daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 4th, 2016, 11:05 PM   #5381
Spam King
Make America Great Again!

Likes (Received): 561

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan Man View Post
I've always wondered why the ornaments on some renovated buildings in Neustadt were painted, it looked like something almost unique for Dresden, especially since there are so many buildings in the city that use that technique (although I've seen it in other places, as well). Knowing the cause of it, it makes you think whether it would be interesting to add real, stone ornaments now, during renovation or reconstruction, but I guess it would rather be a controversial move.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiaren View Post
These plain and just painted facades looked like this also in the late baroque era. It's called "Hungerbarock" (hunger baroque) and is typical for Dresden and Saxony after Prussian forces bombed and occupied Dresden in the Seven Years War (1756–1763). When they rebuild the city back then they were just being "economic". So it's a good example for historical accuracy again.
It's not unique to Dresden and Saxony, though. I've seen it all across Germany. I wonder if it was for the same reasons?

I went to boarding school in southern Germany and I remember finding it very odd when I first arrived that the castle where the school is located had all it's facade details painted on instead of plaster or stone.

http://www.bodensee-linzgau.de/uploa..._Praelatur.jpg

https://media.holidaycheck.com/data/...1156048107.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...m_Panorama.jpg

PS: It's Schloss Salem in Baden-Württemberg on the Bodensee, by the way.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!

Last edited by Spam King; April 7th, 2016 at 07:55 PM.
Spam King no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 5th, 2016, 12:22 AM   #5382
nastyaheyyo

Likes (Received): 6

i love it!!! germany should do more reconstructions in the country!
Old April 18th, 2016, 12:02 PM   #5383
calabrone

Likes (Received): 283

Here you can go around over the "Neumarkt" with the trees on the place, where standing the "gewandhaus" (destroyed 1791). Here the link to the pano in the near of Martin Luther Monument.

erbse, Batavier, cinxxx, robertwood, soren5en liked this post
calabrone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2016, 02:58 PM   #5384
MikkelAndersen

Likes (Received): 259

When will they finish the rest? In one or two years?!?
MikkelAndersen está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2016, 07:48 PM   #5385
calabrone

Q VII.2 = summer/autumn 2016
Q III.2 = now the architects are working / 2017/18 ?
Frieseneck = 99.5% finish
Q VI = now the architects are working / beginning 2016?
Q VII.1 = ???
Hotel Stadt Rom = ???
Q V.1 = ???

erbse liked this post
Old April 18th, 2016, 07:59 PM   #5386
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 718

Have they decided what will be built at the Quartier III/2, mix of modern and reconstructions or just reconstructions?
Old April 19th, 2016, 03:55 PM   #5387
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57847

^ Afaik this is still the status for Quartier III/2, though some things might change (I esp. hope for Palais Riesch):

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
If you make the quite expensive decision to reconstruct baroque buildings, you have to compromise somewhere... I think the gardens won't be impossible in the future, not sure they'd be enjoyable in this constellation though. Anyway, I'm more than happy about the Hoym's courtyard.

This is what the proposed Quartier III-2 looks like from above in the plans:

/by CG-Gruppe

And in general the investor CG-Gruppe went for rather sensible and modest designs for the buildings at Quartier III-2 that won't be reconstructed, which can be seen here - actually it's much more than we all hoped for at this spot (even some mild attempts at historicising facades):

http://www.dnn.de/Dresden/Fotostreck...2#n13732759-p1

And here: http://www.stadtbild-deutschland.org...596#post212596

Another overview model here, with focus on Palais Hoym (showing a situation before the Police HQ was built):

Source: http://www.arstempano.de/typo3temp/pics/c158cc22cf.jpg

More impressions:

At Rampische Strasse. We all root for Palais Riesch to come back there, the "backside" of Palais Hoym.

R4 is a reconstruction, R2 to the right is a historicising new design by Pfau Architekten from Dresden (call me amazed)!

At Landhausstrasse.

