daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 30th, 2015, 01:01 PM   #5101
bavarian urbanist
Verdens Beste

Likes (Received): 647

Well, I like the bubble. It's one of the few examples where contrasts look great.

Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2015, 02:42 PM   #5102
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1677

The bubble wasn't intended to be an exterior design feature, rather a means to provide protected natural lighting for the interior courtyard that previously was open air. Personally, I think the open air courtyard would have been preferred, however, from sports stadiums to castle courtyards, the spoiled populations of the 21st century don't want to be too warm, too cool, or too wet. Too bad.
Old July 30th, 2015, 03:30 PM   #5103
SonOfThomp

Likes (Received): 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan Man View Post
Also, I don't think anyone here wants Dresden to be exactly as it was before 1945. Many old buildings were in a bad shape, city center was probably overpopulated and heavily polluted (as in many other European old towns). I want those old buildings that were destroyed in war, and I want them ALL, but also, I want them to be adjusted to our time and need. In long term, I think that would not be such a big problem.
The old formula seems to work quite well in Praha ....
SonOfThomp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2015, 04:40 PM   #5104
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 719

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfThomp View Post
The old formula seems to work quite well in Praha ....
Yeah, but Prague was not destroyed. If it was up to me, I would reconstruct the exterior of the buildings, but only significant buildings like palaces, churches etc. would have an original interior. You can't expect that someone will buy an apartment that looks like it's from 1700s.

Zaz965 liked this post
Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2015, 04:46 PM   #5105
bavarian urbanist
Verdens Beste

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepthepast View Post
The bubble wasn't intended to be an exterior design feature, rather a means to provide protected natural lighting for the interior courtyard that previously was open air. Personally, I think the open air courtyard would have been preferred, however, from sports stadiums to castle courtyards, the spoiled populations of the 21st century don't want to be too warm, too cool, or too wet. Too bad.
Well, as much as I agree with you about the spoilt population(it's also getting fatter and fatter...), I have to add that this is a classic example of ´form follows function´. One of the greatest principles of traditional architecture.(even though the modernists degraded it to meaning just rectangles an asymmetric buildings.)

Zaz965 liked this post
bavarian urbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2015, 07:38 PM   #5106
Opulentus

Likes (Received): 612

There should be a rule which prevents modernist additions such as that 'bubble' thing being added onto classical-styled buildings.
Opulentus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2015, 08:47 PM   #5107
Photodash

Likes (Received): 256

Form definitely doesn't follow function in Baroque architecture. Not unless decorativeness is a function in its own right. All those scrolls, volutes, statues, escutcheons, pillasters, putti, swags, seashells etc. (and fancy ballustrades around inaccessible rooftops), served little or no function other than to look splendid.

It's a deceitful conceit of 'modernists' that they adhered to the principle of form following function, anyway. If that were really the case they would have been more sympathetic to pitched rather than flat roofs in climates prone to rain and snow, such as Northern Europe! They would have retained caps over windows, which had a practical, protective function. Such things were not stripped away because they were functionless but because they interfered with a bare, boxy style being favoured.
So-called 'modernism' is, or was a style, also identifiable in the entirely unfunctional visual arts. It is a mere style, masquerading as a rational philosophy- and a rather antiquated style at that. A knock-off of Mies Van der Rohe is in no meaningful sense 'modern', and is just as much a recreation of a historical style as an exercise in Neoclassicism or the Gothic Revival would be. The only difference is that the classical and Gothic styles have stood the test of time rather better. Also there is hardly more scope for originality within the 'modernist' style than there is within the more traditional ones, hence the international uniformity of the works of so-called 'modernists'. In fact the ornanent-phobia restricts possibilities.

Last edited by Photodash; July 30th, 2015 at 10:07 PM.
Photodash no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2015, 10:46 PM   #5108
Photodash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampflamm View Post
Anti Non-Ornamental Movement.
I was trying to think of a word for 'modernism' that would be more accurate and that wouldn't grant the inherently propagandistic claim to the modern or contemporary (which implied that all other styles are somehow obsolete).

The Non-Ornament Movement is a good alternative name for the style.

Ornamentophobia?

The Boxophile movement?

