daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 22nd, 2015, 02:23 AM   #5081
Mruczek
Warrior of Excel

Likes (Received): 13455

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELH View Post
I respect your call, but you know: an intellectual exchange once in a while doesn´t expulse any of the posts about architecture. Like the germans say: "es frisst kein Brot" (it doesn´t eat any bread).
What happened to "Ordnung muss sein"?
Barcelona Budapeszt Grodno Kowno Madryt Moskwa Ukraina

Zaz965 liked this post
Mruczek no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 22nd, 2015, 01:50 PM   #5082
Howdy-do

Likes (Received): 91

Nice job Dresden! Keep up with the preservation of your historical beauty

Zaz965 liked this post
Howdy-do no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2015, 05:25 AM   #5083
SonOfThomp

Likes (Received): 226

I have just stumbled upon The Coolest Thing Ever:

http://altesdresden.de/index.htm?get_haus=sche019

Kampflamm, JustinHerman, Zaz965 liked this post
SonOfThomp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2015, 04:22 PM   #5084
JustinHerman

Likes (Received): 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfThomp View Post
I have just stumbled upon The Coolest Thing Ever:

http://altesdresden.de/index.htm?get_haus=sche019

This is so fascinating, I could sit here all day clicking on numbers and looking at what was. Thanks so much for posting!
JustinHerman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2015, 04:34 PM   #5085
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1676

Great find! Wonderful images and yes, this captures unending attention. A bottle of wine...and a perfect way to spend a night. Thanks!

ChuckScraperMiami#1, Zaz965 liked this post
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2015, 07:51 PM   #5086
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 718

I stood right in front of the Frauenkirche and it gave me chills all over my body. The page is wonderful and it helps us to explore the wonders of the prewar Dresden that are now, unfortunately, lost. I hope with all my heart that they will come to their senses and start reconstructing this lost city so we can enjoy it without screens and Internet.

Since reconstruction of Dresden Castle was finished in 2013, I wondered if they've reconstructed the original interiors. I know it was a royal palace, and royal palaces usually have decorated throne rooms and stuff like that so I searched for pics of the interior on the Internet, but no result. Is it now just a museum or have they also rebuilt some of those wonderful rooms?

Another question. Is there a project for restoration of Zwinger? It kinda looks shabby and that green roof looks cheap as hell. I saw one of the pavillons with nice black roof and cleaned walls and ornaments. Can we expect the restoration of the whole Zwinger in that way in short term or not?

Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by Titan Man; July 25th, 2015 at 12:07 AM.
Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2015, 04:04 PM   #5087
SonOfThomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan Man View Post
(Zwinger) ... that green roof looks cheap as hell.
That's oxidized copper. The new roof will look that way soon enough. See c. 1900 photograph below: copper is the 'correct' material.

Titan Man, Zaz965 liked this post
Old July 26th, 2015, 03:44 AM   #5088
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1676

Does anyone know what species of tree are the ornamental topiaries lining the formal walkways?

keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2015, 07:03 AM   #5089
JustinHerman

Likes (Received): 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepthepast View Post
Does anyone know what species of tree are the ornamental topiaries lining the formal walkways?
I would say linden (or lime, as they're known in Britain). They have a dense canopy (though not as dense as boxwood) that can be trimmed to simple topiary forms.

Zaz965 liked this post
JustinHerman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2015, 12:48 AM   #5090
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfThomp View Post
That's oxidized copper. The new roof will look that way soon enough. See c. 1900 photograph below: copper is the 'correct' material.

Oh, well... Shit.

Has anyone else noticed there are no fountains on this picture??

Zaz965 liked this post
Old July 27th, 2015, 02:00 AM   #5091
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

Quote:
Since reconstruction of Dresden Castle was finished in 2013, I wondered if they've reconstructed the original interiors. I know it was a royal palace, and royal palaces usually have decorated throne rooms and stuff like that so I searched for pics of the interior on the Internet, but no result. Is it now just a museum or have they also rebuilt some of those wonderful rooms?
It seems, you didn't search very effectively... Yes, there are some decorated, very palace like rooms. For example the so called "Grünes Gewölbe" (Green Vault):

And then there is the recently reconstructed "Englische Treppe" (English Staircase):

Another recently reconstructed room is the "Rotseidenes Zimmer" (Red Silk Room):

There are other rooms reconstructed as we speak. Finished next will be the "Kleiner Ballsaal" (Small Ballroom):

And the "Audienzgemach" (Audience Chamber):

Quote:
Another question. Is there a project for restoration of Zwinger? It kinda looks shabby and that green roof looks cheap as hell. I saw one of the pavillons with nice black roof and cleaned walls and ornaments. Can we expect the restoration of the whole Zwinger in that way in short term or not?

