daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 7th, 2015, 08:32 PM   #5141
The Eagle

Likes (Received): 3486

There is some reconstruction coming up in the castle. Some pictures on the fence at the castle:

http://www.deutsches-architektur-for...5&postcount=64

Sponsored Links
Old September 27th, 2015, 03:00 AM   #5142
The Eagle

The Atlan is going to be good!

Old September 27th, 2015, 03:25 AM   #5143
The Eagle

Some more updates
Pelican was installed
[imd]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-khey4mCEnsQ/VgQoR7hxVdI/AAAAAAAAeAU/zkjDDsetqBA/s320/1.JPG[/img]

The Pelikan was missing a wing

bausituation dresden
Old September 27th, 2015, 03:53 PM   #5144
Strykr

Likes (Received): 31

What other baroque neighborhoods existed in pre-war Dresden besides the Neumarkt?

Zaz965 liked this post
Strykr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2015, 03:58 PM   #5145
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1677

Baroque and neo Baroque mixed with renaissance and rococo structures/neighborhoods were all over Dresden. The Neustadt was loaded. And the large residential neighborhoods had tons of multi unit dwellings as well as villas in these styles. When former Dresden is referred to as 'florence of the north' and as an architectural jewel, it is not just referring to the altstadt. The city managed, over the decades to the 1930s, to maintain the spirit and integrity of its baroque heritage in much of its new projects.
Old September 28th, 2015, 05:08 PM   #5146
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 718

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepthepast View Post

Baroque and neo Baroque mixed with renaissance and rococo structures/neighborhoods were all over Dresden. The Neustadt was loaded. And the large residential neighborhoods had tons of multi unit dwellings as well as villas in these styles. When former Dresden is referred to as 'florence of the north' and as an architectural jewel, it is not just referring to the altstadt. The city managed, over the decades to the 1930s, to maintain the spirit and integrity of its baroque heritage in much of its new projects.
That's why I think there should be more reconstructions of historical buildings in Dresden, no matter if they were historicist or baroque. The fabric of the city was so complex, but, unfortunately, centuries of work and progress were erased in a single night and further more destroyed by those idiotic communists. If someone asked me, I would demolish almost every single commie building in the world, except for those that have become symbols of a city or an area, like Berlin's TV Tower. Unfortunately, those buildings are being preserved as "historical monuments", when there are thousands of buildings that truly deserve to be restored and to show people how a society was developing over the years.
Old September 29th, 2015, 01:13 AM   #5147
keepthepast

Berlin's TV tower is the symbol of Berlin? Interesting communist joke. A huge rectal thermometer making sure oppressed people 'get it'.
Old September 29th, 2015, 01:15 AM   #5148
MojoRisin123

Likes (Received): 85

Keep your bilis far from architectural theards please.

Tolbert, Zaz965 liked this post
MojoRisin123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2015, 10:13 AM   #5149
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57847

Also "difficult" buildings and monuments can be the symbol of a city for sure.
Same goes for the Culture Palace in Warsaw, the Kremlin in Moscow, the London Tower, the Tian’anmen Square in Beijing, various castles/palaces/fortifications or any symbol of victory, like Arc de Triomphe in Paris or the Victory Column in Berlin and its TV Tower, as well as the Berlin Wall. After all, any representation of power and force will have some sort of "dark" past. Human history is a history of violence, brutality, oppression - and of liberation, hope and new beginnings.

After all, Dresden might be the perfect built analogy of the contradicting history of mankind!

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2015, 03:38 PM   #5150
intervention
planning inaction

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepthepast View Post
Berlin's TV tower is the symbol of Berlin? Interesting communist joke. A huge rectal thermometer making sure oppressed people 'get it'.
Yes, it is a symbol of Berlin in the same way the Brandenburger Tor is. Visit the city, it's shape is iconic and represented in almost everything Berlin-related.

ChuckScraperMiami#1, Zaz965 liked this post
intervention no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2015, 06:00 PM   #5151
william070

Likes (Received): 41

Visited Dresden yesterday and I was truly impressed with all the reconstructions that I saw. Well done! Now hope the 'modernists' won't win from the 'traditionalist' (as I am....)

erbse, Zaz965 liked this post
william070 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2015, 02:10 AM   #5152
keepthepast

Quote:
Originally Posted by intervention View Post
Yes, it is a symbol of Berlin in the same way the Brandenburger Tor is. Visit the city, it's shape is iconic and represented in almost everything Berlin-related.
Have visited many times and lived there for a 3-month project. Symbols are often marketing-driven rather than truly symbolic of historic worthiness. And to me the tower is without worthiness other than a height claim.
Old September 30th, 2015, 04:24 AM   #5153
emperormadness

Likes (Received): 35

Hello, you all! I've been reading this topic (and others which are similar) for a while and I've finally decided to join the discussion. I am really interested in the preservation and restoration of historical heritage, so I've been following this topic about the reconstructions in Dresden with great interest. I have a couple of questions/curiosities about the project and Dresden in general, if anyone could help with this:

1. Looking at the reconstruction project map on wikipedia (I can't paste the link since I don't have enough posts...), I was wondering which of the buildings marked with black there (Hotel Hilton, Albertinum, Kuntsakademie, etc.) were rebuilt immediately after the war and which buildings were rebuilt much later? My mother visited Dresden during the 1980's and she thought the Neumarkt area was grim and dull and pretty much lot reconstructed in any way. I tried to compare all sorts of images of pre-1989 Dresden to what I see here, but I still can't tell if those buildings had been reconstructed when my mom visited the city

2. What is the state of the reconstruction project? From the images I've seen, it seems that the only quartiers not finished are VI to VIII...is this correct or am I mistaken? When is the project supposed to be finished?

