfair no ?
Do you remember that ? You never paid for that thats why you can rebuild Dresno and others cities now
We wil never forget that .

Go check with your government. We paid, then everything was settled in a treaty. And let's not move off-topic any further...troll.

A nice shot showing you the entire area:

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."

Highcliff liked this post
Kampflamm está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 31st, 2007, 04:15 PM   #482
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALESSANDRO View Post
Seriously though: I don't think the big cities of Eastern Germany are actually going to de-populate. Why would they if they get so much money pumped into them and become as beautiful as some of the Wetern cities?
I remember German politicians both federal- and staats-politicians as well as the mayors of the cities saying you Germans are facing tremendous influx of Poles and Czechs who want to live and reside in the German cities left behind by the Eastern Germans going away to live in western parts of Germany.
This again was supposed to lead to blurring of the borders and co-existance of populations of Poles, Czechs and Germans in the Eastern cities. Funny how things change.
Old post but interesting point. In Görlitz (Germany's most beautiful city) they're actually hoping that plenty of Poles will move into the city now that Schengen's been expanded. A lot of people have moved away but now West German pensioners are moving eastwards...+ some young Poles hopefully.

Nice comparison...

A year ago:

Three weeks ago:

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."

Last edited by Kampflamm; December 31st, 2007 at 04:31 PM.
Old December 31st, 2007, 08:22 PM   #483
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da3won View Post
You should first paid 60bilions $ for Warsaw WWII destroids !! and After rebuild your cities Germans
Life is such unfair no ?
Do you remember that ? You never paid for that thats why you can rebuild Dresno and others cities now
We wil never forget that .
[IMG]http://pro.******************/U793564ACME.jpg?size=67&uid={4729e266-8823-471f-9d9c-544b2823af3c}[/IMG]
Warsaw '46
0_o
We all know what happened to Warsaw, but like someone said no one here bombed you. Just because Dresden was a German city doesn't mean that it shouldn't be reconstructed. When did being German become such a horrible thing?

Unionstation13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2007, 09:51 PM   #484
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8934

Quote:

WUNDERBAR!!!

What Is Love?

Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2007, 10:23 PM   #485
ALESSANDRO
MrBlackMagicHimself

Likes (Received): 523

@ Kampflamm: the comparison photos left me speechless, mein Freund.

Anything to prove your theory about the most beautiful German city?
BTW: Zgorzelec is going to be 30mins away from Wrocław/Breslau, 2hrs from Kraków/Krakau as the A4 is being finished this year.
This should help the cohabitation of nations and populations too!

"Jak przestałem kochać design" Marcina Wichy
- obowiązkowa lektura dla polskich anarchitektów, projektantów wnęk, kierowników wydziałów architortury w magistratach i...
urbanistów, jeśli nauczyli się w swoim kraju j. polskiego. Polecam!

www.miasto2077.pl

twaardy haardy pyycha
ALESSANDRO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2008, 02:19 AM   #486
MPOWER

Likes (Received): 282

Dresden looks fantastic.

You always must see the positive sites Warsaw have more space for the new Skysprapers.

If you want money from us, we want our Ostgebiete back ...

Last edited by MPOWER; January 1st, 2008 at 12:22 PM.
MPOWER no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2008, 04:00 PM   #487
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALESSANDRO View Post
@ Kampflamm: the comparison photos left me speechless, mein Freund.

Anything to prove your theory about the most beautiful German city?
BTW: Zgorzelec is going to be 30mins away from Wrocław/Breslau, 2hrs from Kraków/Krakau as the A4 is being finished this year.
This should help the cohabitation of nations and populations too!
You can find plenty of Görlitz pics right here: http://www.*****************/pc/pc/channel/3/cat/6287
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:G%C3%B6rlitz

IMO it really is the most beautiful city because no other city with a size like that still has so much old architecture left.

