daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 20th, 2016, 08:53 PM   #5341
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

God, I really hate these silly "Oh, this looks fake!" or "This is like Disneyland!" or "This is not better than Skopje 2014!" drive by posts in this thread, the Berlin City Palace and the Potsdam thread. Always by people who have just no clue.
First of all, these are real buildings, with real walls, a real roof and they were built with high quality materials and according to building regulations. This is Germany! So how are these buildings fake?
Secondly, this are not some fantasy products. These are close replications of buildings that actually once stood on that exact spot. Facades that competent baroque architects (whose names and other work we often know) designed. If the exact plans are lost for some reason, art historians reconstruct them with the help of old photos , drawings and paintings in meticulous detail supervised by the Denkmalamt "Office for Monuments and Antiquities". Often original parts that were salvaged after the war are incorporated into the new buildings. So how is this Disney or like Skopje or Las Vegas? Geez...

cinxxx, Titan Man, erbse, Roman_P, Cager and 10 others liked this post
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 20th, 2016, 09:30 PM   #5342
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 718

Don't pay attention to those comments, Tiaren. Every few pages a troll comes, interrupts one of the most amazing threads of the whole forum with its stupid illogical posts, and leaves without even explaining its arguments and views, instead of just asking why do these buildings look the way they do or simply expressing their opinion without the words "fake", "Disneyland" and others. Ignorance...

Bazukstan74, UrbanMyth liked this post
Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2016, 09:48 PM   #5343
Roman_P

Likes (Received): 1774

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan Man View Post
Don't pay attention to those comments, Tiaren. Every few pages a troll comes, interrupts one of the most amazing threads of the whole forum with its stupid illogical posts, and leaves without even explaining its arguments and views, instead of just asking why do these buildings look the way they do or simply expressing their opinion without the words "fake", "Disneyland" and others. Ignorance...
You simplify things. They are not always trolls, some peolple really think this way and try to prove their point of view. I don't agree with most of their arguments but that doesn't mean they just tease and should be ignored.

flierfy liked this post
Roman_P no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2016, 09:55 PM   #5344
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman_P View Post
You simplify things. They are not always trolls, some peolple really think this way and try to prove their point of view. I don't agree with most of their arguments but that doesn't mean they just tease and should be ignored.
I know, but I was specifically referring to real trolls that just come here, spit a hateful comment, and leave without even mentioning any real arguments. I get that we all have different tastes, but before writing a nonsense, try asking, that's why we have forums in the first place, to share knowledge and experience. I have written some nonsense myself few times (or more ), and now I know better: Ask before commenting. It's that simple.

Tiaren liked this post
Old March 21st, 2016, 04:59 PM   #5345
Architecture lover

Likes (Received): 1284

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiaren View Post
God, I really hate these silly "Oh, this looks fake!" or "This is like Disneyland!" or "This is not better than Skopje 2014!" drive by posts in this thread, the Berlin City Palace and the Potsdam thread. Always by people who have just no clue.
First of all, these are real buildings, with real walls, a real roof and they were built with high quality materials and according to building regulations. This is Germany! So how are these buildings fake?
Secondly, this are not some fantasy products. These are close replications of buildings that actually once stood on that exact spot. Facades that competent baroque architects (whose names and other work we often know) designed. If the exact plans are lost for some reason, art historians reconstruct them with the help of old photos , drawings and paintings in meticulous detail supervised by the Denkmalamt "Office for Monuments and Antiquities". Often original parts that were salvaged after the war are incorporated into the new buildings. So how is this Disney or like Skopje or Las Vegas? Geez...
First of all you can't really say I have no clue. Just because I don't like your way of doing/building things, doesn't mean I have no clue. Second I was only stating an opinion, that doesn't have to correspond with yours.
I think the buildings that I mentioned previously do look artificial, no less that those other examples that you are mentioning. It's the first impression I have about them when I see them, they just don't look organic or very high quality to me, quite the opposite. They look like they have been built all in the same time, (which they did I suppose) while they are desperately trying to look or imitate something that was there before. That's all. Just another's person point of view. #theyalsolookpostmoderninaway
Architecture lover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2016, 12:40 AM   #5346
doguorsi2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7047