L3 is a reconstruction, the rest are filler designs.

I'm a little worried about L15 there, clashing so badly with the neo-renaissance Police HQ next door.
They should modify this design or create another one.

But of course then there's the magnificent, the magic Palais Hoym, filling a large swathe of the whole block!

Additional courtyard renders three posts before this one.

All from: CG-Gruppe / http://www.dnn.de/Dresden/Fotostreck...2#n13732759-p1

Another good thing about all this is, that it's all individual facades and actual single buildings.
So two or more facades aren't combined to get more floorspace out of it, like in some other quarters (QI and QII, partly). And that means, reconstructions of further single facades are much easier to accomplish in the future, probably even without tearing down a building, just changing the facades.
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...#post129675189

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Titan Man, Steve Gatlin, KlausDiggy liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2016, 04:09 PM   #5388
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

IMO, there are far too many modern buildings, and, as it seems, we're getting only a couple of reconstructed buildings. Hope something will change soon, as this is one of the most important Quartiers of the Neumarkt project.

Opulentus liked this post
Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2016, 08:38 PM   #5389
calabrone

More pictures (28) and infos over the palais Hoym you can find in our gallery on arstempano. The rooms inside would have in the future a similar groundplan, but a new design. The Palais Riesch is definitly not coming (in german - DNN from today)

erbse, Titan Man liked this post
Old April 20th, 2016, 01:06 AM   #5390
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1677

Part of reconstruction the area should be a historic reverence to the landscape as well. As much as I am a tree-lover, I do not like the heavy stand of trees in in front of Quartier 6 as shown in the rendering. Awful. Just awful. At least with trees, my chain saw could suddenly go wild one night.

robertwood, ILOVENY liked this post
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2016, 11:18 AM   #5391
calabrone

but the trees on the forme place from the gewandhaus are much better than this: 1.Prize Gewandhaus
Old April 20th, 2016, 12:01 PM   #5392
nanar
nanar

Likes (Received): 1429

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleswordTW View Post
Yes, Sweden wasn't part of any of the world wars, but I would like to quote an american tourist in Stockholm in 70s asked his swedish guide:
-So who did bomb your City during the war? The British or the germans?
-Neither of them, we did it ourself.

The swedish government during the 50s-70s thought that the Swedish cities were unmodern and should be fit for the Car. Therefore was the city centre of almost all Swedish cities demolished, ...
Well, you could say the same thing with great parts of american city centers, for example Cincinnati :
https://www.google.fr/search?q=cinci...DIBEcQ_AUIBigB

Découvrez les sites darly.org & lyonmetro.org
"Si vous ne considérez pas le vélo urbain comme une partie de la solution aux problèmes de déplacement dans les villes, vous êtes une partie du problème".
nanar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2016, 09:11 PM   #5393
SonOfThomp

Likes (Received): 226

All in all, that is VERY good news. If the finished project looks anything like the CG mock-ups, I'd call it a 'win' for Dresden.

By 'filler designs', do you mean that the actual design of each lot is to be determined at a later date?
SonOfThomp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2016, 11:07 PM   #5394
calabrone

Here you can see Hotel Stadt Rom and you can go around over click of the Hotspots. But in the moment is no time for rebuilt to say... A big Problem is the Building between Neumarkt and Wilsdruffer Straße

Link Pano in front of Hotel Stadt Rom / Neumarkt
Link Pano Wilsdruffer Straße

Titan Man, erbse, KlausDiggy liked this post
Old April 23rd, 2016, 11:43 PM   #5395
SonOfThomp

Likes (Received): 226

Yes, Wilsdruffer Strasse is a mess. The whole area north of it should be reconstructed; to do so with 80% and leave the rest makes no sense.

We need this gem, too:

Old April 25th, 2016, 05:50 PM   #5396
bavarian urbanist
Verdens Beste

Likes (Received): 647

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfThomp View Post
Yes, Wilsdruffer Strasse is a mess. The whole area north of it should be reconstructed; to do so with 80% and leave the rest makes no sense.