To the left you can see the bridge to Poland:

Picture taken from the bridge which connects Görlitz with Zgorzelec:

The dome in the back of the shot is already located in Zgorzelec:

Görlitz is definitely worth a visit.

Last edited by Kampflamm; January 1st, 2008 at 07:20 PM.
Old January 1st, 2008, 04:27 PM   #488
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Another comparison shot:

December 02:

December 07:

Old January 2nd, 2008, 04:19 AM   #489
Unionstation13

it looks like alot of life has returned to that part of Dresden.
Görlitz is gorgeous beyond gorgeous!

Old January 2nd, 2008, 12:23 PM   #490
skysurfer26
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

I cant wait to go to visit Gorlitz !!

Seems to be the only german city that escaped major bombing.....

About the situation of the city divided in 2, thats ridiculous, this is just the result of Mister Stalins paranoias....its sad to see the situation of Breslau and Stettin, Lvuv, etc....but even worst the divided situation of Gorlitz.

Dont want to go again offtopic, but if germans should pay for the recosntruction of Warsaw, lets not forget that Russians should do so also, Stalin stayed outside the city with all his troops, doing nothing , waiting for the Nazis to destroy it completly, He wanted a very week Poland, so he could afterwords take away all the eastern territoris of Poland(Galizia, etc..) and give the polish the eastern territoris of Germany in exchange, so he could look as such a nice guy, he was a terrorist like Hitler !!

Wish WWII would have never happen, we all have lost soooo much of historical heritage !!!
skysurfer26 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 03:41 PM   #491
Giri

Eastern Europe's history is one of chaos. It's something we're not used to in Western Europe with some of our borders dating back from the Roman Empire.

As for the December pic, I must say that unfortunately, some of the buildings look cheap. Couldn't they use more authentic material ?
Old January 2nd, 2008, 04:01 PM   #492
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

I think they just look brand new. Maybe we're just too used to seeing these kinds of buildings in shopping malls.

Quote:
There are some other gems in Eastern Germany. Some of them escaped major bombings and the authorities in the old GDR simply didn't have the money to tear down and then rebuild the cities (which was done in the west). Erfurt, Weimar, Schwerin, Potsdam and to some extent Leipzig, Dresden, Halle (Saale) are all still beautiful major cities (ie with a population over or around 100,000...although Weimar is a bit smaller).

Old January 2nd, 2008, 06:05 PM   #493
Unionstation13

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysurfer26 View Post
I cant wait to go to visit Gorlitz !!

About the situation of the city divided in 2, thats ridiculous, this is just the result of Mister Stalins paranoias....its sad to see the situation of Breslau and Stettin, Lvuv, etc....but even worst the divided situation of Gorlitz.

Dont want to go again offtopic, but if germans should pay for the recosntruction of Warsaw, lets not forget that Russians should do so also, Stalin stayed outside the city with all his troops, doing nothing , waiting for the Nazis to destroy it completly, He wanted a very week Poland, so he could afterwords take away all the eastern territoris of Poland(Galizia, etc..) and give the polish the eastern territoris of Germany in exchange, so he could look as such a nice guy, he was a terrorist like Hitler !!

Wish WWII would have never happen, we all have lost soooo much of historical heritage !!!
Russia was part of the allied forces, but they were not interested in peace. Russia was full of anger and wanted revenge, so they took it out on the German civilians. Berlin was destroyed dominatly out of Russian hate, not to mention the thousands of rapes and murders.

Old January 2nd, 2008, 07:05 PM   #494
MPOWER

Likes (Received): 282

Dont forget Heidelberg(140.000 inhabitants) and Regensburg(135.000 inhabitants). Both cities weren´t bombed. Wonderful buildings on mass.
MPOWER no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 07:05 PM   #495
skysurfer26
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionstation13 View Post
Russia was part of the allied forces, but they were not interested in peace. Russia was full of anger and wanted revenge, so they took it out on the German civilians. Berlin was destroyed dominatly out of Russian hate, not to mention the thousands of rapes and murders.
Thats exactly the biggest mistake of the Allied Powers, they used a terrible dictator to win another dictator, and then he covered half of Europe into complete darkness for half a century, bringing so many beautiful areas back 100 years in time, not to mention the Gulag concentration camps where its calculated more than 10 million people where killed !!