Sorry, that is one of the weirdest things, that I have ever heard regarding copper roofs. Every copper roof (or statue) turns green after a few decades due to oxidation and they are not cheap at all, but rather expensive and the typically green color is in fact very desirable. So desirable, that some buildings are tiled with fake, green copper roofs from the beginning, like the Hotel Adlon in Berlin:

Do you think, a luxury hotel would try to imitate something, that looks cheap?

Last edited by Tiaren; July 27th, 2015 at 02:06 AM.
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2015, 12:53 PM   #5092
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Thanks for your answers. I heard for Green Vault, but I've never seen those other parts of the residence so thank you for photos.

I didn't express myself properly. I thought it looks decayed and like it's in a bad shape. I was writing that post in a hurry and since English is not my first language, I wrote the first word I could remember. I apologise for that.

Photodash, keepthepast, The Eagle, Zaz965 liked this post
Old July 28th, 2015, 01:57 AM   #5093
Photodash

Likes (Received): 256

They have built this glass dome at Dresden Castle that looks like it escaped from the Eden Project in Cornwall. I don't think it really fits, somehow.

keepthepast, Zaz965 liked this post
Photodash no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2015, 06:08 AM   #5094
SonOfThomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photodash View Post

They have built this glass dome at Dresden Castle that looks like it escaped from the Eden Project in Cornwall. I don't think it really fits, somehow.
It's a mess, for sure. While it certainly makes for an interesting, protected space, it mars the skyline, and is one of the many choices made by the city that seriously compromises the aesthetic integrity of the area. While the reconstruction of the Neumarkt is like an impossible dream come true, it could have been perfect but for blunders like that bulbous tumor of a roof.

And the list doesn't stop there..

keepthepast, Zaz965 liked this post
Old July 28th, 2015, 03:40 PM   #5095
Opulentus

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photodash View Post

Repulsive.

Opulentus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2015, 05:06 PM   #5096
Photodash

Likes (Received): 256

I think they were going for something like the covered court at the British Museum, which has strengths and weaknesses. The Dresden bubble does indeed mar the skyline. I'm sure it would have been possible to put a flatter glass roof on, which would have done the same job while being less obtrusive. Apparently it's not glass but a sort of plastic membrane cushion, by the way. Yuck.

Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by Photodash; July 28th, 2015 at 05:12 PM.
Photodash no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2015, 08:10 PM   #5097
cilindr0

Likes (Received): 724

I must say that it is very difficult to find a Spot in Dresden to see this dome. For standard pedestrians it is almost impossible to see it.

Zaz965 liked this post
cilindr0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2015, 08:14 PM   #5098
dlamoureux

Likes (Received): 8

Quit complaining about the things you don't like. Do you really understand there was nothing there before reconstruction. It will never be like it was. It is beautiful there today. Let it go guys............

Zaz965 liked this post
dlamoureux no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2015, 08:44 PM   #5099
pccvspw999

Likes (Received): 1832

As far I remeber, that bubble on the court is not that impacting as shown in that picture. It's quite transparent under normal light conditions.
One thing is positive: it can be removed at anytime, despite to other architectural solutions made to stay for decades or even centuries.
When You're in the court, it's a strange feeling: You've the impression to be in an open space, but not the sound.

Zaz965 liked this post
pccvspw999 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2015, 08:55 PM   #5100
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlamoureux View Post
Quit complaining about the things you don't like. Do you really understand there was nothing there before reconstruction. It will never be like it was. It is beautiful there today. Let it go guys............
This is a forum. Forum is a place where people express their opinion, whether it is positive or negative. So basically, they are allowed to complain. I don't like that bubble either. I think it's somehow too tall. I would've loved it if it was just slightly shorter. It wouldn't be visible from the outside, but it would make a great impression from the inside. Not everything new has to be bad, but, unfortunately, I think this one MIGHT be.

Also, I don't think anyone here wants Dresden to be exactly as it was before 1945. Many old buildings were in a bad shape, city center was probably overpopulated and heavily polluted (as in many other European old towns). I want those old buildings that were destroyed in war, and I want them ALL, but also, I want them to be adjusted to our time and need. In long term, I think that would not be such a big problem.

Photodash, Zaz965 liked this post

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, construction updates, dresden, reconstruction, redevelopment, rekonstrucje, rekonstruktion, sachsen