These buildings are also very new. I believe they will look more "in place" as they age. Right now, some of them, especially the roofs have that "plastic" look but I am certain that will fade away over time. Overall, I am glad to see Germany is re-building its architectural heritage. Architect that are interested in classicism have a lot to learn from such projects. I am also closely watching the Berlin Palace being re-erected. It is probably the most successful new classical building project in the world today.
doguorsi2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2016, 07:11 PM   #5347
Spam King
Make America Great Again!

Likes (Received): 561

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architecture lover View Post
First of all you can't really say I have no clue. Just because I don't like your way of doing/building things, doesn't mean I have no clue. Second I was only stating an opinion, that doesn't have to correspond with yours.
I think the buildings that I mentioned previously do look artificial, no less that those other examples that you are mentioning. It's the first impression I have about them when I see them, they just don't look organic or very high quality to me, quite the opposite.
You've never to Dresden, right?

Quote:
They look like they have been built all in the same time, (which they did I suppose) while they are desperately trying to look or imitate something that was there before. That's all. Just another's person point of view.
They're exact reconstructions of what was there before.

Quote:
#theyalsolookpostmoderninaway

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!

cyril sneer, JustinHerman liked this post
Spam King no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2016, 07:36 PM   #5348
pccvspw999

Likes (Received): 1832

Did anyone see how those buildings appeared as those were new?
Can anybody say how these new buildings will appear in a couple of centuries?
I guess the answer is "no" to both questions.
pccvspw999 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2016, 10:02 PM   #5349
bavarian urbanist
Verdens Beste

Likes (Received): 647

Quote:
Originally Posted by pccvspw999 View Post
Did anyone see how those buildings appeared as those were new?
Can anybody say how these new buildings will appear in a couple of centuries?
I guess the answer is "no" to both questions.
Detto!
Though I can say that those built with styrofoam facades will probably not age in a nice way. That's not much of a problem though, and might be resolved by the evolution of building materials. After all, we can't say what technical possibilities we'll have in some decades or even years.

What I really don't like about this thread is that there's the reconstruction fundamentalists on one side and the new-is-always-better fundamentalists on the other side. Can't we find a middle ground? Consensus anybody?

Tolbert liked this post
bavarian urbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2016, 10:19 PM   #5350
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

I don't have any problems with modern architecture in particular, it can actually be quite nice and warm when it wants to be, especially if you look through projects in European cities these days. But, in this case, I have to say that the new buildings are the ones that look artificial and fake because there are far too many of them. You just have to look at Quartier III, which probably has the biggest number of modern buildings. To me, they interrupt the historical character of the reconstructed ones. It doesn't look like they naturally replaced the old ones, a thing that happened in many cities across Europe, it all seems planned and coordinated, but doomed to fail, at least in my eyes. I don't know if any of you share my opinion, but I won't try to like something that I just can't like, although I won't attack someone because he just doesn't share my personal opinion.

cyril sneer, erbse liked this post
Old March 23rd, 2016, 12:47 AM   #5351
The Eagle

Likes (Received): 3486

The problem is that the gov. officials, the departments, especially the Newmarket design commission is against reconstruction. Evan as the same gov. made the desissin 15 Years ago to re-construct. But the officials from back then are gone and criticize today`s officials.

The problem is not using democratic methods for stopping the rebuild.

Officially there`s nothing to be done by the department officials. But what`s strange is the fact that the rest of Germany is using Dresden as a dump of unwanted department officials. The Dresdner's complain all the time about this. I will give you some shocking examples.

watch this. This is what the investor, a family from Dresden rebuilding the Juedenhof

The family called Kimmerle had different designs for the modern not-reconstructions. But the design committee shot it down. Not modern enough they said. The family posted on the German Forum the alternative designs that everyone blow away. the committee basically presented there own design ideas! WTF? It`s not there project. But it was made very, very clear that it could take money losing years to get the construction approval, if the family doesn't back up und builds the new fillers in undesirable designs. Mr. Michael Kimmerle said so appearing on the German forum.

