daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 18th, 2016, 06:24 PM   #5261
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 719

That would be lovely, but a new building was recently built there and another one was renovated , so I don't know how that'll go. Pirnaischer Platz, on the other hand, probably won't be reconstructed since the buildings were historicist there, and we all know how enthusiastic architects are when it comes to reconstruction, especially of a building that'd stood there for 50 years and it's been missing for 70 years.
Anyway, the city should make a long-term plan of its possible urbanization and development, it has too many undeveloped plots and cheap commieblocks for a city that was considered as a major European cultural hub. It's kinda embarrassing, if you think about it.

Off topic. How come that Augustus Bridge survived the war, since, you know, it's in the middle of the city center and we all know how buildings there, if there were any, looked after that horrible night. I've been interested since I found out that another bridge, Carola Bridge, next to the city center, didn't survive the war and was replaced by a commie vomit.

keepthepast liked this post

Last edited by Titan Man; January 18th, 2016 at 06:30 PM.
Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 18th, 2016, 09:48 PM   #5262
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1677

ChinaBRICS, any chance you are available to be mayor of Dresden?

ChinaBRICS liked this post
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2016, 10:21 PM   #5263
keepthepast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan Man View Post

Off topic. How come that Augustus Bridge survived the war, since, you know, it's in the middle of the city center and we all know how buildings there, if there were any, looked after that horrible night. I've been interested since I found out that another bridge, Carola Bridge, next to the city center, didn't survive the war and was replaced by a commie vomit.
Yes, Augustus Bridge "survived" meaning it was not bombed to a point of non- use, but it was heavily damaged. Not unlike the Frauenkirche that actually survived the bombing nights but collapsed the next day due to heat-weakened walls. It is somewhat miraculous that the Augustus bridge was not more damaged, but I have never read anything that would suggest the bombers attempted to avoid it.

Titan Man liked this post
Old January 18th, 2016, 11:11 PM   #5264
Saxonia

Likes (Received): 7404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan Man View Post
Well, it is not so easy to destroy a vault bridge from above. It is basically just a flat street. Some bombs may have hit and damaged the surface though.
Anyway, the Augustusbrücke just like the Carolbrücke, Marienbrücke and Albertbrücke were blown up by Waffen SS and Wehrmacht troops on 7th May 1945. The Loschwitzer Brücke (Blaues Wunder) was prepared too but civilians cut off the blasting fuse. Carolabrücke was completely destroyed whereas the other bridges suffered only damage of some vaults.

Saxonia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2016, 12:22 AM   #5265
ChinaBRICS
BANNED

Likes (Received): 496

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepthepast View Post

ChinaBRICS, any chance you are available to be mayor of Dresden?
My wet dream is to become Mayor of Naples!
I can't believe that city isn't the most touristic in the world!
It has everything and in big amount.
I can turn it into a new Barcolena in 1 year without money or in a new Paris with some money in 5, in terms of tourism I mean.

But I'd accept Dresden any day!!!!

Just in case my phone#'s +5491157xxxxxx

Hahahaha!

The city were I live, Buenos Aires could recover some of it former allure in months we a good Mayor. But good politicians in Argentina is like finding water in the sun.
Old January 19th, 2016, 07:00 PM   #5266
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57898

If there are no good politicians, just become one...

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2016, 09:43 PM   #5267
keepthepast

....then you'll become a bad one.

In the US, at least, all well-intended politicians get accepted into the "club" only if they play the game and become part of the scam; from the president on down. This could change, though, soon.
Old January 19th, 2016, 11:54 PM   #5268
erbse
LIBERTINED

Can't say that from the politicians I've met in the US, nor for the ones I know in Germany, UK, Poland or other countries. Though, lobbyism is very widespread everywhere, but I guess that hasn't been different at any point in history. You become a politician to do something for your interests or a broader vision and other people/groups will approach you for just that or some other specific interest. Politics are just the coordinator for various interests within an entity.

After all, we're all "lobbying" for reconstructions and classical architecture as well here, it's a minority interest but we think it's good for everyone. So, let's be politicians everyone and change our region/world for the better. You don't have to be a biggie to do something of merit locally.

Old January 20th, 2016, 12:48 AM   #5269
keepthepast

Lobbying in its honest form is one thing, as we do here and hope to gain support for good causes by showing worthy need and long term value.

Lobbying in the vast majority of US political venues is about exchanging money, ie bribes. No one can "make it" in Washington without getting their hands in the pot. Dirty little secret that is not so much a secret as it is the status quo no one has the power (or desire) to change.

That said, are there actually specific, dedicated lobbying groups in Dresden actively fighting for reconstructions and against developments like Prager Strasse?

Old January 20th, 2016, 09:14 AM   #5270
Tolbert

Likes (Received): 1607

"Gesellschaft historischer Neumarkt" could count as such a lobby group i think.
Though, theire not very powerfull as it seems...
Tolbert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2016, 03:23 PM   #5271
erbse
LIBERTINED

The GHND of Dresden is more 'powerful' now than any comparable group rooting for classical architecture/reconstructions in all of Europe though, except the Prince's Foundation in the UK perhaps.

Old January 21st, 2016, 10:16 PM   #5272
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Hope they'll become even more powerful with time.

