daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 5th, 2008, 08:15 PM   #501
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

Great post Agnus!

Highcliff liked this post
Unionstation13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 6th, 2008, 09:54 PM   #502
skysurfer26
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnus View Post
I was born in city whose Latin name is Vratislavia (Wroclaw, Breslau, Presslaw, Wrotizla). I know very well history that Poles, Germans, Jews, Austrians and Czechs share in places like that. My home town is great example of Central European "mikrocosmos" - where during last 1000 years people from many countries and cultures lived. We should not blame anyone for his parents or grandparents sins but we also should remember the past. I agree with Unionstation13 that it's great if Germans reconstruct Dresden, and it has nothing to do with Warsaw (as Da3won suggested). But I also know that Jews and Poles were major victims of WWII. Germans lost the war, paid the price in blood and in land. Soviets won, but the price was very high too (largest number of killed citizens). Fortunately for Germans, after WWII, most of its country has been under US occupation so they are almost 50 years "behind" comparing to countries occupied by Soviet Union. That is why some Poles, even today, are bit bitter (we were victims, being on Allied side we won the war, but being under Soviet occupation we lost almost 50 years). I hope that future is bright, only one condition is mutual respect and understanding (not aggression, hate and racism that made WWII possible). I am happy that Dresden is reconstructed, I am happy that there is chance for similar projects in Wroclaw. Sorry for this off-topic but I could not resist ...
Great Post !!

If one day Breslau is reconstructed like Dresden is, that would be such great news for all Europe !!

Breslau was and is with no doubt one of the most beautiful cities in central Europe, and due to history and Soviet ocupation, it went back in time more than 50 years, I think in no other big city in Europe happens that the city was more prosper, economically and culturally before 1945 than now a days, even the last years a lot of good work is done......lets cross our fingers and hope hate and nationalism doesnt blind politics to preserve and bring back some of the lost heritage jewels of central Europe !!
skysurfer26 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 04:45 PM   #503
Caustic
wie Friedrichstraße

Likes (Received): 905

I'm craving for updates. C'mon Kampfly, help us out!

Chi governa deve avere a cuore massimamente la bellezza della città per cagione e diletto e allegrezza dei forestieri, per onore, prosperità e accrescimento della città e dei cittadini - Costituto Senese, 1309

[ Il sonno dell'ironia genera imbecilli ]
Caustic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 06:49 PM   #504
skysurfer26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by makrolone View Post
Where is Breslau?

I dont know
Its so funny...people can call Warsaw-Varsovia....Den Haag - La Haya....
Venezzia-Venice..and such a long etc...in so many languages...why some polish get so alergic to one of the correct names of their city?...you will have to start getting over the history of your city, because now a days everybody in Europe knows the past of Breslau and what happened there....its nobodys fault now a days, but its like this, and if you have such a great city today its in part thanks to the german inhabitans that lived there and made the city so prospere just 60 years ago...for more than 300 years...and common , dont be so childish....If we look so back in time to reclaim the origin of a city, this city should be Zcech and therefor called Vratislavia !!
Old January 10th, 2008, 07:42 PM   #505
skysurfer26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by makrolone View Post

:

btw...i dont like wroclaw...i prefer krakow, lviv or vilnius

Lviv was polish for more than 500 years but I do not speak LWOW

I think Breslau is much more beautiful than Krakow but thats just my personal opinion, but I agree with you that Lwow is a very beautiful city !!

And you are right, because almost 70% of the actual citizens of Breslau come originally(their parents) from Lwow, they emptied Lwow of Polish to bring them to Breslau that was emptied of germans...one of the terrible things that Stalin made after winning the war....but I am sure if some grandmothers and grandfathers polish that still live today, and were born in Lwow, I am sure when they talk about the place they were born, they refer to it as Lwow and not Lviv..and you can not blame them for that at all !!

So please, about this 2 special cities in Central Europe...call them as you like, everybody can do so, as far as we are talking about the same place !!