Last edited by Photodash; August 1st, 2015 at 12:31 AM.
Old July 31st, 2015, 12:04 PM   #5109
bavarian urbanist
Verdens Beste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photodash View Post
Form definitely doesn't follow function in Baroque architecture. Not unless decorativeness is a function in its own right. All those scrolls, volutes, statues, escutcheons, pillasters, putti, swags, seashells etc. (and fancy ballustrades around inaccessible rooftops), served little or no function other than to look splendid.
Well, I think representation is a function in its own right. Or would you call the Queen functionless?
ad modernists and ´form follows function´: They did indeed not adhere to it a lot of times, but thats mostly because of the dreadful international style that seeked to do away with all the differences that make up the character of cities. Contemporary vernacular(and thats what I'm mostly interested in, Monuments get boring after some time) does often include elements that serve a function and look good.
What I find important is that one should not use too many different materials. Usually, Brick, Wood, Glass, Copper/Zinc, Steel, Plaster and Concrete should suffice.(plus insulation material, but that should better be organic or mineral)

Photodash, Zaz965 liked this post
bavarian urbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2015, 02:56 PM   #5110
Jozef77

Likes (Received): 401

Q 7.2 Kimmerle

Impressions Schössergasse

pictures

Zaz965 liked this post
Jozef77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2015, 05:23 PM   #5111
Photodash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Roy Beam View Post
He's referring to canine droppings such as these...

Cainine droppings indeed, all over a beautiful mosaic pavement. Still I'm 95% delighted with the rebuilding project, and everything that has been done in the past decade or so.

Last edited by Photodash; August 1st, 2015 at 12:32 AM.
Old August 2nd, 2015, 11:26 AM   #5112
WhiteMagick
Moderator - Επιτηρητής

FREITAG, 31. JULI 2015 Neumarkt | Frieseneck

http://www.bausituation-dresden.de/2...seneck_31.html

如果希腊国民继续信阴谋论,外资救世主的,不为自己的行为负责, 他们会灭亡。

人は何かの犠牲なしに何も得ることはできない。何かを得るためには同等の代価が必要になる。それが、生活における等価交換の原則だ。その頃僕らは、それが世界の真実だと信じていた。時間は、最も貴重な資源である。だから、誰の時間もあなたは無駄にしてはいけないし、誰もが他の人の時間を無駄にしないでください。
WhiteMagick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2015, 11:28 AM   #5113
WhiteMagick
Moderator - Επιτηρητής

MITTWOCH, 29. JULI 2015 Neumarkt | Quartier VII

http://www.bausituation-dresden.de/2...rtier-vii.html

如果希腊国民继续信阴谋论,外资救世主的,不为自己的行为负责, 他们会灭亡。

人は何かの犠牲なしに何も得ることはできない。何かを得るためには同等の代価が必要になる。それが、生活における等価交換の原則だ。その頃僕らは、それが世界の真実だと信じていた。時間は、最も貴重な資源である。だから、誰の時間もあなたは無駄にしてはいけないし、誰もが他の人の時間を無駄にしないでください。

Bosi, Roman_P, JustinHerman, Jozef77, Tiaren and 7 others liked this post
WhiteMagick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2015, 09:52 PM   #5114
Steve Gatlin

Likes (Received): 20

I look at these pictures of the Neumarkt and I have to remind myself that it was a parking lot not that long ago.
Old August 11th, 2015, 03:41 PM   #5115
JustinHerman

Likes (Received): 169

I miss Erbse and his knowledgeable, insightful, and sometimes tart comments. I wish he would come back.
Old August 11th, 2015, 07:40 PM   #5116
Ludi
✪ Mr. Ludolf ✪

Likes (Received): 34649

Palais Hoym

At Dresdner Neumarkt one of the last major vacant lots get closed in the coming years. The CG group wants to complete the Quartier III / 2. On Friday afternoon, the company plans to present his plans to the people of Dresden.

From 17 clock, an information event situates at Hotel Suitess near the Neumarkt, so the CG Group, which wants to build on the Post Place and in the Friedrich-city next to the Neumarkt-Quartier. "It is particularly important to us that the citizens of Dresden and all the neighbors of the property are extensively informed by the planning and procedural status of this important project," says Christoph Gröner, managing partner of the CG Group. "

Source: Arstempano

soweit nicht anders angegeben außerhalb von den Skybars.

Berlin Projects
Ludi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2015, 10:58 PM   #5117
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Imagine the whole city looking like that.

I hope they will completely reconstruct it, I just can't stand any new postmodern crap on that square.

JustinHerman, robertwood, Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by Titan Man; August 12th, 2015 at 12:21 AM.
Old August 12th, 2015, 11:10 AM   #5118
cilindr0

Likes (Received): 725

The render looks like it says something about a garden, it will be public? There are renders?

Zaz965 liked this post
cilindr0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2015, 03:10 PM   #5119
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1677

Quote:
Originally Posted by cilindr0 View Post
The render looks like it says something about a garden, it will be public? There are renders?
Also, the Palais Hoym is always the featured and spotlighted structure of this quartier, but there are several other buildings that make up the entire area...and by placement, actually have a great impact on the street level views. Does there remain a commitment to the plan to reconstruct the other houses in historic fashion?

Zaz965 liked this post
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2015, 08:36 PM   #5120
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Are there any news from the information event that took place this afternoon?

Zaz965 liked this post

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, construction updates, dresden, reconstruction, redevelopment, rekonstrucje, rekonstruktion, sachsen