Anyway, I've always wondered why the Katholische Hofkirche's interior looks quite simple for a baroque Catholic church built by a king (if you can call a baroque church "simple" ) , so I did some research, and I found an original plan on Wiki (probably) made by the building's architect which shows more ornamented and richer interior. My question is, was the church built with elaborate interior that was simplified after war (like Kreuzkirche) or was it just a plan that wasn't executed (because of lack of funds or something else)? Thanks in advance.
Old January 21st, 2016, 10:45 PM   #5273
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

The Katholische Hofkirche looked austere like that even before the war. The building is a pretty faithful reconstruction inside and out. It was also one of the first if not THE first rebuild historical buiding after the war in Dresden.

Titan Man, Mruczek liked this post
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2016, 11:47 PM   #5274
Saxonia

Likes (Received): 7404

The Hofkirche was built in the core land of protestant reformation. It was a huge scandal when elector August the Strong converted to catholizism in 1697 just to became king of Poland. Because in the empire there still was the principle 'cuius regio, eius religio'. August had to denounce his right to impose his new faith on his people. And when everything had calmed down a little in 1717 and everybody was preparing for the bicentenary of the reformation, it came out that his son, the later elector Friedrich-August II. (or August III as polish king), converted to catholizism secretely already in 1712. Again a huge outcry not only among the civil society but also at the court.
Those tensions in Saxony and especially in Dresden were the main reason why the church was built such a long time after the Albertines converted. And to reduce the provocation, the church was built with an almost protestant modest interior. Though initial it was planned to decorate the vault with paintings which was deferred with the upcoming of the classicist movement and completely dropped when the 7 years war broke out.
It is kinda ironic that the Frauenkirche, which was a direct answer of the lutheran city community to the catholic Hofkirche, actually looks more catholic than the Hofkirche.

Last edited by Saxonia; January 22nd, 2016 at 06:34 PM.
Saxonia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2016, 04:10 PM   #5275
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Thank you for your answers. The Hofkirche is definitely one of my all-time favourite churches, especially because of its spectacular baroque statues and the glimpse of Italy it brings to Dresden. It is actually very interesting to me how a protestant church, Frauenkirche, is much more elaborate and ornated than Hofkirche.
Old January 22nd, 2016, 08:08 PM   #5276
keepthepast

Also, because of the local outrage about the king's catholic faith, most of the local Lutheran workmen refused to be employed to build the Hofkirche. As a result, they recruited an almost all-Italian work force of laborers and craftsmen to build the structure, which is, in part, the reason for its significant Italian-style design elements.

Hertog, Titan Man liked this post
Old January 23rd, 2016, 11:53 PM   #5277
Spam King
Make America Great Again!

Likes (Received): 561

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiaren View Post
The Katholische Hofkirche looked austere like that even before the war. The building is a pretty faithful reconstruction inside and out. It was also one of the first if not THE first rebuild historical buiding after the war in Dresden.
Here's a historical photo of the church

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!

Titan Man, JustinHerman liked this post
Spam King no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 12:28 AM   #5278
Mruczek
Warrior of Excel

Likes (Received): 13458

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepthepast View Post
You're being contrary just to be contrary, again. Of course reconstructions can be built accurately even if the street, open space, and adjacent structure grids surrounding them is altered a few feet here and there.
Either accurate, or "altered".

Either German quality, or cheap fake.

Dresden deserves the former.
Barcelona Budapeszt Grodno Kowno Madryt Moskwa Ukraina

Last edited by Mruczek; January 24th, 2016 at 12:34 AM.
Mruczek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2016, 11:41 AM   #5279
calabrone

Likes (Received): 283

In the old Postcard from our gallery with old churches in Dresden (Sophienkirche/Josephinenstift/Kreuzkirche etc.) above you can see the "Loge" for the royal family - destroyed in 1945. In my opinion, there are two reasons why the church looked as it looked: first - there wasn't enough money (Frauenkirche = 288,000 Reichstaler, Hofkirche = more than 900,000 Reichtstaler...); second - the new feeling for classicism.
Return to the Neumarkt: We have a new Panorama from the belvedere onthe roof of the Regimentshaus. The next three panos I will publish at the end of the week; they will show the court of the Palais Hoym...

One important request: If you post a picture from Arstempano, please embed a link to the respective gallery of Arstempano!

Old January 30th, 2016, 10:43 AM   #5280
WhiteMagick
Moderator - Επιτηρητής

DIENSTAG, 26. JANUAR 2016 Neumarkt | Quartier VII/2

http://www.bausituation-dresden.de/2...tier-vii2.html

如果希腊国民继续信阴谋论,外资救世主的,不为自己的行为负责, 他们会灭亡。

人は何かの犠牲なしに何も得ることはできない。何かを得るためには同等の代価が必要になる。それが、生活における等価交換の原則だ。その頃僕らは、それが世界の真実だと信じていた。時間は、最も貴重な資源である。だから、誰の時間もあなたは無駄にしてはいけないし、誰もが他の人の時間を無駄にしないでください。

erbse, JustinHerman, Bosi liked this post
WhiteMagick no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, construction updates, dresden, reconstruction, redevelopment, rekonstrucje, rekonstruktion, sachsen