Thanks a lot!

Zaz965 liked this post
emperormadness no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2015, 02:51 PM   #5154
Tolbert

Likes (Received): 1607

None of the buildings had been reconstructed after the war. The Johanneum and the Castle where started in later years...

Zaz965 liked this post
Tolbert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2015, 03:36 PM   #5155
keepthepast

The Hilton Hotel (which was not a Hilton when built) began construction in 1987. By that time the Albertium and other museums had been "repaired" and were functioning. The Semper Opera house had been fully and artistically restored by 1985, as had much of the Swinger, although not as perfectly as the Semper. But the vast space of Neumarkt from the castle ruins to the police headquarters was empty...with the lone statue of Martin Luther as a break in the emptiness.

ChuckScraperMiami#1, Zaz965 liked this post
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2015, 07:46 PM   #5156
Saxonia

Likes (Received): 7398

Quote:
Originally Posted by emperormadness View Post
1. Looking at the reconstruction project map on wikipedia (I can't paste the link since I don't have enough posts...), I was wondering which of the buildings marked with black there (Hotel Hilton, Albertinum, Kuntsakademie, etc.) were rebuilt immediately after the war and which buildings were rebuilt much later? My mother visited Dresden during the 1980's and she thought the Neumarkt area was grim and dull and pretty much lot reconstructed in any way. I tried to compare all sorts of images of pre-1989 Dresden to what I see here, but I still can't tell if those buildings had been reconstructed when my mom visited the city
I guess you refer to this map

It depends on what you understand under "immediately after the war". In general, the first years after the war (late 45/46/47/48) no or very less major reconstructions of great representative buildings did occure. Especially in the Soviet Zone. Minor damaged buildings were saved and rebuilt at first and valuable ruins secured.

Here you see a detail of a damage Map made by the city in 1945/1946.

black: totally destroyed (total zerstört)
blue: heavily damaged (schwer zerstört)
green: moderate heavily damaged (mittelschwer zerstört)
red: low damaged (leicht zerstört)

Rebuilt immediately or shortly after the war were the Kunstakademie (Lipsius Bau), Polizeipräsidium, Oberlandesgericht (Ständehaus) followed by Johanneum, Albertinum, Landeshaus, Georgentor, Sekundogenitur (The slim building between the lettering "Terrassengasse" and "Brühlsche Terrasse" in the wiki map) and the small wing buildings of the Coselpalais from 1973 to 1975.
Not on the first map but also rebuilt till the 80s: Schauspielhaus, Sempergalerie, Zwinger, Hofkirche, Altstädtische Hauptwache (Schinkelwache), Neues Rathaus, Kreuzkirche, Gewandhaus. In the 80s the Semperoper was rebuilt and the rebuilding of the Castle slowly began. The todays Hilton and the east side of the Münzgasse are postmodern GDR buildings of the late 80s.

Last edited by Saxonia; September 30th, 2015 at 08:03 PM.
Saxonia está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2015, 08:24 PM   #5157
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Is there a map that shows how much of Dresden was destroyed? Saxonia's map is very useful, but I'm interested in how much of the whole Dresden was destroyed.

Zaz965 liked this post
Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2015, 01:02 AM   #5158
Saxonia

Likes (Received): 7398

Percentages are always kinda wischiwaschi IMO. I can post the link to all the maps. They cover up most of Dresden. I've made the experience, that this map as very accurate. Most of the buildings listed as destroyed are gone and buildings reported as less damaged are mostly preserved until today.

Titan Man liked this post
Saxonia está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2015, 01:49 AM   #5159
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Thank you very much for the maps, Saxonia. I still have this crazy wish that the city could actually be completely reconstructed in the future, so I was interested in how big was the damage and how hard would it be to reconstruct the whole city. Too bad it will never happen.

Zaz965 liked this post
Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2015, 08:35 AM   #5160
emperormadness

Likes (Received): 35

Hey, thank you all for your replies! Saxonia, thank you very much for your elaborate response and for the map, it's really enlightening! I guess that even though some of the historical monuments had been reconstructed by the 1980's, the sad image of the empty Neumarkt was very powerful for most of the visitors. Glad it's being reconstructed.

When is the project scheduled to be finished?

Zaz965 liked this post
emperormadness no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, construction updates, dresden, reconstruction, redevelopment, rekonstrucje, rekonstruktion, sachsen