Unfortunally Mr Kimmerly took his alternative design pictures of the forum. I wanted to show them here. It`s a shame.

The director of the Museums also outed himself in the newspaper. He admitted bending the law to stop the reconstruction on the castle. This one will have consequences. He also admitted being jealous that Dresden is more nice than his home town. In the article he also stated that everyone supporting the reconstruction is a Nazi and need to be stopped at all cost`s. Including breaking the law. He said that to the newspaper! They printed it.
This will have consequences. He told in detail how he and "friends" misused federal gov. money!

Titan Man liked this post
The Eagle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2016, 10:28 PM   #5352
Architecture lover

Likes (Received): 1284

Edit...There's no point to discuss....I guess.

Last edited by Architecture lover; March 25th, 2016 at 10:37 PM.
Architecture lover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2016, 12:25 AM   #5353
calabrone

Likes (Received): 283

Hi - our new Plan from the newmarket - You can find this on the Jüdenhof before the dinglingerhouse - more Fotos you can find in the new bauticker of arstempano - also from the archäological district chiapponisches house and the Robotron areal

Titan Man, Cager, Roman_P, cilindr0, erbse liked this post
calabrone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2016, 02:57 PM   #5354
White Light
Shines in the dark...

Likes (Received): 942

one of the original integrated cellars

arstempano.de

Believe in architecture..........

JustinHerman, pccvspw999, Roman_P liked this post
White Light no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2016, 11:55 PM   #5355
The Eagle

A different project is moving ahead. The former waterworks station called Saloppe is getting a wing back that was destroyed during the war.

The new building will host exclusive loft Condos

build between 1871 and 1875

pic from bilderbuch

Nov 2015

March 2016

pic Anja Schneider DNN

pic Stefan Haessler
Old March 31st, 2016, 12:14 AM   #5356
The Eagle

And thanks to user Chris 1988 there is this big deal coming up in the hills around!

There is a 221m high hill where this 10m Tower opened in 1912.
Destroyed 45. Mr Thorsten Radig (Real estate) like to give something "special" back to Dresden and likes to spend 1 Million to rebuild the tower. The tower would be free to enter when finished. The foundation can be recycled.

pic from Stefan Haessler Bild news
Old April 1st, 2016, 02:52 AM   #5357
robertwood

Likes (Received): 273

It's really wonderful how these successful German men are helping to rebuild lost treasures. This happened with the Frauenkirche where Gunter Blobel donated his Nobel prize money and I know there are others who have donated to things like the Berliner Stadtschloss. What a wonderful legacy!
robertwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2016, 05:21 PM   #5358
Tolbert

Likes (Received): 1607

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eagle View Post
A different project is moving ahead. The former waterworks station called Saloppe is getting a wing back that was destroyed during the war.

The new building will host exclusive loft Condos

pic Stefan Haessler
But this will just be a modern addition in place of the former wing. So no reconstruction at all :/
Tolbert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2016, 08:37 AM   #5359
JustinHerman

Likes (Received): 169

On the contrary, Tolbert. What you're seeing in the photo is the concrete core. It will be sheathed in brick and stone to match the rest of the structure and will thus restore the entire building to its pre-war appearance. If you'll Google "Saloppe Water Works," you'll see renditions of the finished building. (I'm sure the images will bring a smile to your face, as they did with me.)

Meantime, I'm wondering if there are plans to reconstruct Restaurant/Gasthaus Saloppe on the bluff above the waterworks. Does anybody know?

Wiederschönmachung liked this post
JustinHerman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2016, 12:07 PM   #5360
Saxonia

Likes (Received): 7398

As far as I know, it is supposed to look like this:

Source: http://www.wasserwerk-saloppe.de/ans...lisierung.html

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, construction updates, dresden, reconstruction, redevelopment, rekonstrucje, rekonstruktion, sachsen