We need this gem, too:
Feel free to buy the plot and build what you want. This is not communism, so don't expect somebody else/ the state to do what you want.
Old April 25th, 2016, 05:53 PM   #5397
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57847

The city often does as much as it can to prevent good results at and around Neumarkt.
So we shouldn't expect something like this even if he'd buy the plot.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2016, 07:19 PM   #5398
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
The city often does as much as it can to prevent good results at and around Neumarkt.
So we shouldn't expect something like this even if he'd buy the plot.
Well, they are free to do whatever they want with the city they're rulling, but they shouldn't be surprised once they realise Dresden is just one of many cities in the world that has a couple of great attractions, but nothing more. Seriously, even though Dresden is one of world's largest treasuries of art, it's still not recognised by many people in the world. For instance, I showed my sister a photo of Dresden's skyline, probably the best historical skyline in Europe (together with Prague), but she didn't recognise it. At first, I thought it's because she's not interested in architecture or something like that, but then I then it came to me it's because Dresden is not promoted that much as a tourist centre, it's only known to the world as "the city that was destroyed during the WW2" and I think it's just sad, especially since we're bombed with cities like London, Paris, Berlin, Vienna or Prague, and we all know Dresden shouldn't be behind them. Of course, situation is getting better and the city actually attracts many tourists nowadays, but one can't expect millions more to flock to a city with amazing museums and galleries, and then wander around a commieblock area or an area with modern, interchangeable architecture. An average tourist that's not interested in art, but rather in just seeing it for the sake of seeing it, will rather go to some other city where he can have the whole experience. The world has turned into a huge arena where everyone wants to be "The next big thing", and those that don't want to adapt to attract attention, as sad as it is, will fall into obscurity.

ILOVENY, erbse liked this post

Last edited by Titan Man; April 25th, 2016 at 08:45 PM.
Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2016, 08:29 PM   #5399
MikkelAndersen

Likes (Received): 259

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian urbanist View Post
Feel free to buy the plot and build what you want. This is not communism, so don't expect somebody else/ the state to do what you want.
I don't agree. Yes, sometimes it's the owner that decides what should be built - but sometimes it's the citizens too. I think the inner core should be "old" architecture. Then the modern architecture can be built 500 metres away.

erbse liked this post
MikkelAndersen está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2016, 01:53 AM   #5400
emperormadness

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan Man View Post
Well, they are free to do whatever they want with the city they're rulling, but they shouldn't be surprised once they realise Dresden is just one of many cities in the world that has a couple of great attractions, but nothing more. Seriously, even though Dresden is one of world's largest treasuries of art, it's still not recognised by many people in the world. For instance, I showed my sister a photo of Dresden's skyline, probably the best historical skyline in Europe (together with Prague), but she didn't recognise it. At first, I thought it's because she's not interested in architecture or something like that, but then I then it came to me it's because Dresden is not promoted that much as a tourist centre, it's only known to the world as "the city that was destroyed during the WW2" and I think it's just sad, especially since we're bombed with cities like London, Paris, Berlin, Vienna or Prague, and we all know Dresden shouldn't be behind them. Of course, situation is getting better and the city actually attracts many tourists nowadays, but one can't expect millions more to flock to a city with amazing museums and galleries, and then wander around a commieblock area or an area with modern, interchangeable architecture. An average tourist that's not interested in art, but rather in just seeing it for the sake of seeing it, will rather go to some other city where he can have the whole experience. The world has turned into a huge arena where everyone wants to be "The next big thing", and those that don't want to adapt to attract attention, as sad as it is, will fall into obscurity.
To be honest, I think Dresden is usually seen as a one-day stop between Prague and Berlin by most tourists, which is definitely an improvement compared to the past

erbse liked this post
emperormadness no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, construction updates, dresden, reconstruction, redevelopment, rekonstrucje, rekonstruktion, sachsen