Cheers
Old January 10th, 2008, 08:07 PM   #506
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Window View Post
I'm craving for updates. C'mon Kampfly, help us out!
Ask and ye shall receive.

You can see the Kurländer Palais at the end of that street

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."

Kampflamm está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 10:24 PM   #507
EszettRocks

Likes (Received): 187

This view will be quite a knock-out when Kurländer Palais & Co. are finished.
EszettRocks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2008, 06:16 PM   #508
Thorgeirr
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Kampflamm, cant you make a thread about museum island in Berlin?
Thorgeirr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2008, 06:28 PM   #509
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57847

No, he better can't. It'd only hurt everyone's eyes after seeing this Dresden thread.

Just look at this, this, this or that - but don't say I wouldn't have warned you.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Last edited by erbse; January 12th, 2008 at 06:57 PM.
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2008, 08:45 PM   #510
Thorgeirr
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

What is this freak of nature???

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1310/...ff4e8108_b.jpg
Thorgeirr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 09:39 PM   #511
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

An art gallery.

New pics.

Heinrich-Schütz-Residenz and modern building (not too much space)

Kulturpalast in the background

Quartier III

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."

Old January 15th, 2008, 10:20 PM   #512
eklips

Likes (Received): 5022

You got to a admit that a big part of it looks tacky, though we have worst in Paris though, Disney has been constructing a suburb (a real one, not a theme park, though the difference is narrow in this case) near disneyland with pseudo-19th century architecture.
eklips no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 12:57 AM   #513
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

How do you define tacky? Again, I think it's just because it looks brand new (besides, they're not fake Disney buildings). They'll change some of the colors though (that peach colored fire wall will be grey soon). Anyway, I'm sure Warsaw's old town looked "tacky" immediately after they reconstructed it as well.

Old January 16th, 2008, 01:33 AM   #514
Giri

In France, Saint-Malo is the only town that was fully reconstructed. It's not tacky but just exaggerated. But one more time, it was about façadism.

IMO, the materials used are very important. I'm not sure that time will be generous with those newer buildings in Dresden. As I once said, there are many projects in France that imitate vernacular architecture or urban buildings : they age badly because of lack of quality materials.
Old January 16th, 2008, 01:39 AM   #515
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Only the finest Corinthian leather was used in the construction.

Old January 16th, 2008, 01:42 AM   #516
Darryl

Likes (Received): 102

I agree Kampflamm. I think people keep saying it's tacky because they are not used to seeing old style buildings brand spanking new. As soon as one sees an "old" building that looks perfectly new one begins to think "Disney World".

I used to do antique furniture reproduction and we had to use many techniques to make a brand new piece of furniture look old. We beat them up with rocks, scratched them with razor blades, poked fake worm holes in them with ice picks, dirtied-up the creases/cracks/corners with paint, etc... It's called distressing.

They are not going to "distress" brand new buildings to make them appear older. Time, sun, weather, pollution, will do that naturally.
Darryl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 04:29 AM   #517
Unionstation13

Yes, they built some 'old fashioned' townhouses near my neighborhood a few years ago and when they were finished people thought they looked "plastic" but over time due to the forces, it has kind of settled and become rather attractive.

Old January 16th, 2008, 03:06 PM   #518
savas
head up funny boy

Likes (Received): 413

I said it before, i say it again. This project is fantastic and i wish many cities would follow this example. Keep the historic parts of your city alive! Absolut klasse!!
savas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 03:45 PM   #519
pflo777
BANNED

Likes (Received): 89

http://panorama.dresden.de/
pflo777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 05:31 PM   #520
Unionstation13

Quote:
Originally Posted by savas View Post
I said it before, i say it again. This project is fantastic and i wish many cities would follow this example. Keep the historic parts of your city alive! Absolut klasse!!
I agree, I think cities everywhere should rebuild their historic downtowns.
I wish Indy would, I'd love to see second empire come back.

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, construction updates, dresden, reconstruction, redevelopment, rekonstrucje, rekonstruktion, sachsen