Not to mention, that Stalin, when Nazi germany took over half of Poland, he took also in a very savage way the other half, he was also an agressor, ask the polish....its a pitty the world hasnt been able to judge Stalin as a war criminal for everything he did just like the Nazis where judge, and again , thats because the Allied Powers needed him to win this war faster, and in exchange he got complete inmunity...what a sad mistake...even now a days its a tabu to talk about that in Russia !!
skysurfer26 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 09:12 PM   #496
Sphynx

Likes (Received): 4

Gorlitz... beautiful architecture... just love that stuff! Another place on the to go to list.

I assume that the architecture in Gorlitz also required alot of "cosmetic" work post DDR?
Sphynx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 09:21 PM   #497
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Definitely. I'd assume that all of the buildings which look quite clean and new were renovated after 1990.

This is what most of East Germany looked like before reunification:

The houses really were that run down with WW2 bullet holes etc still in them.

Old January 3rd, 2008, 03:37 PM   #498
ALESSANDRO
MrBlackMagicHimself

Likes (Received): 523

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPOWER View Post
Dresden looks fantastic.

You always must see the positive sites Warsaw have more space for the new Skysprapers.

If you want money from us, we want our Ostgebiete back ...

"Jak przestałem kochać design" Marcina Wichy
- obowiązkowa lektura dla polskich anarchitektów, projektantów wnęk, kierowników wydziałów architortury w magistratach i...
urbanistów, jeśli nauczyli się w swoim kraju j. polskiego. Polecam!

www.miasto2077.pl

twaardy haardy pyycha
ALESSANDRO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2008, 11:27 PM   #499
Agnus

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionstation13 View Post
0_o
We all know what happened to Warsaw, but like someone said no one here bombed you. Just because Dresden was a German city doesn't mean that it shouldn't be reconstructed. When did being German become such a horrible thing?
I was born in city whose Latin name is Vratislavia (Wroclaw, Breslau, Presslaw, Wrotizla). I know very well history that Poles, Germans, Jews, Austrians and Czechs share in places like that. My home town is great example of Central European "mikrocosmos" - where during last 1000 years people from many countries and cultures lived. We should not blame anyone for his parents or grandparents sins but we also should remember the past. I agree with Unionstation13 that it's great if Germans reconstruct Dresden, and it has nothing to do with Warsaw (as Da3won suggested). But I also know that Jews and Poles were major victims of WWII. Germans lost the war, paid the price in blood and in land. Soviets won, but the price was very high too (largest number of killed citizens). Fortunately for Germans, after WWII, most of its country has been under US occupation so they are almost 50 years "behind" comparing to countries occupied by Soviet Union. That is why some Poles, even today, are bit bitter (we were victims, being on Allied side we won the war, but being under Soviet occupation we lost almost 50 years). I hope that future is bright, only one condition is mutual respect and understanding (not aggression, hate and racism that made WWII possible). I am happy that Dresden is reconstructed, I am happy that there is chance for similar projects in Wroclaw. Sorry for this off-topic but I could not resist ...

Last edited by Agnus; January 5th, 2008 at 12:01 AM.
Agnus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2008, 04:29 AM   #500
Sphynx

Likes (Received): 4

While we can't forget the past, we live for today and look forward to the future... and post-1990, the future has brought much optimism and positive attributes to eastern Europe, which is moving toward the prosperity of western Europe (and even better in many ways)!
Sphynx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, construction updates, dresden, reconstruction, redevelopment, rekonstrucje, rekonstruktion, sachsen